• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasMV

I'm afraid replacing VAs is a big deal in Japan. Sometimes it almost feels like it's taboo...

They did change Chuck's VA for his comeback not long ago. And I'm under the impression that Chuck's original VA was someone well-known too.
I know it might not be the same to do so for a character that was once in the main cast, but I definitely think it's possible that they will just hire a new VA if they really want to bring her back.

It's too soon to say at this point, but it is possible that we'll get the return of most, if not all, past companions during this series. So if that's really what they're going for, I doubt they'd leave May out.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Eh, we'll find out when the time comes.

Though it makes me a little curious...IF he becomes a trainer again...ya think they'll bring back his cheerleaders??? :(

I think it would be hilarious if they brought them back, but I can see why some wouldn't want them.

Maybe he gave up on that dream like Ambipom and Brock

Don't forget Axew and evolving

They did change Chuck's VA for his comeback not long ago. And I'm under the impression that Chuck's original VA was someone well-known too.
I know it might not be the same to do so for a character that was once in the main cast, but I definitely think it's possible that they will just hire a new VA if they really want to bring her back.

It's too soon to say at this point, but it is possible that we'll get the return of most, if not all, past companions during this series. So if that's really what they're going for, I doubt they'd leave May out.

Chuck was a COTD in his first appearance. Even unlike other gym leaders of the time, who usually appeared in at least 2 episodes if not more, he literally only appeared in one. It's possible the VA only guested for a one-episode appearance. I think that makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
LilligantLewis said:
Chuck was a COTD in his first appearance. Even unlike other gym leaders of the time, who usually appeared in at least 2 episodes if not more, he literally only appeared in one. It's possible the VA only guested for a one-episode appearance. I think that makes a big difference.

I do agree that when it comes to minor returning characters, it makes sense to recast them since few fans would have a problem with that, and it's probably easier than rehiring their previous seiyuu to do the voices. As for major characters though, I don't think their seiyuu are as easily replaced although the Shigeru situation is still confusing.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

This.

I'd say Gary will be the deal breaker. His VA apparently was surprised with the opening but it can be the case the episode wasn't recorded yet so there was no time to call her.

Psajdak

I have no idea why they aren't bringing May back, but somehow I doubt her original seiyu is the reason, especially if she retired.

Personally, I think it is because authors just don't see her as iconic as Misty, and if I'm not mistaken, even for the latter, years passed between her last appearance in AG, and return in SM.

She's not my first choice but I really hope May and Max return. It's going to be weird seeing Iris without Cilan.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Guys, stop making me feel so much more sorry for Ash with those hypothetical Champion upgrades outta nowhere.
Kinda funny how people were questioning why Iris and Gary get cameos out of all people but ironically they’re the only friends of Ash who were based off Champions in the games. I guess that’s the connection.

DuskAstral

IMO if Gary is even thought of being champion...it would only be right if Iris was champion of Unova.
We don't know if Gary wants to be Champion. And even if he is participating in the PWC, it doesn't have to affect Iris's status. Anyway, looking after the opening game, Iris still has an old outfit, so she is definitely not Unova's Champion (she had a princess design then). As for her, I think there will be a reference to the game "Pokémon White" and it turns out that she replaced Drayden as the Gym leader.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
If Gary doesn't return with THIS as his Theme song then what's even the point of his return? XD (Joking)

Thank you for reminding me that this track exists. I always felt that it was a missed opportunity to not have Ash & Gary fight as some sort of exhibition match for the Battle Tree in SM like Cynthia and Caitlin did in BW. Their in game counterparts are the heads of the BT, anniversary of the franchise, and a lot of Alola’s culture stems from Kanto. Journeys could make something like this happen. Doubt it’ll ever happen but I’d love it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
We don't know if Gary wants to be Champion. And even if he is participating in the PWC, it doesn't have to affect Iris's status. Anyway, looking after the opening game, Iris still has an old outfit, so she is definitely not Unova's Champion (she had a princess design then). As for her, I think there will be a reference to the game "Pokémon White" and it turns out that she replaced Drayden as the Gym leader.
I’m pretty sure most of us know Gary nor Iris are going to become champions in the anime. It’s literally just playful speculation. I was pointing out that IF Gary was champion of the Kanto region (not participating in the PWC because I never said that) then Iris can be the champion of Unova. As far as her outfit goes... I’m not sure that’s a good point considering she still appeared in her old outfit as a champion in BW2 prior to challenging the player.

Last edited:

LucasMV

IMO if Gary is even thought of being champion...it would only be right if Iris was champion of Unova. She was already on Gym leader tier by the time BW ended anyway.

Iris lost to Claire's recently caught Druddigon using her strongest pokemon, Dragonite. I think she was not quite Gym leader tier yet, though I can definitely see her as one now. But from there to Champion there's too much of a gap for it to be believable, imo.

But I also doubt Gary will be Kanto's Champion. I feel like they will write him to have reignited his fire for pokemon battling and probably (hopefully) he'll participate in the PWC, but that's it. I won't lie, it would be a nice full-circle kind of thing if Gary was indeed the Champion, but to go from researcher to Champion off screen is a bit too much.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Iris lost to Claire's recently caught Druddigon using her strongest pokemon, Dragonite. I think she was not quite Gym leader tier yet, though I can definitely see her as one now. But from there to Champion there's too much of a gap for it to be believable, imo.

But I also doubt Gary will be Kanto's Champion. I feel like they will write him to have reignited his fire for pokemon battling and probably (hopefully) he'll participate in the PWC, but that's it. I won't lie, it would be a nice full-circle kind of thing if Gary was indeed the Champion, but to go from researcher to Champion off screen is a bit too much.
Yeah unfortunately the writers decided to make Dragonite disobedient once again (never understood why they made every single one of her Pokémon barring Axew disobey her) which cost her the battle. Realistically though she’d need a couple of power ups to be considered a Champion (or even a really strong Gym leader) like Dragonite obeying her full time and Axew being able to hold his own. Gary being champion isn’t that far out of reach I suppose considering Ash has travelled through three regions since they last met (four I guess if you count Galar) but as we know time doesn’t exist in the anime and like you said it’s a big jump from a researcher.

DuskAstral

we know time doesn’t exist in the anime
Even though the heroes don't grow up, time goes by:
- we have seen many times that the action takes place overnight
- Almost a year must have passed since the end of the SM series to Pokemon Journeys because we met the baby Kukui and Burnet (if time had not passed, he would never have been born)

Status
Not open for further replies.