• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Wait, really? I never knew about this.
Were the XY writters like a completely new team? Else idk how they can forget about the protagonist's mother and the guy that gave him his Pikachu. Like... how?
They literally admitted that during a special interview after the saga was over.

In the same interview, they admitted they ran out of filler, er, episodes after Olympia's gym and that's why the XYZ story was almost devoid of fillers, er, episodes to fool around in. They also said Alain is an Anakin Skywalker expy...if...you squint your eyes hard enough, I guess, and that they wanted Ash to have a very special thing with his Greninja (perhaps subconsciously keeping the kid away from using Mega Evolution) and so they requested Game Freak to do something and created Ash-Greninja for the anime to use (and was rather awkwardly imported - alongside Perfect Zygarde - to the Sun & Moon games).

LucasMV

1) As for Citron, if it does not participate in the PWC, I cannot imagine what other purpose it could appear for

2) As for Serena, I can see two reasons why she can't come back. The first is that controversial kiss, and the second is that she told Satoshi that when she meets him again, she will be a mature woman (which is too early for that)
I don't think Citron would be a PWC opponent at this point. But he could appear in the same fashion Dawn is. They travel to Kalos to solve some conflict and Citron also gets involved. Same goes for Serena, really. Or she could help Koharu work out what she wants to do.

Point is, they don't really need an excuse to bring back old characters. It's mostly fan service at this point. Gary came back to push Go's plot forward in the same way he did with Ash's back then, but they could've used a new character for that too. It's just fan service to use Gary instead.

You could say Dawn came back for DP remakes promotion, but then again Iris also came back and there's not any reason like that for it. It's just why not bring X character back at this point, rather than find a reason and then bring them back.

That's why the only character that I could see not coming back is May, unless they figure out the VA issue. The rest will likely come back just cause they can, so why not?

LucasMV

They literally admitted that during a special interview after the saga was over.

In the same interview, they admitted they ran out of filler, er, episodes after Olympia's gym and that's why the XYZ story was almost devoid of fillers, er, episodes to fool around in. They also said Alain is an Anakin Skywalker expy...if...you squint your eyes hard enough, I guess, and that they wanted Ash to have a very special thing with his Greninja (perhaps subconsciously keeping the kid away from using Mega Evolution) and so they requested Game Freak to do something and created Ash-Greninja for the anime to use (and was rather awkwardly imported - alongside Perfect Zygarde - to the Sun & Moon games).
Wow, that... explains a lot. I guess I know why the series had so little continuity and the League had so few episodes dedicated to it and skipped so many battles.

And about Greninja, it was kinda Game freak's fault to not give any Kalos pokemon a Mega evolution. That way Ash could've used that instead of improvising...that. Or they could've had Ash use Mega-Charizard-Sceptile-Heracross-Glalie but they forgot continuity existed

Specifically, Yajima said it was an oversight.
I don't know how you can " run out of filler " unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Yajima said he knew he only had a year to wrap up things, which led to him also say that was why there was minimal filler in XYZ.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Specifically, Yajima said it was an oversight.
Still sounds like they forgot. That's just a fancy way of saying it, just like saying a waiter didn't greet a customer because he was thinking of something else.
I don't know how you can " run out of filler " unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Yajima said he knew he only had a year to wrap up things, which led to him also say that was why there was minimal filler in XYZ.
Episodes. Episodes. I just brought up "filler" for funsies and because there was very minimal filler during XYZ. (Let's be honest, there would have been much more filler than canon episodes with more episodes anyway. They really couldn't care more about cooking up more canon episodes if they had more room.)

Still sounds like they forgot. That's just a fancy way of saying it, just like saying a waiter didn't greet a customer because he was thinking of something else.

Episodes. Episodes. I just brought up "filler" for funsies and because there was very minimal filler during XYZ. (Let's be honest, there would have been much more filler than canon episodes with more episodes anyway. They really couldn't care more about cooking up more canon episodes if they had more room.)
The term " episodes " makes much more sense in the original post than fillers, yeah.

As far as your second statement goes, sure, that's a possibility, but there's also the possibility that they actually did cook up more canon episodes if they had more room.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
But Oak had his own segment at the end of almost every episode.
Yeeeah, that's what struck me as weird, and perhaps just as weirder drawing a Charizard too much and yet have Ash never make a single mention of his own Charizard.

I'm not sure if that was forgetting or outright denying other things.
As far as your second statement goes, sure, that's a possibility, but there's also the possibility that they actually did cook up more canon episodes if they had more room.
Like giving Noivern more limelight, but it only got two focus episodes.

RafaSceptile

The term " episodes " makes much more sense in the original post than fillers, yeah.

When XY&Z started, Yajima knew that the series had to wrap up everything in only a year, and they did a meeting to basically set up how the events of that year would go. He also specifically says that this is the reason there's minimal filler in XY&Z, there was absolutely no room.

And suddenly, my funsies turned into seriousies.
I can't respond to the post in question because it's two quotes stacked up to each other.

But, yeah? Despite XY/XYZ having " minimal filler, " it still had filler. If they had more time, there would be more filler episodes, but the potential for more " canon " episodes/or for example, more Noivern focus episodes as you mentioned would have also greatly risen. Not really rocket science.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
In the same interview, they admitted they ran out of filler, er, episodes after Olympia's gym and that's why the XYZ story was almost devoid of fillers, er, episodes to fool around in.
Actually, XYZ had several filler were REALLY pointless that dragged things when they SO didn't have time for that crap...

Wait, really? I never knew about this.
Were the XY writters like a completely new team? Else idk how they can forget about the protagonist's mother and the guy that gave him his Pikachu. Like... how?
Me, I think they saw how the continuity in BW didn't help and thought "Huh, people must not like references to previous series after all", instead that it was using elements from previous series used poorly AND as a desperate distraction to cover how bad the saga was...

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think the "oversight" is understandable because of how busy japanese animation can get specially for a weekly show like Pokémon

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Yeah, in the worst case scenario a series can begin production in like three months. Dragon Ball Super basically only had 2.5-3 months to get on its feet. Pokemon tends to have better scheduling but also bare in mind that they were other facts at play.

I know that the 2018 version of GeGeGe no Kitarou was said to keep additional one-off story scripts on hand in case of a last minute continuation beyond the first year. Imagine having to deal with that and then having no idea when the next major game is supposed to be out and whether or not the production committee wants the anime to rebrand.

Using the simple Pokemon branding for this series gives the series as lot more wiggle room in that respect but I also imagine that there are a lot of other factors in play right now. Having less animators on hand, less time and quickly changing winds will inevitably break a series down. We're frankly lucky to have gotten series like Diamond & Pearl and Sun & Moon, where the production and story planning at least kept a vague sense of quality and consistency (more so in Sun & Moon, since it was really only the major episodes of DP--usually written by Tomioka--that were good).

D

Deleted member 384931

The only companions who havent made any cameo/flashback or appearance in JN (JN075) so far:
-Misty
-Max and May
-Clemont and Bonnie
-Serena

Even Tracey did, even if it was just a mention. Same with Brock. Cilan made a flashback cameo in JN065. Iris, Aloloan gang sans Lillie (she appeared through a letter) and Dawn in JN074/075

Status
Not open for further replies.