• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters in PM2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Examples?
Maybe Yugioh Duel Monsters?...after the first season that is xD
At least its continuity, and world building is better than Pokemon's

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Good writing and high-quality storytelling is rare in merchandise driven shows. I think that’s universal between anime and western animation.

I think My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic might be an exception (it’s not anime, but it is merchandise-driven animation). And there might be a Transformers series or two that fall into the exception category as well.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Those are not mutually exclusive. You can have marketability and good writing if some effort is put into it.
Not *all* that comparable to Pokémon but since it's kind of a merchandise-driven show for japanese children, let's try to ilustrate this point with an example...

Ultraman Z had to sell the toys Bandai wanted, do the Ultraman Zero 10th anniversary element Tsubaraya wanted THEN had to face unfortunate circunstances like the main writer passing midway into filming (RIP Kota Fukihara) and the pandemic affecting stuff. Yet the show just kept winning fans' praise and more recently got the Seiun Award of Best Media, beating the Demon Slayer movie.

Fukihara (RIP) and director Kiyotaka Taguchi had a clear vision of what they wanted out of the show and they did bother fitting the toys (aka the marketing) on the narrative they were building. Returning characters were used to the show's advantage not as a hidrance. Z had to include some past Ultras and made said returns be part of the narrative that was building up

Pokémon is just treating it as a hidrance most of the time.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Not *all* that comparable to Pokémon but since it's kind of a merchandise-driven show for japanese children, let's try to ilustrate this point with an example...

Ultraman Z had to sell the toys Bandai wanted, do the Ultraman Zero 10th anniversary element Tsubaraya wanted THEN had to face unfortunate circunstances like the main writer passing midway into filming (RIP Kota Fukihara) and the pandemic affecting stuff. Yet the show just kept winning fans' praise and more recently got the Seiun Award of Best Media, beating the Demon Slayer movie.

Fukihara (RIP) and director Kiyotaka Taguchi had a clear vision of what they wanted out of the show and they did bother fitting the toys (aka the marketing) on the narrative they were building. Returning characters were used to the show's advantage not as a hidrance. Z had to include some past Ultras and made said returns be part of the narrative that was building up

Pokémon is just treating it as a hidrance most of the time.
Oh yeah, this reminds me why I hate/barely praise the way JN is handling old characters. Ultraman can make their old character's returns meaningful to the plot while still telling a new story and selling merchandise yet an anniversary Pokemon series can't?

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I guess May could be ruled out depending on if the rumors are true concerning Kaori but apparently she showed symptoms and signs of her vocal illness even when voicing May back in DP so maybe if she's feeling up to it and the condition is better she'll voice her for a return if asked. Obviously her health should be a priority. Anyway it's not like May ever has to return again considering the remakes have come and gone and there are no foreseeable Hoenn promotion coming up. I'm assuming they just brought back Iris considering Aoi is extremely famous and still working with/for Pokemon.

I guess May could be ruled out depending on if the rumors are true concerning Kaori but apparently she showed symptoms and signs of her vocal illness even when voicing May back in DP so maybe if she's feeling up to it and the condition is better she'll voice her for a return if asked. Obviously her health should be a priority. Anyway it's not like May ever has to return again considering the remakes have come and gone and there are no foreseeable Hoenn promotion coming up. I'm assuming they just brought back Iris considering Aoi is extremely famous and still working with/for Pokemon.
Well then, May's Voice Actress cannot be replaced just because she has a voice problem but She has spent off-screen moment with Serena however, I'd like to think that May is with Serena in my headcanon through, I wish May would return but it's large impossible now.

D

Deleted member 384931

I wonder if we will see an old companion before the end of the year

Serena can return to be with Chloe but not with Ash since they will have to make him more mature in order for them to be in a relationship

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Y'all remember how back in the Hoennn and Sinnoh leagues we had short cut-ins of Ash's friends and family watching him on TV?

I think that's the best way for May, Max, and Serena to appear. We can have a short non-voiced scene of them watching Ash battle Cynthia or Leon.

D

Deleted member 384931

Y'all remember how back in the Hoennn and Sinnoh leagues we had short cut-ins of Ash's friends and family watching him on TV?

I think that's the best way for May, Max, and Serena to appear. We can have a short non-voiced scene of them watching Ash battle Cynthia or Leon.
Idk we will see. All of them being in the stadium would be more symbolic tho

Status
Not open for further replies.