• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Characters with Mega-Evolutions?

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
With Mega-Evolutions coming back in LG, I'm reviving this sucker on the off chance it happens again.

At the very least Misty and Brock will likely come back with their Megas. As well as show off their new outfits ;)

I also hope some other Generation 1/Kanto characters come back with Mega-Evos.
There are other characters who've had Kanto Pokemon over the years, but using characters introduced after Gen 1 to promote a Gen 1 remake isn't very practical (sadly :( )

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
All would be forgiven regarding Swampert's treatment if they evolve Marshtomp offscreen and showcase Brock with Mega Swampert!
But I'm pretty sure Croagunk and all Brock's other non-OS Pokemon will be ignored like last time....

May getting to show up with Mega Venusaur would be pretty sweet too, but again unlikely due to the fact she ain't from Kanto herself.
The only characters apart from Brock and Misty I can honestly see showing up with a Mega is honestly Dawn, but that's next generation. When stuff like Mega Mamoswine or Typhlosion would even be plausible.

I really do hope Brock at least is wearing his LGPE outfit, I don't like his original outfit's design in this art style

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even with the Kanto re-remakes coming up, I can't see that many old OS characters showing up to use Megas. The whole Mega Evolution concept is old by now anyway, so why even bother promoting it.

ShadowForce720

Even with the Kanto re-remakes coming up, I can't see that many old OS characters showing up to use Megas. The whole Mega Evolution concept is old by now anyway, so why even bother promoting it.

Because it's still part of the world of Pokemon, look just because it's not the main focus in Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon like it was in X&Y & ORAS doesn't mean that will never see it in the anime again while it's true that they most likely aren't going to be as common(unless we get another game that has Mega Evolution as a major focus to where they wind up promoting it more commonly in the anime again) as it was back in XY(Z) there still going to show up, same with regional variants and Z-moves there not going to just never show up again just because there not the main focus, simply do to the fact that they are part of the pokemon world.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
The whole Mega Evolution concept is old by now anyway, so why even bother promoting it.

Because it's in Let's Go. So chances are decent it'll come back for the Show.

Heck, they gave Brock and Misty Mega-Evolutions for the heck of in the Kanto field trip when it wasn't promoting anything at all. So chances are fairly even it'll come back to promote LG.

For all we know they may even give more Kanto Pokemon Mega-Evolutions for LG...<.<

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Maybe to draw back the attention of the XY fans with the whole "Oh, look at all those badass temporary transformations!".

But seriously, after how flexible and convenient the Z-moves are, it's hard to go back for Mega Evolutions which are more restricted imo.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Maybe to draw back the attention of the XY fans with the whole "Oh, look at all those badass temporary transformations!".

But seriously, after how flexible and convenient the Z-moves are, it's hard to go back for Mega Evolutions which are more restricted imo.

It's not just XY fans, but majority of the fandom as a whole prefers Mega Evolutions to Z Moves (you'll see way more people requesting for so and so Pokémon to get a Mega Evolution, but far less people wishing for so and so Pokémon to get an exclusive Z Move). And I don't see how Z Moves are more 'flexible', other than the fact that any Pokémon with the right type of move can use any Z Move, but other than that, it's a one time only move that is usually used as a finisher.

Mega Evolved Pokémon last for the whole battle, and with their increased power, offer new ways and means for battles to happen.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It's not just XY fans, but majority of the fandom as a whole prefers Mega Evolutions to Z Moves (you'll see way more people requesting for so and so Pokémon to get a Mega Evolution, but far less people wishing for so and so Pokémon to get an exclusive Z Move). And I don't see how Z Moves are more 'flexible', other than the fact that any Pokémon with the right type of move can use any Z Move, but other than that, it's a one time only move that is usually used as a finisher.

Mega Evolved Pokémon last for the whole battle, and with their increased power, offer new ways and means for battles to happen.
Well, to me I don't like Mega Evolutions compared to Z-moves, and I'm not interested to kiss the standard of the "majority".

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I'm hearing rumours of new megas for LGPE? Probably fake but Ash rematching Surge - Blaine with their new megas would be very enticing to me (especially if there's a chance for Ash to use some older mons)

And I don't see how Z Moves are more 'flexible', other than the fact that any Pokémon with the right type of move can use any Z Move, but other than that, it's a one time only move that is usually used as a finisher.

Indeed, from what I can see in the anime, Z moves are just the same old long fancy stock footage used as finishing moves

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jangobadass said:
Because it's in Let's Go. So chances are decent it'll come back for the Show.

Heck, they gave Brock and Misty Mega-Evolutions for the heck of in the Kanto field trip when it wasn't promoting anything at all. So chances are fairly even it'll come back to promote LG.

For all we know they may even give more Kanto Pokemon Mega-Evolutions for LG...<.<

I doubt that Satoshi will make a second trip to Kanto outside of his probable end-of-saga return to Masara Town however, and since I doubt we'll see more old characters suddenly show up in Alola, I just don't think the odds of him meeting an old character and fighting against their Mega Pokemon is likely.

Last edited:

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
^ I don't know...the fact we're getting a Necrozma arc when they still have over a year to go is somewhat suspicious.

For all we know, they may have the Alola League by the end of the years and have Ash go back to Kanto for the Battle Frontier 2.0 to promote LG. That, or else a LOT more faffing around Alola with slice-of-life episodes.

Even with the remaining Ultra Beasts, Poni-Poni island, the League, and just maybe a Team Skull arc (though that's highly doubtful) they've still got about 50-60 something episodes left in SM...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Meh, the only gyms I'd be interested in seeing again are the Fuchsia, Saffron and Viridian gyms.

Fuchsia as Janine never got an appearance in the anime
Saffron because Haunter
And Viridian to see what's up with the gym now, Agatha still looking over it?

Erika, Blaine, and Surge would be a bit boring to see again.

Because it looks like Gamefreak listened to us fans complain about the lack of Mega Evolution in SM, actually adding it into LGPE when they're ignoring all the other non-gen 1 things like the gen 2-4 evolutions given to some of those Pokemon. Mega evolution could have gotten ignored just like Crobat, Steelix, Umbreon, Electivre and all those other Pokemon.... but it's coming in the games. Mega Evolution is probably going to end up coming back in a more center role now, can't say the same for z-moves as they'll probably sink into irrelevance once this generation ends.

I'm not expecting any actual new Megas, there's not really much they could give Megas to anyways as a good amount of the Kanto Pokemon have non-gen one evolutions and only fully evolved Pokemon are blessed with Megas, but it will be nice to get surprised by new Megas.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Have Paul come back with one of his powerhouses like Torterra and Electivire being able to mega evolve and I'm straight.But of course there's little to no chance of that ever happening so I can only dream.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Have Paul come back with one of his powerhouses like Torterra and Electivire being able to mega evolve and I'm straight.But of course there's little to no chance of that ever happening so I can only dream.

I'd love for Paul to come back with a Mega, but I'd prefer Ursaring or Drapion.

nickdt

I'm hearing rumours of new megas for LGPE? Probably fake but Ash rematching Surge - Blaine with their new megas would be very enticing to me (especially if there's a chance for Ash to use some older mons)

Even if we get new Mega's, i doubt Raichu will get one anyways (It has the regional form + Starter Pikachu cannot evolve, making it basically pointless if Raichu gets a Mega).