• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[OLD] Newbie Help & FAQ - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman_dustin

Is there NO way to increase the time until the site automatically logs the user out due to inactivity.

I hate that every time I write a big post taking me 20 minutes or so to write (IF even that), that I am unable to post because I'm logged out.

Now that alone wouldn't bother me, just sign in and continue. HOWEVER whenever I log back in, my post completely gets swallowed and I get the message that I must type 10 or more character. What the hell my post was MORE than 100 characters, potentially 1000 (maybe), why would logging back in not register the post that I just had so when I logged back in, it would my post my comment.

I'm tired of backing up the pages to my post after logging in, or logging in another tab to avoid the issues that automatically logging out occurs.

I'm not saying its a bad feature, I'm just thinking that its probably set to the lowest possible duration before logging out. 30 minutes to 40 minutes would probably be preferred.

If it is not possible or was decided against increasing it for various reasons, I'll move on and accept it. Just find it incredibly annoying. Especially since outside of always being logged in (which I won't activate for obvious security reasons) that the user themselves don't have the personal option of increasing their own time. Or if it was possible, I have yet to find it in the options.

But again I'll understand if not possible, and will move on.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
Is there NO way to increase the time until the site automatically logs the user out due to inactivity.

I hate that every time I write a big post taking me 20 minutes or so to write (IF even that), that I am unable to post because I'm logged out.

Now that alone wouldn't bother me, just sign in and continue. HOWEVER whenever I log back in, my post completely gets swallowed and I get the message that I must type 10 or more character. What the hell my post was MORE than 100 characters, potentially 1000 (maybe), why would logging back in not register the post that I just had so when I logged back in, it would my post my comment.

I'm tired of backing up the pages to my post after logging in, or logging in another tab to avoid the issues that automatically logging out occurs.

I'm not saying its a bad feature, I'm just thinking that its probably set to the lowest possible duration before logging out. 30 minutes to 40 minutes would probably be preferred.

If it is not possible or was decided against increasing it for various reasons, I'll move on and accept it. Just find it incredibly annoying. Especially since outside of always being logged in (which I won't activate for obvious security reasons) that the user themselves don't have the personal option of increasing their own time. Or if it was possible, I have yet to find it in the options.

But again I'll understand if not possible, and will move on.

Log out and tick the box which says remember me then log in. that should do the trick

Last edited:

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Ihave a question in regards to custom avatars. Is there a reason that externally hosted avatars aren't permitted? I can understand preventing uploading considering the size of the userbase, but the block on externally hosted avatars is confusing to me. I'm guessing I'm just misunderstanding something about the forum software?

I also would like something clarified about the spoiler tag rules for signatures. Is it just nested spoiler tags that are blocked, or is it just total number of tags? For instance, if I were to want a clean signature, and did something like this:

Y Team:
Y team listed here

α Team:
α team listed here

Would that be okay, or is this a case of "this is why we can't have nice things"?

Last edited:

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
I see, that's a shame. I don't like having unnecessarily huge signatures if I can section them off...
What about the custom avatar question? Any idea as to what's going on there?

Last edited:

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Yes, I know how to read. Yes, if they uploaded the images to the site, it would certainly do that. I'm asking about a technical question with that, wondering how exactly the bandwidth is affected differently when uploaded compared to when it's hosted externally. The way I understand it, external hosting shouldn't have such a strain on the site. It is entirely possible that I'm wrong in my assumption, but a clarification from someone who knows the technical stuff would help clear a lot up for me.

Another question involving signatures. I read the rules for signatures, and though I agree with the height restrictions (I actually think it's a bit much, TBH), the width restrictions I'm not sure about in the context of 2016. Those dimensions made sense back eight years ago, but hardly anyone runs a 4:3 monitor anymore, and with 4K on the horizon as the upcoming standard, would it not make sense to update the standards to match a minimum baseline of 720p monitor resolutions? Now I'm not saying to allow a full 1280 wide resolution, nor even 1000px wide resolutions, but surely something as wide as 750-900 would be okay in this age of higher quality screens and bandwidth?

And no, I'm not saying that just because some new girl walked up and told you to do it that you should do something, but I figure that a conversation could at least be started on it.

Edit: Doing the math, switching the current signature limits from the 4:3 standard to an equivalent 16:9 standard yields the following results:

4 / 3 = 1.3333
1.3333 * 420 = 560
600 / 560 = 1.071428

16 / 9 = 1.7778
1.7778 * 420 = 746.6667
746.6667 * 1.071428 = 800

Therefore, if updating to modern aspect ratios, the new dimensions should be 420x800. If nothing else, it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Virtual Headache

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Yes, I know how to read. Yes, if they uploaded the images to the site, it would certainly do that. I'm asking about a technical question with that, wondering how exactly the bandwidth is affected differently when uploaded compared to when it's hosted externally. The way I understand it, external hosting shouldn't have such a strain on the site. It is entirely possible that I'm wrong in my assumption, but a clarification from someone who knows the technical stuff would help clear a lot up for me.
When custom avatars are turned on in vBulletin, there may be an option to enter an external link for your avatar. However the avatar will still get uploaded in the end. That's how vBulletin works (at least version 3.8 did that I believe this one should too). So there is no way to have externally hosted avatars until you install a forum modification.

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Ouch, really? That sucks. Yeah, that'd definitely do it. Thanks for explaining that for me. ^-^

Off chance you know of a better place for me to make my suggestion regarding the signature size/aspect ratio?

Edit: Oh, and off chance y'all have the sprite of the Gen III hex maniac? The witch looking one? Figure if I can't use my usual profile pic, I might as well pick a trainer class that has the right theme going on. Found it~

Last edited:

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Just ran into something. So the forum software doesn't distinguish between URLs being posted and IMG tags? Is there a certain post count I need to reach before I can post the image set? It's a set of 12 pics - one for each pokemon on my team and a "nameplate" for each one of them. Knowing when I can post that many img tags will help me know when I can join in on those conversations. Is it just that flat 10, or is it a scaling thing?

Nevermind - it was just ten. We're good now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.