• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old One Wars: A Cthulhu Mythos RPG

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Sabrina Carter
Rhode Island, Providence, Providence Public Library.
10:40? AM ET

(Kiruria: I’m assuming there was time for Lupin and Sabrina to chat a little before Diego and Halt showed up, but that nothing particularly significant came up, you can add in whatever when you post…)

They waited there a bit longer, before Diego finally showed up. who Luc recognized from her vision, and he had another boy in tow. He had a large black cat peeking out of his sweatshirt. How did that get past security?

Diego came up and hugged Sabrina. She half smiled, it was both awkward and kind of nice. After that, he formally introduced himself and his friend, “Well, I'm Diego and this is Halt. Looks like most of us are together.”

“It appears that is the case…” added a deep voice, “We were all nothing more but Great and Powerful beings, in service of the Elder Gods. However, older than history, virtually no race remembered us. It wasn't until those of us sealed in worlds influenced the dreams and thoughts of storycrafters in order to bring back our legend. One of those was your H.P. Lovecraft.”

Sabrina glanced down at the book she’d been reading. Lovecraft’s writing was full of detail and deep dark emotion. She assumed this authoritative voice to be Cthulhu, she could feel the restless presence of her own Mordiggian. Unlike Cthulhu, he didn’t seem to be big on conversation.

“Now... many of us have woken up inside mortal vessels. I am not sure what the purpose is, but perhaps Azathoth feels that it is a time for great change and you are among those who will decide the new world. Your powers grow stronger as you begin able to influence the world around with you. We are here as guides…" continued Cthulhu.

There was a disturbing crack as the library door slammed open, accompanied by the whoosh of a strong wind. Cthulhu explained this, “It is Byatis... his host has apparently died and he has taken over. It is best if all of you head over to Europe and proceed to stop him. Then, we will prepare for Hastur... However, we have ample time and I know your bodies are still not strong enough to survive without nourishment so I suggest you all go and feed yourselves and communicate before heading east.”

Cthulhu, the tentacled otherworldly horror described in Lovecraft’s, wanted them to go have lunch. What fresh insanity was this? And the change in Mordiggian’s temperament, was he eager to get moving?

Diego took this in a seemingly indifferent manner, “Where do you guys wanna go to eat?”

Sabrina shrugged, “I’ve never been here before, what are our options? Maybe we can find something on our phones…” She reached into her bag with a shutter, remembering Mordiggian’s fascination with the dead bird, and the unearthly hunger. The contorted bodies in Mordiggian’s temple. No, that was not a option. Never.

Maybe she’d go vegetarian.

Delta Hunter

The G-Rank MH
Halt Gao
Rhode Island, library
10:40 AM ET

"It appears that is the case..." A voice said to them in their heads. It was none other than the deep and mighty voice of Cthulhu. They were all together. It was time for explanations...

"We were all nothing more but Great and Powerful beings, in service of the Elder Gods. However, older than history, virtually no race remembered us. It wasn't until those of us sealed in worlds influenced the dreams and thoughts of storycrafters in order to bring back our legend. One of those was your H.P. Lovecraft," Cthulhu explained to them.

"Now... many of us have woken up inside mortal vessels. I am not sure what the purpose is, but perhaps Azathoth feels that it is a time for great change and you are among those who will decide the new world. Your powers grow stronger as you begin able to influence the world around with you. We are here as guides..." Cthulhu continued to talk.

A wind came from the east, causing the library doors to suddenly open. "It is Byatis... his host has apparently died and he has taken over. It is best if all of you head over to Europe and proceed to stop him. Then, we will prepare for Hastur... However, we have ample time and I know your bodies are still not strong enough to survive without nourishment so I suggest you all go and feed yourselves and communicate before heading east," Cthulhu said.

Diego nodded before looking at all of his new friends. "Where do you guys wanna go to eat?" he asked.

Halt gulped a little, nervous. "A...ah....u-um...t..the're s a nice...d..diner chain.."

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
OOC: Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! As such, this post will naturally have a slight romantic tone to it... though only at the end, really.
IC:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I Need You, Now More Than Ever"

Edwin "Lupin" Tasselbury
Providence Library, 10:40 AM

"Huh, so you basically teleported here," Lupin remarked, with regards to Sabrina's mode of transportation here. "Lucky you. I imagine it has something to do with Mordiggian being more associated with death and despair, whereas Tsathoggua's an earth-dweller--and quite the comedian for a Great Old One."

"Hey..." Tsathoggua sassed.

Just then, two more people arrived in the library. One of them immediately gave Sabrina a hug. This was Diego - Lupin had seen him briefly while communicating with him. There was a smaller boy with him, a timid little one with scratch marks on his arms and a little black cat in his arms. A peculiar feeling came over Lupin as he saw him, yet he could neither smile nor frown. But for a second, when he looked at him, he felt as if he was staring at a mirror into his very past. Something about the timid and subdued vibe he gave off... He could only wonder what was making him suffer so. Perhaps his Great Old One, perhaps something much deeper and darker...

"Well, I'm Diego and this is Halt," Diego introduced. Halt... Kind of an odd name, Lupin thought. "Looks like most of us are together."
Most of us... Lupin thought, knowing that Yamiko was still missing.

"Oh, my bad," Tsathoggua chimed in. "Hehheh, I forgot to introduce you to that little guy there. Halt has made a pact with Yig, the fearsome poisonous snake. Though really, what kind of snake god would NOT be poisonous?"

Just then, a voice echoed over the whole library. Jusging by the others' reactions, they heard it too. And Lupin recognized it - the presence within the voice was similar to the presence that had been with Diego when he contacted him. The Call of Cthulhu.

"It appears that is the case... Now... many of us have woken up inside mortal vessels. I am not sure what the purpose is, but perhaps Azathoth feels that it is a time for great change and you are among those who will decide the new world."

Azathoth? Who's Azathoth?
Lupin thought. Is he one of the Great Old Ones too, their leader or something? Immediately he flipped through some pages of the book Sabrina was looking at, hoping to find an answer. But it wasn't too long before he was interrupted by Cthulhu again.

"Your powers grow stronger as you begin able to influence the world around you. We are here as guides..."

Well, that much I noticed. But I dunno about influencing the world around me... Seems my powers are more suited to hiding in the shadows. Which is fine, as that's how I'd prefer it.
Just then, a gust of wind came blowing in from the library. No ordinary gust of wind either.

"It is Byatis," Cthulhu explained. "His host has apparently died and he has taken over."
His host died... I hope that wasn't Byatis' doing.
Still, Lupin doubted Tsathoggua would try to kill him, so he felt safe... for now.

"It is best if all of you head over to Europe and proceed to stop him. Then, we will prepare for Hastur..."
Lupin breathed a sigh of relief. Oh good, that means I won't be stuck here with extra hours of daylight. I hope we'll be in or near England, so that we could pick up Yamiko along the way... And who's Hastur anyway?

"However, we have ample time and I know your bodies are still not strong enough to survive without nourishment so I suggest you all go and feed yourselves and communicate before heading east."

Lupin rolled his eyes at that last comment. It seemed rather odd for a powerful and fearsome deity to be worrying about mortal biological needs. And it didn't help that Cthulhu was suggesting two things Lupin did not like to do.

After Cthulhu was finished, Lupin tried to telepathically contact him to ask about who Azathoth and Hastur and maybe Byatis are, but couldn't reach him. Flipping through more pages of the book revealed Cthulhu this, Cthulhu that... Oh, and Azathoth was mentioned on one page, but it didn't say anything about who he was.
"The idea of being chosen to 'decide the new world', to serve as vessels for the Great Old Ones... all because of some chance incident with odd crystals..."
As he muttered this, he flipped through more book pages, but to no avail. Eventually he had to ask Sabrina if she found anything. Meanwhile, it was Diego's turn to ask a question.

"Where do you guys wanna go eat?"

Halt and Sabrina gave pretty unclear responses, due to not really being too familiar with the area. Halt had tentatively suggested a diner.

"Honestly, I don't care," Lupin finally replied. "I just had lunch a while ago, so I'm not really that hungry."
That was a flat-out lie, because a few nuts hardly constitutes a proper lunch. In fact, he hadn't had a decent meal in at least a few days. Probably as a result of his childhood, he had been struggling with anorexia for much of his life, and although it had been alleviated somewhat over the years, it resurfaced again after the incident with Tsathoggua's crystal.
"Although, wherever we go, I'd prefer it not be a place where we'd have to sit outside or near a window. I'm already used to being nocturnal, but Tsathoggua's influence has made me even more sensitive to sunlight lately."

A pause.
"So we are all chosen by the gods to help change the world..." Lupin added matter-of-factly. "I would never have thought this world could basically turn into a fantasy or sci-fi novel. And it begs the question, why us?"

Upon saying this, he immediately thought of Yamiko, who really ought to have been another of these so-called "chosen ones", wishing that she were here with everyone else. He needed her, now more than ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yamiko Murakage
Right next to Oxford University, UK, 3:40 PM

She walked. Like a ghost aimlessly wandering around the mortal realm, she wandered about the street, her downturned face shadowed by the brim of her hat. Every time she passed by a person, a little bit of fear welled up inside of her, a fear that they too might turn into dust by her hand. There still was that nagging feeling at the back of her mind that a lot of these people deserved to be turned into dust, but it was a thought she quickly pushed out of her mind.

Eventually, she wandered close to the university campus, stopping inside a cafe where a lot of the students usually hung out. However, at this hour on a Friday afternoon, the cafe was empty save for the people working there. Though she was still highly distraught from what happened with Lupin and Merlin's place, and not really entirely present in the real world, she still managed to order a latte without sounding like a crazy person. And she had even remembered to ask for soy milk, since she was lactose-intolerant. After paying, she left an unusually large tip in the tip jar, as if to make up for what she had done to the town.

However, when she finally sat down at a table (she picked a table in the furthest, darkest corner away from the counter), she started to fall apart, tears falling all over the table surface and into her latte. To know that a person who was really close to her had been destroyed, and especially knowing that she was the one responsible for it... the realization was nothing short of unbearable.

Why is this happening? she wondered. Why did it happen in the first place? It's clear that those black crystals were cursed, and what a powerful curse it was too. The nightmares both Lupin and I have been having... I can only imagine what's happening to Lupin as a result of this...
Actually, she knew exactly what happened to him. He had fallen into a fissure which closed up around him. Unless some truly bizarre miracle had done otherwise, he was as good as dead by now.

By that time, she had no more tears to shed, though her body was still trembling with sadness and grief. Her hand shook as she took a sip of her latte. While she did that, one of the cafe workers, who had previously been cleaning tabletops, had noticed her.
"What's bothering you, miss?" he asked.

"Well..." Yamiko was really in no position to talk, but managed to squeeze out a few words anyway. "You... you know how all these buildings and people have been turning to d-dust? Well, I just found out the house my two best friends had lived in vanished, along with both of them..."

The worker came along and patted her on the back.
"That's rough," he comforted. "Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything from several of my schoolmates who were supposed to be at tonight's rugby game... Well, I guess sometimes in times like these, it's better to just not let it get to you. It's not as if it's your fault."

Yamiko froze at that comment. Especially for that last part, she almost wanted to punch him in the face for it. She sat there, not responding any further, tense and stiff. Eventually the worker took the hint and moved away from her, going back to his table-cleaning duties. Too many thoughts and emotions were running through her mind. Anger, confusion, sorrow, and the inevitability of everything being dust in the wind, as Hastur had implied... If only Lupin were here, for she felt that she could tell him anything, even that she was the one responsible for the "dusting" of the world. She needed him, now more than ever.

DVB

Philosopher Knight
Diego Vendrix
Providence, Rhode Island
10:40 -> 11:05 AM ET

Diego awaited to hear the answers from his new friends on where to dine.

Sabrina shrugged, “I’ve never been here before, what are our options? Maybe we can find something on our phones…” she suggested, but she looked a bit bothered by something.

Halt gulped a little, nervous. "A...ah....u-um...t..the're s a nice...d..diner chain..." Diego heard his little bro suggest

"Honestly, I don't care," Lupin finally replied. "I just had lunch a while ago, so I'm not really that hungry."

"Although, wherever we go, I'd prefer it not be a place where we'd have to sit outside or near a window. I'm already used to being nocturnal, but Tsathoggua's influence has made me even more sensitive to sunlight lately."

Diego nodded. It would probably be best if it was a nice indoor place with few windows. As he was thinking, Lupin was speaking.

"So we are all chosen by the gods to help change the world..." Lupin added matter-of-factly. "I would never have thought this world could basically turn into a fantasy or sci-fi novel. And it begs the question, why us?"

"Azathoth is know as the Mad Sultan for this reason, child. He has no reasoning and little rhyme... However, we are now with you all and the more time we spend, the more we are able to gain a better grasp of reality and clarity. You humans are among the last of the stars... perhaps this is why... " Cthulu said. Diego bit his lip.

So humanity was probably alone in the universe... at least, the last lives standing. That didn't suit over with him. Not one bit. "...We gotta fix that," Diego said as he looked for some good restaurants.

"We'll try and find one," Diego said as he led the group out. After some walking, they found a group of people near a nice European join, Paragon & Viva. They were doing a promotional stunt; you and your party can win a free brunch, before opening time.

Diego smiled as he went and signed them in. 5 minutes later, it was time for a drawing and they won a free meal. Randomness. Chance. Luck, Chaos. Insanity. He was becoming connected to it.

"Well guys, I won us a free meal at a pretty nice place," Diego said as he requested a table not close to the windows and to shut a few for Lupin's sake.

"Well, what do you guys want?" Diego said as he looked at the brunch selection.

((So have your old ones speak to you, react to what Lupin said and check out Paragon & Viva. Here is the menu: http://paragonandviva.com/?page_id=27

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Sabrina Carter
Rhode Island, Providence, Providence Public Library.
11:05 AM ET

(I think it’s about time to kill the time gimmick, since we’re all together.)

Halt suggested a diner, in a cute shy sort of way. Lupin insisted that he didn’t care, but wanted to stay out of the sun. That sounded good to Sabrina, “Yeah, I’m not fond of an outside seating either.”

Sabrina didn’t weigh in on Lupin’s comment, but the stillness in Mordiggian presence made her wonder if he was up to something, if in fact a giant shadow worm could really be up to anything. He didn’t seem like much more than a mass of carrion instincts. Maybe he just didn’t understand it? Sabrina felt a lurch in her stomach, okay, no, he understood, and he didn’t want her to even joke that he might not understand.

Diego lead them out and eventually they found a supposedly European style restaurant. Sabrina wondered how that’d sit with Lupin, but since he didn’t seem interested in eating, he probably wouldn’t complain about the taste of the food. Diego signed them up for a contest, and they won. Luck? Coincidence? Cthulu?

They got a table out of the sun and even got the waitress to closed up the window shades a bit. Diego seemed a little egotistical about it, “Well guys, I won us a free meal at a pretty nice place… Well, what do you guys want?”

Apparently they were here in time for the brunch buffet, Sabrina looked at the unnecessary menu (considering they could just walk through the buffet line), and right at the top, prime rib. That sounded pretty good. A nice medium... no, rare piece of meat. Go vegetarian? That was out the window.

She scanned the rest of the list before saying anything; omelets, filled pasta, potato salad made with too much filler, mini bagels. Yeah, the meat. And Mordiggian liked that plan too, and considering he just about made her hurl for doubting his intelligence, she wanted to keep him happy. Sabrina dropped the menu, “I’m thinking the prime rib sounds good… though I should probably get something else with that.”

‘I’m still not eating road kill,’ she told him mentally, putting that on the table was only fair.

Delta Hunter

The G-Rank MH
Halt Gao
Rhode Island
11:05 am, EST

"We'll try and find one," Diego said as he led the group out. After some walking, they found a group of people near a nice European join, Paragon & Viva. They were doing a promotional stunt; you and your party can win a free brunch, before opening time.

Diego smiled as he went and signed them in. 5 minutes later, it was time for a drawing and they won a free meal. Randomness. Chance. Luck, Chaos. Insanity. He was becoming connected to it.

"Well guys, I won us a free meal at a pretty nice place," Diego said as he requested a table not close to the windows and to shut a few for Lupin's sake.

"Well, what do you guys want?" Diego said as he looked at the brunch selection.

Halt shook his head a little. He wasn't hungry, and he knew jetlag would snap in at any moment. For now, he sat next to Lupin, smiling a little to him. Just...something about the tall man felt a bit comforting to the small boy. He noticed the menu, and shivered. "Ew...meat..." he mumbled to himself. If he had to have something, he suprosed some eggs would keep Yig quiet possibly. He looked around, and shivered a little. Star would prefer light, but ah well. Speaking of whom...

Halt set the little ktitin onto the table, and held the small cup of milk to her lips. She licked eagerly, lapping and purring at the same time. He smiled and giggled in his girlish manor. "H-hey...Diego? Do you know anything about these...gods in our heads? I...I never f-found the books that n-nice...g-ggave me too much anxiety..."

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
OOC: Ehh, this post will have to be rather short due to lack of time, so I'll have to post with just Lupin for now. As I recall, a while back I did a post with just Yamiko, so this makes it even.
IC:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edwin "Lupin" Tasselbury
Paragon and Viva, Providence, RI
"Got Milk?"

Lupin was relieved to be out of the sun for the duration of this meal; on the trip from the library to here, he had to briefly pull out his umbrella again to shield himself from the sunlight, and naturally, a lot of the people who entered the free-brunch contest were giving him odd looks because of it (though his all-black outfit and the annoyed expression on his face probably contributed to it as well). As such, he was in a bit of a bitter mood upon entering the restaurant. It didn't seem like a bad place, although there was the inevitable background noise arising from the conversations people at other tables were having. It wasn't as bad as it could be though.

Like Sabrina, the first thing he noticed about the menu was the prime rib. However, he had a more negative reaction to it.
Prime rib? In a restaurant that's supposed to be European? Honestly, I think the only reason why it's even seen on the menu over in Europe is because they got the idea from America.
At least the chicken and maybe the fish sounded legit. But he wasn't exactly in a position to judge this anyway, for A) he was not going to eat much anyway, and B) he was from England, whose local eats aren't exactly the best example of fine European cuisine (except at tea time, which occurs later than brunch).

He noticed Halt had ordered a glass of milk, which he immediately poured in a dish for his kitten. After some thought, Lupin decided to order the same. For him, drinking things was a bit easier than eating things, and he didn't want to end up collapsing from hunger on a crucial part of their adventure. And speaking of Halt, he was looking up at him and smiling, which was something Lupin thought he'd never do. He also noticed the scratches on his arms and places where pieces of his hair were missing. A peculiar look came upon Lupin's face, perhaps something of concern, but before he could say anthing about it, Halt went on to ask Diego something, a question about the gods. This reminded Lupin of something, so Lupin also posed a question, except this time to the group as a whole.

"Hmm, speaking of the gods, have any of you been in contact with a girl named Yamiko? She's my girlfriend back at home, and I ask because she also interacted with one of these crystals." He withdrew from his pocket the black crystal he had stolen from Oxford University's archives, flashing it briefly before pocketing it again. "And she experienced the nightmares and everything, though I never found out which deity she was bound to. I was just with her back in England, but then we got separated as I was transported here. Shouldn't she have been summoned here with us?"

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Sabrina Carter
Rhode Island, Providence, Restaurant
11:?? AM ET

Halt got some milk for his… kitten? It looked like a kitten, but it was awful big. Was that a large cat kitten? What was the legality of this situation?

Lupin ordered a drink when the waiter returned. Sabrina took the opportunity to ask for some tea. She wasn’t sure why she wanted it, as opposed to milk or soda, and she knew wait staff was supposed to hate people ordering tea, but she wanted it.

Halt seemed nervous, asking, “H-hey...Diego? Do you know anything about these...gods in our heads? I...I never f-found the books that n-nice...g-ggave me too much anxiety…”

Sabrina had noticed that. What she’d read was full of references to darkness and insanity, it could certainly bear on one’s mind.

Lupin had a question too, “Hmm, speaking of the gods, have any of you been in contact with a girl named Yamiko? She's my girlfriend back at home, and I ask because she also interacted with one of these crystals.” he showed them the crystal, “And she experienced the nightmares and everything, though I never found out which deity she was bound to. I was just with her back in England, but then we got separated as I was transported here. Shouldn't she have been summoned here with us?”

Yamiko? No, Sabrina hadn’t heard that. But the sight of Lupin’s crystal stirred an emotion she wasn’t quite sure the name of. Empathy? She reached into shoulder bag and pulled out the shard she’d stolen from Miskatonic University. She held it up, it was jet black, but every now and then it caught the light with a flash of orange.

“I haven’t heard from her either, but it’s strange she would not be included,” admitted Sabrina.

DVB

Philosopher Knight
Diego Vendrix
Providence, Rhode Island
11:30 AM ET

"Not alot about them, bro," Diego said as he brought his surrogate baby bro closer and found the kitty lapping the milk to be adorable. "They're supposed to be the Great Old Ones, these semi-divine beings who act as the followers to the Elder Gods, these psycho space gods beyond comprehension. He was then asked of the other girl, Yamiko.

"Don't know anything about her," Diego said before he felt the dark and powerful of Cthulhu's voice booming in their heads.

"She's in grave danger."

"She has become the vessel for my arch-nemesis and my half-brother Hastur."

"In the same way I am the champion of Madness and high priest of the Elder Gods, he is the champion of what you humans call Nihilism. Hopelessess, despair, that is what he embodies and he is currently attempting to break her into submission. That is why she has cut Yamiko off from us.

I can detect she is still strong. However, once you have finished your nourishment, we must go and stop Byatis. This will be the warm-up for the large battle with Hastur. Time is of the essence!"
Cthulhu said.

Once everyone finished eating, it was time to head out, over to Europe.

Diego grabbed Harry and they ended up flying there through a strange realm and where there in seconds.

((Everyone else, make it so you get there fast))

There it was.

Byatis. This spider-like crustacean-like being was terrorizing everything by erasing the memories of those around it before devouring them by the clawfuls.

Everyone's power spiked in the presence of a loose Great Old One.

"This is... AmAzing..." Diego said as he smiled and gained a slightly sinister aura of power. He began to absorb the madness around them as his wings were still out and some bizarre weapon formed in Diego's hand.

He was manipulating madness and turned into a construct.

"All right guys! Let's rock and roll!" Diego said as he flew at them.

((Okay guys, time to show off combat abilities!

Here's a reminder of what you can do: Power List. So fight Byatis and then we're ending the first arc by battling Hastur!