• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old RBY Rules, Help and and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze_87

Seasoned Trainer
Pokemon yellow issues

Hey just recently i've changed the battery in my Pokemon yellow cartridge and all was good till recently its start loosing the save file again and im not sure why as i did crystal and silver at the same time and they are fine

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
^ Maybe your battery isn't properly secured. Try taking it apart and soldering it back on or using some decent tape.

Did you know... If you go to the hotel in Celadon city, and go in front of the place where a PC normally sits, (cause its modeled after a Pokemon Center) you can access a phantom computer and you can duplicate items! (well i had 2 bikes, but i don't know if it works on other items, and if im posting this on the wrong thread then im sorry im new) ALSO!!! You can catch Jynx in Pokemon Yellow in the Seafoam Islands, but they are rare. I also was doing the Lvl 100 before Brock glitch and found wild Lickitounge! (i dont know how to spell it XD)

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Key Items can't be duplicated, and Jynx is literally unavailable anywhere in Generation I outside of the trade in Cerulean City in Red and Blue. You were using glitches. That's where your Jynx and Lickitung came from. These games are about fourteen years old. If there were Jynx in Seafoam Island and Lickitung before Brock, guess what: people would have found them long before you decided to mess with games you are clearly too young to remember. I know this because any idiot who's played Pokemon back when it was new understands the phantom PC is literally common knowledge.

But enough of that. Can someone share with me the best place to grind the starters?

FeasiblePancake

Any recommendations for catching Tauros? (Blue version)

Hi all,

I know there are a few threads out there (including a few here) on catching Pokemon in the Safari Zone. The key message in all of them seems to be patience, which makes perfect sense given that the Safari Zone mostly comes down to luck. I've caught most of the Pokemon in the Safari Zone after a few hours of trying,

However Tauros seems to constantly elude me. I've come across him 20-30 times so far and I have tried different combinations of bait, rock and ball - including just spamming the Safari ball with no baits or rocks. However, I never even come close to catching it. I always get the "Darn! The Pokemon broke free" message. If I throw a rock it immediately runs away and if I throw bait I can't hit it with the Safari ball. Right now I saved my game in Zone 3 and I keep turning off the game if I run out of time before catching Tuaros.

Does anyone have any strategies that have worked for them? If it's just patience and spamming the Safari ball, I'm ok with that I just don't want to be wasting my time if that doesn't work. Should I leave the Safari Zone and come back, instead of saving it in Area 3 and just reloading the game?

I sincerely appreciate any help or advice that anyone could offer. Thank you!!

EDIT: I should also mention that when I spam Safari balls I only get 1-3 chances before Tauros runs away. Is that close to everyone else's experience?

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
^Honestly, I've found that the easiest way to get rare Safari Zone Pokemon is to abuse the Cinnabar coast glitch or whatever you want to call it, where you can find wild Pokemon from the last area you were in by surfing along the right hand coast. So if you go to the area of the Safari Zone where Taurus can be found, then head directly to Cinnabar Island and start surfing along the coast, the Pokemon you encounter will be from that part of the Safari Zone. This way, you can catch Tauros after weakening it and without worrying about it running away. I used this trick to catch a Chansey during one of my playthroughs.

But if you really want to catch it the intended way, then all I can recommend is to have patience and keep trying. It's been a long time since I've seriously tried catching Pokemon from this gen's Safari Zone in the SZ itself, so I can't offer too much advice.

Last edited:

FeasiblePancake

^Honestly, I've found that the easiest way to get rare Safari Zone Pokemon is to abuse the Cinnabar coast glitch or whatever you want to call it, where you can find wild Pokemon from the last area you were in by surfing along the right hand coast. So if you go to the area of the Safari Zone where Taurus can be found, then head directly to Cinnabar Island and start surfing along the coast, the Pokemon you encounter will be from that part of the Safari Zone. This way, you can catch Tauros after weakening it and without worrying about it running away. I used this trick to catch a Chansey during one of my playthroughs.

But if you really want to catch it the intended way, then all I can recommend is to have patience and keep trying. It's been a long time since I've seriously tried catching Pokemon from this gen's Safari Zone in the SZ itself, so I can't offer too much advice.

Thank you for the feedback Aquarelle. I'd prefer to try and catch all the Pokemon the intended way, if possible. I try to avoid glitches and exploits if I can help it. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Masquarr

Most efficient way to level up and train Pokemon traded from NPCs

I know that when you trade a Pokemon with an NPC, the Pokemon they give you is at the same level as the one that you trade with them, but is there any incentive for trading really low level Pokemon with the traders? I also know that if you catch a specific wild Pokemon at a high level, its stats will tend to be worse than those of that same Pokemon if you caught it at a low level in the wild, and leveled up to that high level. So, if you catch a lvl2 Pidgey in Route 1, and grind it up to lvl19, it’ll be stronger than a lvl19 Pidgey that you caught in Route 7.

Is the same thing true for Pokemon that you gain from trades?

I’m asking this because I’m early on into a playthrough of Pokemon Red. (US) I have two Spearows. One of them is at level 10, and the other is at level 15. I don’t know which of them I should trade with the man in Vermillion City in order to get the Farfetch’d. If I trade in the lvl10 Spearow, and grind the Farfetch’d from lvl10 all the way to lvl15, will its stats be any higher, (or lower,) than if I just trade my lvl15 Spearow for a lvl15 Farfetch’d? Thanks.

Aquarelle

Staff member
^If you get the level 10 Farfetch'd and train it to 15, it most likely will have higher stats than if you got it fresh at level 15. However, this will be due to the fact that the lv. 10 Farfetch'd will gain Stat Experience (similar to EVs in the newer games basically) as a result of training against other Pokemon. Pokemon obtained at higher levels are not inherently weaker than those caught at lower levels, they just haven't had the chance to gain Stat Exp. yet. If you catch a Pokemon at level 15 and max out its Stat Exp., its lv. 100 stats will be the same as an identical Pokemon of the same species (ie. same IVs and max Stat Exp. as well) that was caught at level 2.

So, it really won't make much of a difference in the long run whether you go with the level 10 or 15 Farfetch'd. I would decide based on whether you want a higher level Pokemon right away or whether you'd be willing to grind for a while.

zepedro619

[Help] GBA SP + Pokemon Red

Hi,

I've bought an used Game Boy Advance SP and when I tried to play an Game Boy/Game Boy Color game on it (Pokemon Red) I saw an darker area on top of the squared area of the image. It seems like some sort of shadow. My guess is that the cause of that might be the front light 'glass' that reflects the image. If i point a very strong light into it, it seems to disappear, and it is more noticiable in darker places.
Can someone with a similar unit confirm that this 'issue' is normal?

Thanks

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hi,

I've bought an used Game Boy Advance SP and when I tried to play an Game Boy/Game Boy Color game on it (Pokemon Red) I saw an darker area on top of the squared area of the image. It seems like some sort of shadow. My guess is that the cause of that might be the front light 'glass' that reflects the image. If i point a very strong light into it, it seems to disappear, and it is more noticiable in darker places.
Can someone with a similar unit confirm that this 'issue' is normal?

Thanks

I'm looking at my Red on my SP right now, and I can see a dark shadow strip on top of the very top of the game image. My SP has never given me any problems when playing any game, so I guess it's normal. I'd say that as long as your system works and plays your games fine, don't worry about it.

zepedro619

I'm looking at my Red on my SP right now, and I can see a dark shadow strip on top of the very top of the game image. My SP has never given me any problems when playing any game, so I guess it's normal. I'd say that as long as your system works and plays your games fine, don't worry about it.

Is it somehow like this?
i.imgur.com/q11iFDu.png
i.imgur.com/R9EUDT1.png

Jcard363

Hey I have a question about the Mew glitch in Yellow.. Now I know you have to have an abra to teleport right before a battle. But after do you have to have a battle with someone in that route above Nugget Bridge?

That would be the kid with the Slowpoke. All Slowpokes have that stat of 21...

Status
Not open for further replies.