• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Rivals, New Tricks (591)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Pokémon Contest! Tatsuami Convention!

It is time for the next Pokémon Contest. With her rival Kenny partaking in it, Dawn is sure to face a challenge worthy of her skills. Using Ambipom, while Kenny uses Prinplup, the battle will truely show the Pokémon's skills. Will Dawn win her 5th ribbon?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

DANdotW

Previously Iota
This thread isn't for asking what happened. It's for talking about what happened from people who have seen it. Read the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.

I'm glad Kenny won. It's nice that their rivalry isn't one-sided.

Iota

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
This thread isn't for asking what happened. It's for talking about what happened from people who have seen it. Read the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.

I'm glad Kenny won. It's nice that their rivalry isn't one-sided.

Iota

Yeah, I agree. And besides, it just means Dawn'll have to try hard for her 5th ribbon. :)

Bryon

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Dawn may have lost, but I'm sure she will defeat Kenny in their next match!

JasonChu

PikaAsh:o
Boring bull**** expected blablablablabla
metal claw dive boringggg
jessie lost to ambipom -_- boringggggg

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Arrgh...this forum is currently slower than a 10-year-old not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version. Probably because it's being overloaded by - in fact - 10-year-olds not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version.

This week I'm giving a generic episode review for a generic contest, although the animation in my review is probably better. Though Mamoswine is now tame, it seems it is still too prideful to show its yearning for contests, so maybe the big guy's development isn't truly over yet, which would be good given how little development its disobedience stage received (Ribbon 5 screams Mamoswine victory). I also liked Ash having his first interaction with Ambipom in what seems like forever, even recalling his hat-stealing moments (which I oddly just griped about in the DP124 speculation thread).

Contest was rather typical, though James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet's costumes looked oddly familiar. From some Kanto ep, anyone? Vemilion Gym maybe? I also must credit Takeda for making Sukizo's Teeter Dance look so jello-ish. It was hysterical. Generic as Ambipom's appeal was, it was nice to take use of the CG sticker effects for once, making them slightly less meaningless. And in case anyone's wondering, Machoke does belong to Kenny.

The main battle was pretty stale, and I know someone will complain about Ambipom being able to attack and defeat a Haunter. Glad the lead female finally lost a chance at Ribbon 5, and also glad Kenny got a win since he's obviously losing to Dawn at Grand Festival. Also, that vertical pan of Marian was totally scandalous. And apparently Meowth is discussing tactics to earn Jessie a 3rd ribbon himself. Heist or actually participating in a contest and winning? The latter would be awesome, but it's gonna be interesting either way seeing as how the writers truly are intent on having Jessie make Grand Festival.

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Arrgh...this forum is currently slower than a 10-year-old not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version. Probably because it's being overloaded by - in fact - 10-year-olds not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version.

This week I'm giving a generic episode review for a generic contest, although the animation in my review is probably better. Though Mamoswine is now tame, it seems it is still too prideful to show its yearning for contests, so maybe the big guy's development isn't truly over yet, which would be good given how little development its disobedience stage received (Ribbon 5 screams Mamoswine victory). I also liked Ash having his first interaction with Ambipom in what seems like forever, even recalling his hat-stealing moments (which I oddly just griped about in the DP124 speculation thread).

Contest was rather typical, though James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet's costumes looked oddly familiar. From some Kanto ep, anyone? Vemilion Gym maybe? I also must credit Takeda for making Sukizo's Teeter Dance look so jello-ish. It was hysterical. Generic as Ambipom's appeal was, it was nice to take use of the CG sticker effects for once, making them slightly less meaningless. And in case anyone's wondering, Machoke does belong to Kenny.

The main battle was pretty stale, and I know someone will complain about Ambipom being able to attack and defeat a Haunter. Glad the lead female finally lost a chance at Ribbon 5, and also glad Kenny got a win since he's obviously losing to Dawn at Grand Festival. Also, that vertical pan of Marian was totally scandalous. And apparently Meowth is discussing tactics to earn Jessie a 3rd ribbon himself. Heist or actually participating in a contest and winning? The latter would be awesome, but it's gonna be interesting either way seeing as how the writers truly are intent on having Jessie make Grand Festival.

I wish I had seen a Jessie's Yanmega vs. Dawn's Ambipom in this episode, with Jessie winning.

pokefan16

just saw the episode

it was a great episode really, the contest appeals are great especially ambipom and I'm kinda shock that kenny's machoke do carry a heavy thing( forgot the word) and impress the audience and i think it just use bulk up I think so. Oh i lol at mime jr.'s appeal it's kinda funny and great too.

I also noticed that Ambipom is getting the spotlight in the episode like focusing him more in the appeal and in the battle. btw, ambipom just defeated a HAUNTER but that's impossible but how!

too bad it lost as (speculated) with just 1 hit. Prinplup's attack was Drill Peck?

This just give me a thought that ambipom might leave. Oh no! this can't be

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
So basically Machoke is just flexing its muscles for its appeal. That's pretty typical.

thunderblade12

- Ambipom is training with Pikachu and Empoleon for the ping pong tournement
- Jessie uses Mime Jr for the appeals and Seviper for battles
- Dawn uses Ambipom for both
- Kenny has an...interesting...apeal with Machoke and uses Prinplup in the battles
- Like the last contest, Mamoswine was watching with slight interest.
- Dawn beats Jessie(Barely)
- Prinplup vs Ambipom is basically nothing but a ping pong match with bubblebeam. Not so good.
- Kenny owns Dawn.
- Ambipom shows interest in ping pong

Bell56

The One and Only
So what normal attack did the writers let hit a ghost type to defeat Haunter? Was it Double Hit? I hate how they blow the continuity of the characters having to learn that you must not use normal or fighting type moves on Ghosts like this when they could have just stuck a different type in there to lose in 2 seconds.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Aaaaaand...my prediction of said complaint was dead on-target. Mad props to Joe for using that exact picture to headline on the main site.
So, Manene now knows Meditate? Is that what it did before using Teeter Dance?
I'm not sure whether Mime Jr. was using the attack Meditate, however. It didn't even occur to me, as I just assumed it and Jessie were meditating to build up the suspense for Teeter Dance.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
It's still Kinoshita, but I must say the HD certainly makes it noticeably nice to me. So, that's good.

Hmm, nice to see Mamoswine still has a bit of disobedience left in him. I really like the big fella, which is odd because just a few months ago I was forgetting Swinub was even on Dawn's team. He's probably my favorite member of Dawn's team now. I feel sorry that couple they showed standing right in-front of an enormous tusked beast. Reminds me of Gravy's sig.

Nice to see Jessie bringing up Ulala's battle style, because at the end of the last Contest she stated she would try her method of using poses to enhance the attack or something like that. I really didn't understand what the strategy Ulala used was exactly. Team Rocket's Ouendan Costumes return! Wobbuffet certainly can rock those shades.

Ash remembering Aipom's past is nice, but it seems kinda ominous at the same time. I think those are new shots too. Hopefully it gets a nice montage scene if it leaves next week.

Shellder...I don't think we've seen one of those for awhile. Also, the *** Cannon appears. Machoke is one of those Pokemon I don't get tired of, they're just cool. I wonder, was that supposed to be Strength it used? Kenny also shows a surprising amount of balance and upper body strength. 0.o

Flareon is pretty much faithfully close to how it is in the games. It loses. Seeing people on Bulbagarden call Seviper "Habu" is pretty funny.
Oh, apparently Meowth claims he'll win the next ribbon for Jessie. Nice.

But yeah, Kenny wins. That guy is ****ing awesome. An alright episode. Nice one for Kenny fans!

thunderblade12

I will be happy if Meowth really does win the next ribbon for Jessie. The writers remembered Jessie's promise to use Ulala's style in the next contest so maybe they will come through with this promise too.

If it's Dawn's next contest then Meowth will get thrashed, but I think it could win if it was up against unnamed characters like Yanmega was in the Fantina episode

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
While some think this episode was good since Kenny won, I for one disagree.All this episode did was refuel my hatred for that little prick.I haven't seen a contest win that cheap since May in her Hoenn Contest battles.They totally just ended it so quickly with that retard peguin winning.OOOH Shiny Metal Claw skydive.If you ask me that was really lame.Ambipom was totally in control of that match, the the little cheap peguin just pulls a win basically out of his a**.I hope that Dawn never loses to him again like that or maybe even lose to him at all anymore.It was like the entire I was thinking"Why the hell is he even here?"i would rather have her lose to a random COTD than him.But I guess one thing was good about her losing.It gives her chance to OWN him twice as hard in the Grand Festival...Also Ambipom ain't going nowhere.Seems to me that its just a normal filler episode for the Ping-Pong ep.Also Jun FTW man!!!