• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Rumors Die Hard

Lady Umbreon

I was working at an elementary school today. Two first grade boys started talking about Pokemon and got on the subject of Mewtwo. They started listing the different kinds of Mew, including "Blue Mew" and "Metal Mew". I explained to them that one was just Mew's shiny color and the other was a rumor started because of pictures from the first movie of Mewtwo in his armor.

This is the second time I've had to debunk a version of the Mewthree rumor. Two years ago a boy told me his favorite Pokemon was Mewfour. Ow. None of these kids were even born when "Mewtwo Strikes Back" came out. How did they even hear about this? Next thing you know they'll be asking how to catch the PokeGods.

So, anyone have a similar experience?

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
These people keep telling me Pokemon is a game for kids, but I keep telling them it's not!

Firebrand

Indomitable
Aw, it's kinda cute. We all remember swapping those stories on the playground with our friends, about the secret glitches and pokemon lore that may or may not have been true. Now it's moved on to the younger generation. It's like a tradition still being kept alive. That's really heartwarming.

Bubble Beam

Bubble Buddy!
Aw, it's kinda cute. We all remember swapping those stories on the playground with our friends, about the secret glitches and pokemon lore that may or may not have been true. Now it's moved on to the younger generation. It's like a tradition still being kept alive. That's really heartwarming.

Agreed, this so much.

That's good some of the kids know of the old stories, and (alot of) people say that they only know gen V pokemon. ._.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I was working at an elementary school today. Two first grade boys started talking about Pokemon and got on the subject of Mewtwo. They started listing the different kinds of Mew, including "Blue Mew" and "Metal Mew". I explained to them that one was just Mew's shiny color and the other was a rumor started because of pictures from the first movie of Mewtwo in his armor.

This is the second time I've had to debunk a version of the Mewthree rumor. Two years ago a boy told me his favorite Pokemon was Mewfour. Ow. None of these kids were even born when "Mewtwo Strikes Back" came out. How did they even hear about this? Next thing you know they'll be asking how to catch the PokeGods.

I like there are still wome who aren't complete genfyverrs, but some that like them too, vut this is just kind of taking it too far :p

I remember my classmate asking how to get the MiniManafie (even spelled it wrong) in Eterna Forest... Um, what?

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I like there are still wome who aren't complete genfyverrs, but some that like them too, vut this is just kind of taking it too far :p

I remember my classmate asking how to get the MiniManafie (even spelled it wrong) in Eterna Forest... Um, what?

MiniManafie? Never heard of that. All I can make of that is: Mini Manaphy. Rofl.

OT:
I heard a rumor once if you kept your gameboy on for 48 hours infront of the shrine at Ilex Forest Celebi will appear to you as level 5. (Heard it on school.) Like 10 years ago. Never tried it out because I was afraid it that my battery's would die. xD

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
MiniManafie? Never heard of that. All I can make of that is: Mini Manaphy. Rofl.

i hink he was reffering to Phione, which comes from an egg made by Manaphy, so you would think Phione would be smaller than Manaphy... Oddly enough, Phione is bigger than Manaphy o_O

Pokeminem

Gary Oak Fan

Just shows that today's adults are letting there kids like the classics like Pokemon

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
I'm just happy that they actually know about the original generation(s). In my experience, all younger children I've come across that play the Pokemon games are quite central to gen 5..

LizardonX

Banned

Yeah only It was a rumor that actually worked. It was Missingo

halloweenghost

the internet is how they knew.. stuff can survive forever online.. it's like urban legends passed on over the years...

but my most annoyed would be..

this gen is the last gen.. and then they give dumb reasons why -_-

I know a couple of kids who finally heard about Mew being under the truck. It's funny, because they only really have gen 4 games, so they don't know what this "truck" is.

Bluemiracle

Biologist

Lady Umbreon

I've never met a kid with a generational preference. They tend to judge Pokemon based on looks and power. Most don't really have a concept of "generation" since they've only lived through one or two (this year's 5th graders were in kindergarten when Gen 4 started). To the first graders I was talking about Mewtwo is just as new as Genesect.

At least those kids listened to me. I've had kids stick with their misinformation even after I've pointed out the truth. One boy (who had previously told me he wasn't allowed on Pokemon fansites and his Internet usage was closely monitored) insisted that Wonder Guard Shedinja was given out as a Wi-Fi event.

Last edited:

emilyshortcake

good left undone
It honestly makes me so happy they even know about the original 151 Pokemon, lol.
It makes me not feel like an old 18 year old fart.

cantavanda

Blue Rose Princess
Well, there are a lot of youtube videos about people modding the games to make it look like mewthree was a real event and catch them. I believed them as a kid so they probably also.

Hilda

The catch Deoxys in space, and then with it go to the lady next to the white rock in Mosdeep City and get a Jirachi.