• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Rumors Die Hard

Kyou_kun

Gotta love those old rumors. In my circle of friends we had one where we speculated on how to get Celebii. (bring a team of shinies to the shrine)

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
The Mewthree joke is older than time itself.

And I suppose Genesect might as well be the closest to Mewthree that we'll ever get.

Mefista

I hate fujoshi
I don't know about those rumors,but there aer people who genuinly believe that lavender town creepypasts *ones wit Buried alive,ghost etc* refer to real events

DX 2401PT

Monitor
Oh, I've done my share of Pokemon-Myth-Busting.

Generation I:
- "Catch all 150 Pokemon, talk to Prof. Oak and he gives you Mew"
Nope. All he says is "Wow! Great job!" (more or less) and stares at you blankly. GameFreak gives you... a diploma that has absolutely no value.
- "Use Strength to move that truck in SS. Anne to find Mew"
Nope. Apparently that truck has its parking brake up. It won't budge. Ever. Nothing underneath.
- "Catch Missingno. and the game crashes"
No. Depends on the Missingno. variant. I caught my favorite variant (Kabutops Fossil) and my Yellow is still alive. That awesome sprite wasn't retained, but it's still a Missingno..

Generation II:
- "Catch all 250 Pokemon, talk to Prof. Oak, and he gives you Celebi"
Heard that one before. Just like in Generation I, all he says is "Congratulations" and that's it.
- "Breed a level 30 female Abra with Everstone with a male Meganium to get a Celebi Egg"
That's stupid. Results: level 5 Abra. Yay?
- "Take 6 Unowns to the Ilex Forest Shrine. The Unowns must spell CELEBI for it to appear"
... Nope. Doing that will just get you a team of worthless letters.
- "Stand in front of Ilex Forest Shrine for 8 hours for Celebi to appear"
Nope. Had my Gold on in front of that shrine for 8 hours while I did some... productive stuff on HG. Results: my guy just stared at that shrine for 8 hours straight like a vegetable.

Generation III:
- "Catch all 200 Pokemon, go to Mossdeep Space Station to go into space and catch Jirachi"
Lots of things wrong with that. Why would Jirachi be in space? I talked to everyone in that space station. All I got was... a Sun Stone.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Let's be honest: getting Mew or Celebi by the supposed way of getting all others beforehand is a better completion reward than a piece of paper you can't even use to wipe your *** with.

DX 2401PT

Monitor
Another for Generation II:
- "Defeat 251 Pokemon in the Ilex Forest in a row and Celebi appears"
Tested this at the same time as my test for EVing in GSC. 251 combined kills of Oddish, Zubat, and Paras. Results: no Celebi (duh, the rumor is pure bull-), and no notable increase in stats upon level up (level 70 Mewtwo from Yellow, so no EVs gained already).

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
As far as rumors go and which ones I've heard personally in my area, I'd have to admit that I'm likely the only man in the tri-county area who even knows what Pokemon is. Even when Gamestop and TRU events have been going on for half a month, all of the stores in my area are virtually desolate - I'm the only guy who ever attends them. Oftentimes, they're not even prepared out of self-convenience, and I end up forcing them to bring out the preparatory Nintendo-issue distribution cartridge (They still exist, they're just not used as much as they were in Gen III.) This is likely a result of my sub-state culture differentiation. After all, I'm less of a Central Californian and more of a Southern Californian.

But I remember believing a lot of the long-winded and impossible cheats back in Gen III, like the ones emulated in the "Never-ending Cheat" thread. Per example, I used to believe in the Space Deoxys "Cheat" to a small extent, but things change in six years. Speaking on personal terms, I still mash the A button out of habit when a Pokeball is being used.

Hudsonn98

Someone told me once that Nidoking had a evo chain of 4. Of course I was a believer though never questioned what that extra evo was....hmm

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I remember I disproved a lot of rumors in 4th gen.

Like poster above, mythbuser list.

Govto Eterna forest with a Shiny Jirachi, Pikachu, and Mantyke to open a secret room where you can catch Shaymin Lava Form
Ok, I went to every single spot ere, and no secret room whatsoever.
If you evolve Phione into Manaphy, you get a special Water Key to unlock the secret stash in the Exchange Building in the Battle Park.
Basically disproves itself as Phione and Manaphy, as legendary Pokémon, do not evolve nto or from eachother.
If you go to Spear Pillar early, and use the Azure Flute to capture Dialga, Palkia, and Mewthree (this person thought Arcues was the fabled Mewthree) and then go to the Spear Pillar later on, when Cyrus is there, he will start slapping you and have a mental breakdown, and then falling off the mountain,
Dialga/Palkia does not appear if you got to the Spear Pillar early, and Mewthree does not exist.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Here's one that went around my school:

Play one of the games (Red, Blue, or Yellow, it doesn't matter which) for 100 hours straight, without stopping, and you'll get to see Mew.

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Here's one that went around my school:

Play one of the games (Red, Blue, or Yellow, it doesn't matter which) for 100 hours straight, without stopping, and you'll get to see Mew.

That's true... You'll be so tired from playing that you'll hallucinate into seeing mew

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
^ I actually thought about saying that!

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
My friend told me that you could fight the ghost in the mansion in Eterna Forest, and you got to battle Latios and Latias. You can´t even move when the ghost is in the house!

zozo

SLIMED!
Let's see... I know a couple of 3rd/4th graders were telling me something about how you needed to take certain Pokemon (They were legendary ones, forget which ones) somewhere in the White game to make Meloetta appear. Or was it Victini? Anyway, it was one of the event-only Gen V Pokemon, and it was a really lame thing that gets started the same way all these other lame rumours get started: Some friend of theirs told a friend of theirs who told them that that's what would happen, and it's the kind of crap that can take a long time to disprove if you can't get hold of the legendaries needed to "unlock" it.

So, not only are the old ones still circulating, but it appears that new ones are being formed as quickly as new games come out.

Of course, I did believe that thing about the fighting Jirachi on the moon. Something about talking to the guy who tells you how many successful launches there have been, and if he says a certain number (I think it was 00, but this was years ago that I heard it) you'll be able to take the rocket to the moon and capture Jirachi. I tried for about 5 minutes to do it, then gave up figuring I'd have to have an event ticket to get the guy to say the correct number or something, lol!

PokeTimmy

Collector
I'd like to claim that I'm not the type of person to believe these pokemon myths, but to this day I still press "a" when the pokeball closes and the directional buttons (left d-pad when the pokeball shakes to the left, then right d-pad when it shakes to the right, etc.) when trying to keep the pokemon inside.

Plus I really want an OT mew so I would definitely at least TRY the "use strength on the truck" suggestion back in the day. That's how these myths work - they are born from hopes and dreams.

TwitchyAssTaillow

I remember the BS rumor about the next evolution from Charizard called "Charcoal". Now back when were kids we almost believed anything and I think this rumor was spread post 2nd gen... I was skeptical about it and when GEN 3 came out, I saw the Pokemon Torkoal... whom I thought was misinterpreted as "Charcoal" or something like that. I remember asking what this so called Charcoal looked like and they said he had no wings which made me think that Torkoal was probably what they saw... Honestly guys, don't take this as something serious...

I honestly do not know WHY or WHAT was going on with that rumor. The Torkoal thing was just something I used as a theory to that rumor...