• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Rumors Die Hard

I dont have anything similar but i remember the good old days. I told my friends and teacher once that Onix would get an evo named Steelix and both the teacher and the kids said "no youre wrong stop lying."

:/

Last edited:

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
Aw that story is pretty cute. c: I totally remember sharing rumors with my friends when we were little but since we didn't have any internet, we all believed the speculations. But I could imagine that it would be easy for kids to believe in Mewthree or things like that because it's so easy to find fake videos of him on YouTube and what not.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
I'm also curious how it started, but I know this myth was born during the Pokemon Gold/Silver days (could be earlier).
I dunno, this rumor just quickly spread on the internet and people just started doing it. Some people said it worked but was never really proven true. XD
It didn't help that sometimes it seemed like it worked (catching a perfectly healthy Dialga with a pokeall for instance), forcing one's mind to compensate for all that times that it doesn't work with "I must have missed the timing" or something

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
Show him the first movie. Neither Trolls, nor Hackers, nor Pirates have enough money to create an entire animated movie, unless their movie looks like Mel-O-Tunes or Clutch Cargo.

Thanks. Hopefully he'll finally realize how wrong he was the whole time and stop being so obtuse.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
If he doesn't believe that, try to find a copy of Guniess World Records 2001. In 2001, Pokemon Yellow version was the fastest selling game of all time. That will at least prove that older games exist.

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
I remember someone trying to pull off a Minusle hoax. (Minun + Plusle in one Pokemon)

Yeah, no.

EDIT: And the random YouTube videos of people battling 100 Unown and then a Celebi appears. Or where you tap the badges in Diamond/Pearl in front of the Celestic Town shrine and Celebi appears.

Yeah, no.

Last edited:

Lady Umbreon

Im starting to think this kid is only trolling you. He sounds a little too stupid for a pokemon fan.

Good point. Treating him like a troll might be the best course of action, Neon Squirtle. Don't seek him out, don't show him anymore proof. If he comes to you and spouts more "facts" laugh and say that you know he's just joking. If he really is joking then he'll know he can't mess with you anymore. But if he truly believes this crud then you can shift the burden of proof to him by asking him for evidence. Let's see him prove that Red & Blue were faked.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Good point. Treating him like a troll might be the best course of action, Neon Squirtle. Don't seek him out, don't show him anymore proof. If he comes to you and spouts more "facts" laugh and say that you know he's just joking. If he really is joking then he'll know he can't mess with you anymore. But if he truly believes this crud then you can shift the burden of proof to him by asking him for evidence. Let's see him prove that Red & Blue were faked.

Exactly. How can he actually have proof of Gen I being fake if there is none?

Espeon EX

On-and-Off User
Yes, but my guess is he found it on the internet, a lot of kids believe anything they see on the internet. Well if my link doesn't work, try seeing him as a troll, like the people above me said.

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
I saw a video that said that if you went until certain par4t of Hoenn in Emerald without catching any Pokémon, a Celebi would appear in your Box. Me and my brother tried this a thousand times, but it never worked :(

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Yes, but my guess is he found it on the internet, a lot of kids believe anything they see on the internet. Well if my link doesn't work, try seeing him as a troll, like the people above me said.

there doesn't seem to be any rumors though about this. A more plausible idea is that maybe he has an older sibling who decided to feed him false info.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
I dunno if it has already been mentioned but I think this rumor is still one of the famous ones...
Pressing "DOWN + B" while catching a Pokemon helps catch Pokemon a lot easier.

We know that it's just a myth and really does nothing at all but I think many players still do this out of habit. Myself included. XD

I still do this as well, even if I use my AR with a 100% capture code. It's truly a habit that's hard to break :)

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...

You're probably right.

Anyway, back on the topic of rumours, I used to believe that mashing the A button on a DS would make moves hit more often. I realised it wasn't true, but still do it out of habit. Also, when I was googling tips on catching Pokemon so I could get an Eevee for my White2 and I found people saying to swear into the microphone to double the catch rate. Eh, nope.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I used to believe that if you froze a wild pokemon you can always catch it no matter the health or level. My friend also said that he caught a frozen Rayquaza with a Poke Ball.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Some of my friends believed the rumor about going to the moon to catch Jachari/Deoxys, and they wouldn't believe me when I told the its not true.

Someone also told me you could join Team Magma in Ruby. Since I had Sapphire I really had no way to test it out and I for some reason believed him.

Espeon EX

On-and-Off User
Some of my friends believed the rumor about going to the moon to catch Jachari/Deoxys, and they wouldn't believe me when I told the its not true.

Someone also told me you could join Team Magma in Ruby. Since I had Sapphire I really had no way to test it out and I for some reason believed him.

I wish you could join the evil teams!

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
I wish you could join the evil teams!

GF have to make a spinoff where you can play as Maxie or Archie and go on to start Team Magma/Aqua and actually succeed in your goals. And get to pick your Pokemon and aren't stuck with a Crobat and Mightyena.

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
I still do this as well, even if I use my AR with a 100% capture code. It's truly a habit that's hard to break :)

It really is. I still mash the A and Y on my DS, I can't help it.

GF have to make a spinoff where you can play as Maxie or Archie and go on to start Team Magma/Aqua and actually succeed in your goals. And get to pick your Pokemon and aren't stuck with a Crobat and Mightyena.

I'd love a game where you get found by Max/Archie and sign up to be a member, then you'd have to rank up or something until you become the leader.

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
In elementary school, I once heard that when you beat the Elite 4 in Diamond & Pearl a number of times (idk the exact number, it was around 50 or something), a pc would appear in a cave somewhere, and with that pc, you could clone pokemon. I didn't try it, but a lot of my friends did. Didn't work of course....
I still want to believe there is something in the games that even Serebii doesn't know about though.... like a secret trick you have to do to get a legendary.... But I know that isn't true:(