• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old School Anime

Toki Hakurei

Omae wa mo shindeiru
Remember back in the day when anime wasn't outrageously overrated on a narutard huge scale? Remember when the storyline was simple and to the point with little to no filler that popped up out of nowhere? Remember when the artwork and animation were slightly grainy which gave it that retro look?

THIS IS WHAT THE 80's WAS ABOUT:

-Super violence:
[IMG139]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1203/explodinghead.jpg[/IMG139]

People getting ripped apart by gunfire, turned into goo by toxic waste, or mutating into giant babies and then exploding, the 80's is all about blood, gore, and violence all the time.

-Jingoism:
[IMG139]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5007/1177973484473su4.jpg[/IMG139]

It's the 80's and that's means dirty Communist infiltrators trying to destroy our democratic, capitalist way of life! Trust no one, particularly your neighbors and family members!! Even your aged grandmother could be pining away for the silver-tongued teachings of Lenin.

-Unbridled negative attitude regarding the future:
[IMG139]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7952/wastelandd.jpg[/IMG139]

The 80's were fun, but we all figured that the world was about to go to hell in a hand basket by the time the 21st century rolled around. It was all about post-apocalyptic wastelands ruled by brutal gangs and dystopian futures ruled by a handful of super-powerful megacorporations.

-Juvenile delinquency:
[IMG139]http://kyrasato.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/30ttqbn.jpg[/IMG139]

Nothing says 80's like sticking it to the man by riding your motorcycle really fast and burning stuff in the street. And it's all cool, because the government's so corrupt that it deserves it.

-Child-like innocence:
[IMG139]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EXgDI8DeN_E/SgCm25E_YsI/AAAAAAAADvQ/eMCQdUtwzNQ/s400/kikic1024_768.jpg[/IMG139]

While seemingly at odds with many of the other defining characteristics of the 80's, they were also, nevertheless, a time of child-like wonder and innocence. Many a fantasy movie reveled in this feeling and have, in recent years, become a continued source of such feelings. Nothing says nostalgia like the 80's!

Note:
The only kind of anime you can discuss here are the animes that aired between the years of 1970 (or earlier) - 1999.

DISCUSSION OF CURRENTLY AIRING ANIME IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED FOR IT IS NOT WORTH COMPARING OVERRATED NEW AGE ANIME TO CHERISHED CLASSIC ANIME.

sapphire_addict

Brooklyn rage!
Vampire hunter D beats the crap out of most newer anime, the same goes for most older ones.

Toki Hakurei

Omae wa mo shindeiru
Hokuto no Ken got the super violence part perfect with martial arts that can make people explode from the inside out.

Ranma 1/2 made me laugh like crazy with all the crazy situations that Ranma got in.

G Gundam made the Gundam series look totally manly.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball Z, G Gundam, Pokemon, Ninja Scroll, and Yu Yu Hakusho are about as Old School as I get

Zazie

So 1991
Remember when boxed sets cost 200 dollars and having to buy subs or dubs seperately. The "old days" weren't perfect. And not all old anime are good either most of the bad "old school" anime has either been forgotten or never made it here.

Anyway most of the anime I enjoy is of the older variety. Some of my favorites include:
Crayon Shin Chan
Slayers
Ranma 1/2
Case Closed/Boy Detective Conan
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
YuYu Hakusho
Tenchi Muyo!/Universe
Sailor Moon
Kodocha/Child's Toy
Gundam the 8th MS Team

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Trigun, it is amazing and old. Actually, it is even popular now, just go to an animé convention, you are most likely to find a Trigun cosplayer! Also the older Gundam series are way better than the newer ones. There are still some good newer ones but they are hard to come across. Most animés now a day rely too much on fanservice to keep their audience attached.

Waldorf

ungrateful
There were no "old days" for me beyond a handful of series aired during afternoon television blocks for children. I mean, there was no such thing as "anime" here, just "Japanese toons". These were:

3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Simply called Marco here, it's a 52-episode series about a kid who crosses half the world in search for his mom. As the original title so aptly explains. I never watched much of it, there was a lot of wailing, but some of my older friends remember it fondly. I think it is still re-run incredibly early in the morning.

Saint Seiya
One of the biggest anime series of the eighties in Japan slipped completely under the USA's radar, but here it was a huge hit. Huge, only matched by Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, and, for a couple months, Ranma 1/2, before parents realized it was essentially about a magical transsexual and it was taken off the air. They even showed the movie in theaters and I dragged my mom to see it with me, and she loathed me for it. I loved it, but boy was Shun gay.

Captain Tsubasa
Another huge series in Japan which never mattered in America. But us spics love us some soccer, so again, huge success. It was called Super Champions here, by the way. Unfortunately I was one of the few social pariahs who was never into soccer so I was never into this, either. There was an urban legend spread during my childhood that said the series ends in a shocking twist: the protagonist, Oliver, had lost his legs in a car accident, and most of the series was dreamt by him. Not true, unfortunately. Like most kids' shows, Captain Tsubasa was often aired out of order or there was endless episode re-running, so hardly anyone had actually seen the end.

Candy Candy
A shoujo series about a young girl and her ponies and the boys she falls in love with and such. It was called Candy here for brevity. It became popular in a somewhat peculiar way; coincidentally, Candy Candy follows the over-dramatic, over-extended, plot-tangled formula of South American telenovelas (or soaps as you call them), so it was massively successful with young girls, grown women and quite a few boys for some reason. It is still re-run, and many of its fans continue to watch it religiously. Like with Captain Tsubasa, there was another urban legend as to how Candy Candy ends: supposedly Candy discovers that her "boyfriend", the one she was planning to marry, is actually a crossdressing woman and a nurse at the hospital where she works. Again, not true. Don't ask me why we had these stories as kids; I guess we were realizing that Japanese cartoons were weird and unusual and capitalized on that exotic quality.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
This is the odd one out. Back then we had a really strange channel called Locomotion which by the time of its demise mostly aired re-runs of obscure and mostly not mainstream animated series, including Peter Chung's stuff (Æon Flux! Phantom 2040!). It was like an edgier Nickelodeon, for edgy kids. But I was only nine, so Neon Genesis Evangelion blew my mind and flew right over my head when I first saw it; I wouldn't re-encounter it until at least five years later, but it's probably what made me the nerd I am now. Boobs? In a cartoon? Crazy! I must know more.

Locomotion, the channel, eventually was reborn as Animax's South American branch, which shows anime all day, every day. Unfortunately it also re-runs shows endlessly (mostly The Prince of Tennis, Hunter x Hunter and Shin Chan), and its biggest attractive was Hellsing of all things. Eventually it resorted to the lowest common denominator and included incredibly unfunny reality shows in its programming and clips of twenty-something-year olds swinging around strip poles in schoolgirl outfits in its commercials. And Steel Angel Kurumi. A sad, sad fate. Either it was taken off the air or my channel pack doesn't include it. I don't really care.

As an aside, sometime in this period, for some reason one of the most-watched national stations decided to air Evangelion during its kids' animation block. It lasted a respectable two or three episodes before it was ripped off the air faster than Shinji can masturbate to comatose girls.

Obviously, anime giants like Dragonball Z, Pokémon, Sailor Moon and (to a lesser degree) Digimon also dominated kids' programming during this time, but there's probably nothing I can say about those that you don't already know.

So there you go, Japanese animation in the nineties from a South American perspective. The more you know!

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Cowboy Bebop, a classic anime right there. I really love the theme and plot of it.
Outlaw Star, I wasn't paying attention to this anime. The first time I've watched this was middle to the end. I got to say, that anime is pretty good. It reminds me of Cowboy Bebop. Dragon Ball, I love watching. I started to hate DBZ because all of these mindless power-ups and crap. Trigun is pretty good as well. But too bad I haven't finished watching it.

Mimori Kiryu

G Gundam is the best old school anime there is. :[ It gave a whole new definition to manly.

denizenofevil

I loved Yu Yu Hakusho... Dragonball was interesting but DBZ lost my interest and I grew up on Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon. I used to read the Ranma 1/2 mangas.

rocketnyasu

My favorite anime of the 90s is The Slayers (NEXT and TRY included). Trigun is a pretty close second.

Of course I remember watching anime such as Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Tenchi and at that time, I realized they were made in Japan. But I was surprised to realize how important Japanese animation was when I was a preschooler. Shows such as The Littl' Bits and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics were shows I watched every day on Nick Jr. I think people overlook these sorts of shows from their childhood.

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
Well, when I was first exposed to anime (preschool to 1st grade years, between 1997 and 1999) I watched whatever anime (back then, I didn't even know it was anime, of course), which meant anything that aired on Toonami...
I remember only a few shows that I did watch:

Sailor Moon
DB/Z
G Gundam and Wing

That's really all I can remember.

I saw Yu Yu Hakusho and Cyborg 009 when it aired on Toonami as well, and I loved both of them.

Then due to an unfortunate grounding from CN, I was CN-less for about 2-3 years (I don't really remember the actual timeline...) so by the time I started watching Toonami, all the old school stuff was pushed aside for more newer stuff.

I watched Cowboy Bebop on AS when it aired, and when I found the Funimation Channel on Colors TV, I watched the stuff on that as well (even though, once a show got to a certain point, say 20 episodes, they started that show and other shows over to the 1st episode :mad: )

So now, I really want to watch some older stuff. The first on my list to watch is the orignal Gundam, so I can get that out of the way.

I'll probably take ideas from this thread as well...

Ahmed48

Tactician
Great Teacher Onizuka, Dragon Ball (Z/GT) and Rurouni Kenshin are awesome

Jadeabella

Eevee Trainer
Seems alot of people have mentioned Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball (Z/GT) which we're what most of us grew up on and I still love them to death today.

Then there were the others I watched growing up...

RoboTech
Techno Man
Speed Racer >.>
Samurai Pizza Cats
Ghost In The Shell
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Burn Up W
Ninja Scroll
Space Adventure Cobra

That's all I can think of at this point in time, but I watched mostly Anime growing up rather than some of the other cartoons that were on. I spose I just like the animation style better...

Maetch

"Sailor Moon" was probably the first anime that caught my interest. Back then, I had no concept of DiC dubbing, so I didn't know about the original version.

"Samirai Pizza Cats" was one of my favorites in the day. I used to get up at 6:00 AM for it. It had that self-parodying humor that made me think of "Earthworm Jim" or "Freakazoid!"

These days, I'm not too big on anime, but I'll occasionally break out my DVD of "Moldiver" for some simple, silly fun.