• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Old Spriting Contests?

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Well I have been thinking about it lately:
These will be a few threads

- for the start: here we can discuss the typing (and concept?) of the new fakemon. After the discussion, the moderate will choose the best (and popular) idea.
- for the design itself: I don't know if they should the design a evolutionline or an individual pokemon yet. Here they will be able to send their deisgns and discuss other designs. In the end I'll make a poll to choose the winning design
- for the sprite: Kind of the same system as the design. I think it is best if we don't seperate front and back sprite (the style of the sprite might be a little diffrent then)
- for the stats,..: choosing the stats,ability and what it's role in the metagame is.
- for the finishing touch: Here, the details will be discussed. Like the weight,footprint, dex entry,... .

I was thinking that we could do more at one time. For example one is in the 'design-fase' while the other is in the 'stats-fase'

So this is all I have. But I was thinking about making it more fake-game oriented: For example: we start with the starters, then we discuss how the next route should look like, and what kind of pokemon there will be.(for exmaple desertish animals). And maybe if we make a town with a gym, there also a poll for designing the gymleader and stuff.

It's a small start but maybe if alot of peopel are into it, we could start making it :)

Lucarimew2

Heys guys if you need a spriter to help you out i will but im in the middle of GCSE exams at the moment. I make tutorials on Youtube so im willing to give tutorials out in most areas but not scratching (im still working on ma techniques for scratching). If you are wnting my help please PM me so i get an email. Visit my Youtube page if you would like to see my sprites and tutorials.

I believe many people have gone out of spriting because the have lost faith in their skills or they lost their ideas. I don't have many ideas now and i don't get much critism and constructive comments to help me out and keep me going. I'll help you out with competitions and if need be create a Youtube Community of spriters. Lucarimew 2

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I have been thinking about my previous contest and I think I reached a little too high. The fakemon require a scratch sprite and beginning spriters are probably willing to try. but they are not able to make the sprites, so not alot of beginning spriters will be encouraged to proceed with it. This contest also is alot of work so I searched for an idea that was a little bit more simple.
So here is the next idea: pokemon redesigning.
Each month we will take a pokemon (and it's evolution line) and redesign it. This could be a simple recolor or edit(so that beginning spriters can participate) . But it can also be a scratch sprite with a complete new design. There will be 3 threads:
spriting thread: This on will be open for 2 weeks, followed by a poll to decide the winner. Here the can post and discuss sprites of each other. At the end the should make a post where they clearly state that the sprite they posted is their final version, so I can put it in the polls
Design thread: This will be open at the same time as the spriting thread. Here artist can post their new design. They can choose if other artist can use the design or not. This one will not have a poll. So only the sprites of the designs are able to win, not the designs itself.
Dex entry thread: to attract new spriters, I was thinking about making a thread in the game-sector of the forum to make a new dex entry. Since the design is diffrent, the dex entry should change too.

The rules of the new design:
They should match the typing and name. The also somewhat should match the ability, stats and moveset.

I don't know yet if we should make the submit all pokemon of the evolution line of a single pokemon. The downside of the single pokemon is that it may result in a inconsistent evolution line. But if the whole evolution line should be sumbitted they all should submit around 6 sprites (3 front sprites, 3 back sprites).
So let me know what you guys think, and hopefully I can make this a game soon

ps: suggestion for a catchy name of this game are welcome

-Raiga-

I don't know, there hasn't been a real successful contest on serebii that was specific. I think thats why the WSC lasted so long, it had prestige in winning despite being spread across so many genres.

If I may throw in my two cents, I'd suggest that instead of trying to recreate the past, we do something new. My idea is a cross-site competition between big pokemon sites like bulbapedia, here, pokemon community, etc. that all culminates at deviantart for voting(as it has by far the biggest traffic flow).

I guess it would be a club on devianart, where every site would have a representative(essentially a(n) I_D or zadros) that would post all its sites entries. The contest itself would basically be wsc style with a new theme every week.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
I don't know, there hasn't been a real successful contest on serebii that was specific. I think thats why the WSC lasted so long, it had prestige in winning despite being spread across so many genres.

If I may throw in my two cents, I'd suggest that instead of trying to recreate the past, we do something new. My idea is a cross-site competition between big pokemon sites like bulbapedia, here, pokemon community, etc. that all culminates at deviantart for voting(as it has by far the biggest traffic flow).

I guess it would be a club on devianart, where every site would have a representative(essentially a(n) I_D or zadros) that would post all its sites entries. The contest itself would basically be wsc style with a new theme every week.

I think this is a better idea for now, maybe we later on are going to try to make a fakedex.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I also like your idea Riaga, but I'm in no power of doing such thing.
I'm also not aiming for an overpopulation of spriters on serebii, but I hope to inspire more people to visit the fan sprite section and comment/make sprites.

I'll probably make it after my exams or so.. I'll see when I find soem time