• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just a quick thought of mine. In Gen III the ! and ? unown were introduced.
I saw this picture where there were some greek alphabet Unown (it's from the anime) (can't post the link apperently :? )

How would you feel if they would expand the 'Unown-dex' with an Alpha and Omega Unown? Or even more greek characters or an asterisk or numbers?

Me, personally, I would like just a few extra not too much. Always a fun challenge finding all Unown. I do not think they will add them, but it would be fun though if GF did.
;201-d;;201-p;

I don't think they'll go into other Alphabets because there'd be too many forms to keep track of, that's why they chose our alphabet over one of theirs. At any rate, I think if we're ever getting new forms of Unown, it would probably be more punctuation. At the very least they should have a . Unown to round things out with the most basic punctuation in the English language.

Here's a list of all the Legendaries and the games wherein they can be caught.
Use it as reference:

[spoil]Legendary Birds: RBGY, FRLG, Platinum, HGSS, XY
Mewtwo: RBGY, FRLG, HGSS, XY
Mew: Emerald (Old Sea Chart)

Legendary Beasts: GSC, FRLG, HGSS
Tower Duo: GSC, Emerald (Mystic Ticket), FRLG, HGSS, B2W2 (Dream Radar)
Celebi: Crystal (GS Ball)

Regi Trio: RSE, Platinum, B2W2
Eon Duo: RSE, HGSS, B2W2
Weather Trio: RSE, HGSS
Jirachi: RS (Colosseum)
Deoxys: Emerald (Aurora Ticket), FRLG

Lake Trio: DPPt, B2W2
Creation Trio: DPPt, HGSS (Event Arceus), B2W2 (Dream Radar)
Cresselia: DPPt, B2W2
Darkrai: DPPt
Sea Guardians: DPPt (Ranger), HGSS (Ranger)
Heatran: DPPt, B2W2
Regigigas: DPPt (Requires Regi Trio from RSE), B2W2
Shaymin: DPPt (Oak's Letter)
Arceus: DPPt (Azure Flute)

Victini: BW (Liberty Pass)
Sword Trio: BW, B2W2
Keldeo: Event only
Nature Trio: BW, B2W2 (Dream Radar)
Tao Trio: BW, B2W2
Meloetta: Event only
Genesect: Event only

Mortality Trio: XY
Diancie: TBD
Volcanion: TBD
Hoopa: TBD
[/spoil]

I don't think frequency and past appearances in the games really matter that much, it's more a matter of making the legendaries as accessible as possible. We already have the 1st and 6th gen legendaries in XY, so we probably won't see any of those. But we have 2 sets of games (these, and probably Z/XY2) to get all of the 2nd, 4th, and 5th gen legendaries. Personally, I think this is doable, but if they need to, they can lighten up on the 5th gen legendaries and just have you transfer them over (although I'd at least make an exception for the Kami Trio because they were somewhat difficult to get in both sets of 5th gen games). So then it's a matter of how to divide them up. I'm thinking, based on environments, maybe something like this:

ORAS:
Lugia/Ho-oh
Regigigas
Heatran
Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus

Z/XY2:
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
Cresselia
Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem

Either game:
Raikou/Entei/Suicune
Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion

As far as where they could appear in the games, I'm thinking:

-Raikou/Entei/Suicune could be runners that appear based on your starter.
-Lugia/Ho-oh could appear on Navel Rock (which would no longer be an event area, just a post game area).
-Regigigas in Sealed Chamber when you bring the other three Regis
-Heatran would be obtained by finding the Magma Stone in a post game area and taking it to Mt. Chimney.
-Muskedeers would be found on random routes much like they were in BW2, with Cobalion appearing on Rt. 114, Terrakion appearing on Rt. 116, and Virizion appearing on Rt. 119.
-Can't think of anything for the Kami trio besides runners.

I think that the argument that they wouldn't make significant changes to the Hoenn dex because FRLG didn't change the dex and HGSS only added a few essential pokemon to the dex is flawed.

Sinnoh had 210 pokemon in its dex by the time HGSS came out, and thus adding more than 5 extra pokemon to the Johto dex would have unbalanced the two too much. Remember, non-regional pokemon could be found post-E3 in both cases. Now, the Hoenn dex from Gen 3 had 202 pokemon in it... but the Kalos dex has 454 pokemon in it. Do we really expect such a huge difference in regional scale?

I think a more likely thing is that they noticeably expand the Hoenn dex, not just with the related evolutions, but also with some extra families to round out the Hoenn dex.

First, I expect quite a few more water type pokemon. Despite being so water-heavy, the Hoenn dex has (not counting starters) 43 water type pokemon. Now, about half the map is the major ocean area (west of Slateport/Lilycove)... and throughout the ocean area, the following could be found: Tentacool, Wingull, Pelipper, Magikarp, Wailmer, Staryu, Sharpedo, Clamperl, Relicanth, Chinchou, Luvdisc, Corsola, Wailord, Gyarados, and Horsea. That's 15 pokemon, for 11 routes, three to six towns/cities (depending on whether you classify Slateport, Lilycove, and Evergrande as part of this consideration), and multiple underwater areas. In all of the underwater areas, just three pokemon appeared - Relicanth, Clamperl, and Chinchou.

I hope and expect to see more pokemon added to the dex. At the very least, I'd expect Skrelp, Clauncher, Alomomola, Mantine, and Lapras added from amongst the Water types, to address the water issue. Skrelp and Clauncher would fit in underwater quite well, while Alomomola would be great on Route 128, Lapras on Route 125, and Mantine on Route 126. I'd also expect more Fire types (despite Ruby being fire-focused, just four non-starter Fire families are in the Hoenn dex) - probably Houndour, Larvesta, and Heatmor. Adding Heatmor would mean adding Durant, of course.

With just these additions, we're already up to 225 pokemon. I'd say 250 is the natural expected value. For the remaining 25, I'd expect Regigigas, Sunkern, Hippopotas, Shellos, Deerling, Bouffalant, Tynamo, Cherubi, Stantler, Unown, Porygon, Meowth, Ditto, Smeargle, and Kangaskhan. A few are fairly obvious in terms of reasoning - Regigigas goes with the Regis, Sunkern and Cherubi suit the weather theme, Meowth, Ditto and Smeargle were made available in Emerald and would fit nicely (plus Ditto and Smeargle are good for breeding purposes), Hippopotas would suit the desert area.

For the others, I wanted pokemon that either aren't available in X/Y or which lacked something in X/Y. Shellos and Deerling are only available via Friend Safari and only in one form each (where both come in multiple forms). Bouffalant and Stantler aren't available in X/Y, and would fit into the Safari Zone quite nicely. Tynamo isn't available in X/Y and would fit into New Mauville perfectly. Porygon was purely chosen for lack of X/Y availability (and would suit an in-game trade situation). Unown aren't available in X/Y and I consider that an oversight in the original games. Kangaskhan I added because I needed one more, and figured something with a mega would be reasonable.

Sheer number isn't really the issue, it's about balance and variety. Look at some of the past regional dex expansions. The Sinnoh Dex was expanded because some types were lacking in DP, to the point where there were only two Fire types (one of which was a starter!). The Unova Dex was expanded because people were complaining about being forced to use only new Pokemon in BW1. It's all about improving your options. Now looking at Hoenn's Dex, there's too main problems with the distribution. The first is that, like Sinnoh's, there's a lack of variety in types. There's only 2 Ice types (Walrein and Glalie), 4 Ghost types (Shedinja, Sableye, Banette, and Dusclops), 4 Dragon types (Altaria, Flygon, Kingdra, and Bagon), and 4 Fairy types (Gardevoir, Azumarill, Mawile, and Wigglytuff). Ideally, there should at least be 5-6 of each type, so all of these need more new families. Second, there's a lack of variety in the distribution. This mainly applies to the Water routes which are primarily just Tentacool and Wingull, but also other areas to a lesser degree. Some areas such as Scorched Slab and Rt. 123 are fairly pointless areas, and could use some good exclusive Pokemon to entice people to visit them. Take a look at my Dex idea

[SPOIL]Rattata- Rt. 101, Rt. 102
Raticate- Rt. 120, Rt. 121
Gallade- Evolve Kirlia
Budew- Petalburg Woods
Roserade- Evolve Roselia
Cottonee- Rt. 123 (AS only)
Whimsicott- Evolve Cottonee
Petilil- Rt. 123 (OR only)
Lilligant- Evolve Petilil
Probopass- Evolve Nosepass in New Mauville
Chingling- Rusturf Tunnel, Meteor Falls
Vanillite- Gift from the Seashore House on Rt. 109 (by defeating all of the trainers)
Vanillish- maybe Shoal Cave?
Vanilluxe- Evolve Vanillish
Magnezone- Evolve Magneton in New Mauville
Growlithe- Rt. 112, Fiery Path, Jagged Pass (OR only, AS gets Vulpix instead)
Arcanine- Evolve Growlithe
Gible- Rt. 111
Gabite- Evolve Gible
Garchomp- Evolve Gabite
Tangela- Rt. 120, Rt. 121, Rt. 123
Tangrowth- Evolve Tangela
Larvesta- Breed Volcarona
Volcarona- Encounter in Scorched Slab
Rhyperior- Evolve Rhydon
Dusknoir- Evolve Dusclops
Litwick- Mt. Pyre
Lampent- Evolve Litwick
Chandelure- Evolve Lampent
Misdreavus- Mt. Pyre
Mismagius- Evolve Misdreavus
Frillish- Abandoned Ship, Rt. 122, Rt. 124-128, Rt. 132-134
Remoraid- Rt. 124-131
Octillery- Evolve Remoraid
Mantyke- Rt. 124-131
Mantine- Evolve Mantyke
Lapras- Rt. 125, Shoal Cave (High Tide)
Seel- Shoal Cave
Dewgong- Shoal Cave
Cubchoo- Breed Beartic
Beartic- Shoal Cave
Froslass- Evolve Snorunt
Finneon- Underwater
Lumineon- Evolve Finneon
Skrelp- Underwater
Dragalge- Evolve Skrelp
Tynamo- Breed Eelektrik
Eelektrik- Seafloor Cavern
Eelektross- Evolve Eelektrik
Regigigas- Encounter in Sealed Chamber after catching the other Regis[/SPOIL]

Looking at this again, I don't think this solves all of the distribution problems (I should've put something in New Mauville to avoid making it a Voltorb/Magnemite fest, for example), but for the most part, this solves a lot of the problems with the distribution. There's plenty of options for each type, with each type having at least 5 families (Fairy has 5, and Fighting has 6, everything else has at least 7). Making each and every single water route would be a fools errand admittedly, but I did make sure there was some kind of variety (Rt. 124, 126-128 still have the same distribution, but now there's Remoraid and Mantyke to add more variety, Rt. 125 has Lapras, and Rt. 129-131 and Rt. 132-134 at least have unique distributions, if not anything new to those routes). I also added Rattata to give you more variety to Rt. 101 and Eelektrik to Seafloor Cavern.

I agree with the logic in including Pokemon that were unavailable or rare in XY, but I don't think that supersedes the problem of lack of variety, and that should be the main criterion for whether or not a Pokemon gets added. Type and distribution variety is more important.

I might give mine another look, though, I think I may need to add some more Pokemon.

No, we can't get new Pokemon mid-generation because it's a fan term. Each new generation starts when new Pokemon are introduced. That is what we define as a generation. If we were to get any new Pokemon then they would be classified as Generation 7 Pokemon.

New Pokemon is not the only thing that defines a generation, and with the possibility of new Pokemon added through patches, it may not be a defining aspect of a generation. New generations are primarily defined, IMO, by a lack of compatibility with previous games and the gameplay and mechanic changes that follow.

It's entirely possible (although probably not likely), that we could get a new game mid gen that adds completely new, never before seen Pokemon to the game, while still being compatible with older games in that generation (via a downloadable patch). If this were to happen, I think most people would agree that this would not be considered a new generation. The games would still look, feel, and play like older games in that generation, just with more Pokemon.

GF should release an encyclopedia detailing the timeline of the Pokemon series ala Zelda sometime in the future lol

I'm going to have to say that this would be unlikely, especially given how little there is to tell aside from the details already presented in the games themselves. It can apparently be summed up in a tweet or a brief timeline. The chronology of the Zelda series is much more complex and hard to understand.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I'm going to have to say that this would be unlikely, especially given how little there is to tell aside from the details already presented in the games themselves. It can apparently be summed up in a tweet or a brief timeline. The chronology of the Zelda series is much more complex and hard to understand.

I have to agree with this. I can write a few paragraphs about the timeline of the Pokémon games. Maybe a few pages' worth at most. I certainly couldn't write a whole book, at least not without getting into the extremely nitty-gritty detail that would undoubtedly be better experienced by actually, you know, playing the games. :p

BM14murph

Master Collector
Thanks to everyone who cleared that timeline issue up for me great help :D

I'm really interested in seeing where they're going to place OR/AS on said timeline it's one of those non obvious things about the game I'm looking forward to.
Although not in the actual game I really want to see updated Sugimori artwork for the Gen 3 pokes like he's done for the past remakes. The main reason being his gen 3 artwork being the first of his new style nd still new looks outdated compared to even FRLG.

R_N

I'm really interested in seeing where they're going to place OR/AS on said timeline it's one of those non obvious things about the game I'm looking forward to.
Although not in the actual game I really want to see updated Sugimori artwork for the Gen 3 pokes like he's done for the past remakes. The main reason being his gen 3 artwork being the first of his new style nd still new looks outdated compared to even FRLG.

I'm guessing the legends and the starters will get new art, but even if some of them are a little rough, the rest aren't as outdated as, say...
20090718045033%21238Smoochum.png
20090717231147%21164Noctowl.png

BM14murph

Master Collector
I'm guessing the legends and the starters will get new art, but even if some of them are a little rough, the rest aren't as outdated as, say...
20090718045033%21238Smoochum.png
20090717231147%21164Noctowl.png

Oh god no you're right there but we don't have the problem with those anymore as we have modern artwork for all pokemon. I'd just like more modern for the rough Gen 3 ones.

It'd be the release of the strategy guide that would have them in it but I'm sure we'll see some in corocoro and on website updates over the next coming months

R_N

Oh god no you're right there but we don't have the problem with those anymore as we have modern artwork for all pokemon. I'd just like more modern for the rough Gen 3 ones.

It'd be the release of the strategy guide that would have them in it but I'm sure we'll see some in corocoro and on website updates over the next coming months

corocoro actually devoted like 2 pages every month to showing all the updated artwork for hgss

Firebrand

Indomitable
So it'd make sense if looker appeared in these games. He always said he was from another region.

I believe it was established his home region is Kalos? He lost his verbal quirks in XY. Which is not to say he couldn't appear, he works for Interpol, which means he's an international agent and could show up wherever.

sheld999

If the legendary beast trio is in ORAS:

Entei: Mt. Chimney, in a new room.
Suicune: Shoal Cave, in the frozen snorunt room.
Raikou: New Mauville, secret passage.

Lugia and Ho-Oh:

- Those event islands from back in the day...

If Regigigas is in ORAS:

New diving location with lots of new braille.

If Dialga, Palkia and Giratina is in ORAS: (Small chance and if they are, probably Wi-Fi event)

- Dialga: Meteor Falls dungeon or Victory road. (OR only)
- Palkia: Meteor Falls dungeon or Victory road. (AS only)
- Giratina: tough one...probably only event.

If Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem are in it: (Probably not, If yes only event again)

- Zekrom: Mt. Pyre event (OR only)
- Reshiram: Mt. Pyre event (AS only)
- Kyurem: Altering Cave event?

If the pixies are in it...

- Everything will be an event except maybe for Manaphy...it belongs in the Hoenn seas...maybe abandoned ship?
- Mew, faraway Island

i think some of them will be post game legends you can get in wild like they did with HG SS with the hoenn legends kgR so they might do that with the DPP legends

R_N

I believe it was established his home region is Kalos? He lost his verbal quirks in XY. Which is not to say he couldn't appear, he works for Interpol, which means he's an international agent and could show up wherever.

it wasn't, and he still had some of his verbal quirks. It didn't seem as blunt, but it was there; they probably toned it down since the plot line was actually, like, important.
He's in Kalos for Xerosic, but never actually lived there so far as we know.

Firebrand

Indomitable
it wasn't, and he still had some of his verbal quirks. It didn't seem as blunt, but it was there; they probably toned it down since the plot line was actually, like, important.
He's in Kalos for Xerosic, but never actually lived there so far as we know.

Huh. I didn't really pick up on them, except for a strange syntax that seemed in keeping with his characterization. Still, I get the sense that his home region is one we haven't seen yet. The regions in Gens I-IV are supposed to be fairly close together, while Unova and Kalos were both far away, but also far from each other. The sense I got was that the first four regions all speak "Japanese", Unova spoke "English" and Kalos spoke "French". Looker's verbal tics were most toned down in Kalos, the France analogue, so his home region is probably another one based off a European area. So maybe Poke-Italy or Germany?

Anyway, this is becoming fairly tangential. I guess the point I'm getting at is even if Looker shows up in ORAS, I doubt it will be his home region.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
If the customizable function comes back, what are you hoping to get from it? Do you want more clothes or hair options? Any ideas or expectations you have for what variety you can get?

I personally hope that we get more options for hats since May and Brendan don't exactly wears traditional hats. Maybe you can get the option to wear hair clips or accessories as a girl instead of having to always wear a hat?

You think we'll get seasons back for ORAS?

Akashin

If the customizable function comes back, what are you hoping to get from it? Do you want more clothes or hair options? Any ideas or expectations you have for what variety you can get?

I personally hope that we get more options for hats since May and Brendan don't exactly wears traditional hats. Maybe you can get the option to wear hair clips or accessories as a girl instead of having to always wear a hat?

You think we'll get seasons back for ORAS?

I don't know about more options, because I never felt particularly restricted by the variety of clothing options in X&Y, but I would like different options; regurgitating what we already have in X&Y would feel stale and annoying. Aside from that, my only other request would be the option to forego hats entirely.

As for seasons, I have my doubts. It wasn't in X&Y, and I don't really see them bothering to bring it back in the remakes.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

Non-obvious? It IS very obvious.

RSE takes place at the same time as RBGYFRLG.
ORAS is a remake of RSE.
ORAS will take place at the same time as RBGYFRLG.

I don't know about more options, because I never felt particularly restricted by the variety of clothing options in X&Y, but I would like different options; regurgitating what we already have in X&Y would feel stale and annoying. Aside from that, my only other request would be the option to forego hats entirely.

As for seasons, I have my doubts. It wasn't in X&Y, and I don't really see them bothering to bring it back in the remakes.

I don't really care much for seasons. Just give us a method for changing Deerling/Sawsbuck's forms. And the ability to catch both East and West forms of Shellos/Gastrodon.

On a different note, there should be a Unown ruins somewhere post-game. The last game they were obtainable was Gen 4.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Non-obvious? It IS very obvious.

RSE takes place at the same time as RBGYFRLG.
ORAS is a remake of RSE.
ORAS will take place at the same time as RBGYFRLG.

This is the part that I don't find so obvious, there's a couple of vague connections with Kanto, but to my memory there was nothing that explicitly placed RSE somewhere in the timeline.

On a different note, there should be a Unown ruins somewhere post-game. The last game they were obtainable was Gen 4.

I had meant to say this in my last post, but a million times yes. I was really annoyed that you couldn't catch Unown at all in 5th gen, and I would definitely not like to them to repeat that pattern with 6th gen. It's annoying enough having to transfer 28 Forms of Unown across 1 generation, I would not like to transfer them 2 generations.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I'm not really a fan of Unown nor have I bothered collecting all the different kinds of Unown available and I doubt that they're the fandom's priority in general, so I'm not really interested in that idea, personally. :x

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I'm not really a fan of Unown nor have I bothered collecting all the different kinds of Unown available and I doubt that they're the fandom's priority in general, so I'm not really interested in that idea, personally. :x

I have never been very interested in the Unown either, but I have a faint hope that when they do pop up again, they may expand on the connection between them and Arceus that was mentioned in HGSS. And me being the mythoholic that I am, I love the prospect of that. :p

R_N

It's not so much interest as it is the only way to get one, at all, is to catch one in gen 4, poketransfer it to gen 5, then pokebank it to gen 6

There are legendary pokemon offered and more easily available than unown is. It's crazy to keep them locked away like that. You can't even breed them!

Snivy18

I don't think that Unown should be obtainable in-game, rather that it should be from trade/migration.

I mean, it seriously stressed me out, looking for 26 of them in SS, and then 2 more. It's a goal that can keep you going, but I just think it's not really worth it. Plus, what can you do with them? All that they have is Hidden Power, which is pretty useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.