• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aerodactyl.

I'm really hoping they bring back the battle frontier for OR/AS. I know it was more of an Emerald thing, but I just can't see them excluding it from these unless they were also going to release something like a Delta Emerald. In any case, having new, post-game areas would be nice, maybe where we can ride some pokemon like in XY?

I'm very confident that its coming back! I just don't know if they'll rebuild it facility by facility or try and make a new one. In a perfect world they would rebuild it plus add an inversion battle facility as well as the battle hall from sinnoh(just cause that's the only thing in the sinnoh frontier worth rescuing). I also really liked the rental hall, that was in sinnoh but apparently it was in Hoenn too.

I did secretly love riding Pokemon. I know we have the bikes for tricks in ORAS, but I'm still hoping that one day riding Pokemon can be done anywhere any time, like riding a bike (as long as it's a rideable Pokemon). They could even do races as a side feature! X/Y started Pokemon being rideable, and though it was small I'm hoping they'll improve the feature in the future. If not in ORAS, then someday.

Last edited:

SurrealistSmeargle

The cloud cover on the map isn't "massive", it's only hiding a handful of areas at best. If we were getting a significant post game section, we wouldn't just be seeing a handful of clouds on the map, the entire southeast section would be covered. That's about how much space a Battle Zone size place would take up on this map. That combined with how XY handled post game leads me to believe that this game's post game isn't going to be very expansive in terms of areas either (in terms of everything else though? We're probably going to have a lot of National Dex Pokemon, legendaries, and all that good stuff, just not the areas that we typically get). And I doubt they're going to be doing an off the map post game area, the only reason for them to do so is if it's very large, and Hoenn doesn't need something Sevii Island size. And they had plenty of unused islands in the Pacifidlog/Battle Frontier area to use for post game, and the two we can see aren't being used for anything (with the possible exception of a small patch of land south of Rt. 131).
The cloud in the bottom right corner is more than big enough to house an area of equivalent size to Sinnoh's Battle Zone. You can quite easily fit the Battle Frontier and at least 3 new routes underneath that cloud.
Also, where's this 'the two islands we can see aren't being used for anything' coming from? The detail in those areas is far too small for any of their apparent uses to be discerned.

I can understand your pessimism, but a remake and a generation-opening game are very different beasts. X&Y's minimal postgame was likely due to it being the first game of a generation, on new tech, and them wanting to focus very intently on the main story (regardless of whether you think they did a good job), and the new mechanical changes, over anything extensive to do afterwards. With ORAS, the majority of the plot an interactions are already written, and the game mechanics are roughly unchanged compared to X&Y, so they have a lot more freedom to expend time and effort on additions and post-game. I don't necessarily believe that every cloud on the map definitely will obscure some great and expansive space that gives hours of playtime after the main story, but I don't believe, as your posts suggest you do, that they each hide a barren wasteland which, even if it did contain anything of note, it likely won't be enough to fulfil the expected requirements.

That would be neat if they brought the riding Pokemon mechanic back. As long as:
1.) There's more selection of which 'mon you can ride other than Rhyhorn, Skiddo and Gogoat
2.) The speed at which the 'mon move is faster. Maybe not as fast Skiddo (those things speed was insane! Maybe that's just me...), but maybe at a speed between Rhyhorn and Skiddo.

I'll admit right now, I actually never took advantage of riding the Gogoats in Lumiose city, so I have no idea how fast they went.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I'll admit right now, I actually never took advantage of riding the Gogoats in Lumiose city, so I have no idea how fast they went.

About as fast as you're suggesting; between Skiddo and Rhyhorn.

Also, there was Mamoswine.

.Aerodactyl.

That would be neat if they brought the riding Pokemon mechanic back. As long as:
1.) There's more selection of which 'mon you can ride other than Rhyhorn, Skiddo and Gogoat
2.) The speed at which the 'mon move is faster. Maybe not as fast Skiddo (those things speed was insane! Maybe that's just me...), but maybe at a speed between Rhyhorn and Skiddo.

I actually loved the skiddo speed. But if rideable Pokemon became a thing, they should have like a walking/trotting speed and a top speed to switch between. I want to be able to leisurely stroll through the streets on my Pokemon without being crazy fast. I also don't mind some slow Pokemon as long as it matches what the Pokemon speeds should be.

About as fast as you're suggesting; between Skiddo and Rhyhorn.

Also, there was Mamoswine.

The one Pokemon I didn't utilize with that mechanic is the one that has the perfect speed.

That's right, I forgot about Mamoswine.

I actually loved the skiddo speed. But if rideable Pokemon became a thing, they should have like a walking/trotting speed and a top speed to switch between. I want to be able to leisurely stroll through the streets on my Pokemon without being crazy fast. I also don't mind some slow Pokemon as long as it matches what the Pokemon speeds should be.

Maybe you activate the Pokemon's top speed by either pressing or holding the B button down.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Having areas in OR/AS that you can access through riding would be a fun thing to include post-game. Maybe there will be another Looker game as well? I really did enjoy that in XY.

I know it would be cramming a lot into the game (post in particular), but the Looker missions, the cafes, and the battle frontier would all be nice to have.

Any news on if they're offering updated/new training regiments from XY into ORAS?

Having areas in OR/AS that you can access through riding would be a fun thing to include post-game. Maybe there will be another Looker game as well? I really did enjoy that in XY.

I know it would be cramming a lot into the game (post in particular), but the Looker missions, the cafes, and the battle frontier would all be nice to have.

Any news on if they're offering updated/new training regiments from XY into ORAS?

I really hope Looker doesn't return. Don't get me wrong, Looker is one of my favorite characters from the games. However I feel that his story is completed with XY. I don't want him to become like Cynthia and make cameos just because.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Would eb awesome if AZ made an appearance and described kyogre/groudons first fight

Cellfaction

Do you think the player customization will return to ORAS?
I want to buy some clothes and try to use them as my own Gym outfit.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
What did HGSS have in it that was brand new never before seen, aside from walking pokemon that a good portion of people seem to dislike anyway? Sure, they added a battle tower, but wait, we'd seen that before. Oh they added some new areas - wait they've done that before too and this will probably happen with ORAS as well. I've commented on your negativism before - it's taxing. The game isn't out yet. We have seen glimpses of play. It's hardly time to shun the entire game.

You remind me of some of the extremists who were saying there was absolutely 100% no way ORAS could have new Mega Evolutions because of various 'facts' brought up. And look how that turned out.

Edit: The Pokeathon, right - That was fun as a new feature, but then other new features like the musicals and pokestar weren't well received. I guess it depends on your idea of "cool" - some people did like the musicals and pokestar. Either way, claiming that ORAS depends on a new feature in order to be likeable is a bit much - it already has a lot of nice features for a game, so I don't see what it is so lacking in that only a brand new amazing feature could make up for.

What ORAS is lacking is surprise, even for a remake. There's nothing about this game so far that sets it apart from the originals or XY, it's just all of the same things we've seen before (and new Mega Evolutions, but we'll be getting them in future games anyway). That could change between now and November, but I doubt it because of a combination of past news reveals, remaining information left to be revealed, and XY.

And I don't think hoenn would use those tiny little islands scattered randomly around the map instead of making a sevii island sized thing. They are small, scattered, and without consistency. You say you want a big post game area, but that could only come on a side map, not in few remains of hoenn like your suggesting is the wiser thing to do. But, again, I don't know until the games come out. It could be nothing.

First of all, they're larger and more connected than the clouds on the map. But they could easily be resized and connected with surfing routes to form a decent size post game section.

For me, personally, features like contests have far longer lasting value then post game areas, because you explore them once and they're done. I'd enjoy them if they are there, but I won't be dissapointed if they are not.

Post game areas add more than just new areas though. They bring along with them more wild Pokemon, more trainers, more items, etc. So you're actually missing a significant amount of content by not having post game areas.

The cloud in the bottom right corner is more than big enough to house an area of equivalent size to Sinnoh's Battle Zone. You can quite easily fit the Battle Frontier and at least 3 new routes underneath that cloud.

Look again. As Aerodactyl pointed out, the cloud is as big as Dewford Island. One city. That's not anywhere near as big as the Battle Zone. At most, it could only be one full size route (and by full size, I mean something about Rt. 110 sized).

Also, where's this 'the two islands we can see aren't being used for anything' coming from? The detail in those areas is far too small for any of their apparent uses to be discerned.

We can see well enough to tell which areas are inhabited and which ones aren't. If those two islands were explorable, we'd see some kind of landmark on them. But as is, we see nothing but grass.

X&Y's minimal postgame was likely due to it being the first game of a generation, on new tech, and them wanting to focus very intently on the main story (regardless of whether you think they did a good job), and the new mechanical changes, over anything extensive to do afterwards. With ORAS, the majority of the plot an interactions are already written, and the game mechanics are roughly unchanged compared to X&Y, so they have a lot more freedom to expend time and effort on additions and post-game. I don't necessarily believe that every cloud on the map definitely will obscure some great and expansive space that gives hours of playtime after the main story, but I don't believe, as your posts suggest you do, that they each hide a barren wasteland which, even if it did contain anything of note, it likely won't be enough to fulfil the expected requirements.

That's not the bulk of the work that goes into the remakes, though. Even though they're using an existing region, they still have to rebuild it from scratch using the 3DS' engine. And the situation is even worse with the 3D graphics, so ORAS will probably still suffer from the same problems as XY. It's Z/XY2 that would be easy for them to make because they're taking a region they already created with the existing hardware and they can just make tweaks there.

I really hope Looker doesn't return. Don't get me wrong, Looker is one of my favorite characters from the games. However I feel that his story is completed with XY. I don't want him to become like Cynthia and make cameos just because.

This.
He's a neat character, but he dosen't need to appear in every game now.

Do you think the player customization will return to ORAS?
I want to buy some clothes and try to use them as my own Gym outfit.

Well, I never fully took advantage of it in X and Y, so I don't really care one way or the other, personally.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
What ORAS is lacking is surprise, even for a remake. There's nothing about this game so far that sets it apart from the originals or XY, it's just all of the same things we've seen before (and new Mega Evolutions, but we'll be getting them in future games anyway). That could change between now and November, but I doubt it because of a combination of past news reveals, remaining information left to be revealed, and XY.

First of all, they're larger and more connected than the clouds on the map. But they could easily be resized and connected with surfing routes to form a decent size post game section.

Post game areas add more than just new areas though. They bring along with them more wild Pokemon, more trainers, more items, etc. So you're actually missing a significant amount of content by not having post game areas.

Look again. As Aerodactyl pointed out, the cloud is as big as Dewford Island. One city. That's not anywhere near as big as the Battle Zone. At most, it could only be one full size route (and by full size, I mean something about Rt. 110 sized).

We can see well enough to tell which areas are inhabited and which ones aren't. If those two islands were explorable, we'd see some kind of landmark on them. But as is, we see nothing but grass.

That's not the bulk of the work that goes into the remakes, though. Even though they're using an existing region, they still have to rebuild it from scratch using the 3DS' engine. And the situation is even worse with the 3D graphics, so ORAS will probably still suffer from the same problems as XY. It's Z/XY2 that would be easy for them to make because they're taking a region they already created with the existing hardware and they can just make tweaks there.

The new megas brings more surprises then heart gold and fire did and even more then most third versions save for bw2 since those were the first sequels ( I mean did mega audiono not surprise you? It surprised me)

Crisco

R/S are the only games Ive never played so its gonna be all fresh for me. The only expectation I have for the remakes is a good post game. Everything Ive seen so far looks great! Cant wait until November..

cryuel

It's definitely too early to make a statement like this, because all we've really seen so far are a couple of new Mega Pokemon, which in and of themselves count as new additions. FRLG and HGSS didn't really bring that many new things to the table either, although one could argue that the change in graphics (and in this case dimension) distinguishes it significantly from its original title. As long as OrAs combines elements out of Emerald, much like HGSS did with Crystal (Battle Frontier for example), and if it improves on the things that previous entries have done well, including but not limited to things like:
  • a good Frontier,
  • Move Tutors (those were so missing in XY...),
  • a good interactive mini-game system (BW2 had the missions for example),
  • some feature that encourages Online play (like the DreamWorld from BW2 days; Pokemiles just aren't very motivating given the "prizes", tbh),
  • challenging trainers, maybe even with Mega evolutions here and there (let's be honest, trainers in XY were such a joke compared to all other Pokemon main titles)
  • great breeding mechanics and surroundings (past games have had very tedious things like having to call people to check on eggs, having to leave the route/city, etc.)
  • enigmatic Easter Egg kind of unlockables!! (like Mirage Island, special tickets that take you to an island with an exclusive Legendary or shiny Pokemon, etc. XY had none of that, well, that we know of at least)
  • Weather, Daytime, and Seasons in one game

..if OrAs can do all these things very well in one game, and a couple of other small things I'm currently not thinking of, then I would say we have a good title on our hands.

Last edited:

Amanojaku

Reversal Youkai
challenging trainers, maybe even with Mega evolutions here and there (let's be honest, trainers in XY were such a joke compared to all other Pokemon main titles)

That is, if the trainers aren't Gen V'd. I really hope Wallace/Juan won't have just 3 Pokémon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The new megas brings more surprises then heart gold and fire did and even more then most third versions save for bw2 since those were the first sequels ( I mean did mega audiono not surprise you? It surprised me)

Not that much really, I was about 50/50 on them adding new Mega Evolutions in this game. Plus, they don't really add that much to the game since you can only use one per battle, only the handful of them that change type really make much of a difference on your team, and you only encounter a handful of them.

It's definitely too early to make a statement like this, because all we've really seen so far are a couple of new Mega Pokemon, which in and of themselves count as new additions. FRLG and HGSS didn't really bring that many new things to the table either, although one could argue that the change in graphics (and in this case dimension) distinguishes it significantly from its original title.

FRLG was a bit samey, I'll give you that (its post game, on the other hand). HGSS? Not at all. Could you honestly say you saw following Pokemon, Berry Pots, Pokeathlon, and the Safari Zone coming? And they add more than just a handful of Megas can add.

As long as OrAs combines elements out of Emerald, much like HGSS did with Crystal (Battle Frontier for example), and if it improves on the things that previous entries have done well, including but not limited to things like:

• a good Frontier,
  • Move Tutors (those were so missing in XY...),
  • a good interactive mini-game system (BW2 had the missions for example),
  • some feature that encourages Online play (like the DreamWorld from BW2 days; Pokemiles just aren't very motivating given the "prizes", tbh),
  • challenging trainers, maybe even with Mega evolutions here and there (let's be honest, trainers in XY were such a joke compared to all other Pokemon main titles)
  • great breeding mechanics and surroundings (past games have had very tedious things like having to call people to check on eggs, having to leave the route/city, etc.)
  • enigmatic Easter Egg kind of unlockables!! (like Mirage Island, special tickets that take you to an island with an exclusive Legendary or shiny Pokemon, etc. XY had none of that, well, that we know of at least)
  • Weather, Daytime, and Seasons in one game

These things aren't surprised though, these are all either staple features of remakes or something you could easily guess. A surprise is something new and surprising that you couldn't see coming. Everything they've revealed about ORAS is either information that we already knew about from the originals or things that we could easily guess.

Oh, and you find having to call to check for eggs tedious, really? It's less tedious than having to Fly back to the Day Care Center and talk to the Day Care Man face to face.

baconrules

Ostrich master
I know it won't happen but I was thinking it would be really cool if they made the battles a little more interactive. Maybe they could have cool minigmes and if u do good enough u could get a small critical hit chance increase. By small I mean really small but not so small that it hardly occurs. Idk, I just thought it could be cool. Certainly would make it a little more fun (not that it isn't fun to begin with)

Status
Not open for further replies.