1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation VI Discussion' started by Kreis, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baconrules

baconrules Ostrich master

I know it won't happen but I was thinking it would be really cool if they made the battles a little more interactive. Maybe they could have cool minigmes and if u do good enough u could get a small critical hit chance increase. By small I mean really small but not so small that it hardly occurs. Idk, I just thought it could be cool. Certainly would make it a little more fun (not that it isn't fun to begin with)

2. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

There's actually a bit of a fallacy with the difficulty of X/Y standard trainers that comes about all because of the EXP Share. Most people don't realize it, but the Ace Trainers/Veterans/Black Belts are arguably the best normal trainers in the series so far. We've begun to see these more "elite" trainers stuff TM's and generally good moves on their Pokemon in more recent games, but X/Y took that a step further in Victory Road and actually taught some of their Pokemon transfer-exclusive tutors. A standard trainer with a Weavile knowing Ice Punch, Night Slash and Low Kick is honestly a nice step up. If the EXP Share wasn't as broken as it was, X/Y wouldn't be nearly as easy on the basis of movesets. It sounds like a cop-out reason, but when you get down to looking at things up close, trainers really haven't exactly become worse in recent games. I'm honestly okay if trainers end up the same way in OR/AS, I'd love to see more of these standard trainers using tutor moves.

3. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Also if you dont use the exp share you have an actual level curve that will eventually get a step ahead of you

so that helps

4. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

I didn't ask if you say megas being added coming ( which very well could have been left out, gamefreak could have said it would cause compatibility issues or something and the majority of the fandom would just go with it after some complaining) I said did mega audino not surprise you? Did you see mega slowbro coming? And to berry pots and pokemon following yes I could have seen them coming, yellow had done it before and the fandom was crying for its return It makes sense that they'd do it atleast once more ( and there is some evidence that in black/white or black 2/white 2 I forget which where they were going to add it but stopped at number 500 Tyranitar tube did this on youtube, not to mention the meinfho walking behind you in black 2) If berry fields weren't included I would have expected them to do something with berrys, even if it was fr/lg's find them randomly on the ground. Safari zone? well I could have predicted it if I was around during their pre relase and the subject came up I would have said they could simply reopen fucias, the safari zone isn't a big deal. The only thing it adds is tyranitars line before post game. The pokeathlon That was new but its not ground breaking or shocking nor does it change the experience its a game within a game, it does not add to the adventure rpg that is pokemon. it was just a fun distraction the same can be said of contests musiscals secret bases even the battle frontier. Megas on the other hand add more stargty to the game, and are peusdo new pokemon the closet we'll ever get to new pokemon mid generation, that I'll be using more then contests so yes they add so much more even if its one per battle it adds much to the meta. mega slamance will wreck everything.

Plus ten years from now I doubt The pokeathlon will ever be back but in 10 years from now mega sceptile mega slamance etc. will still exist and still be used in the meta (well maybe not sceptile xD) Leaving their mark on future games. The berry pots hg/ss new safri zone? I forget about them until you mentioned them, infact I didn't even notice the lack of a safri zone in the originals thats how little I cared about it, same with berries.

to me pokemon has always been traveling with your pokemon and having fun a fun distraction to do is nice and all but it doesn't enhance my experience by much, megas will enhance battles That I'll be enjoying against my friends and strangers.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Yes I did. Once they confirmed new Mega Evolutions, that was it.

But unlike Contests, Secret Bases, etc., it's actually new and therefore more interesting than a returning feature.

That's not really much of a change though if you're just giving your Pokemon a power boost. It would've been much more effective if they had expanded the regional dex so you have actual new Pokemon to work with instead of just the same old ones that I could catch in RSE.

It'd certainly be nicer if they did something new that directly tied into the core gameplay, but they usually only do so on a new handheld where the upgraded hardware allows them to do new things that were't physically possible in older games. Which is why mid gen games typically make improvements in terms of features and extras.

6. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

(some responses in bold response to the last one is my comment)
    Like megas, it ties into core gameplay one way or another, plus its the closest we'll get to new pokemon mid generation, it is an improvement in terms of features and even if it seems insignificant to you it counts, one penny may not seem like much but its still currency that can make a difference

7. Bolt the Cat

I don't care if it only lasts this game, it makes the game a unique experience worth buying. If anything, more permanent changes are less of a reason to buy a particular game because I can just buy the next one and not miss out.

8. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

Then You might aswell not buy generation 7, 8 or 9 and just wait until gamefreak releases their last game (dunno why I guess for the following hypotheticals: director dies the pokemon literally become crap, the second coming of the death of pokemania), or just skip a bunch of generations so you have 400 new pokemon instead of 100 something, because why buy generation 7 when their pokemon will be in generation 8 plus some, why buy the first pair to come out when a third version is just going to come out 2 years later at most. You could skip generation 7 and not miss out because generation 8 will have their pokemon plus new ones.

9. Bolt the Cat

Why buy the next game? Because of a combination of new region/areas to explore, new Pokemon to catch, significant gameplay improvements, or new side features. Those things are compelling gameplay changes that enhance the experience. Every new game has some combination of these things, ORAS hasn't shown off any yet.

10. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

The regions are small thing a place for us to explore and is indeed a good selling point, but are not good enough alone to sell a pokemon game. my main arguement here was likening megas to new pokemon, like megas new pokemon will be in the next game why buy the new pokemon game ( assuming the new pokemon has nothing new but pokemon and a region) When those pokemon will be in the next game.

Also if you want to talk about the regions no region is as explorable as hoenn, Theres something unque around every corner, cities on the water, cites inside inactive volcanos, cities in trees. and now its taken off teh gba and put onto the 3ds making the region feel much more alive then before, if this was on the ds This wouldn't have been a selling point but the regions big update should be a selling point. It was for hg/ss Their over-world was such an improvement from g/s that it felt new, which is amplified X10 for or/as since the transition from gb to ds isn't as major as gba to 3ds. SO if we want to chalk region design into the matter the updated hoenn should somewhat count as new like 50% because of graphics alone.

11. LittleRalts

LittleRalts The Ultimate Ralts

Since the dawn of Pokémon you've needed one or more of each gen game to complete the national pokedex. Either that or (when wifi came about in games) GTS. It is so much easier to complete the dexes with games from each Gen. That's just about undeniable. Not only does POkedex completion become easier, but like he said...gameplay improves and changes. Every time.

12. Bolt the Cat

Considering that the gameplay involves adventuring through said region, I'd say region design is a pretty big selling point.

Megas are nowhere near as great as new Pokemon. Like I said, it's just a power boost. New Pokemon are completely different and add much more variety to the game than Megas do.

Except I've already explored Hoenn before in the originals, so there's nothing left to surprise me unless they make changes. It wouldn't be as fun if you knew about every nook and cranny in the region before you even play it, would it?

Graphics don't always lead to a change in design. In fact, the screenshots and the map seem to indicate that the region is almost a complete tile by tile reconstruction of the original design. I'm not seeing much in the way of design updates.

Yeah, since Wi-Fi is a thing there's no need to buy a game just because you want a particular Pokemon, you can easily trade for it.

13. malcolm_n

malcolm_n Pokemon Collector

Also, having games from each gen means getting access to some things that may be harder to get now due to lack of something (like TM design changes - Tutors, etc). With ORAS coming out, I may be able to finally put away my Gameboy advance for R/S/E (I'll still totally play them) and focus on gen IV and up.

14. lavanda

lavanda Really feeling it

I kinda agree with this. In HGSS, old areas were full of little new stuff, like Violet getting two bridges connecting a little island, Route 32 having the track of Magnet Train, and the silo in MooMoo Farm; not to mention major changes like Route 45. Of course, some of these would be very hard to work on and would potentially look messy in the GB, and we have Mauville (though I'm not as hyped about that one city as most people here). In my opinion there is some exaggeration about ORAS's looks up to now, but of course I'll still play it and enjoy like there's no tomorrow.

Also, Rock Climb.

15. SurrealistSmeargle

SurrealistSmeargle Well-Known Member

Umm, no. It's at least twice the size of Dewford Island as it appears on the map. Plenty of room for the frontier, a town and a couple of routes. And full-size route doesn't require linear length. You can make a route that's long in a small space, provided you use different levels of ground.

Both to me look far more like forested islands, than simply grassy ones, which rather expands their potential due to the trees obscuring landmarks. One also looks like it contains a cave with at least 2 entrances, which again, can hold a pretty sizable post-game dungeon.

I'm not saying it wasn't. But they still have more freedom than crafting X&Y, since they don't have to write a plot from scratch, program all the changes to the battle system, new general-use features like SuperTraining, etc. It's a substantial piece of work, for sure, but less than X&Y was, and hence gives them some more freedom to focus on add-ons.

16. Bolt the Cat

It's only twice the size including the Battle Frontier. Not including the Battle Frontier it's the same size.

Look again. It's no more "forested" than the empty space on the mainland, it's just empty grass.

That brown spot is the only part of that island that looks like it could be explorable, and that's still not much.

That doesn't amount to much, though.

17. .Aerodactyl.

.Aerodactyl. Well-Known Member

Bolt, can you stop assuming what I want in a game, please? "New Pokemon are better than Megas" well, many people can argue that megas are new Pokemon. And honestly, I consider megas new Pokemon. obviously you don't, and that's fine. But, TO ME PERSONALLY and many others, if you just dropped the mega title on half these Pokemon, gave it a different name like "Slowlord", it would be a regular evolution. And new evolutions almost everyone considers new Pokemon. Megas boost stats, change design even add types. The only difference is they aren't permanent, you can use only one a battle and they can't hold items. Which, in my opinion, since many are so strong keep the game balanced. I get it, to you, they aren't new. But to me, they are!!! They hit every criteria I think necessary for a new pokemon.

I don't care about a post game area because I mean I don't care about a post game area. I much prefer a feature like the battle frontier over a brand new island to explore with no extra features. Because once you go through once, its no longer new. Once you battle everyone, they're finished. No more battling them. At the battle frontier though, I can ALWAYS get a battle, whenever I want and however I want. Same with secret bases with their new QR codes and people making their own gyms. Contests I can always go in and win ribbons, and play with my friends online. These, to me personally, are my favourite aspects of a pokemon game. I love it! It's why I play! And to you, they aren't worth it, aren't fun enough, and aren't enough.

The items you can find in post game areas aren't "new content" to the series. They are tm's, stones, hold items like leftovers, potions, etc. If they didn't have a post game area, they would just distribute all the items over Hoenn. They won't remove an item like leftovers from the game just because they don't have a post elite four area to put it. X/Y had almost no post game area and they still have all the items, plus new. They aren't lacking content items wise. Yes, you have less areas to explore and less dialogue from NPC's. You miss out on a couple new one-time battles with NPC's. That's obviously the most important to you, and I'm sorry you haven't seen enough yet. But your opinion applies to you and you alone. Its not wrong, but my opinion applies to me and me alone and it isn't wrong either. When I finish a Pokemon game, I almost never explore. I fly to the daycare, the friend safari, to the battle Maison and that's pretty much it. In Hoenn, I'm gonna fly to the contests, my super base, the battle frontier (if they add it), the day care, and that's pretty much it. But already, I'm exploring more, not because of a post game area but because features are dragging me all over Hoenn again. Heck, secret bases mean I'll explore every nook and cranny to find the right one and find ones I enjoy and switch through them, etc. Obviously, this doesn't matter to you, and that's fantastic! I honestly don't mind reading your different opinion, I don't want to be mean or hurt your feelings, but be careful what you assume. I don't like having to keep re-explaining my own personal interests in a Pokemon game and being told they are wrong. If you don't agree with how I play, that's too bad but don't tell me its wrong, just say "personally, I prefer _______ because of _______" you might have more people agreeing with you. You make it sound like their is only one option, love the games or hate them. But we are all capable of loving certain aspects and hating others.

EDIT: I am so sorry about all the mistakes! I wrote it on my phone, I'll try and be more careful in the future.I corrected the ones I could see now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  18. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

This^ In the end its all personal preference, Bolt you may not think new megas are enough but for me and aerodactly here its enough, basically All I can hope for is the battle frontier and even if thats not in I'm sure they'll do something with that spot besides just a battle tower ( and if not well >_> whatever just lessens replay value alittle)

19. Cram

Cram Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the original R/S/E games, so the fact they're even fully remaking them with the current 3DS engine is something I'm incredibly excited about.

Anything extra (megas, dex expansion, story revamp, added areas) just makes it that much better.

I think some of us should take a step back and not be greedy with our expectations. I mean, let's remember when we wanted/prayed for these games before they were even announced. We all should be grateful Gamefreak even decided to acknowledge our fandom fantasies that R/S/E could be remade.

20. Something I have to say regarding this in general (not that this is directed at me):

Since I've never played the original RSE for any extreme amount of time*, I don't really care what else they do or don't put in the remakes, since it will be like a brand new region I'm exploring for the most part.

*-I only got up to the second city in Ruby and then just stopped playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.