• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Yeah it looks kinda obvious to me actually.
We can't know for sure why they have done this. It might be because of technical reasons, it might be just laziness.
I just hope that the people who like customization show their feedback to GF so they won't do this again.

I don't it's 'laziness', but rather keeping the nostalgia.]

I'd like to think that trainer customization will be a staple feature in future generations, but for remakes, no.
When Gen 4 gets remade and it didn't have customization, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

We didn't have any problem playing the main characters without any customization for 5 generations.
...Gen 6 really spoiled people.

Xuxuba

I'd like to think that trainer customization will be a staple feature in future generations, but for remakes, no.
When Gen 4 gets remade and it didn't have customization, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

We didn't have any problem playing the main characters without any customization for 5 generations.
Well, if we are going to theorize about what passes through GF's mind, i would say this was caused by several reasons like:
1- Nostalgic value
2- eShop's limit is 2gb so the game cannot be too heavy if they want to use the eShop
3- There'll be a lot of cutscenes (and customization makes it difficult to make a lot of cutscenes)
4- Both parents appear in the game, so it wouldn't make sense if the protagonist was too different from them
5- They though it would be better to forget about customization for now and to focus on some other aspects, like the postgame and features like Contests and Secret bases...

Though i think those are valid reasons, i don't think removing it from ORAS is the best option.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. When GF removed the day/night cycle from Ruby and Sapphire, people complained a lot.
GF said they had some reasons to remove it but now they have no reasons to remove it besides the 'nostalgia' and i am sure that alone is not enough for them to decide to remove something as old and popular as the day/night cycle.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
No. We will be fighting both in the demo, but in-game it's as it was in Ruby and Sapphire.

Do we need a copy of X or Y to play the demo or will we just need access to the internet when we get the serial code?

*I apologize if im asking stupid questions i just dont want to miss out of anything*

Akashin

Do we need a copy of X or Y to play the demo or will we just need access to the internet when we get the serial code?

*I apologize if im asking stupid questions i just dont want to miss out of anything*

The demo has absolutely no link to X or Y, so no, you won't need to have them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If you ask me, trainer customization was worthless. Before X and Y came out I thought it was a good idea, but in hindsight I don't like it. None of the clothes in the game were more appealing to me than the ones your trainer starts off with, and there was way too many things in those games that require you to be "fashionable." I'm glad that you can't customize, it means they'll focus on the more important stuff.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
and there was way too many things in those games that require you to be "fashionable."

Style points are unrelated to one's clothing.

mankarp

GF are experts adding things in one game, remove them from the next game and adding them back again in future games. It always happens and it will always happen, sad but true. ( Animated sprites, battle frontiers, move tutors, etc.)
So we can assume we won't have character customization in ORAS but we will probably have it again if they release Z/X2Y2 or in a future gen VII.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Style points are unrelated to one's clothing.

Really? Then how do you get them? I always just assumed that when they said you don't have enough style, it meant that your clothes weren't good enough for them.

DasManiac

Mega Evolution is in the game and that wasn't in the originals and neither was Primal Reversion. If Game Freak wants to preserve nostalgia then why would they add those things? Sorry but that argument holds no weight.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This is how. Nothing in the games served to drag you kicking and screaming into Customization if you didn't want to.

I don't get how any of those things affect style, but whatever. Anyways, I realize that nothing made you, and I didn't. I'd just rather them spend their time on more worthwhile features, that's all.

lavanda

Really feeling it
Yuuup.

Mega Evolution is in the game and that wasn't in the originals and neither was Primal Reversion. If Game Freak wants to preserve nostalgia then why would they add those things? Sorry but that argument holds no weight.
Except they couldn't remove Mega Evolutions from these games, it would ruin link battle compatibility and official competitions running for both XY and ORAS. If they're not removing it, there's no reason to introduce new ones, the hype for this game would be severely cut down if they held them off. They didn't have a choice for nostalgia's sake, unlike pretty much everything else.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I will never understand how this makes any sort of logical sense. Just because people want to experience nostalgia doesn't mean they want to get rid of all of the improvements that the series has made since then, if you leave stuff out that people have gotten used to, it'll feel irrelevant and inferior to the modern games. And that's the exact opposite feeling that you want a remake to have.

I wouldn't really call that being spoiled, it's just that people don't like inconsistency. If you remove something that people liked about the game, it'll feel worse than it did, and then if you constantly swap out certain features between games people don't know what to expect. On top of that, people's expectations increase as technology does. You expect a 3DS game to be higher quality than a DS game because the 3DS is capable of doing more. So naturally you expect some of the 3DS' improvements to stick.

And it's one thing if this were a minor feature like Contests/Secret Bases that was simply a minor side feature that isn't overall significant to the game (although a good game should have a decent amount of replay value using features like these, but they definitely do not need those specific features in every single game) or it directly tied to the region's lore or theme. It's something entirely different when it's a core gameplay feature that improves the experience. Customization is more the latter, it helps enhance the online experience by giving you a unique identity as opposed to having only a dozen or so options to choose from.

Honestly, I think Game Freak likes using things like "region specific gimmick" and "fresh start" as excuses for the decline in content in recent games. I was fine with the way things were in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen because in those generations, they generally didn't remove things that were too major, and often times they replaced the things they removed with something similar (such as Pokegear with Pokenav and Poketch, Apricorn Balls with new kinds of Poke Balls, etc.). But in 5th and 6th gen it's gotten to the point where they removed significant things from the gameplay and didn't really replace them. 5th gen didn't have any of the useful things like rematch devices or apps that you saw in 3rd and 4th gen. XY didn't have any sort of side feature like Contests and Secret Bases whatsoever and felt extremely shallow as a result. It was one thing when they swapped out some of the things they did in 3rd and 4th gen, that was a good way of giving each region their own unique identity. Now it just feels like they're being stingy.

tl:dr It's not spoiled because customization is too major and removing it feels like a step backwards.

Is this not night?

If that's night, it looks equally as underwhelming as XY, you can barely even tell a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.