• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I like things being proper and tidy, sue me :p

I can't look it up now but I'm pretty sure in FRLG Bill or Cello (the trade guy in the Islands) mentions something about Hoenn and how they're basically at the same time. The time-capsle and pure references in GSC ensure it is 3 years ahead of RBY. I also believe their is a link between DPP and HGSS but again cannot look it up atm. Feel free to find and correct me but I do believe there was in-game references to the timeline being parallel or at the very least, damn close.

But, at what point in Kalos does it say that it exists outside of any other timeline?

And, if it does, who's to say that GameFreak doesn't perform a minor retcon to explain the ability to use MegaEvolution in Hoenn games? They've done retcons before, in the Third Versions and in future games. Case in point, Cyrus using Giratina, as opposed to Palkia/Dialga and the whole Distortion World thing. Scott following Brendan/May around Hoenn because he's recruiting skilled trainers for the Frontier. Red getting Pikachu as opposed to the starter. Eusine chasing Suicune around Johto, as opposed to Suicune being a standard runner. The supposed "inability to evolve Golbat into Crobat" because of some deus ex machina, until the National PokeDex is obtained in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Trust me, if they want to make it so, they'll find a way to explain it, even if it makes little sense.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
It would be interesting if we got an extension of Archie and Maxie's history on why they're so focused on expanding the sea/land. It doesn't have to be a full on flashback like AZ, but it would be nice if we got hints of their past from a random NPC like for Cyrus in Platinum.

You think May/Brendan will fully evolve the starter this time? It felt anticlimatic to be fighting a Combusken at most.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Tl;Dr you got too technical pointlessly and i stopped reading.
The point of my post was to highlight how items could be turned into mega stones for whatever reason.
Like people saying the Red/Blue orbs turned out to be the mega stones for Kyogre/Groudon... or, how (as i just said) Giratinas orb changes its form, so GF/Nintendo could technically say, OH HEY! Well look he changed forms because that was MEGA STONES and back then we didnt know they were but NOW we know!... no just no. Forced plot if i ever heard one

And, your point is what exactly? Ever play Fire Red and Leaf Green? Did you try to evolve Golbat or Eevee prior to getting the National Dex only to get the "but suddenly it stopped evolving" even though you know you didn't stop it yourself? Yeah, at least if they include the whole "Orbs being Mega Stones" thing, they'll have some semblance of an explanation opposed to that.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
But, at what point in Kalos does it say that it exists outside of any other timeline?

And, if it does, who's to say that GameFreak doesn't perform a minor retcon to explain the ability to use MegaEvolution in Hoenn games? They've done retcons before, in the Third Versions and in future games. Case in point, Cyrus using Giratina, as opposed to Palkia/Dialga and the whole Distortion World thing. Scott following Brendan/May around Hoenn because he's recruiting skilled trainers for the Frontier. Red getting Pikachu as opposed to the starter. Eusine chasing Suicune around Johto, as opposed to Suicune being a standard runner. The supposed "inability to evolve Golbat into Crobat" because of some deus ex machina, until the National PokeDex is obtained in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Trust me, if they want to make it so, they'll find a way to explain it, even if it makes little sense.

I do believe the Prof says Mega Evolution is a recently discovered Kalos only-esq statement

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
And, your point is what exactly? Ever play Fire Red and Leaf Green? Did you try to evolve Golbat or Eevee prior to getting the National Dex only to get the "but suddenly it stopped evolving" even though you know you didn't stop it yourself? Yeah, at least if they include the whole "Orbs being Mega Stones" thing, they'll have some semblance of an explanation opposed to that.

I even say "My point"... in that post...

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
i havent play x/y yet so yeah thats why i didnt know who it was

It would be interesting if we got an extension of Archie and Maxie's history on why they're so focused on expanding the sea/land. It doesn't have to be a full on flashback like AZ, but it would be nice if we got hints of their past from a random NPC like for Cyrus in Platinum.

You think May/Brendan will fully evolve the starter this time? It felt anticlimatic to be fighting a Combusken at most.

I agree I also wonder how the other team is going to play a part in the storyline in the opposite game. I.e. team magma in alpha sapphire.

also I agree with the rival thing I really do hope they become more rival like. I have to say their rival battle theme is by far my favorite from any generation so I'm excited to hear it remastered

also... Acro and Mach bikes :)

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
I agree I also wonder how the other team is going to play a part in the storyline in the opposite game. I.e. team magma in alpha sapphire.

also I agree with the rival thing I really do hope they become more rival like. I have to say their rival battle theme is by far my favorite from any generation so I'm excited to hear it remastered

also... Acro and Mach bikes :)

Oh man, I am so hyped to get 2 bikes again. Those puzzles were so annoying, especially if you played Emerald. Emerald made the bike puzzles harder than RS, but they were so rewarding if you succeeded.

I don't know why, but I always thought Brendan and May's teams were lacking in terms of pokemon. I played Emerald, so it was just Marshtop, Sluga, Tropius, Ludicolo. Not too intimidating like Barry's team, where nearly all his pokemon knew Close Combat. It's probably not fair to compare their team to other rivals, but it just feels...meh to me as far as rival teams go. At least when compared to Wally's team, which felt better suited for competitive battling imo. It's a little ironic since Wally was that sick kid you helped out and struggled to battle with you at the beginning. In all honesty, I saw Wally more of a rival than Brendan and May.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I do believe the Prof says Mega Evolution is a recently discovered Kalos only-esq statement

As a means to explain why it was never in any other game. Again, I point out the many other methods of evolutions that appear in each new generation, but most notably the happiness evolution for Pokémon like Golbat, Eevee, and Chansey. Also, breeding via Incense to get baby forms of Pokémon like Snorlax, Chansey and Marill.

Again, I get your point and respect what you're saying. Really, I do. But, ultimately it's futile to fight what is more than likely going to be inevitable. MegaEvolution is their new thing, and they're going to roll with it like they did with "alternate forms" in the past two generations once they saw how big a hit Deoxys was. Most likely, it'll show up as some form of post-game side quest you can do that unlocks Mega Evolution.

You can't use the argument that "the mechanic didn't exist then, so it's a retcon if it exists now" because of the fact that there is no explanation as to why we couldn't get Crobat, Blissey, Espeon or Umbreon in Red and Blue, aside from "the mechanic didn't exist then", which translated to "stopped evolving for some reason" in the remakes. That "some reason" being something as simple as needing the National Dex first. Yeah, it's a retcon. They've done it before, and they're likely to do it again. Moreover, we're all going to keep loving them in spite of it because as much as it might irritate us, we still love Pokémon.

I even say "My point"... in that post...

But you conveniently ignored the precedent set in previous remakes. We're dealing with remakes, so look to the past remakes for the standard of continuity that we can expect from OR/AS.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
As a means to explain why it was never in any other game. Again, I point out the many other methods of evolutions that appear in each new generation, but most notably the happiness evolution for Pokémon like Golbat, Eevee, and Chansey. Also, breeding via Incense to get baby forms of Pokémon like Snorlax, Chansey and Marill.

Again, I get your point and respect what you're saying. Really, I do. But, ultimately it's futile to fight what is more than likely going to be inevitable. MegaEvolution is their new thing, and they're going to roll with it like they did with "alternate forms" in the past two generations once they saw how big a hit Deoxys was. Most likely, it'll show up as some form of post-game side quest you can do that unlocks Mega Evolution.

You can't use the argument that "the mechanic didn't exist then, so it's a retcon if it exists now" because of the fact that there is no explanation as to why we couldn't get Crobat, Blissey, Espeon or Umbreon in Red and Blue, aside from "the mechanic didn't exist then", which translated to "stopped evolving for some reason" in the remakes. That "some reason" being something as simple as needing the National Dex first. Yeah, it's a retcon. They've done it before, and they're likely to do it again. Moreover, we're all going to keep loving them in spite of it because as much as it might irritate us, we still love Pokémon.
I'm the first person to want Mega Evos. i love them. My 2 Favourite Pokemon got 2 each. Just at the same time, want a decent reason as to why they're in the game, which hopefully they are.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner

But you conveniently ignored the precedent set in previous remakes. We're dealing with remakes, so look to the past remakes for the standard of continuity that we can expect from OR/AS.

I could literally care less what happened in those "precedents". Just because that happened doesn't mean it should be applied as "foolproof logic" here.
If they SOMEHOW manage to make mega evolutions possible in these games, they better give a pretty damn good explanation and not something rushed and stupid like what I'm saying "Oh they were mega evolutions before, we just 'didn't have a name for it', or 'didn't know they were megas'" or something stupid like that.

I do NOT want Kyogre and Groudon to have megas, even if the game had none, I wouldn't care one way or another because at least there would be consistency in SOMETHING.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I'm the first person to want Mega Evos. i love them. My 2 Favourite Pokemon got 2 each. Just at the same time, want a decent reason as to why they're in the game, which hopefully they are.

You're probably not going to get much better than the Red/Blue Orbs being inert Mega Stones.

Think about it this way. The orbs already share a relation to Groudon and Kyogre. They awaken the beasts and have a means of unleashing their power, as stated in the original Third Gen games. Now, once you beat the Champion, you can go on a side quest to unlock the inert potential hidden in the Red/Blue Orb, which turns them into the Groudonite or Kyogrite.

Forced? Possibly.

But, a hell of a lot better than the explanation we got as to why we couldn't evolve Golbat, Chansey or Eevee until after we got the National PokeDex.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
I really hope that they don't give Salamence or Metagross a mega evolution. It feels unnecessary. Even though they're really popular, it's not like they need that extra boost when they're already pseudo legendaries and are already strong on their own. That's my opinion anyway. I still think mega Garchomp and Tyranitar was uncalled for. I hope that if the remake is going to add additional megas, they should give it to weaker pokemon that don't get as much spotlight like they did with Mawile. Maybe Sableye should get a mega?

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
I was never that hyped up for these games as some fans kept going on and on about remakes for years. But now they've announced it i'm excited to be playing through Hoenn again. I just hope they add lots of cool extras like they did in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

I loved the secret bases and i really do hope that they will be wifi/internet enabled so others can come in to you game and look around/trade items or dolls etc.

Also, more dive!!

Riskybiscuit

I could literally care less what happened in those "precedents". Just because that happened doesn't mean it should be applied as "foolproof logic" here.
If they SOMEHOW manage to make mega evolutions possible in these games, they better give a pretty damn good explanation and not something rushed and stupid like what I'm saying "Oh they were mega evolutions before, we just 'didn't have a name for it', or 'didn't know they were megas'" or something stupid like that.

I do NOT want Kyogre and Groudon to have megas, even if the game had none, I wouldn't care one way or another because at least there would be consistency in SOMETHING.

That's what I'm saying, if they want megas then just make it take place after X and Y, you can have the same story, it can still be a remake, it'd just explain megas if they want them and fairy type too. like how unova got all these japanese pokemon over the two years, maybe a post XY world is full of fairy types now cause they introduced them.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?

In all my years of being a fan of this series, I can only tell you this one thing. Be prepared to be disappointed. They always run with their new thing, and they'll find a way to include it.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
You're probably not going to get much better than the Red/Blue Orbs being inert Mega Stones.

Think about it this way. The orbs already share a relation to Groudon and Kyogre. They awaken the beasts and have a means of unleashing their power, as stated in the original Third Gen games. Now, once you beat the Champion, you can go on a side quest to unlock the inert potential hidden in the Red/Blue Orb, which turns them into the Groudonite or Kyogrite.

Forced? Possibly.

But, a hell of a lot better than the explanation we got as to why we couldn't evolve Golbat, Chansey or Eevee until after we got the National PokeDex.

Agreed. Does feel a tad forced but could be done well. Maybe the side quest will have Scyamore? Make a bit more sense.

At least HGSS fixed most of those Dex issues. You couldn't evolve Eevee due to a lack of a clock in FRLG

BCVM22

Or they will, as always, not let their own tissue-thin story and timeline get in the way of good gameplay - as they never have, shouldn't and never will - and they'll make all of the current game mechanics available some way or another and not give it a second thought.

I don't know why you'd think they would need "a pretty damn good explanation" or any sort of explanation. It's a Pokémon game in 2014 and it'll play at the standard of Pokémon games in 2014. Simple as that.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Agreed. Does feel a tad forced but could be done well. Maybe the side quest will have Scyamore? Make a bit more sense.

At least HGSS fixed most of those Dex issues. You couldn't evolve Eevee due to a lack of a clock in FRLG

I wouldn't object to Sycamore providing his input on the subject, considering that's his area of expertise.

Still doesn't explain Crobat or Blissey though.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
That's what I'm saying, if they want megas then just make it take place after X and Y, you can have the same story, it can still be a remake, it'd just explain megas if they want them and fairy type too. like how unova got all these japanese pokemon over the two years, maybe a post XY world is full of fairy types now cause they introduced them.
Well if Hoenn takes place AFTER Kalos then that would make sense. Lets get everyone to sign a petition to have GF/Nintendo release the chronology of the pokemon world. And if there is one, someone please link it to me.

In all my years of being a fan of this series, I can only tell you this one thing. Be prepared to be disappointed. They always run with their new thing, and they'll find a way to include it.

I am prepared to be disappointed, I've been playing since Red/Blue first came out. But still, even if they run with the new thing as you say, that'd be exceedingly stupid all around. They already have many methods to show pokemon altering their forms: Meloetta, Keldeo, Deoxys, Giratina among others... but if they want to just force it into the games then that's just plane dumb.

Or they will, as always, not let their own tissue-thin story and timeline get in the way of good gameplay - as they never have, shouldn't and never will - and they'll make all of the current game mechanics available some way or another and not give it a second thought.

I don't know why you'd think they would need "a pretty damn good explanation" or any sort of explanation. It's a Pokémon game in 2014 and it'll play at the standard of Pokémon games in 2014. Simple as that.

You usually give pretty solid arguments but that's stupid. Just because its 2014 and should play like a 2014 game doesn't mean they should take the story/plot/time line and trash it.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Well if Hoenn takes place AFTER Kalos then that would make sense. Lets get everyone to sign a petition to have GF/Nintendo release the chronology of the pokemon world. And if there is one, someone please link it to me.

I am prepared to be disappointed, I've been playing since Red/Blue first came out. But still, even if they run with the new thing as you say, that'd be exceedingly stupid all around. They already have many methods to show pokemon altering their forms: Meloetta, Keldeo, Deoxys, Giratina among others... but if they want to just force it into the games then that's just plane dumb.

There isn't an official chronology for the Pokémon games, and this is the exact reason why. They want the freedom to include stuff like this into potential remakes. As BCVM22 said, they will include all current mechanics in the game.

But, if you've been a fan since Red and Blue, then you already know what Game Freak is going to do. They won't use their older mechanics. It's old news. It's outplayed and overstayed it's welcome. The new hotness is MegaEvolution. Love it or hate it, any fan since Red and Blue knows exactly what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.