• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yeah I know where you coming from really. These games really remind me of HG/SS. Nice graphics boost. I will mainly be playing them just because I find play Pokemon fun. I am not expecting any thing majorly new to be in them. I will wait to see the next new title for any thing major.

I never really saw HG/SS as revolutionary anyway. I was happy that we were getting remakes of G/S and compared to that, the new features meant almost nothing to me. I'm hyped for OR/AS because I want to play through Hoenn again with enhanced graphics and that's really it. I don't feel entitled to anything more tbh.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
See, but with HGSS graphics weren't the only thing I had to look forward to. There was Pokemon following, there was the Pokeathlon, there was the Safari Zone. I don't see anything like that in this game. Mega Evolutions maybe, but they don't really have much of an effect on this game because of how they're limited. It feels more like FRLG than HGSS.

The change from GSC to HGSS was really major. Johto never really had a huge variety of features/facilities. So when the Pokeathlon, following Pokemon, and Johto Safari Zone were introduced, of course people would greatly anticipate that. It was completely NEW.

Meanwhile, Hoenn already had these to begin with: Diving, Berry Planting, Trick House, Secret Bases, Pokemon Contests, Safari Zone, Battle Frontier. All GF had to do it to improve and expand it by adding features/mechanics not present in the original.

I observed that you had never been satisfied and contented with what ORAS had shown us right from the start. I'm just curious, what new features were you actually expecting?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The change from GSC to HGSS was really major. Johto never really had a huge variety of features/facilities. So when the Pokeathlon, following Pokemon, and Johto Safari Zone were introduced, of course people would greatly anticipate that. It was completely NEW.

Meanwhile, Hoenn already had these to begin with: Diving, Berry Planting, Trick House, Secret Bases, Pokemon Contests, Safari Zone, Battle Frontier. All GF had to do it to improve and expand it by adding features/mechanics not present in the original.

That's exactly my point. HGSS' features had a newness factor that made them more exciting. Simply recycling the same kinds of side features as the originals isn't really as appealing to someone who's played the originals.

I observed that you had never been satisfied and contented with what ORAS had shown us right from the start. I'm just curious, what new features were you actually expecting?

-Dex expansion including 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, maybe even some 6th gen Pokemon not in the original Hoenn Dex.
-More changes to the region, more new areas (that island chain near the Battle Frontier would've been perfect for post game, but we can see that at least two of them are completely unused), more redesigns, less copy/paste than we got.
-More new side features, gameplay mechanics, anything new that spices up the experience.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
-Dex expansion including 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, maybe even some 6th gen Pokemon not in the original Hoenn Dex.
-More changes to the region, more new areas (that island chain near the Battle Frontier would've been perfect for post game, but we can see that at least two of them are completely unused), more redesigns, less copy/paste than we got.
-More new side features, gameplay mechanics, anything new that spices up the experience.

Hmmm. So far we know that only cross-gen 4 evos would make it to the Hoenn Dex.
Although we still don't know if they'll pull a Platinum on this one and append new Pokemon on the end of the Dex.

If we base it on map alone, we really don't see completely new areas, just plain expansions.
Gotta hate GF's cloud censorship. I guess we'll only know what they added post-game once we have the game.

Well, we know Trainer hordes are new. There's also that sneaking mechanic. But there's still a lot we don't know...
And they still haven't shown the PokeNav. I've got a lot of questions on my mind, but all they really bother showing us are Megas. And I'm tired of those.

The reveals have honestly been everything I could have hoped for so far. They look like fantastic remakes. The only thing I'm still hoping for is character customization in these games, although I've almost lost all hope for that...xD

.Aerodactyl.

That's exactly my point. HGSS' features had a newness factor that made them more exciting. Simply recycling the same kinds of side features as the originals isn't really as appealing to someone who's played the originals.

See, thing is, as a HUGE fan of crystal, I was already going to buy HGSS simply because I loved the originals. As soon as they were announced, I was sold. Following pokemon and the pokeathalon was nice, but I still preferred contests to pokeathlon, and it personally isn't what sold the games to me. I bought them cause they were remakes of a beloved generation, same with FR/LG. That's just me and a few others I guess. I'd love following Pokemon, but I don't really play HG/SS anymore now that X/Y is here, and now the following Pokemon though cute, don't make up for the newer graphics, breeding mechanics and new Pokemon from gen five and six in X/Y. Not to mention that with XY graphics, following Pokemon don't look as cute anymore in HGSS.

I can understand the frustration from a lack of new Pokemon in the Dex, but I also kind of understand why they did it. X/Y had a huge Dex, we just had that, ORAS was meant to more closely follow Hoenn and that line as a remake. I'm personally not upset because that's why I'm playing Hoenn: to re-experience gen three and their Pokemon. Post game is when I really want to bring in all my new favourites from later generations for contests and battling, and that's when I'll get them. I know you won't be getting the games Bolt, but for other there is one bright side to a smaller Dex. It means the game will be more challenging than X/Y, because you'll have limited options before each gym. Part of the ease of X/Y is how easy it was to get a balanced team from the beginning. You always had several Pokemon to counter the gym leaders, etc. Plus, we don't know if they added Pokemon at the end of the traditional Hoenn dex instead of sprinkling it tbroighout. But I do understand your frustration. I just feel that the whole point of a remake is to play Hoenn. They'll add other Pokemon post Dex to get our lopunny's and slowbros, and they'll patch X/Y probably to be compatible for everyone.

-whilst I think new areas, especially some post game stuff is exciting and more necessary than an expanded Dex for a remake, and I understand why no new areas would frustrate you. I just think its to early to judge what new areas we have yet, since we haven't got the games. We can already see several changes and new things to the existing map, and they don't show post game areas until post game. Yes, there was a small chain of islands by the battle frontier, but they didn't have to use them. Firstly, they just made new areas and secondly those small islands were few and far between. They weren't enough for a post game area. And, like Sevii islands, post game content could be on an entirely different map. "Its a waste not to use those island chains" is just personal opinion, and in no way fact. I think its a waste TO use them, since they are so small and wouldn't give us much, plus even more surfing.

-I really think contests, super secret bases, new megas and (fingers crossed) the battle frontier are great mechanics. While not completely new, with the new online capabilities, changes and graphics, I don't think they're anything to sneeze at. I'd rather features I like return and get improved, like contests and secret bases have, then have them get dropped for new things. Especially because none of the new mechanics they've ever made for me have been better than contests. I don't think they should never make new things however,otherwise we would t get contests and secret bases to begin with. ORAS wouldn't suffer from a new feature. But, for me, the mechanics they've introduced are enough for me. I dont expect anymore from this game, but rather from gen seven orZ/X2Y2. (At least import contests and secret bases into the X/Y special edition please! I definitely expect new/improved features from gen 7.) But I completely understsnd why you would want to see something new and your opinion is completely valid to you. On a side note, we haven't seen anything of the safari zone yet!

Last edited:

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
would be awesome if tate and liza were not only a double battle, but an inverse battle too.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
would be awesome if tate and liza were not only a double battle, but an inverse battle too.

Maybe in the post-game that could be an option, but I think a simple Double Battle like in R/S/E would be enough of a gimmick for the Gym battle against them tbh.

R_N

Does anyone think that XY trading capabilities would be available in OrAs without having to clear the game? (i.e. with Pokemon that could exist in both versions, not necessarily new Mega stones)

Iirc, HGSS allowed it with the previous game when that came out.
HGSS allowed it
BW2 allowed it

I see no reason to think that ORAS wouldn't allow it. FRLG & to an extent Emerald are the only ones that have done this.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Hmmm. So far we know that only cross-gen 4 evos would make it to the Hoenn Dex.
Although we still don't know if they'll pull a Platinum on this one and append new Pokemon on the end of the Dex.

It wouldn't make sense to pull a Platinum since they already have to renumber everything.

Well, we know Trainer hordes are new. There's also that sneaking mechanic. But there's still a lot we don't know...

Trainer Hordes really aren't new, because there's no real difference in terms of game mechanics between wild battles and trainer battles.

The sneaking mechanic though, I want to see more about that. I have a feeling it might be Safari Zone exclusive though.

And they still haven't shown the PokeNav.

Another thing I want to see. I don't think they'll add anything new there, but I am hoping that they add in some XY features. It'd be a step backwards if we don't get the PSS' instant communication in some way or another.

I've got a lot of questions on my mind, but all they really bother showing us are Megas. And I'm tired of those.

You and me both. I was done with seeing Megas after the first month or two.

I can understand the frustration from a lack of new Pokemon in the Dex, but I also kind of understand why they did it. X/Y had a huge Dex, we just had that, ORAS was meant to more closely follow Hoenn and that line as a remake.

I don't really see the point, as long as Hoenn remains the focus, why is it such a crime to have Pokemon in the Dex that weren't there in the originals? And the whole point of having new ones is to complement the Hoenn Pokemon, not overshadow them.

I know you won't be getting the games Bolt, but for other there is one bright side to a smaller Dex. It means the game will be more challenging than X/Y, because you'll have limited options before each gym. Part of the ease of X/Y is how easy it was to get a balanced team from the beginning. You always had several Pokemon to counter the gym leaders, etc.

Pokemon variety was far from the biggest problem with XY's difficulty, and it's not a huge problem in ORAS either. You generally have plenty of options in Hoenn too.

I just feel that the whole point of a remake is to play Hoenn. They'll add other Pokemon post Dex to get our lopunny's and slowbros, and they'll patch X/Y probably to be compatible for everyone.

Adding in new Pokemon to the Dex doesn't change that.

Yurimin

Snowflake Trainer
See, thing is, as a HUGE fan of crystal, I was already going to buy HGSS simply because I loved the originals. As soon as they were announced, I was sold. Following pokemon and the pokeathalon was nice, but I still preferred contests to pokeathlon, and it personally isn't what sold the games to me. I bought them cause they were remakes of a beloved generation, same with FR/LG. That's just me and a few others I guess. I'd love following Pokemon, but I don't really play HG/SS anymore now that X/Y is here, and now the following Pokemon though cute, don't make up for the newer graphics, breeding mechanics and new Pokemon from gen five and six in X/Y. Not to mention that with XY graphics, following Pokemon don't look as cute anymore in HGSS.

It's the same for me really. While I have to say 4th Gen is my favorite, I played 2nd Gen/3rd Gen the most. Naturally, it makes me excited to explore the region I ventured through so many times during my childhood with updated graphics and new mechanics. I was extremely pleased with HGSS too, and although it looks like ORAS won't be getting the improvement in terms of new content like HGSS did, I know I'll enjoy it.

...But I must admit, they are really going overboard with the whole Mega thing. I'm interested in how the designs of the Megas that they haven't introduced officially yet, but I think there are enough Megas already tbh (at least for ORAS anyway)

I'm a big fan of Hoenn in general. Generation 3 to me set the bar so high that I always kind of knew even as a kid that no other region is going to clear it. That's not to say that I've disliked all games after it, because that's far from the truth. It's just that Hoenn has been the best in terms of everything judging by my taste. This is just my personal preference of course. But a region filled to the brim with natural formations down to the towns being built on the treetops? That's amazing. Heck, I don't think there's a Pokemon design that I even dislike. Of course they were flaws, but they never made me not want to play the games. There is never a "god, this level again?" when I go through Hoenn. Even gen 1, my first game has had several points like that. Hoenn's biggest problem is the lack of post game, but everything in game is fine. I also want the physical special split because... well it's kind of annoying not having that.

I can't help having that fangirlyness unfortunately. I can analyze the game from every angle and be logical, but this is one of the few times that I can't logic my way out of enjoyment. That means that no matter what, I'm going to like these games. I emphasize like because I want to see if Gamefreak is going to make me love these games. I want the remakes to be able to really usurp the old games from their throne. I really do get where Bolt is coming from. If this were, say, a gen 4 remake, I'd probably be pretty similar to him. However, I've wanted these games for so long that I'm just going to have to be disappointed in myself. I just can't fight the fact that I'm no matter what, just being in Hoenn is going to be enough.

.Aerodactyl.

I don't really see the point, as long as Hoenn remains the focus, why is it such a crime to have Pokemon in the Dex that weren't there in the originals? And the whole point of having new ones is to complement the Hoenn Pokemon, not overshadow them.

Oh, I'm not saying it's bad, or that you're wrong, or anything. I understand your point completely. I was just expressing some of my thoughts, and why I personally won't be upset by the old Hoenn dex. As I said, I think I can understand what some of their motivation may have been. I'm not saying they called it right, or it was the smartest, but I think they took the Hoenn Nostalgia and fan out cry for Hoenn and thought it meant "Stay with the classic Hoenn, we all want so much Hoenn". Again, not an excuse, not the best decision, but I think that's why they did it.

And maybe they will pull a Platinum on us and we'll get an expanded dex after the Hoenn Dex. Probably not, but who knows? And if they did it that way instead of integrating it in, I don't think it will matter or anyone will care the way it was done.

Pokemon variety was far from the biggest problem with XY's difficulty, and it's not a huge problem in ORAS either. You generally have plenty of options in Hoenn too.

Adding in new Pokemon to the Dex doesn't change that.

I definitely do not think nor did I say it was the biggest problem with X/Y's difficulty :). But, it was a contributing factor. I even admitted it will still be easy, but I really honestly think it will make it at least a little bit harder. I was just peeking at what is available in the early routes, and it's much less then X/Y. You had the elemental monkeys in the forest route. Pikachu. You could find fairy types, fighting types... way more options to go with than Hoenn originally gives you, and their rate of appearance is much more frequent than what Hoenn had. But we don't know how difficult Hoenn will make it to find Ralts and what not. I'm doing a Nuzlocke in X/Y, and by limiting the capturable pokemon to mimic older games with less options has increased the difficulty (Of course, releasing your pokemon after they faint also really makes it difficult too, so take what I saw with a grain of salt).

I wasn't so much trying to say that a smaller dex was a good decision or the best, I was just trying to point out something that might cheer up people who are disappointed in the smaller dex but are still planning on buying ORAS. Just giving a sort of silver lining :D I hope you don't feel attacked Bolt. As I said, I understand the fan outcry and think it's valid, I just had different expectations than others so I'm personally less disappointed.

Honestly, for the most part Gen three is doing what it's always been good at doing. Completely dividing the fan base. Most people have really strong opinions about it, you either hated it or loved it. I hated the original Gen three as a whole, even though I loved contests. Some people hail it as one of the best Gens. Now I'm gonna love the remake, others will hate. I think the thing is, most people already decided they were gonna by this game or not as soon as it was mentioned. Those that decided to buy it, decided to buy it because they wanted Hoenn back in 3D with some X/Y graphics and features and they got exactly what they wanted. They had their teams picked out based on Hoenn pokemon and pokemon found in the Hoenn dex because they loved Hoenn. Some even started breeding their team to transfer over. Others are less enchanted by the older game. They don't need the same adventure over again. That's just the nature of a remake. I don't really have anything else to say about the ORAS Dex, so I'll end it there.

I'd be okay with this actually. It would be REALLY different, but I wouldn't mind. It would be a nice challange! I want to see more inverse battles in general, so that would suffice. I also wouldn't mind more double gym battles in general, I always hoped Tate and Liza would be the start of a new trend, that we'd get one in every future gen (Even if it was just one gym leader) but it never happened.

Last edited:

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
See, I can sort of agree with that, but that's because I'm a brown haired white female who likes that May doesn't wear a skirt/dress, has an actual BAG and not a purse, and doesn't wear a hat. So its easy to see myself as May in the play through. Where I think customization really counts for most people though is online play... Even if you never change outfits after the first time, its nice looking at different trainers everytime you battle instead of a bunch of clones. X/Y may have limited customization, but I've still yet to see the same trainer twice. That's really the largest reason I want it back, I want to be unique in online play. Plus, with secret bases and people making gyms, I don't want to face a hiker or an aroma lady or whatever... I want to see what people do to "Dress" the part of their gym leader!

(And I secretly want blue hair and clothes fromnprevious protagonist to be available so I can dress up as the best female protagonist of all time: Crystal. She's my favourite)

I'd love being able to use the outfits of previous protagonists in customization, or at least use their models for our gyms.

(I think its obvious why I like the idea :p)

.Aerodactyl.

I'd love being able to use the outfits of previous protagonists in customization, or at least use their models for our gyms.

(I think its obvious why I like the idea :p)

You my friend, would have an AWESOME secret base. I could see a bunch of people banning together to sort of make a "league" of old favourites. They could take their original teams and update them with new items and move combinations. I'd be more than okay with making a Crystal team and becoming crystal!(I don't think she actually has an official team though in game, so that might be much harder to pull off. I guess I could try and base it off the pokemon Adventures, not that I've ever read them. I've considered though).

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
You my friend, would have an AWESOME secret base. I could see a bunch of people banning together to sort of make a "league" of old favourites. They could take their original teams and update them with new items and move combinations. I'd be more than okay with making a Crystal team and becoming crystal!(I don't think she actually has an official team though in game, so that might be much harder to pull off. I guess I could try and base it off the pokemon Adventures, not that I've ever read them. I've considered though).

Yeah, I'm going to very much enjoy making Red's gym. I'll probably go with a cave, for a bit of a Mt. Silver feel, and maybe I'll use Mega Charizard X like in Origins. And a league like that would be amazing.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
there are going to be a lot of people disappointed in the options available to them for customizing their bases, mark my words

.Aerodactyl.

there are going to be a lot of people disappointed in the options available to them for customizing their bases, mark my words

Of course there will be. There are lots of people that are always going to be disappointed. But I also think there will be some REALLY creative people who will do things/themes none of us even thought of or thought was possible. Especially with the tricks and traps... there will be some awesome mazes, etc. Some people will spend a lot of time and make puzzles that rival and even exceed the in game ones. There are always all kinds of people. I think it will turn out like customization. Everyone loved it, but a lot of people still felt we had limited options, especially guys. Either way, it's already an improvement to the originals. When it comes to customization, some people can never have enough. We do get to name our team and stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.