• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
yeah they should have just had some university student code it in an afternoon for them., idiots

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I personally had no use for the BF in Emerald and I probably wouldn't have cared for it in OR/AS either, so I can kind of understand Masuda's point.

Akashin

I personally had no use for the BF in Emerald and I probably wouldn't have cared for it in OR/AS either, so I can kind of understand Masuda's point.

This. I'd be lying if I said the loss of the BF was one that hits me. I get the annoyance for people who do care, but I can't say I do.

Xuxuba

Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.
The whole game is easy, why couldn't they have at least made the postgame a little more challenging and less boring?
I always thought the BF was great, but it had one huge flaw: the prizes. I mean, yeah BPs are useful, but we can get them without defeating the Frontier Brain, so what's the point? It's only flaw was not rewarding you with something special for beating the Frontier Brain, that's exactly the same problem that completing the dex had, it was pretty much pointless before BW. So i was hoping that ORAS would fix that, but not only they didn't improved the experience, but they removed it completely from the series.
Anyway, at least i'm happy that this whole "BF DLC" nonsense will end.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
My problem with the logic behind that is we're already putting a lot of time into the game. The Contests require some time to be put into it to be completed, the Secret Bases require a lot of time as well (especially if you're going for 1000 flags), you're spending at least a few hours catching legendaries, among some other things. So with all of those options that require some time to be put in, why couldn't we have had another one that people in the past really enjoyed?

Really, I don't get the mindset. For those who don't care, they won't use it, but there are still a number of fans who do care and will use it. It shouldn't be removed because of some of those fans, it should've been left in as another option to spend your time to enjoy, and it's disappointing that a feature that many loved is going to be cast aside like that.

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of the bf (or the clothes for that matter) being removed either. I get its rather a competitive only aspect, as back in emerald I never beat the frontier (I barely beat ONE)

However while its true I've gotten older and more experienced with the metagame (I was not competitive back then.) Its also doubly true that the mechanics hhave become ALOT more accessible.

Besides, you already put a **** ton of effort climbing the battle mansion.That stuff is hard enough sometimes, you just have the resources to combat it now. I don't understand why the battle frontier gets this specific logic but other things don't...I really think they just started getting closer to end of development time and decided to prioiritizetheir final additions.

...what, headcanons make me feel better.

BCVM22

My problem with the logic behind that is we're already putting a lot of time into the game. The Contests require some time to be put into it to be completed, the Secret Bases require a lot of time as well (especially if you're going for 1000 flags), you're spending at least a few hours catching legendaries, among some other things. So with all of those options that require some time to be put in, why couldn't we have had another one that people in the past really enjoyed?

Doesn't that support Masuda's point just as much as if not more so than yours, though? That there's already quite a bit to do that requires a fair bit of meticulous - tedious? - effort and so it's not as if the removal of the Battle Frontier is felt nearly as much.

Xuxuba

Well, i played ORAS for 50 hours and i completed pretty much everything, except collecting 1000 flags, because i do not see the point (it's like killing 10000 zubats just for a potion).
Good games nowadays offer you at least 200 hours of gameplay and i think that's a good thing, because eletronic games are expensive, they should last more than 3 days. More content is never a bad thing, because if you don't want to play it anymore, you don't have to, but if you want to, you'll obviously need more things to do. The problem is not only the amount of things to do, but also the quality. You can hate the BF as much as you want, but 1) you don't have to play it, 2) a lot of people like the BF 3) the Maison will never be as good as the BF because the Maison is just like one of the BF's facilities: the battle tower (which it's the most boring one). So having the Maison instead of the BF is not progress.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Doesn't that support Masuda's point just as much as if not more so than yours, though? That there's already quite a bit to do that requires a fair bit of meticulous - tedious? - effort and so it's not as if the removal of the Battle Frontier is felt nearly as much.

That's in the eye of the beholder. Some fans prefer the Secret Bases, some the Contests, and some the Battle Frontier. If any of the previous two elements were missing, you could say the same thing, but the fans (and even those just looking for more content) would still miss that element. So in that sense, what makes the Battle Frontier so different in that regard?

As for the issue of "tediousness," note that some of the elements like the Secret Bases and Legendary Hunting were made more tedious in the transition, not less. Secret Bases were just a fun element you could do in RSE, it didn't require 1000 flags to get the highest rank. Similarly, we didn't have as many legendaries in RSE (or even in any other game before this one), and none of them required the amount of complexity to unlock and obtain some of those legendaries (ex. nicknaming Regice and giving it a cone for Regigigas).

I'm not saying I want those other elements gone for the Battle Frontier, I love having them there, but I don't understand the reasoning of "it's too tedious" when other elements are already tedious, or were made even more-so in the transition. Particularly when in the past, other games managed to give a lot of things to do without necessarily sacrificing one for the other (ex. B2W2 had PWT, Black Tower/White Treehollow, Funfest Missions, Battle Subway, Musicals, etc.).

Last edited:

BCVM22

but I don't understand the reasoning of "it's too tedious" when other elements are already tedious

I never said "too tedious". I said tedious, as in to indicate that there is at least an element of tedium to a number of these elements, just as there would have been to the Battle Frontier. As you said, though, tedium is subjective - I thought capturing each and every one of the Legendaries in the game was going to be tedious to the point of being off-putting and yet ultimately there I was waiting for Uxie o'clock with everyone else.

You can hate the BF as much as you want, but 1) you don't have to play it, 2) a lot of people like the BF 3) the Maison will never be as good as the BF because the Maison is just like one of the BF's facilities: the battle tower (which it's the most boring).

Pretty clear that no one here actively "hates" the Battle Frontier. That would be silly. To say "I understand the game director's reasoning behind excluding it, even if I don't strictly agree with it, and ultimately won't miss it all that much" is not tantamount to hate.

That "a lot of people like the BF" doesn't appear to have factored in all that strongly, evidently.

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Well, i played ORAS for 50 hours and i completed pretty much everything, except collecting 1000 flags, because i do not see the point (it's like killing 10000 zubats just for a potion).
Good games nowadays offer you at least 200 hours of gameplay and i think that's a good thing, because eletronic games are expensive, they should last more than 3 days. More content is never a bad thing, because if you don't want to play it anymore, you don't have to, but if you want to, you'll obviously need more things to do.

Ehh

Unless its an MMO I don't really spend 200 hours in almost any game save for multiplayer...idk. Just seems kind of off in numbers.

Xuxuba

Ehh

Unless its an MMO I don't really spend 200 hours in almost any game save for multiplayer...idk. Just seems kind of off in numbers.
Bravely default, fire emblem, smash bros, zelda oot, zelda a link between worlds. Those are a just few examples of good games that offer you more than 50 hours. Hell even Disney magical world offered me more than 50 hours.
Soul silver offered me like 4x more than 50 hours.

BCVM22

There is a very, very big gap between "more than 50 hours" and "200 hours". Two very different benchmarks. And if you were really able to get 200 hours out of Soul Silver over that game's life and that isn't just hyperbole, there's no reason you couldn't eventually do the same with OR/AS.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Smash bros seems more like an example of multiplayer or prep for multiplayer (in smash 4's case), which pokemon does fine for unless you've carried completely over from previous games and even then there's still plenty of room to do stuff and prep.

You could argue trophy collecting in that game as part of the reason why you have enough hours put in, but then you'd have to consider pokedex collecting which I'm sure did not take you 50 hours including everything else for the most part.

That said I haven't really played the rest of those games seriously enough (or at all for that matter.) to even get what you mean, so I'll just drop it.

Addmittably my oras story time was increased significantly by me atcually touching pokemon amie and killing the use of the exp share bar a few times I got lazy...so eh.

Also can't remember my HG play time...zzz

Last edited:

Xuxuba

There is a very, very big gap between "more than 50 hours" and "200 hours". Two very different benchmarks. And if you were really able to get 200 hours out of Soul Silver over that game's life and that isn't just hyperbole, there's no reason you couldn't eventually do the same with OR/AS.
*facepalm*
Just because i said more than 50 hours, it doesn't mean it's far away from 200 hours. You can bet that Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and Smash bros will take you that time. The only ones who doesn't are the Zelda games and that's because they are games that focus on the story so it can't be that long, but even still i played them for more time than oras.
Soul silver's BF makes me spend way more time playing it than the Battle Maison, Soul silver's athlon makes me play it way more than the Contests + Secret bases. Both are also more enjoyable.
Besides, that's just a bunch of Nintendo examples, there are hundreds of games that last a lot more than 3 days.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
For what it's worth, I've got 146 hours and counting in OR and that's not even including the hours I've spent resetting for various legendaries. I've still got Entei, Suicune, Heatran, Palkia, Giratina, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Virizion, Terrakion, Tornadus, Landorus, Reshiram and Kyurem to reset for as well. I'm not going to sit here and complain about a lack of Battle Frontier (as amazing as it would have been to have one) and accuse Game Freak of being lazy here when I've already put this much time into the game without it. "This is a step backwards" or whatever isn't something I'm buying, the lack of a Battle Frontier really does not deserve to be this big of a deal. No matter how cool it would have been to have one.

I mean I don't care who you are but a 70 win streak to fight Anabel Round 2 was stupid and nobody should be finding that fun.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
For what it's worth, I've got 146 hours and counting in OR and that's not even including the hours I've spent resetting for various legendaries. I've still got Entei, Suicune, Heatran, Palkia, Giratina, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Virizion, Terrakion, Tornadus, Landorus, Reshiram and Kyurem to reset for as well. I'm not going to sit here and complain about a lack of Battle Frontier (as amazing as it would have been to have one) and accuse Game Freak of being lazy here when I've already put this much time into the game without it. "This is a step backwards" or whatever isn't something I'm buying, the lack of a Battle Frontier really does not deserve to be this big of a deal. No matter how cool it would have been to have one.

I mean I don't care who you are but a 70 win streak to fight Anabel Round 2 was stupid and nobody should be finding that fun.

I suppose i see where youre coming from in people making it too big of a deal...but it really would have been such a big time waster for me.

I was really looking forward to getting my revenge on the frontier i just couldn't beat as a child, playing through them again with an actual team would have given me so many hours of play time...

Clothing as well.

Dressing up and battles were like my favorite things to do, and hhaving battles covered with noglastic revenge and spin on them i haven't seen since 3rd gen would have kept me busy for just that much longer.

(Just venting really, I did rly kind of want that.)

Edit: oh my god phone, type correctly damnit qq

Edit#2: oh, my play time is 40:20

...and iI've only beaten the e4 a few hours earlier.

I really think you're rushing mate. Slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Whether or not it's a "big deal," it's still a disappointment nonetheless. Not just in the sense that we lost the Battle Frontier, but also that it may mean that we don't get facilities like it in future games if they really don't intend to make them under the idea that "it's too time consuming." Ultimately, we may've permanently lost a feature that many loved and provided a lot of hours to clock into the game, and that is a notable thing to lose. I don't know if it makes GF lazy for doing it, but the lack of a feature under that reasoning is still a criticism that can be placed at their feet.

As I've said before, that's in the eye of the beholder. Some people do find working towards fighting Anabel fun, just like someone can think getting the flags in the Secret Bases is completely tedious. It's all subjective, and we shouldn't be critical about what people find fun in these games.

Last edited:
Masuda has literally contradicted himself here by saying that once the main story finishes that the trainers should become more difficult and there should be new challenges for players to face,
yet he says that the Frontier is not included because it is too challenging lol wut, Masuda logic right there.

Xuxuba

The problem isn't the lack of the BF, but the lack of a good postgame facility in general that compensates the fact that most battles you'll have through the game are going to be against underleveled pokemons with no items and no evs (which is only aggraveted by the terrible AI). Every battle facility will be boring if they don't make each type of battle unique, because you'll spend a lot of time doing the same thing over and over again. Maison's battles are not unique, they always repeat the same pokemons and the only thing that changes between each type of battle is the amount of pokemons you use.
I was not going to call GF lazy, but after seeing them copy pasting amie (without even changing the minigames), the super training, the Maison and after removing the customization and bf from the series, that's exactly what i'm going to call them.
Anyway like Bolt i think im going to take a time from the series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.