• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Expectations & Desires? [Not a speculation thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
I don't think it really counts as GF adding in an Emerald feature when they included four sets of Starters to OR/AS in general; they probably did so simply so that all Starters would be available in Gen 6, not necessarily because they wanted to add a parallel to Emerald. :x

The reason Game Freak is so keen on adding all of these starters and legendary pokemon is so they can be VGC/Rated battle league in case no one owned any of the previous games. Any other coloration for it being related to emerald is just a coincidence.
As for the next two games, also known as ID 28 and 29, the only thing I know for sure is that those are the last generation 6 games which uses the vgc/rated pentagon mark.

Last edited:

BurningWhiteKyurem

So there was an interview posted where Masuda discusses why the Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS.

Interview: http://www.pokemonmillennium.net/articoli/1345/intervista-eslusiva-junichi-masuda-e-shigeru-ohmori-cisvelano-alcune-curiosita-su-pokemon-rubino-omega-e-zaffiro-alpha/
Translation: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2olg6s/interview_with_junichi_masuada_reasoning_behind/cmo8u8g

So that confirms it, no Battle Frontier DLC and it's probably not going to be in the next game, it's just a reference to Emerald. Did I mention how much I don't like Game Freak's mindset? They keep insisting on the idea that their fans don't have time for video games and yet the casual audience has no interest in the 3DS. They make the game more accessible to kids and yet they unnecessarily turn off their older audience. They keep removing features at the drop of a hat and come up with the most nonsensical excuses for why they were removed. This entire series is becoming stripped down nonsense. I think I'm going to take a break from this series for a while, I can't put up with this BS anymore.

Looks like I made a good choice in refusing to buy this game. Emerald GBA cart is good enough for me.

More onto the point, this makes no sense considering that the same casual people they're pandering too found Hoenn's water routes too tedious. Not to mention, the Battle Maison alone invalidates this comment, considering the AI Hax, and the overall difficulty in trying to nab every single challenge (especially in the higher difficulties). This sounds like nonsense.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Looks like I made a good choice in refusing to buy this game. Emerald GBA cart is good enough for me.

That's great. Doing the opposite was good enough for no shortage of other people. Let us work as a people to put an end to this trend of announcing to the world that someone didn't buy the game, like would-be writers who make sure everyone sees them typing away on their laptops at Starbucks.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
More onto the point, this makes no sense considering that the same casual people they're pandering too found Hoenn's water routes too tedious. Not to mention, the Battle Maison alone invalidates this comment, considering the AI Hax, and the overall difficulty in trying to nab every single challenge (especially in the higher difficulties). This sounds like nonsense.

while I agree with the battle mansion, they took measures to decrease the water route frustration. faster surf speed, fly areas on every route, lower encounter rates, more varied trainers due to surfing trainers, etc.

BurningWhiteKyurem

while I agree with the battle mansion, they took measures to decrease the water route frustration. faster surf speed, fly areas on every route, lower encounter rates, more varied trainers due to surfing trainers, etc.

They may have taken measures to decrease the frustration, but it seems like some people who are unfamiliar with RSE are still having problems with water travelling in ORAS (and then there's the stuff like monotonous Pokemon distribution still being there. It's Gen VI and we're still seeing only Tentacools and Wingulls/Pellipers in the sea...? Come on, you can do better GF). Also, flight isn't exactly a measure considering that you still have to go through with travelling on sea at least once.

Stuff like that is why I can't take Masuda seriously when he claims that ORAS was designed with streamlined processes and simplification in mind.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
if ORAS is supposed to be streamlined and simplified, why is there more compulsory dialogue and lore in it

isn't that, like, the opposite?

Xuxuba

Let us work as a people to put an end to this trend of announcing to the world that someone didn't buy the game, like would-be writers who make sure everyone sees them typing away on their laptops at Starbucks.

No, that's exactly what someone who disliked GF's decisions should be doing. Every company needs feedback. I'm sure GF wouldn't go butthurt over valid criticism, unlike some ORAS stans.

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
They may have taken measures to decrease the frustration, but it seems like some people who are unfamiliar with RSE are still having problems with water travelling in ORAS (and then there's the stuff like monotonous Pokemon distribution still being there. It's Gen VI and we're still seeing only Tentacools and Wingulls/Pellipers in the sea...? Come on, you can do better GF). Also, flight isn't exactly a measure considering that you still have to go through with travelling on sea at least once.
if you get disturbed by the routes being "tedious" the first time, even when you're shown you can fly to water routes previously if you just get to the next town, then I dont know what to say. Whats tedious is going back through them, not the first time, especially not the first time through ORAS. (really, if you're that bothered by it, grab three repels and avoid the trainers while traveling to pacificlog town. If you do it correctly it shouldn't take you anymore then 2 minutes if you've already reached route 130 and manage to avoid all the trainers with their rather... delayed reaction time. Water trainers are slow.)

EDIT: even if you dont want to carry fly, you have the eon flute after the groudon event which gets you there friggen quickly. Also flying on latios/latias is fun. A lot of fun. (bias at the end)

I agree with the pokemon distribution though, I never said that wasn't a problem. this could have been fixed with a few pokemon added from the national dex but eh.

Last edited:

Haar

Humble Soldier
I was hoping for the endgame to be a bit stronger than XY... There's the Delta Episode, sure, but I was hoping for at least an area with level 55-ish wild encounters, and I'd have preferred if Battle Resort had another Friend Safari, over another Daycare. I really don't care much for those "set level/ruleset winstreak" places like Maison, Tower, Subway, or whatnot... Which is why I liked Frontier with its Pyramid and Pike in particular. Maison gets boring fast, your reward is a function limited to certain moves and items, and oh let's not forget the same six trainers outside that you can only battle once a day.

*Sigh* I mostly just wanted to battle higher level wild mobs...

Haar

Humble Soldier
It's a good thing this exists, then. Secret Bases are a godsend for EXP, even if it's only once per day.

Ooo, thank ya.
I didn't so much mean for the EXP (I normally go to the E4 for that), as much as for the thrill (And of course Battle Resort could have had tall grass SOMEWHERE), but more EXP was certainly a bonus. I feel that the Dexnav diminished the role of Sweet Scent/Honey because it's more efficient for finding hold items (precision vs sheer numbers) and, by association, multi-target attacks like Dazzling Gleam and Razor Leaf lose utility outside Double/Triple battles.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
How is lore and dialogue relevant to gameplay mechanics? That's a completely different thing.

if the main objective is to make the game less tedious to play and involve more player action more easily, isn't putting more unskippable dialogue and lengthy cutscenes hindering that

regardless of whether you're talking about gameplay or story, if the stated problem is that people aren't devoting as much time to a single vidya as before, maybe the padding in terms of your plot is a potential reason why people don't want to bother? it's not like you can choose to get the gameplay without the storyline, since you can't skip dialogue, meaning they don't have a choice but to account for that

Last edited:

BurningWhiteKyurem

if you get disturbed by the routes being "tedious" the first time, even when you're shown you can fly to water routes previously if you just get to the next town, then I dont know what to say. Whats tedious is going back through them, not the first time, especially not the first time through ORAS. (really, if you're that bothered by it, grab three repels and avoid the trainers while traveling to pacificlog town. If you do it correctly it shouldn't take you anymore then 2 minutes if you've already reached route 130 and manage to avoid all the trainers with their rather... delayed reaction time. Water trainers are slow.)

EDIT: even if you dont want to carry fly, you have the eon flute after the groudon event which gets you there friggen quickly. Also flying on latios/latias is fun. A lot of fun. (bias at the end)

I agree with the pokemon distribution though, I never said that wasn't a problem. this could have been fixed with a few pokemon added from the national dex but eh.

Why are you only looking at what happens after you pass through the route? (IIRC, Flight is not accessible unless you have Soar. And even then, that's a postgame feature) That's irrelevant. Of course, it's not going to be tedious once you've got access to things that make traversing through Hoenn easier. Also, repels are a lazy answer considering that it only acts a band-aid and the issues don't disappear. That being said, the flaw is that they are tedious to explore for the first time. Because the area is so vast and a bit difficult to distinguish (aside from the Route pop-up), it's easy to get lost trying to navigate your way to the next destination. On top of that, even the explorative type is bound to get tired of exploring when they come across the same Pokemon over and over again. I'm not the kind that complains about water routes, but I can understand where people are coming from when they find them tedious and boring.

if the main objective is to make the game less tedious to play and involve more player action more easily, isn't putting more unskippable dialogue and lengthy cutscenes hindering that

regardless of whether you're talking about gameplay or story, if the stated problem is that people aren't devoting as much time to a single vidya as before, maybe the padding in terms of your plot is a potential reason why people don't want to bother? it's not like you can choose to get the gameplay without the storyline, since you can't skip dialogue, meaning they don't have a choice but to account for that

That doesn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. These same people you mention could be the type of gamers where they're looking to play for the story and are uninterested in what comes after the main campaign (which isn't to say there aren't the types that hate unskippable cutscenes). Which is exactly my point. You can't compare between paddling time through postgame features and through plot. And since that was the case, then clearly GameFreak has chosen to answer the issue of people not devoting their time to a single game by cutting the postgame content.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Why are you only looking at what happens after you pass through the route? (IIRC, Flight is not accessible unless you have Soar. And even then, that's a postgame feature) That's irrelevant. Of course, it's not going to be tedious once you've got access to things that make traversing through Hoenn easier. Also, repels are a lazy answer considering that it only acts a band-aid and the issues don't disappear. That being said, the flaw is that they are tedious to explore for the first time. Because the area is so vast and a bit difficult to distinguish (aside from the Route pop-up), it's easy to get lost trying to navigate your way to the next destination. On top of that, even the explorative type is bound to get tired of exploring when they come across the same Pokemon over and over again. I'm not the kind that complains about water routes, but I can understand where people are coming from when they find them tedious and boring.
flight is accessible as soon as you get to the next town. Confirmed once you play the game, as you have access to the top water routes once you get to mossdeep. (at least thats how I got access, same thing with pacificlog)

this means spending all of 5 minutes skipping the trainers+two-three repels makes it so you can get to specific points of the route whenever you want.

they are not that tedious, they really aren't. Unless you're trying to explore the entire area the first time, and even then the encounter rates have decreased. (I only mentioned repels for the sake of getting flying spots easier)

you get to see the entire area mapped out on the bottom screen thanks to the area nav, making it much easier to navigate. It's like a GPS, following your every move on the route. This is why you need to play the game.

I already agreed with pokemon diversity.

EDIT: sorry if I seem overly aggressive, I just get kinda angsty when people don't look up stuff and try to justify criticism with said lack of knowledge. I mean, come on, the area nav was one of the main new features. You don't even need to play the game for that, just watch videos zzz

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
That doesn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. These same people you mention could be the type of gamers where they're looking to play for the story

Those kinds of people play Pokemon?

Which is exactly my point. You can't compare between paddling time through postgame features and through plot. And since that was the case, then clearly GameFreak has chosen to answer the issue of people not devoting their time to a single game by cutting the postgame content.

Doesn't that conflict with trying to challenge the people who can clear the main story? Post-game content is usually optional (the Delta Episode isn't because it needs to be cleared to unlock the Battle Resort, but the Resort itself is optional).

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
I think there definitely needs to be one more Gen 6 title. The way I see it they'll skip 2015 and release it in early 2016. 2016 is Pokémon's 20th anniversary by the way. After that I can see Gen 7 n 2017 (preferably late) on Nintendo's next handheld. I don't want Gen 7 on the 3DS.

I think that we'll get Z or whatever it is in 2015 for sure. They've had a good momentum releasing something every year, so I think they'll keep it up to finish up the Gen. I could see them launching a new Gen for the 20th anniversary, but I agree that I hope it's not on the 3DS... So maybe it will be more like 2017.

Personally I hope they don't keep up the remakes, or they at least reimagine them... I could be wrong but I don't think people would be as excited to go back to Sinnoh or Unova as they would be the first three Gens. Unless the games were set 20 years in the future or something, and everything was different. Actually if they even did that for a combined Kanto/Johto game, that would be epic!

BCVM22

I could be wrong but I don't think people would be as excited to go back to Sinnoh or Unova as they would be the first three Gens.

That's a bias. Sinnoh will be ten years old in 2016, believe it or not. There are people out there for whom Diamond/Pearl were their first Pokémon games, just like there are people for whom Ruby/Sapphire were their first.

DasManiac

I think that we'll get Z or whatever it is in 2015 for sure. They've had a good momentum releasing something every year, so I think they'll keep it up to finish up the Gen. I could see them launching a new Gen for the 20th anniversary, but I agree that I hope it's not on the 3DS... So maybe it will be more like 2017.

Personally I hope they don't keep up the remakes, or they at least reimagine them... I could be wrong but I don't think people would be as excited to go back to Sinnoh or Unova as they would be the first three Gens. Unless the games were set 20 years in the future or something, and everything was different. Actually if they even did that for a combined Kanto/Johto game, that would be epic!

The new movie confirms there's no new game in 2015. If there was then the movie would promote it. Movie 18 is focusing on OR/AS instead. I agree that no more remakes should happen. Game Freak has had three chances and have not made a good one yet. I'd only buy sequels.

Orithan

Don't kill me for it, but this is my opinion on the matter:
ORAS is far from a lazy cash in and is a good remake unlike the highly overrated HGSS. GF took common complaints that people had with RSE and improved on them.
One such complaint is the water routes - GF made them better by making encounters there pretty much optional. Unless the RNG hates you, you will randomly encounter maybe 1 or 2 pokemon at the most in any given water route as you pass through and you can still grind on say Pelipper through the usage of DexNav. This is without Repels, mind you.
I'm not sure if it was common, but it would have most definitely been a big complaint - Mauvile City. Looking at the map from the original games, Mauvile was an incredibly plain and uninspired city. GF poured a lot of time into completely rebuilding it from the ground up to become Hoenn's signature city, far more than the few scattered buildings it was before.
There are a lot of other improvements on the games like May/Brendan's prompts to autotravel to towns at certain points before you get Fly, being able to specifically pick out which pokemon to encounter, having free directional movement when not inside buildings and expanded Secret Bases. To simply call them lazy remakes at this point, especially when it is over stuff like having no Battle Frontier, is bogus. BF probably wasn't popular enough in the wider audience for GF to pour what is likely to be a lot of time and money into remaking and it would have probably been subject to the same cheap team selection process that the Maison has if it was included. Copy-pasting Amie and Super Training apps was admittedly a disappointment, but the changes would have merely been cosmetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.