• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OMG! You've never watched-?

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Ever been speaking to fellow anime fans, and had this reaction when you mentioned your lack of knowledge about a particular series? Ever had your friends try to shove one anime (usually the "classics") down your throat until you make a personal oath to yourself that you will never, ever watch it?

I get stunned looks all the time when I tell people that I

A) haven't seen any of the GITS movies or TV series

B) Haven't, and have no desire to, watch FMA Brotherhood

Everyone used to tell me to watch Haruhi Suzumiya - that it was an anime I had to watch before I died. I resisted for years, and then finally crumbled. It was pretty bloody good, actually...

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Dragonball Z for the most part for me. As I kid I just never bothered watching it and when I tried to watch it the show would be a couple hundred episodes in and I wouldn't know what was going on. It's okay now though, I know the basics of the universe and it's characters etc. plus I watch the Abridged series to find out more/be comedically entertained.

I resisted for years, and then finally crumbled. It was pretty bloody good, actually...

At first I was going to dismiss this thread as just another person whining about their real life friends. Though since you said that you were reluctant to watch a show at first and then found it to be worthwhile in the end I've got some more respect for you. :]

When one of my friends gives me a recommendation I usually will watch that show after I'm done watching whatever it is that I'm currently watching. If it's something that I have no interest in then I'll tell them that and give my reasons why.

Most of the time though I'm usually the one recommending things to them. When I recommend an anime it's because I think the person will enjoy that show like I did. Plus it's always fun to have someone to talk to about a show that was good.

Cobalt_Latios

I've been recommended stuff all the time; I just never bother to think, "hmm, maybe I should actually watch it." I don't think it's ever happened.

@Charizard Champion: I could never watch DBZ, simply because things dragged on for so damn long. I'll admit, I have tried to watch it a few times... then I simply just, gave up.

In fact, I have this laundry list of animes I should try watching, as well as some that I still have to finish; hence the majority of the reasons why I hardly ever decide to go with some recommendations.

That, and I'm into comedy. And most of the time, the shows that do have lots of this are the really, "odd" ones.

C_L

uniquetrainer

Rock the casbah!
I find it hard to find the time and money to watch anime im already into. I have limited internet access so i cant exactly watch online, but i prefer owning anyways.

Generally, if someone reccommends an anime ill watch it. Thats how i found out i loved Bleach. I cant stand DBZ though. I recognize it for what it was; a leader in the anime revolution, but outside that i think its kinda.... Crap. I would be interested in watching the new series that doesnt have the filler, I think its called Kai, but i have other stuff on my list... Alot of other stuff...

Vernikova

Champion
I have never watched Lucky Star, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, or Clannad. There are other serie like Naruto, Ghost in the Shell, and One Piece where I didn't watch more than ten episodes ofr one reason or another.

The Tail

I've never seen; Lucky Star, K-on!, Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, or Sailor Moon.
Never bothered to watch them/wasn't interested.

ForeverFlame

Most of the time people suggest those series because they're actually good. I was introduced to Death Note, Darker Than Black, and Eden of the East that way, and they were all stunning.

The thing was, I watched all of them after the hype had died down. I definitely recommend that you at least try to watch Brotherhood one day, but do it one rainy Sunday afternoon when you have nothing better to do.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've never bothered to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Ghost in the Shell, or Fruits Basket. I had planned on watching them over the summer, but I just couldn't find the time to watch them. It didn't help that I tend to procrastinate, either. I've heard that all four of those anime are pretty good, but I just didn't pick them up when they were at their peak of popularity, so I've kind of decided to drop them off my "Anime that I need to watch" list.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Never watched Cowboy Beebop, Speed Racer, Gundam Wing, Clannad, Vampire Knight, K-on! or FLCL.

Chris

Old Coot
Dragonball Z for the most part for me. As I kid I just never bothered watching it and when I tried to watch it the show would be a couple hundred episodes in and I wouldn't know what was going on. It's okay now though, I know the basics of the universe and it's characters etc. plus I watch the Abridged series to find out more/be comedically entertained.

@Charizard Champion: I could never watch DBZ, simply because things dragged on for so damn long. I'll admit, I have tried to watch it a few times... then I simply just, gave up.
Sounds like Dragon Ball Kai is right for you guys, since it cuts down on a good chunk of the filler and gets straight to the point.

Generally, if someone reccommends an anime ill watch it. Thats how i found out i loved Bleach. I cant stand DBZ though. I recognize it for what it was; a leader in the anime revolution, but outside that i think its kinda.... Crap. I would be interested in watching the new series that doesnt have the filler, I think its called Kai, but i have other stuff on my list... Alot of other stuff...
...You love Bleach but hate Dragon Ball Z?

How the HELL is that even possible? If anything, Bleach is one of the worst shonen series' out there right now.

Cobalt_Latios

Sounds like Dragon Ball Kai is right for you guys, since it cuts down on a good chunk of the filler and gets straight to the point.
Yeah, I heard of that. That one is on my "to watch" list, as it may actually make the show more enjoyable for me.

/CL

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I've actually been anti-suggested some stuff from people I know. K-On! and Ouran to be exact. My first friend told me NOT to watch Ouran, and I did anyways and laughed my *** off. Someone else I know told me I shouldn't watch K-On! I haven't yet but I'll show her!

As crazy as this sounds if I ever do watch it I'll probably go for the original anyways, just to see exactly what I was missing out on back in the 90s, the bad and the good.

._.

And now I've just realized it's no longer the 90s or the "00s". Excuse me while I go crawl into a corner.

Chris

Old Coot
OPINIONS. Plus Dragon Ball Z Kai, Fairy Tail, Naruto and Beelzebub are all currently airing shonen series that are much worse than Bleach...in my opinion.
Naruto's understandable but good god, the other titles you mentioned leave me completely baffled.

Bleach's plot consists of nothing but repeating arcs, filler, Aizen trolling and Ichigo cheating death constantly with a Super Saiyan transformation. Kubo is an excellent artist, but a horrible writer.

I've actually been anti-suggested some stuff from people I know. K-On! and Ouran to be exact. My first friend told me NOT to watch Ouran, and I did anyways and laughed my *** off. Someone else I know told me I shouldn't watch K-On! I haven't yet but I'll show her!
Avoid it. K-ON! is what pushed this horrible "moeblob" crap with anime these days. There are far better slice-of-life shows.

Last edited:

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Naruto's understandable but good god, the other titles you mentioned leave me completely baffled.

Everything that's wrong with Bleach is wrong in the other titles but to an even larger degree (except DBZ and Naruto, but I don't think they're great for other reasons).

Especially Fairy Tail - it is the single worst shonen series I think has ever been made. The plot is basic and goes nowhere. The art is horrible - it copies Oda's style and yet fails to pull it off. The characters are retards who fight for no reason, have pointless backstory, have horrible character designs and annoying personalities. The villains are even worse - if they DO have backstory the protagonists ignore them and punch them in the face and say something like "Who cares? You're an enemy of Fairy Tail, so I hate you!" which is crap writing and just sets up a situation where the reader/watcher couldn't give a crap for the fighting. [/RANT]

Avoid it. K-ON! is what pushed this horrible "moeblob" crap with anime these days. There are far better slice-of-life shows.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the cast of K-ON! high school graduates? I would hardly call them moeblobs.

~Silver Aura~

Back...ish
I don't really watch much anime Apart from Pokemon (depending whether you count it as an anime) and Dragonball Z I actully prefer the original to Kai don't ask why lol. I've also watched The Law of Ueki which was quite enjoyable and funny lol. But everything else I don't really bother with I'm not a huge fan of dark themes or violence. (DBZ being a HUGE exception)

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the cast of K-ON! high school graduates? I would hardly call them moeblobs.

In the first series at least, they're in high school. And they are arguably very moeblob-ish. I have to admit that, even though I did really enjoy K-on =3 I wouldn't really go around screaming about it at cons and telling everyone they *must* watch it, though. It was sweet and kinda funny, but it ain't no Cowboy Bebop.

Then again, to be fair, it was never trying to be Cowboy Bebop. It's just a cute, silly, innocent little show about a group of cute high school girls in a band. That's pretty much it. The best thing about it was the animation, and if you're dying to see that, just go to Youtube and watch an amv of it.