• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Besides the fact that we’ve seen her in the opening, as a kid, and now here, and each time she was acting the exact same throughout, I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the gist of her character and how it will be for the most part.
Pure nonsense.

Character development suddenly doesn't exist? Serena is just a girl who escaped her house to chase after a boy she likes, and that's all she ever amounted to? (a judgment someone would make about Serena based on just one episode, like you did with Koharu)

Please.

game3524

Anyway, I love the fact that Koharu is a bit of a party pooper. The main cast (Ash, Go, Sakuragi, the two assistants) are all obsessed with Pokemon, so having a character who is more grounded and less enthusiastic is good and can provide an interesting dynamic with everyone else. It also can lead to meaningful character development down the line (which I suspect will happen given the OP).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pure nonsense.

Character development suddenly doesn't exist? Serena is just a girl who escaped her house to chase after a boy she likes, and that's all she ever amounted to? (a judgment someone would make about Serena based on just one episode, like you did with Koharu)

Please.
I wouldn't use Serena since she's not really the best example of this, maybe May or Lillie would have been a better example imo.

Anyway was there any continuity to the past series besides the badge/trophy collection?

nuzamaki90

Yes, because characters don't develop over time.

Also, she wasn't annoyed without any real reason (she was annoyed with Go for being late) and she wasn't really annoyed with Ash, just indifferent.
Yes but for now shes not off to a great start. In terms of first impressions she’s on the lowest end for me when it comes to Pokegirls. There is nothing about her that we’ve seen so far, whether it be through promo media, the actual episodes, or the opening, that makes me want to see more of her character lol. And we are only on episode 2 of this new series, yikes.
Pure nonsense.

Please.

Uhh these examples you used doesn’t add up. Serena started off the series being awoken by her mother and Fletchling, already diving into her bratty dynamic she has with her mom, and then led off with that with Rhyhorn racing training which she disliked, and watching Ash save Garchomp which led to her initial inspiration for wanting to travel. The opening showed tidbits of her character too what with her focus on fashion.

In the same span of time and sources, all Koharu has showed us about her character is that she’s slightly annoyed by Ash, Gou and Sakuragi’s research on Pokémon and she goes to a proper school. That’s all we’ve gotten because that’s all they’ve introduced her with. So yes, Serena’s initial story and character is far more interesting.

You guys are going on about character development and all that when that stuff happens way down the line. We are talking the here and now, and you’re acting as if you can’t judge a character off of their debut. Why do I have to wait until when Koharu’s character MIGHT change instead of now, the way it currently is? She might grow on me, she might not, that’s all up in the air, but for right now, from what we have actually seen, I don’t like her.

game3524

Yes but for now shes not off to a great start. In terms of first impressions she’s on the lowest end for me when it comes to Pokegirls. There is nothing about her that we’ve seen so far, whether it be through promo media, the actual episodes, or the opening, that makes me want to see more of her character lol. And we are only on episode 2 of this new series, yikes.

I disagree, I think she is off to a good start and I am really looking forward to her interactions with Ash, since their personalities are set up to clash.

TwoThirds

What's occurin?
The opening doesn't indicate how the rest of the show will be, the first episode was pretty much a prequel, and this episode is kickstarting the real story, so they don't indicate how Koharu's character will be for the rest of the series. Not to mention the fact that we barely know anything about her.

Forgive me if I'm being rude, but I think you're being much too pre-emptive. If you go in with this mindset, you probably won't like Koharu whether she grows as a character or not.

Got to agree... it's like when May said she doesn't like Pokemon, did that mean she never did end up warming to them? No she quickly got over that. Same with Dawn being over confident, she got knocked down a peg or two and found the right balance. This new girl will grow as a character so I wouldn't write her off just yet.

nuzamaki90

I disagree, I think she is off to a good start and I am really looking forward to her interactions with Ash, since their personalities are set up to clash.
And that’s perfectly fine. Differing opinions is a good thing. If we see more of her character in the next few episodes that isn’t just her being a stick in the mud, I’ll be pleasantly surprise.

But her not being excited about Gou riding a Lugia is crazy. It’s appearance alone pretty much took away everyone else’s attention. I’m actually surprised Sakuragi wasn’t mad that it basically canceled his opening ceremonies shortly after it started

Remix2

The other tiny bit of intrigue was Koharu refusing to talk to Ash. She left him frazzled on the stairs and then looked mildly alarmed when he spoke to her. Yamper dislikes him already (because Ash got a little too close), so perhaps there's some mistrust there. Probably because Ash is going to steal Gou from her or something. I expect this will be addressed next episode.

calling it now, she going to develop feeling for ash at the end of her character arc lol.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
calling it now, she going to develop feeling for ash at the end of her character arc lol.
Ash still up to his oblivious woman-stealing tactics, I see.

DatsRight

I think I'll save my final opinions for her until very late into the series. If it's anything like SM it could be very unpredictable in its character handling (I was pretty certain we'd seen all we would of Mallow by the end of Ultra Adventures, but the final season really pulled a curveball with that).

Xuxuba

I believe she will be mainly side eyeing him for the rest of the series. A bit like Iris but without the petty arguments, since Koharu seems like she got no time for that.

Talking about Iris, so far this series is reminding me a bit of BW before it went downhill, which is not that bad of a thing if we take into account the beginning really wasn't that awful (aside from Pikachu being defeated by Snivy, that is).

I can already see some similarities such as Ash spotting a legendary in the sky while Pikachu gets hit by said legendary, Ash meeting someone as stubborn and reckless as him and butting heads with that person as soon as they meet and etc...

I don't think it will become anything like the past series though, since this format of traveling around all of the past regions has never been done before, especially not the last one which really didn't focus in the traveling aspect.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Sidestepping Ash and avoiding him on the stairs was pretty brutal all things considered.

Reactions: i2i

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
On a non-Koharu note, I think my favorite scene from this episode was when Ash and Go were on Lugia's back -- and not just because the idea of flying around on a Lugia is awesome. I like it because it showcased Ash and Go's separate attitudes towards Pokemon perfectly.

Throughout the entire scene, Ash is getting up close and personal with the Pokemon he encounters -- hugging the spines of Lugia's back, reaching out to touch the Fearow, and even getting kisses from the Horsea. Go, on the other hand, analyzes all the Pokemon he sees on a scientific level, demonstrating his vast knowledge and recording data on everything he sees.

They dynamic between these two characters is shaping up to be interesting -- perhaps even the greatest aspect of this new series. I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Incidentally, on the topic of Satoshi hearing Lugia's voice, you can actually hear a voice going "iku zo" at that point. It's faint, but it is there.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
And glad that they showed us that Ash hasn't been properly reset (with his badges/trophies shown).

I'm glad you said that, because when I looked at the "On Lugia They Go Ash and Go" episode pictures just now, I was sure this was a 100% reset. I assumed that the flashback in the first episode where Pikachu was born as Pichu and joins Ash was going to have a more clear "division" line establishing that as a flashback, and then returning to the present reality. But now that I'm seeing the episode 2 pictures showing Ash waking up in bed with the hallmark details from the flashback & original pilot episode like the Pidgey Pokeball clock, Dodrio, and Zubat mobile -- it highly suggests that episode 2's events are directly continuous after Ash obtains Pikachu, as if this is a full reset. It's kind of like the writers are blurring the line and offering the audience their own interpretation of how the timeline works.

Also I find it super ironic that the first legendary they're featuring is Lugia which is completely unobtainable in Sword & Shield not to mention all the unobtainable Pokemon featured in this episode. I remember when I was a kid, the joys of watching the anime were that if I saw a Pokemon in the show I thought was cool I could find it on my Gameboy. Not sure if every kid enjoys this same crossover synergy as I did, but I'd imagine some of them might get disappointed. The amount of Pokemon featured in this episode that are unobtainable is laughable -- Dodrio, Psyduck, the Horsea line, Pidgey line, Garchomp, Fearow x 12, the Tentacool line, Dewgong. Of all the generation of games for the anime to choose to feature the entire world of Pokemon, Sword and Shield is the most head scratching choice

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Honestly, both episodes are meh so far. Maybe that's a sign that I will like it after 20 episodes or so because I liked first 20 episodes of SM and later they became meh and worse that I stopped caring.