1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

Discussion in 'Pokémon (2019)' started by Serebii, Nov 24, 2019.

1. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

I liked it better than the Sun and Moon premiere, I laughed a lot more and like Go's personality and the fun dynamics he will have with Ash. I watched the sub version and am weirded out by the Pokemon's names, I'm used to the dub version LOL. I hope Ash can explain his adventures with Mew and Mewtwo as time goes on, it'd be a little odd if he didn't. New girl, what to make of her? I'm not really a fan of her giving Ash the cold shoulder act but hopefully she warms up to him soon, I'd LOL if she got a crush on him after her so called character arc. I like this new professor too, he seems fun and corky.

I don't like how Ash's mom keeps sticking by him, I miss Ash being away and traveling on his own with new friends * sigh* And wouldn't you know it, one of my least favorite Pokemon gets to travel along with them great. Is it me or do Ash's mom and Oak seem like a married couple these days?

Over all, fun start. Looking forward to now things move on, I hope Ash can talk a bit more about his past adventures.

Leonhart likes this.
  2. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

The dub OST succeeds where the JP music of SM (and also XY) failed, too.

However, you are 100% correct about Hayashi's music also achieving that. Who cares if it's similar to MHA?

As I said before, the dub music for this new saga has formidable competition now. I can see myself conceding that they're both good in their own ways (the mindset I've been wanting to have all along about the entire show).

As for people's problems with Hayashi's Pokemon music...it's really best I don't answer that here.

SceptileTheBanana likes this.
  3. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Main problem with the music is that it's not memorable or recognizable

SM's shortcomings with its music is that it didn't use enough of its own and reused a lot of tracks from XY

Not to mention the single best Elite Four remix only showed up in a Filler arc, and Guzma’s themes were nowhere to be heard

Arroz Nero likes this.
  4. Kazuniya

Kazuniya me when recognizing PM's wasted potential

It was a solid premiere. All of the scenes involving Lugia were amazing and I loved the raid battle, I thought it looked fantastic (as short as it was). I kinda felt like Ash and Go bonded too quickly (maybe it's just my imagination) and that the whole plot of them helping out the professor was established in a rushed manner, I think I would have personally preferred it if they had had a two-parter for the setup of this series instead of wasting an episode on a poorly written Pikachu backstory.

Go is a fun character, very expressive like Ash and I can already tell their fights will be fun to behold. Otherwise I don't have much to say about him, he's just as enthusiastic as Ash but in a totally different way.

Koharu, though, is not very fun, though solely based on the first episode there's stuff speculate about her character and motivations. Firstly, Koharu seems to be highly focused on her studies and doesn't seem to share the same passion for Pokemon that Go does. Go and Koharu are supposed to be childhood friends, and yet here we have a random stranger, Ash, bonding with Go to the point they're already sharing a room and traveling together. I wonder if this could play into Koharu's attitude towards Ash (jealousy/feeling ignored?), or if she's merely giving him a cold shoulder because she doesn't know him very well. In the manga, Koharu actually catches Ash rubbing his face against Yamper and she has this like suspicious face (it's a funny scene) and she just moves away from Ash. Well, in any case, the opening does indicate Koharu will eventually join them, so something will happen that will potentially trigger her interest.

So yeah, from the main cast, Koharu seems to have the most potential for development already, which I personally really like and makes me very interested in the character. I also like the concept of someone not falling in love with Ash immediately.

OTHER STUFF:
    • I really dug the designs for some of the raid battle trainers. They were far from generic, and it makes me wonder if they'll be reappearing in the future.
    • Lugia speaking to Ash was a nice touch, glad they kept that from the manga.
    • The whole Ash and Pikachu waking up sequence was adorable.

Yeah, I enjoyed it overall.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    FlygontheRavager likes this.
  5. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

People are used to Pokémon sounding a certain way and it now sounding different is obviously going to throw some people off. Though, much as I too have criticized the Alola League's ridiculous overuse of the Regi theme, that wasn't really on Miyazaki; That would have been a bunch of poor decisions made by the episode directors or whoever decides the music placement week to week. They had plenty of other battle themes they could have used instead. Yet for some reason they defaulted back to literally the most recent one every single week.

6. thedarkdragon11

thedarkdragon11 P4P Elite

About the scene with Ash's major awards table, I forgot where he got the trophy with a wing-like design... I know the other 3 are from Manalo Exhibition, Manalo Conference, and Orange League...

Also present are his badges from Hoenn up to Kalos, plus Battle Frontier plaque, and his Z-Power Ring... And then missing are his Indigo, Orange and Johto badges... Where are those? Those clearly aren't forgotten...

Where did he get the Poké Doll?

Not that I'm complaining, I liked that scene... I just need to be refreshed as there has to be a reason and for those which I forgot (4th trophy and Poké Doll)...

7. Kazuniya

[​IMG]

That's from the Indigo League

Orange League trophy is there, so there's really no need to showcase the badges of Orange League.

Dunno about Johto stuff.

8. Speared

Speared Member

He didn't have a badge case in OS and Johto, most likely they are still pinned to his old vest.

9. thedarkdragon11

thedarkdragon11 P4P Elite

Consolation for non-winning participants? I totally forgot that one...

Oh, that's probably the reason... Having an alternative case won't hurt them though...

10. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

So it was a good starting episode for the most part, still think the "lets all attack a legendary at once" thing is silly but whatevs, Lugia took them on a ride which is cool but we were inundated with legendaries for most of SM, so hopefully they focus on regular pokemon more this time, and ones that need more exposure. So far from future episodes, seems like we will be getting just mostly popular pokemon for now.

Go and Ash have total boyfriend vibes now also so there's that to be excited about since Go is cute and so is Ash.

11. OniCornwalis

OniCornwalis Active Member

There’s a couple of things I’d like to point out about this episode;

While Lugia destroyed Ash and Pikachu almost immediately, they were also the only ones that did any significant damage to Lugia, so take that for what you will.

Ash here looks like he’s SM Ash’s personality but toned down some, and with some of his trademark heroism and recklessness thrown in there. They recognize that he’s strong, but they don’t emphasize it nearly as much as much as previous series.

Go’s family has not been mentioned whatsoever, which makes me wonder how complicated his family life is and when it’s going to be brought up.

12. Sham

Sham Get better soon

So Go is definitely giving me Iris vibes especially his interactions with Ash. For the most part it seems like he picks the small little arguments they have but I'm glad they're making Ash "fight back" to not make it seem one sided. Koharu is interesting and I'm wondering why she's actively avoiding Ash (please do not let it be a crush writers I'm begging you)....maybe she's shy? Or she could be stuck up and have a superiority factor to her? The latter could be pretty interesting.

Anyway a few questions
    Where are Go's parents and are they just randomly okay with him living with the Professor? Where was he staying before?
    Why does Koharu wear her uniform outside of school?
    Will Go also be able to speak to Lugia in the future?
    Are they ever going to bring up how they almost went to camp together?

13. Tabasco Boshi

Tabasco Boshi ★★★★★

Does anybody know who voiced Lugia?

14. Kazuniya

That's an interesting idea. Actually, if you watch opening, during the segment where Go and Ash fall while running down the street, she makes a weird face and just walks away, it's like she doesn't care or she's looking down on them? Maybe she dislikes Go spending all his time with Ash? (that would be amusing)

Considering she's being voiced by freaking Kana Hanazawa, I'm expecting some big moments for her.

15. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

A whale.

The credits don't list his VA?

16. Sham

Sham Get better soon

Maybe? I can see it being a mixture of both. I hope she isn't reduced to a background character and has interesting moments. Hopefully she doesn't get flamed for being stuck up since to me at least it's an interesting characteristic granted she isn't obnoxious about it and slowly changes.

17. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Missed opportunity in not having an Alolan and Kalos trainer join in on the raid. Then all eight regions would have been covered.

I'm not that bothered with Koharu's cold attitude towards Ash so far. I mentioned in the speculation thread it would be interesting to have a companion who started out disliking Ash before warming up to him. I just hope it lasts for a few more episodes.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  18. Yce288

Yce288 Grass type FTW

There wasnt a proper introduction between Ash and Koharu not to mention she ignored him after Her Yamper electrified him so whatever you do, dont ship them together.
    Overall, a good episode and i wonder if Ash and Go finds out they almost met in a camp 4 years ago and that Go saw Ash's Pikachu as a Pichu.

19. SoundVoltex

SoundVoltex Well-Known Member

The soundtracks this episode have been some of the best I've ever heard in the Pokemon series. I really liked the musical direction with this episode.

Ryu Taylor likes this.
  20. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: We're in an island of fillers!

The music for the calm scenes remind me of the dub music but better
    The music for the action scenes though, it's EPIC

Twilight-Kun likes this.