• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1091.jpg

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go!

Ash & Pikachu are joining Professor Oak in visiting the opening of a new laboratory in Vermilion City run by Professor Sakuragi. When there, Ash learns that a Legendary Pokémon is soon to arrive at the port. Ash is eager and rushes to the port where many other trainers have gathered. Meanwhile, Go has also learned of the Legendary Pokémon and also intends to catch it. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

VoltTacklingPika

I'm digging the Ash/Gou dynamic already. They're peas in a pod, right down to the tendency of leaping off cliffs, but the episode did highlight a crucial difference which I think will play a part in how their dynamic develops. Gou loves Pokemon from an intellectual perspective. On Lugia, he's getting excited about the fins and texture of its skin. Whereas Ash, as we know, has a more instinctive, almost spiritual connection to them. In true Ash style, he can't articulate his feelings very well, but he was able to recognise Lugia's intentions just from its eyes. You could even see this during the scene when Lugia dives into the sea, as Ash is quicker than Gou to realise they're about to go into the water. This really impressed Sakuragi, and is likely why he invited Ash to be a research fellow along with Gou.

With that in mind, my early prediction is Gou may struggle to grasp this sort of thing. It would play nicely with the idea of him wanting to catch everything, in contrast to Ash catching fewer things but forming closer connections. I wonder if this will be a thing at all.

The other tiny bit of intrigue was Koharu refusing to talk to Ash. She left him frazzled on the stairs and then looked mildly alarmed when he spoke to her. Yamper dislikes him already (because Ash got a little too close), so perhaps there's some mistrust there. Probably because Ash is going to steal Gou from her or something. I expect this will be addressed next episode.

Other random take-aways:
  • With how many alarm clocks he seems to break, I bet Delia is secretly happy Ash goes adventuring all the time. She must be spending a fortune on those things.
  • The call-backs to old school Pokemon were plentiful. Ash oversleeping, the merchandise in his room, him running into a Snorlax in the middle of the city (nice Gold/Silver reference there), Lugia appearing in a big water spiral, and even Delia telling Ash to eat a healthy diet and change his underwear everyday (actually, not sure she said that last part, but the routine was the same).
  • Speaking of, Gou being all "yeah, leave it to me" when Delia asked him to look out for Ash was funny. Kid's gonna be a lady-killer.
  • Ash was eating a croquette sandwich. The guy loves his croquettes.
  • For a bunch of randos we probably won't see again, I appreciated how they went through some effort to make the trainers appear unique.
  • The opening scene of Ash and Pikachu had such adorable animation I thought I was still watching Sun and Moon for a moment.
  • The new OST really does give the show a fresh and different feel. Seems its taking some Gen 8 inspiration with the vocals/chanting, as well. And it used one of Sword/Shield's battle themes during the Lugia fight, which was cool, because those games have some tracks.
  • Ash is unmatched at freeloading. He's an expert.
Overall: I had a great time! I feel the Lugia scene was a taster of what the show wants to be. It's an adventure with wondrous sights to see, with plenty of jokes and fun to be had on the way. Gou had a strong first impression and I can already envision several ways his character can develop, and I'm glad him and Ash will interact exactly how I thought they would.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So last week, they deliberately wrote themselves out of the possibility of a Serena cameo, and in this one, Satoshi canonically having met Lugia before is not referenced at all (Could be a different Lugia?), so...
Odds that this series will be the continuity cavalcade us old-timers want: Drastically reduced.

Good episode apart from that though.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I'm curious as to what Ash said about Lugia that the Sakuragi found extremely interesting that even shocked Go.
Lugia spoke to Ash telepathically. I'm not sure how the episode handled it, but the manga adaptation of this episode had like a small panel where Lugia seems to speak to Ash telepathically.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked, the anime makes it less obvious, but it has Ash feeling something from Lugia. In the manga, Lugia gets a speech bubble.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
So last week, they deliberately wrote themselves out of the possibility of a Serena cameo, and in this one, Satoshi canonically having met Lugia before is not referenced at all (Could be a different Lugia?), so...
Odds that this series will be the continuity cavalcade us old-timers want: Drastically reduced.

Good episode apart from that though.

Really I think Ash met Serena the next year because he looks old in that then when he first went to camp

nuzamaki90

Huh seems like Ash is sticking with Mr. Mime for awhile. Maybe we'll get to see it battle and be used a bit.
An excuse for it to meet its tap dancing cousin and uncle a dozen episodes from now for sure

——-

anyways, episode was okay. The Kantomon sightseeing kind of dragged for a bit but I like what I saw otherwise. I like that Ash and Lugia’s connection was touched upon since he’s already met like 3 of them. Gou is pretty cool too and I like how Sakuragi has to play up the part of a serious Professor in front of Oak but in reality he’s just as excited and all over the place as Ash when it comes to Pokémon discoveries. I think I’m gonna like him a lot out of all the new characters.

but speaking of new OCs, lets just sweep Koharu back into whatever school she goes to and never bring her up again, yeah? Every party needs a pooper so apparently she got an invite but I think everyone would be cool with her not showing up anymore. Keep all that negativity in Alola, sis.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
but speaking of new OCs, lets just sweep Koharu back into whatever school she goes to and never bring her up again, yeah? Every party needs a pooper so apparently she got an invite but I think everyone would be cool with her not showing up anymore. Keep all that negativity in Alola, sis.

Or perhaps, we could wait for her to undergo some sort of character arc. I believe that if Koharu is handled right, she could be one of the most interesting female characters in the entire anime. If not, then...well, she won't be.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Love the episode. Go is turning out to be better than what I was expecting from him.

Also, the scene of him rejecting the Kanto starters is perfect. Way to Go! (pun intended)

The series is looking great!

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Maybe practice what you preach, sis? lmao

She has barely been introduced. No need to be so negative about her. Way too extreme.

nuzamaki90

Maybe practice what you preach, sis? lmao

She has barely been introduced. No need to be so negative about her. Way too extreme.
Besides the fact that we’ve seen her in the opening, as a kid, and now here, and each time she was acting the exact same throughout, I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the gist of her character and how it will be for the most part.

Being slightly annoyed at any and everything without any real reason as to why is kind of a weird way to introduce and portray a character in the first two episodes, no?

TwoThirds

What's occurin?
Thought it was a good first proper episode. And glad that they showed us that Ash hasn't been properly reset (with his badges/trophies shown). Liked Go more than I thought I would to be honest, and think this could be a very interesting saga :)

game3524

Besides the fact that we’ve seen her in the opening, as a kid, and now here, and each time she was acting the exact same throughout, I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the gist of her character and how it will be for the most part.

Being slightly annoyed at any and everything without any real reason as to why is kind of a weird way to introduce and portray a character in the first two episodes, no?

Yes, because characters don't develop over time.

Also, she wasn't annoyed without any real reason (she was annoyed with Go for being late) and she wasn't really annoyed with Ash, just indifferent.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

The opening doesn't indicate how the rest of the show will be, the first episode was pretty much a prequel, and this episode is kickstarting the real story, so they don't indicate how Koharu's character will be for the rest of the series. Not to mention the fact that we barely know anything about her.

Forgive me if I'm being rude, but I think you're being much too pre-emptive. If you go in with this mindset, you probably won't like Koharu whether she grows as a character or not.