• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

Red and Blue

On a side note Corviknight looks pretty darn cool animated. I need Ash to catch Rookidee as soon as possible

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Why does everybody forget Giselle?
Because as far as Ash's character goes, him being attracted to her amounted to a example of the "early installment weirdness" trope and thus ceased to apply later (like the white button on the pokedex that was supposed to enable Ash to switch out boxed pokemon but was never mentioned again).

Konja7

I'm glad you said that, because when I looked at the "On Lugia They Go Ash and Go" episode pictures just now, I was sure this was a 100% reset. I assumed that the flashback in the first episode where Pikachu was born as Pichu and joins Ash was going to have a more clear "division" line establishing that as a flashback, and then returning to the present reality. But now that I'm seeing the episode 2 pictures showing Ash waking up in bed with the hallmark details from the flashback & original pilot episode like the Pidgey Pokeball clock, Dodrio, and Zubat mobile -- it highly suggests that episode 2's events are directly continuous after Ash obtains Pikachu, as if this is a full reset. It's kind of like the writers are blurring the line and offering the audience their own interpretation of how the timeline works.

Also I find it super ironic that the first legendary they're featuring is Lugia which is completely unobtainable in Sword & Shield not to mention all the unobtainable Pokemon featured in this episode. I remember when I was a kid, the joys of watching the anime were that if I saw a Pokemon in the show I thought was cool I could find it on my Gameboy. Not sure if every kid enjoys this same crossover synergy as I did, but I'd imagine some of them might get disappointed. The amount of Pokemon featured in this episode that are unobtainable is laughable -- Dodrio, Psyduck, the Horsea line, Pidgey line, Garchomp, Fearow x 12, the Tentacool line, Dewgong. Of all the generation of games for the anime to choose to feature the entire world of Pokemon, Sword and Shield is the most head scratching choice

I think they want this season to promote the franchise in general.

After all, even if a Pokemon doesn't appear in SwSh, this Pokemon still could have a lot of merchandise to sell.

That's why we even have Raid Battles that are from Pokemon Go (SwSh has Max Raid Battles, but these work different).

brtnvm

Giselle best girl
Because as far as Ash's character goes, him being attracted to her amounted to a example of the "early installment weirdness" trope and thus ceased to apply later (like the white button on the pokedex that was supposed to enable Ash to switch out boxed pokemon but was never mentioned again).
That....sounds like a convenient way for people to deny canon events. I mean, Ash's affection for Giselle DID happen, it's part of the story, it doesn't contradict actual events/plot/lore. If anything, one could argue that Ash being oblivious goes against his established personality. I just want to say that just because something happened early on that doesn't make it non canon. Saying that makes no sense.

brtnvm

Giselle best girl
You could also interpret it like this - Giselle was the only girl that fit Ash's ideal girl standards in the anime.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
calling it now, she going to develop feeling for ash at the end of her character arc lol.

Nah. For me, she is clearly being set to be the Serena to Go's Ash.

Also I find it super ironic that the first legendary they're featuring is Lugia which is completely unobtainable in Sword & Shield not to mention all the unobtainable Pokemon featured in this episode. I remember when I was a kid, the joys of watching the anime were that if I saw a Pokemon in the show I thought was cool I could find it on my Gameboy. Not sure if every kid enjoys this same crossover synergy as I did, but I'd imagine some of them might get disappointed. The amount of Pokemon featured in this episode that are unobtainable is laughable -- Dodrio, Psyduck, the Horsea line, Pidgey line, Garchomp, Fearow x 12, the Tentacool line, Dewgong. Of all the generation of games for the anime to choose to feature the entire world of Pokemon, Sword and Shield is the most head scratching choice

Interesting that the ending, that had Masuda as part of the production, features pokémon who aren't in the Galar Dex lol

Anyway, I'd say it's just like people were speculating and it's more of a Pokémon Go adaptation than a SwSh. Which is not a bad thing since as for right now, Pokémon Go has more Pokémon on it than SwSh.

I used to not be completly sold to their idea until I saw the pokémon eggs having the same color scheme as the KM eggs from Go. Yeah, sounds odd being convinced by that rather than everything else haha

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
So Ash & Go haven't met each other during childhood until this episode when they rode on Lugia, in which it's due of Ash overslept that he didn't attend Oak's lesson.

Speaking of Lugia, it reminds me of the SNK Boss syndrome, which many fighters are attempting to do some damage to a boss character but to no avail. At least, Lugia just wanted to have fun against the trainers without threatening them. But it should provide Ash & Go a seat belt, as it's dangerous to have 2 boys riding on it and move frantically.

I think Koharu needs a little bit more personality. Her no-nonsense attitude would get old after a while. Also, nice showing of Ash's past achievements like the Alola League trophy in his room. Looks like Ash & Go arguing/fighting would be a trend in this series.

Anyways, the episode was alright. I would like to see more new Pokemons aside the one that Koharu has.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Yeah, I rather see her saving people from threats and Ash & Go praising how badass she is than having her seeing them as their knights in shining armor.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
That....sounds like a convenient way for people to deny canon events. I mean, Ash's affection for Giselle DID happen, it's part of the story, it doesn't contradict actual events/plot/lore. If anything, one could argue that Ash being oblivious goes against his established personality. I just want to say that just because something happened early on that doesn't make it non canon. Saying that makes no sense.

You could also interpret it like this - Giselle was the only girl that fit Ash's ideal girl standards in the anime.
My point is that a lot of long-running series like this end up abandoning certain early aspects of characters for various reasons, and pokemon has rarely let the concept of canon hold it back. Like take how early on Brock was just as willing to hit Misty as she was to hit him.

Basically past early parts of the first series, Ash has been pretty consistently portrayed as not simply having certain ideal standards but rather being pretty oblivious to the idea of romantic attraction in general. He understands pokemon and friendship, romantic attraction is rather beyond him (and I say this as someone who long ago was a pokeshipper).

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Ash was not blushing because Koharu was attractive, he was flushed from having spent hours walking with Go back from the field Lugia dumped them in

And are we supposed to accept they didn't speak a word to one another so Ash and Go will have things to talk about in future episodes or something?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Mr. Mime staying with Ash... can't wait until a traveling circus loses their Galarian Mr. Mime and mistake Mimey for him lol
Corviknight was awesome, really hoping Ash winds up with one!
Thank god Lugia's not being demoted to being the twerp's bus
Go's cool, and I like Kotaru. She's not immediately aboard the Ash express like all the XY and SM cast members were!

PokeFreak1200

The episode was enjoyable, and might confirm we'll be seeing more Pokemon Go in the anime. I thought Lugia showing up randomly was weird, until the one guy said "It's a raid battle". It seems similar to Pokemon Go where they will randomly appear in areas to be battled and possibly captured in. I'm not too familiar with their raid system, but I'm pretty sure everyone gets a copy of the Pokemon on capture. Wonder how they'll show that in the anime, maybe everyone gets a day with Lugia.

Last edited:

situationuk

The scene of Lugia nosediving into the sea with the BNHA-like OST was fantastic.

The face expressions of Ash and Go gave me this fresh sense of "a new adventure is coming".

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Ash being hurt by some pokémon right before meeting the girl is the new bicycle gag I guess
First Lillie and Tauros, now Koharu and Yamper

Going to comment better on the episode tomorrow, but I liked it overall. It's shaping up to be like SM: not super serious action, but fun, charming and even relaxing to watch. I literally watched this before sleep!

The scene of Lugia nosediving into the sea with the BNHA-like OST was fantastic.

The face expressions of Ash and Go gave me this fresh sense of "a new adventure is coming".
nice avatar/pfp

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I still can't believe how much watchability Yuuki Hayashi is adding to the JP version. I hate to admit it, but Mr. Goldfarb has some true competition now.

Though the voices still need work. Those are still holding the JP version back. Gou's a neat character, but his JP voice is bland.

As for the ED, it's cute. It's not good, it's not bad. It's cute and that's it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
As a guy who tells people how to dissect animals for a living, I really related to Go when he examined Lugia's flaps and skin.

SceptileTheBanana

DRAGON TAIL!
Super disappointed so many people are upset with the new soundtrack. Yuki Hayashi is LEGENDARY, and the fact that he is making music for this series is incredible. The soundtrack this episode was breathtaking, easily better than 99.9% of sun and moon. I don't know why people are criticising this series so bad already. It is leagues ahead of what the last series so spectacularly failed to deliver, especially in the music department. And before someone replies that the soundtrack is too similar to My Hero, this is a WELCOME change. The fact that the alola league had the regi theme play in virtually every episode demonstrates the fact that this show's soundtrack was well overdue for an overhaul, and Sword and Shield did just that.

BlueDragonfangirl

I liked it better than the Sun and Moon premiere, I laughed a lot more and like Go's personality and the fun dynamics he will have with Ash. I watched the sub version and am weirded out by the Pokemon's names, I'm used to the dub version LOL. I hope Ash can explain his adventures with Mew and Mewtwo as time goes on, it'd be a little odd if he didn't. New girl, what to make of her? I'm not really a fan of her giving Ash the cold shoulder act but hopefully she warms up to him soon, I'd LOL if she got a crush on him after her so called character arc. I like this new professor too, he seems fun and corky.

I don't like how Ash's mom keeps sticking by him, I miss Ash being away and traveling on his own with new friends * sigh* And wouldn't you know it, one of my least favorite Pokemon gets to travel along with them great. Is it me or do Ash's mom and Oak seem like a married couple these days?

Over all, fun start. Looking forward to now things move on, I hope Ash can talk a bit more about his past adventures.