• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Super disappointed so many people are upset with the new soundtrack. Yuki Hayashi is LEGENDARY, and the fact that he is making music for this series is incredible. The soundtrack this episode was breathtaking, easily better than 99.9% of sun and moon. I don't know why people are criticising this series so bad already. It is leagues ahead of what the last series so spectacularly failed to deliver, especially in the music department. And before someone replies that the soundtrack is too similar to My Hero, this is a WELCOME change. The fact that the alola league had the regi theme play in virtually every episode demonstrates the fact that this show's soundtrack was well overdue for an overhaul, and Sword and Shield did just that.
The dub OST succeeds where the JP music of SM (and also XY) failed, too.

However, you are 100% correct about Hayashi's music also achieving that. Who cares if it's similar to MHA?

As I said before, the dub music for this new saga has formidable competition now. I can see myself conceding that they're both good in their own ways (the mindset I've been wanting to have all along about the entire show).

As for people's problems with Hayashi's Pokemon music...it's really best I don't answer that here.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Main problem with the music is that it's not memorable or recognizable

SM's shortcomings with its music is that it didn't use enough of its own and reused a lot of tracks from XY

Not to mention the single best Elite Four remix only showed up in a Filler arc, and Guzma’s themes were nowhere to be heard

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
It was a solid premiere. All of the scenes involving Lugia were amazing and I loved the raid battle, I thought it looked fantastic (as short as it was). I kinda felt like Ash and Go bonded too quickly (maybe it's just my imagination) and that the whole plot of them helping out the professor was established in a rushed manner, I think I would have personally preferred it if they had had a two-parter for the setup of this series instead of wasting an episode on a poorly written Pikachu backstory.

Go is a fun character, very expressive like Ash and I can already tell their fights will be fun to behold. Otherwise I don't have much to say about him, he's just as enthusiastic as Ash but in a totally different way.

Koharu, though, is not very fun, though solely based on the first episode there's stuff speculate about her character and motivations. Firstly, Koharu seems to be highly focused on her studies and doesn't seem to share the same passion for Pokemon that Go does. Go and Koharu are supposed to be childhood friends, and yet here we have a random stranger, Ash, bonding with Go to the point they're already sharing a room and traveling together. I wonder if this could play into Koharu's attitude towards Ash (jealousy/feeling ignored?), or if she's merely giving him a cold shoulder because she doesn't know him very well. In the manga, Koharu actually catches Ash rubbing his face against Yamper and she has this like suspicious face (it's a funny scene) and she just moves away from Ash. Well, in any case, the opening does indicate Koharu will eventually join them, so something will happen that will potentially trigger her interest.

So yeah, from the main cast, Koharu seems to have the most potential for development already, which I personally really like and makes me very interested in the character. I also like the concept of someone not falling in love with Ash immediately.

OTHER STUFF:
  • I really dug the designs for some of the raid battle trainers. They were far from generic, and it makes me wonder if they'll be reappearing in the future.
  • Lugia speaking to Ash was a nice touch, glad they kept that from the manga.
  • The whole Ash and Pikachu waking up sequence was adorable.

Yeah, I enjoyed it overall.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Super disappointed so many people are upset with the new soundtrack. Yuki Hayashi is LEGENDARY, and the fact that he is making music for this series is incredible. The soundtrack this episode was breathtaking, easily better than 99.9% of sun and moon. I don't know why people are criticising this series so bad already. It is leagues ahead of what the last series so spectacularly failed to deliver, especially in the music department. And before someone replies that the soundtrack is too similar to My Hero, this is a WELCOME change. The fact that the alola league had the regi theme play in virtually every episode demonstrates the fact that this show's soundtrack was well overdue for an overhaul, and Sword and Shield did just that.
People are used to Pokémon sounding a certain way and it now sounding different is obviously going to throw some people off. Though, much as I too have criticized the Alola League's ridiculous overuse of the Regi theme, that wasn't really on Miyazaki; That would have been a bunch of poor decisions made by the episode directors or whoever decides the music placement week to week. They had plenty of other battle themes they could have used instead. Yet for some reason they defaulted back to literally the most recent one every single week.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
About the scene with Ash's major awards table, I forgot where he got the trophy with a wing-like design... I know the other 3 are from Manalo Exhibition, Manalo Conference, and Orange League...

Also present are his badges from Hoenn up to Kalos, plus Battle Frontier plaque, and his Z-Power Ring... And then missing are his Indigo, Orange and Johto badges... Where are those? Those clearly aren't forgotten...

Where did he get the Poké Doll?

Not that I'm complaining, I liked that scene... I just need to be refreshed as there has to be a reason and for those which I forgot (4th trophy and Poké Doll)...

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
About the scene with Ash's major awards table, I forgot where he got the trophy with a wing-like design... I know the other 3 are from Manalo Exhibition, Manalo Conference, and Orange League...
Pokemon_League_Badge.png

That's from the Indigo League

Also present are his badges from Hoenn up to Kalos, plus Battle Frontier plaque, and his Z-Power Ring... And then missing are his Indigo, Orange and Johto badges... Where are those? Those clearly aren't forgotten...
Orange League trophy is there, so there's really no need to showcase the badges of Orange League.

Dunno about Johto stuff.

Speared

Where did he get the Poké Doll?

Not that I'm complaining, I liked that scene... I just need to be refreshed as there has to be a reason and for those which I forgot (4th trophy and Poké Doll)...

He didn't have a badge case in OS and Johto, most likely they are still pinned to his old vest.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So it was a good starting episode for the most part, still think the "lets all attack a legendary at once" thing is silly but whatevs, Lugia took them on a ride which is cool but we were inundated with legendaries for most of SM, so hopefully they focus on regular pokemon more this time, and ones that need more exposure. So far from future episodes, seems like we will be getting just mostly popular pokemon for now.

Go and Ash have total boyfriend vibes now also so there's that to be excited about since Go is cute and so is Ash.

OniCornwalis

There’s a couple of things I’d like to point out about this episode;

While Lugia destroyed Ash and Pikachu almost immediately, they were also the only ones that did any significant damage to Lugia, so take that for what you will.

Ash here looks like he’s SM Ash’s personality but toned down some, and with some of his trademark heroism and recklessness thrown in there. They recognize that he’s strong, but they don’t emphasize it nearly as much as much as previous series.

Go’s family has not been mentioned whatsoever, which makes me wonder how complicated his family life is and when it’s going to be brought up.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So Go is definitely giving me Iris vibes especially his interactions with Ash. For the most part it seems like he picks the small little arguments they have but I'm glad they're making Ash "fight back" to not make it seem one sided. Koharu is interesting and I'm wondering why she's actively avoiding Ash (please do not let it be a crush writers I'm begging you)....maybe she's shy? Or she could be stuck up and have a superiority factor to her? The latter could be pretty interesting.

Anyway a few questions
Where are Go's parents and are they just randomly okay with him living with the Professor? Where was he staying before?
Why does Koharu wear her uniform outside of school?
Will Go also be able to speak to Lugia in the future?
Are they ever going to bring up how they almost went to camp together?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Or she could be stuck up and have a superiority factor to her? The latter could be pretty interesting.
That's an interesting idea. Actually, if you watch opening, during the segment where Go and Ash fall while running down the street, she makes a weird face and just walks away, it's like she doesn't care or she's looking down on them? Maybe she dislikes Go spending all his time with Ash? (that would be amusing)

Considering she's being voiced by freaking Kana Hanazawa, I'm expecting some big moments for her.

Red and Blue

Missed opportunity in not having an Alolan and Kalos trainer join in on the raid. Then all eight regions would have been covered.

I'm not that bothered with Koharu's cold attitude towards Ash so far. I mentioned in the speculation thread it would be interesting to have a companion who started out disliking Ash before warming up to him. I just hope it lasts for a few more episodes.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
There wasnt a proper introduction between Ash and Koharu not to mention she ignored him after Her Yamper electrified him so whatever you do, dont ship them together.
Overall, a good episode and i wonder if Ash and Go finds out they almost met in a camp 4 years ago and that Go saw Ash's Pikachu as a Pichu.

Rohanator

Pokemon usually focuses on the wonders of the unknown through Satoshi arriving to a new region and witnessing all the new Pokemon, people and culture they have to offer, the purpose of that is of course to draw in new young viewers but it has always felt relatable for me as a long time fan because I too want to learn everything about the new stuff, and being excited by it never takes away from everything I, and Satoshi, have been through. This new series, at least right now, feels more like it's introducing the very idea of Pokemon to someone who has never seen it before without really adding anything new to excite a veteran. But because Satoshi is there and clearly knew Lugia already, an older viewer could feel like they're showing Go the world they know and love. I prefer the feeling I got from the beginnings of series like XY and SM, but I can also appreciate this, and I'm sure that Satoshi will get his share of the new as well.

Rohanator

Yuki Hayashi's music is pretty but hasn't given me that good Pokemon feeling yet, we'll see if his style simply won't be able to replace Miyazaki for me or if I need to hear the music in the context of a scene I really care about in order to get it. Hard to make a fair comparison when I've loved the original Pokemon style for my whole life (and don't care for My Hero Academia enough to feel any bias towards people involved with it), but this is what it's gonna be for at least a few years now so might as well embrace it.