• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

game3524

That's an interesting idea. Actually, if you watch opening, during the segment where Go and Ash fall while running down the street, she makes a weird face and just walks away, it's like she doesn't care or she's looking down on them? Maybe she dislikes Go spending all his time with Ash? (that would be amusing)

Considering she's being voiced by freaking Kana Hanazawa, I'm expecting some big moments for her.

I think Koharu is just put off by Ash's childlike enthusiasm. If you read her bio, she is embarrassed by her father's kid-like enthusiasm when it comes to Pokemon, so it makes sense why she would be cold to Ash early on. Anyway, this seems like something that will change later on. In fact, I expect Koharu to get a redesign later on (like Serena) and end up joining the boys on their adventures.

Remix2

Speaking of music, i think we got our Pokémon’s you say run during the Lugia scenes,

Now all we need is Pokemon equivalent of just another hero, overhaul theme, all for one theme and vanguard attack squad theme and we be all set.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I think Koharu is just put off by Ash's childlike enthusiasm. If you read her bio, she is embarrassed by her father's kid-like enthusiasm when it comes to Pokemon, so it makes sense why she would be cold to Ash early on. Anyway, this seems like something that will change later on. In fact, I expect Koharu to get a redesign later on (like Serena) and end up joining the boys on their adventures.
I totally missed that, I didn't see it in character bios in the character discussion thread. Though I feel that 'embarrassed by my dad's/friend's behavior' would be portrayed a bit differently from how Koharu was portrayed. I guess we'll see!

game3524

I totally missed that, I didn't see it in character bios in the character discussion thread. Though I feel that 'embarrassed by my dad's/friend's behavior' would be portrayed a bit differently from how Koharu was portrayed. I guess we'll see!

Yeah, it was a tidbit in the magazine from a few weeks ago.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Thoughts:
Not gonna lie, I like that they introduced Raid Battles in the anime early on and the manner that they introduced it, it felt like it was an already established thing. I also liked the telepathy nod with Lugia, like the one from M02.

One other thing, regarding the opening, the shots with the characters at the beginning of it, reminded me of the first XY opening.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'm surprised I've seen so many people apprehensive to the music but I've instantly taken to it and loved everything I've heard so far. Of course being a huge MHA I'm probably biased lol
Personally, I don't like MHA. It's nothing but the usual junk from the bottom of the shonen barrel. I just wanted the JP music to stop being the annoying noise it's been since XY. And I was prepared for the possibility that Hayashi's music could've been worse than Miyazaki's, but thankfully that didn't happen.

I just hope he doesn't fall into the slump Miyazaki did. And I definitely hope Mima doesn't fall into *his* past mistakes with Miyazaki's music.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I gotta say that I was a bit apprehensive about Go and I think they did a nice job in distinguishing between his and Ash's view of the world.

He is definitely much more observant in the details and Pokémon physiology while Ash focus on the feelings and intentions of them. I mean we've seen it in the past with Valerie's gym match where she was intrigued by Ash's ability to know what his Pokémon are feeling just by physical cues.

I fear that Go's ways are eventually gonna lead to him disregarding a Pokémon's feelings and will cause a bit of an issue. I think Scorbunny will be the perfect partner for him to realize this.

Koharu seems indifferent to Ash and that's nice to be to be honest. It's quite the change of pace. Even Yamper hates him lmao

Soniman

Break the Limit
Personally, I don't like MHA. It's nothing but the usual junk from the bottom of the shonen barrel. I just wanted the JP music to stop being the annoying noise it's been since XY. And I was prepared for the possibility that Hayashi's music could've been worse than Miyazaki's, but thankfully that didn't happen.

I just hope he doesn't fall into the slump Miyazaki did. And I definitely hope Mima doesn't fall into *his* past mistakes with Miyazaki's music.
Literally I don't agree with a single thing you just said but I hope you grow to enjoy it then

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I will admit, I am rather curious as to how this series will play out; like if he'll see more of Ash's past pokemon he captured since the base is close to home relatively speaking and the series will go back to old regions as well as Galar.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Not a too shabby start to a new adventure.

• Go's cool abut a bit...generic but I guess that was unavoidable. I feel like his character is going to be essentially one of Satoshi's "other selves" and they'll have a kinship bond similar to Kaki/Satoshi, Satoshi/Masamune, Satoshi/Shigeru. I guess if we were going to have one technical official full-time companion this saga it might as well be a mirror version of Satoshi...I just hope they don't dive too deeply into that. Though the highlighted differences with Go being more of a charmer, more book smart, more on the technical side of Pokemon versus Satoshi's more intuitive self makes for a good start. I like the fact he focuses on the future too and isn't a battle freak further contrasting Satoshi's mannerisms. Hopefully they continue to diverge without Go eventually developing into Satoshi's brother. His design is really nice too look at!

• Koharu's cool, I was expecting more of a passive character but she's actually a deadpan snarker. With so many overzealous characters I like the fact she's there to level things out. Reminded me of Iris in her snarkiness. I like how she's apprehensive of Satoshi and her Wanpachi outright hates him (with good reason) because it's interesting, it's intriguing to see a Pokemon and human just not liking him initially in the main cast enough to even talk to him or acknowledge him. She's a good "less is more" type character and I can definitely see her coming into conflict with Satoshi's philosophies and behaviors. Her casual deadpan and disapproval from the background works.

• OST....I gotta echo the sentiments about it not being all that memorable, it's not bad by any means, it's just not something that sticks to my brain after the fact. Never seen My Hero Academia so I can't fall in love with it off based off its namesake. I did enjoy that track during the little spat where those fodder trainers jobbed to Lugia. The one track during the Lugia ride sounded good but I just don't readily recall it in the same vein where I can directly hear it in my head along with the scene but when it's in my face I can go "Oh, sounds good." Never realized how much Miyazaki's music gave scenes their identity. I really didn’t think I would care until I saw the episode itself and even rewatching the first episode I just don’t recall any specific scene or music cleanly. Pichu evolving had a nice sober track but I don’t readily remember it’s exact sound and all despite enjoying the scene. The thing is such an intense emotional scene about the star Pokémon of the show shouldn’t had felt so phoned in composition wise.

• PM2019 feels super new and fresh, they felt the need to show Pikachu and Satoshi's first meeting, explain how the Pokemon world works, and Pikachu's only used move was his trademarked Thunderbolt. On the other side of the coin given how Wanpachi was never specified as being a Galar-native Pokemon and Armorgaw was casually blasted away like the already debuted 'mon. Sonia/Magnolia are seemingly replaced by OCs in Koharu/Sakuragi. It really puts into perspective how this saga isn't going to be about SwSh. I'm interested to see where they head and how they further change up the formula. This seems more of a Pokemon Go anime than whatever the games are doing, makes sense like someone else said we're at a point where you can get all the Pokemon in Go but certainly not the mainline games. It does seem like Kanto is going to be the most recognized saga since its native Pokémon are at the forefront in most scenery and will because its homebase and that does suck a bit if you’re wanting Galarmon to get their due.
It's a good and enjoyable episode on its own for sure, in terms of the future of the saga I'm just not sure what to think because I didn't get much of anything to make an educated guess on future character arcs. The cast being full of OCs means they aren't basing anything off certain source material so you can't look to the games and see something like Kaki owning a Garagara and speculate him catching one later or Lillie later ascending to "Ganbarillie." It's a good idea also in the sense where I think it's great the writers aren't tied down to specific narrative they have to follow and can really flex their creative muscles writing their own Pokemon anime. Because why take game content they write in their own way when they can just make their own unique stuff for better or for worse. At the very least I imagine it's more fun for the staff to be allowed to be creative and not shackled to the games for once given how Sun&Moon had so much of a formula change and difference from past sagas this is probably and evolution in them making the show their own.

Last edited:

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Took forever for me to get to this but I thought it was really fun. I'm definitely wary of where this series is going in the future, but sitting back and watching this eases my mind a bit just because I think it's shaping up to be a good time either way.

The music will definitely take some getting used to, but it gave the episode a really cool, new vibe. (Incidentally MHA gets a lot of love for this guy's music, but personally I'm way more into his Gundam Build Fighters tracks. And any Precure fans around?)

I was also a little apprehensive about Go but he seems like a fun character. Not sure I'm looking forward to him and Ash getting into dumb fights but hopefully that'll be something that's resolved early on. Also I'm sorry but the fact that his name is literally "Go" and that we canonically have characters fighting legendaries in groups as "raid battles" is a bit much for me as someone who never really got into Pokemon Go, but I can't deny seeing everyone unleash on Lugia and it just brush them aside was a really cool sequence.

Overall this was a great episode thought that really should have aired with the first one as it was clearly the proper start of the series. Here's hoping for more good times in the future.

game3524

PM2019 feels super new and fresh, they felt the need to show Pikachu and Satoshi's first meeting, explain how the Pokemon world works, and Pikachu's only used move was his trademarked Thunderbolt. On the other side of the coin given how Wanpachi was never specified as being a Galar-native Pokemon and Armorgaw was casually blasted away like the already debuted 'mon. Sonia/Magnolia are seemingly replaced by OCs in Koharu/Sakuragi. It really puts into perspective how this saga isn't going to be about SwSh. I'm interested to see where they head and how they further change up the formula. This seems more of a Pokemon Go anime than whatever the games are doing, makes sense like someone else said we're at a point where you can get all the Pokemon in Go but certainly not the mainline games. It does seem like Kanto is going to be the most recognized saga since its native Pokémon are at the forefront in most scenery and will because its homebase and that does suck a bit if you’re wanting Galarmon to get their due.

Yup.

It is not a reboot, but the new series does seem to capture the feel of the OS (focus on the characters and the broader Pokemon world ), but with a more modern spin on things. I am also glad the main cast seems to be entirely made up of OCs. It now feels like they aren't limited with what they can do with these characters and can take their stories where they want to take them.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Honestly, I'm struggling to find something to say about this episode. I guess I spoiled myself by reading the manga version first.

That being said, it was pretty fun. Ash and Gou are great together, and I'm expecting great things from this brotherly dynamic.

Koharu is the typical "boys are dumb, girls are mature"-type character you see a lot in kids shows like this (Hillary from Beyblade is the first example that springs to my mind). Still, her interactions should bring about lots of chuckles. I love how her reaction to seeing what might've been a freshly-made corpse was the scoot away and pretend she saw nothing.

If Ash slept through a Thunderbolt but was waken up by his mom, does that mean Delia's stronger than Pikachu?

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Not sure I'm looking forward to him and Ash getting into dumb fights but hopefully that'll be something that's resolved early on. Also I'm sorry but the fact that his name is literally "Go" and that we canonically have characters fighting legendaries in groups as "raid battles" is a bit much for me as someone who never really got into Pokemon Go, but I can't deny seeing everyone unleash on Lugia and it just brush them aside was a really cool sequence.
Yeah, agreeing on the Satoshi/Go dynamic hopefully not amounting to a bunch of quick spats like that over and over. I want the characters to bond and connect on some real human groun without the constant need to make them “parallels” especially since Go is filling the mantel of the only companion this saga full time. Some real amicable turmoil between the two, different ways of going about things, different methods but Satoshi’s not necessarily always being right with him showing Go the “light” would be cool. I just don’t want a Satoshi clone even though I adore Satoshi and his characterization from SM lives on through this saga, we don’t need two of them.

As for Pokémon Go slowly creeping itself into the franchise, I guess this was inevitable. I personally knew nothing of Raid battles until touching SwSh thus never played Go itself. It does seem like Go’s character could have been inspired by that aspect of the franchise since he wants to get lots of Pokémon and his main goal seems to find the ever rare mythical Mew. Ironically you get that via a Pokeball Plus paywall in LGPE. That doesn’t mean the character will necessarily lack soul and from a design standpoint he’s very unique compared to the overall companion choices for the anime.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Holy ****. Where do I begin. So a lot of the stuff that's going on reminds me of the craziness, the magic and the quirks of the Pokemon Adventures manga. So you know how the anime's introduction to the Pokemon world is pretty boring, they just have Ash get off a boat or an airplane and get a few glimpses of the many Pokemon roaming the seas and land? Get that out of here! This is how you introduce the world of Pokemon! Riding on freaking Lugia across land, sea and air and actually have Ash and Gou experience these Pokemon for themselves. What a way to introduce the world of Pokemon and how Ash and Gou meet? We see two different camera angles, both of them coincidentally jumping off a cliff without thinking much just to get on Lugia. What a crazy way to have these two meet and I love it. And when Gou gets the chance of choosing a Kanto starter, he does perhaps the most Pokemon Adventures thing I have seen in any anime character. Nah, I'm a get Mew as my first Pokemon and... well. This episode is just pretty good. I do have to say one thing, what's with the edgy designs of the random trainers participating in the raid battles? It looks like the designers of Persona... no wait. The designers of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth did those designs. Oh but to be honest. That's really my only nitpick of this episode. I love the crazy introductions, I love Lugia's role in this, I like how Team Rocket isn't in this episode, I like the look of the city, the harbor, the flowery fields and the suburban Japanese homes just gives me this old classy 90s feel. My favorite part however has to be Yamper, I know a dog just like that where it growls at strangers, trying to act all mean and scary until you walk up to it and it walks backwards away from you, trying to maintain that scary growl.

Honestly, if this keeps up. I might actually have to recommend the anime to Pokemon fans. If it gets even better than this, may even have to recommend it beyond Pokemon fans.

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
One question:

With so much focus on Kanto since SM, there's been something that's bothering me. We saw Brock and Misty back in SM and most of Ash's Pokemon. The question here is:

Where the heck is Gary Oak?

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
One question:

With so much focus on Kanto since SM, there's been something that's bothering me. We saw Brock and Misty back in SM and most of Ash's Pokemon. The question here is:

Where the heck is Gary Oak?
Bulbasaur, Muk and Tauros are "most of Ash's pokémon"?

Did they leave the ranch in protest against Dexit three years before it happened?

Were they warning us?

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Is it only me or was Pikachu little skirmish with Lugia a good indicator that it's quite strong (I think its attack did most of damage from any of the Trainers trying to capture it) but not on Big Legendary (Version Mascots+Mewtwo+Zygarde+Eternatus) level which is a good indicator of it's actual strength considering his Tapu Koko battle?

dman_dustin

Bulbasaur, Muk and Tauros are "most of Ash's pokémon"?

Did they leave the ranch in protest against Dexit three years before it happened?

Were they warning us?

Well there was Squirtle, Corphish, and Totodile as well.

Not to mention 30 Tauros would absolutely constitute towards most of Ash's Pokemon. Since at 6 Pokemon at best it would take 5 generations to make up those 30 Tauros. Unless your metric of "most" only counts 1 of the tauros among the number of species as opposed to the actual quantity of Pokemon Ash has.