• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

On Lugia They Go, Ash and Go! (1091)

dman_dustin

Never confirmed to be Ash's

Yes because there are two Squirtle squads that exist, a 2nd totodile with the same personality as Ash's, and a random Corphish with said Totodile despite the people who made the episode claiming there would be some surprises in the episode or maybe (I can't remember) more explicitly stating we would see some Ash's Pokemon but I think it was more said to be about surprises in the context of continuity.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Yes because there are two Squirtle squads that exist, a 2nd totodile with the same personality as Ash's, and a random Corphish with said Totodile despite the people who made the episode claiming there would be some surprises in the episode or maybe (I can't remember) more explicitly stating we would see some Ash's Pokemon but I think it was more said to be about surprises in the context of continuity.
The Squad doesn't revolve around Ash, nor did we see any of totodile or corphish's personalities

I'm pretty sure the "surprise" was the return of Brock and Misty, along with a return to Kanto, classic Team Rocket schemes, and a gym battle

Red and Blue

The Squad doesn't revolve around Ash, nor did we see any of totodile or corphish's personalities

I'm pretty sure the "surprise" was the return of Brock and Misty, along with a return to Kanto, classic Team Rocket schemes, and a gym battle
Why would Ash's Squirtle not be among the ones in the Squirtle Squad?

dman_dustin

You are AWARE that Squirtle went back to the Squirtle Squad first in the Johto region and then after the battle frontier, right? Not to mention the one with the obviously SAME glasses that Ash's Squirtle wears in the same shot as the one taken by RotomDex.

We literally have Totodile laying back like its cool or chilling out, which is what you'd expect from Ash's Totodile just minding its own business. And I didn't say Corphish had a personality, I said it wouldn't make sense to put a random Corphish with Ash's Totodile if it wasn't Ash's.

Not sure why you're adamantly arguing they aren't Ash's Pokemon when there are countless other Pokemon that Ash has at Oak's lab that DID NOT show up.

Gliscor, Infernape, Sceptile, Noctowl, Swellow, Donphan, Gible, Staraptor, Leavanny, Krookodile, Scraggy, Glalie, Bayleef, Quilava, Charizard, Snivy, Oshawott, Pignite, Boldore, Noivern, Talonflame, Hawlucha, and the other countless others I forgot because I don't want to spend time remembering everyone.

Unless you aren't understanding the nature of an easter egg, by either the animator/writer. There would be no reason whatsoever to show off two NON Kanto generation Pokemon and not have them be Ash's.

As for the Squirtle Squad, I don't know why the leader of the Squirtle Squad isn't Ash's, when Ash's Squirtle is currently WITH the Squirtle Squad especially the leader of the squad wearing the same exact glasses as Ash's Squirtle in its debut episode.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Very enjoyable second episode! I loved the pacing and everything feels natural. I’m warming up to the new characters. It’s really nice that Ash has a new mission, I just knew that someday, he’ll be a research assistant!! Good job Ash and Pikachu! Now Mr. Mime is in on the ride.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Why does Ash have Lillie’s Clefairy doll? Aside from it being a reference to the game’s, I don’t remember a scene in Sun & Moon where she gave it to him

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked Gou's interactions with Satoshi at first, and seeing him reject the Kanto Starters was interesting since most other characters would've taken a liking to them. I felt that Koharu was the only problem since even after all the initial promo material that we got that showed her and now her appearance in this episode, I still felt that she was too aloof. I really enjoyed the Lugia scenes, though.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
they got some interesting VA's in the dub for this one it seems.

Cherami Leigh is Chloe (Koharu) and Ray Chase is the new professor.

I don't know Goh's VA though.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
they got some interesting VA's in the dub for this one it seems.

Cherami Leigh is Chloe (Koharu) and Ray Chase is the new professor.

I don't know Goh's VA though.
Goh’s voiced by Zeno Robinson. The only roles I know he did are Remy from Big City Greens & Hawks from My Hero Academia.

So far the only dub VA I don’t like is Yamper. I think think they got Billy Beach to play it to make Yamper sound similar to the sub version, but to me it just sounds like Meowth trying too hard to sound like a dog, which kind of throws me off. I like the sub version a little better partly because it sounds cuter & partly because of the fact that “Wanpa! Wanpa!” sounds similar to an actual dog going “Woof! Woof!” Maybe if they got someone else like Haven Paschal or Mallow’s VA to voice Yamper it might sound better.

That’s really the only thing about the episode that bothered me though since everything else was great. Some of the dialogue was a little clunky, but I can live with it since the VAs gave their 110% & they needed to match mouth flaps. I also love how they’re handling the music in this series. I wish they kept a few silent parts like when Chloe comes home to see Ash shocked by Yamper, but I like how they balance out the music between Goldfarb’s score and the tunes based on music from the games.

Plus, Goldfarb’s pieces are really getting better. His tune for the raid battle fit the intensity of the scene better than Hayashi’s did while the music that played while Ash & Go were on Lugia sounded perfect. It had a good mix of tunes you’d hear on a road trip (fitting the show’s overall concept), and epic scores with a sense of wonder & mystery to go with Lugia’s legendary status.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Watching the dub, yeah, it's going to be hard not hearing Remy from Big City Greens when listening to Go just like it's hard to not hear Deku in the Japanese.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Plus, Goldfarb’s pieces are really getting better. His tune for the raid battle fit the intensity of the scene better than Hayashi’s did while the music that played while Ash & Go were on Lugia sounded perfect. It had a good mix of tunes you’d hear on a road trip (fitting the show’s overall concept), and epic scores with a sense of wonder & mystery to go with Lugia’s legendary status.
Though I think Hayashi's music for the raid battle is just as good as what Mr. Goldfarb made, Hayashi wins the Lugia flying scene.

Being two episodes in, it's too early to rank this saga's music as a whole (and really, his music from XY and SM included some great pieces that'll be hard to top). But I will say this: his music is still great and is still welcome in this show, just like the music of Yuki Hayashi. Also, just as I'd hoped, the two are of generally equal skill as musicians.

So far the only dub VA I don’t like is Yamper. I think think they got Billy Beach to play it to make Yamper sound similar to the sub version, but to me it just sounds like Meowth trying too hard to sound like a dog, which kind of throws me off. I like the sub version a little better partly because it sounds cuter & partly because of the fact that “Wanpa! Wanpa!” sounds similar to an actual dog going “Woof! Woof!” Maybe if they got someone else like Haven Paschal or Mallow’s VA to voice Yamper it might sound better.
I like them both, even though dub Yamper isn't clearly saying "Wampa" anymore.

Soon, we'll find out what Rotomphone (who screams every word it says so loudly that even most fans of the JP version call it annoying, which it is, and yet for some reason they're still letting JP Meowth's wretched excuse of a voice slide seriously what the ****) sounds like in the dub.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Love the shot of Ash's trophy case

Loved the Raid Battle callout!

Wow, Corviknight is straight up making its anime debut without Ash seeing it. Reminds me of another Steel type, Ferrothorn, making its anime debut in BWS2-05 without Ash seeing it.

I like that Gen VIII has kept the concept of doing a remix of Gen I WTP music for its WTP, just like Gens VI and VII each had remixes as well. I'm thankful to Gen V for bringing back WTP at all, but its music wasn't as good as all subsequent Gens have been

Live-in is the best, Ash says, which maybe he wouldn't have if it weren't for his experience with Professor Kukui!

It makes no sense that Goh is just now making his trainer debut when they looked the same age in the flashback. Out of all the illogical egregious timeline decisions this show has done, this one seems the worst to me, because there's no logical explanation whatsoever.

That....sounds like a convenient way for people to deny canon events. I mean, Ash's affection for Giselle DID happen, it's part of the story, it doesn't contradict actual events/plot/lore. If anything, one could argue that Ash being oblivious goes against his established personality. I just want to say that just because something happened early on that doesn't make it non canon. Saying that makes no sense.

Have you never heard of early installment weirdness?? It's an actual tv trope, not something the prior poster made up.

Z-Power Ring

It's so interesting that after people said back in XY that the reason they wouldn't give Ash a Mega Ring was because they didn't want him to keep it past XY, now they just let him keep his Z-Power Ring lol, and the simple solution is leaving it on the bedside table never to be seen again. If that actually was the reason they never gave him a Mega Ring, that was stupid and to get rid of it after Gen VI they could have done the same thing they just did with the Z-Power Ring lol.. it doesn't have to be complicated.

Well there was Squirtle, Corphish, and Totodile as well.

Not to mention 30 Tauros would absolutely constitute towards most of Ash's Pokemon. Since at 6 Pokemon at best it would take 5 generations to make up those 30 Tauros. Unless your metric of "most" only counts 1 of the tauros among the number of species as opposed to the actual quantity of Pokemon Ash has.

Haha, Dustin my man you come up with the funniest complexities in order to cover every base in your arguments. I love it and you make me laugh.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Watched the first two episodes this week to get a better idea of what this show is going to be like, and I'll probably stick to watching one episode a week after this. I really don't like the idea of watching everything now, and not being able to watch anything new for several more months.

Anyways, this was an alright introduction to the series. Episode felt better than most Sun and Moon episodes, so I suppose that's promising, though not surprising, given that you can assume they'll put more effort into a premiere. So I'll just have to wait and see if this changes. Still don't like the animation, but whatever. In general I think the humor was better than Sun and Moon's, though I can't say for certain. What really surprised me was how much I liked Go. For some reason I had gotten the impression that he was just going to be a hyper-active joke character with little actually personality (don't ask me why, I don't know), but he's actually pretty serious and had some strong character showings in this episode. I'm already starting like him more than most companion characters. Interested to see if this keeps up.

All in all, I would say this series seems to have potential over Sun and Moon, and maybe even Black and White (though that's not saying much, given the low bar set by those series), but it still needs to prove to me that it can be anywhere near as good as the other series.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm really enjoying the dub for once and having it on Netflix. I pretty much didn't bother watching the dub of sun and moon just because it was hard for me to access so having this series on Netflix is really convenient, plus I like being able to watch it all at once.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sarah sounds...girlier as Ash. He sounds a bit too more high pitched than usual. It's like he's regressing in age.

How the hell did Delia get to Oak's Lab that fast? Ash literally had a very long head start and she doesn't own a car. See, I'm asking the real questions here.

Happy and disturbed to know Ash knows the word "cutie" but of course won't use it on a human girl. Like, I can't really fathom him saying that word at all.

So Cerise researches Pokemon sightings with his super computer he doesn't elaborate much on? He's simply just a slightly better news forecast anchor.

Lugia has appeared! WHAT DO?!

Ash: I'mma fight it!
Goh: IMMA TOUCH IT

...No, seriously. Even if they're just kids, this is just too dumb to do. Ash seemingly just wants to pick a fight with it (unlike the last time he met a Lugia before, but maybe I don't recall too well) with just Pikachu, and Goh is simply suicidal charging in without a contingency plan...and he's supposed to be the smart one. Throughout the episode, he does so many reckless things that the universe just...allows him to do and he isn't called out on them. Not even Cerise scolds Goh for risking his life riding on freaking Lugia. He's actually just happy he got some sweet research notes, which end up being the ticket for both boys to get recruited as research fellows (just say assistants).

Lugia was a beast during the raid battle, but that was pretty short-lived. Where did those trainers Goh? They disappeared after Ash went all badass intro. I also can't understand how Lugia isn't the least annoyed by letting the boys ride it. Is it yearning for kindness, which it can't never get because everyone wants to take a whack at it? Or it is that easy on forgiving the Pikachu that just tried to shock it? What was even Ash's plan if he somehow managed to beat it?

I wonder what Goh said when he introduced himself to Ash in Japanese? We know Ash says a lot more than usual because his Japanese introduction is too long with just his Japanese name, but what is Goh's excuse? Is it the same, saying from where he lives?

Cherami Leigh does not disappoint no matter what role she plays. Even if she's using her Asuna tone of voice, she simply nails even simple sounds. Ray Chase channels Cerise very well. Zeno Robinson as Goh...well, let's just say I'm not that hot on the voice, but Zeno definitely lands the right cues whenever the situation calls for it. But when put next to Sarah as Ash, Zeno simply shines brighter by default (which helps because Ash is an annoying loudmouth).

Normally, professors don't let people go out into the wild without a Pokemon. Goh is somehow an exception all as a poor excuse to give him Scorbunny later, because it was impossible to have Cerise show the Galar starters. This kid is Goh-ing against established rules and no one, not even his indifferent "friend" Chloe, scolds him for it.

Overall, a...poorly structured episode that tried to hype up things with Lugia, but that's where things fell down (to me). Can't wait to see these two kids somehow survive past the equivalent of Monday in their universe.

(However, Chloe stole the show without even needing to be in the spotlight. Her future is bright and endearing.)