• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Once In A Mawile! (382)

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Jesse GS the II said:
Which leads me to my question - I didn't get to see this, so I must inquire as to whether or not 4Kids touched the sound effects in this episode. I'd been looking forward to this episode in America (that's the ONLY time I'll ever say that) because it uses a vast amount of American-made sound effects, no doubt to give it a more cartoony feel. So did 4Kids leave them in for the majority, or did they get the shaft?
The psybeam sound effect was the same as the original. However, the music was awsul in the end. They played the music of Ash getting chased down by the Spearows, hardly battle music. I know many people would cinsider this minor but I'm the kind of person who believe that the music makes the scene as much as the dialogue and the action.

Chris

Old Coot
Sorry, but as much as I hate 4Kids, the sneeze thing was done for a reason. Most people who aren't aware of Japanese culture (blame that on 4Kids for wiping out whatever existed in the show that they could get away with) wouldn't get why Corphish popped up in a scene and randomly sneezed. Whereas those who do get the joke would instantly understand why Heigani's sneezing (and there being a short pause in the song).

And as I suspected, lack of "Ready Go" = unhappy Ed. There's a karaoke version they could've used. Unfortunately, they choose to approach the "it costs money" excuse when they waste money tossing it to writers (the show's ALREADY written, you need TRANSLATORS) and so-called music composers that just bash a keyboard for five seconds and do a "new piece." Can't forget all the wasted time on painting out signs in a language that NO ONE IN THIS WORLD CAN READ.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
I should have known they'd ax the sneeze, but the sound effects too? Geez, nothing is sacred on this show...although, you'd think I would have figured that out eight years ago.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I'm starting to wish Icould get the original episodes in Japanese because they usually seem much better than the dub. Especially with the music. Like I said, the music is important for me, it creates the atomsphere. When I heard the original sounds and music for the battle and sounds a lot more action packed. After seeing it dubbed, it felt drawn out and slow. Why? Because the music was slow. Not only does 4Kids believe it has to waste money to makes it music and hire some idiot who's apparently tone deaf but they never give scene appriate music. Why not use one of the game tie in battle pieces, they'd fit in more than what was played.

Every anime aside the ones dubbed by 4KIds keeps the sneezing gag in. Rayearth explained the history of it for crying out loud.

P-fan

Storm Trainer
What do the original background music sound like.

I be hearing the theme from Avance Generation. Most of them are theme from the game.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It started out with the music played when they were trying to escape the island made of the dormant Kabuto in the Orange Islands (an old example but the only one I could think of at the moment). Then they played "Ready, Go" which is the Japanese opening theme for the fifth season.

Also, they editted out the music from when Haunter and Gengar were trying to make Ash laugh but failed in the Tower of Terror episode in this episode in favor of that blasted Pokedex theme they created.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Didn't bother to read much of any post before this, so excuse any ignorence of what was previously mentioned.

First thing I have to say is, the animation was amazing. I don't particularly remember anything else Pokemon having better animation (except maybe the movies). I mean seriously, it seemed better than the norm for well-animated Pokemon episodes. Kinda disappointing it was wasted on such a filler of an episode, though (that's not to say I didn't enjoy this episode, however).

Anyway, as for the story, cool. I still can't say Pokemon liking another species of Pokemon is something I'm fond of watching, but it's not anything serious, so I won't complain.

Lombre evolving was somewhat random, as it was when it evolved from a Lotad. But what was even more random was the fact that it knew there was a Water Stone in what's-her-name's backpack. o_O

Ludicolo has that same sort of boring voice, but I can live with it. Ludicolo will look cool dancing next to Brock when he sings his song. ^^

That reminds me. Brock's Paradise is one awesome song. Why the heck didn't they give us a clip of it? I didn't hear one word come out of Brock's mouth. I love that song. Dang it, I wanted to hear Brock sing. :/ (Just to note, I think it's was perfect that Eric Stuart got to play the role of someone who sings a song every now and then, seeing as he's a professional singer and even sang every Pokemon dub opening theme song since Master Quest... or maybe Johto League Champions, can't remember).

...Did I mention how great the animation was? 7/10.

Geodude

Have the themes really been sung by Eric? My sister and I were wondering about that...

And in response to an earlier question, I think the music that came out of Samantha's stereo (and that was on her actual stage performance) was changed...I'll have to check the Japanese ep to be sure.

Chris

Old Coot
Wouldn't suprise me if it was. They tend to change music that comes out of stereos or other music players for ridiculous reasons (like in the Orange Islands where they chose to use music from the first soundtrack during a Gym episode).

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
What I find strange is that they've frequently used that piece of music on a number of occassions. I can sort of understand why they used a different piece later in the show as they've never actually used the original before, but changing that ballroom-esque theme is just baffling.
About as strange as alterting the flute sound effects in the previous ep >.>

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
CoolTrainerTerry said:
How can the main character's Pokemon learn a powerful attack without practicing it?
Apparently evolving gives a Pokemon the equivlalent of weeks of practice with an attack. Typically when a Pokemon evolves it learns and new powerful move and can use it perfectly from the get go. Grovyle and Leaf Blade, Kingler and Hyper Beam, Combusken and Sky Uppercut etc.

Also, ever since it was a Lotad, Ludicolo has been a random Pokemon. It randomly evolves to Lombre, randomly evolves to Ludicolo (or purposely if it sensed the Water Stone) and randomly learns Bullet Seed. ^_^

Andromache said:
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like that Lombre just obeyed Ash. I mean, what's the point of a Pokemon belonging to someone if anyone can order it around?
But Ash wasn't just "anyone." Lombre knew him and given the situation it had every reason to listen to him. Back in Kanto when Ash warned Misty his Pokemon wouldn't obey her unless he told them too they hadn't been together all that long and the Pokemon didn't spend as much time interacting with their master's friends as they did in subsequent seasons.

<><><>

It must be said that an episode this good only comes along once in a Mawile. Great animation, comedy, voice acting and battles all wrapped up in one terrific package. The only downsides it seems are the music changes and a brief, purposeless cut. If only all episodes could be this good!

Some favorite scenes and quotes:

Probably Torkoal's greatest battles ever, thanks to the animation. They all looked so strong, you could really feel the impact of those Body Slams. Compare it to its battle against Scizor in the Drake episode and there is a world of difference.

Gotta love Lombre's Matrix-moves.

I think this is the first episode where we see the animation change/upgrade for Corphish's Bubblebeam to rainbow bubbles, and they look sweet.

Mawile has the cutest voice, just perfect really.

Brock: "Work with me here!"

James critiques Meowth's fantasy plan more than ever, but as Jesse points out "who cares! We have nothing to lose!" But even Meowth's crazed mind can't come up with a use for Lombre...

Brock cries in sympathy for Corphish,
Corphish cries for his own cursed luck.
Torkoal cries.... BECAUSE!!!!

Ash: "No sense going out of your way to make someone like you."
Apparently this is Ash's view on romance in general, as he says it twice in the episode. But then again he is the one who constantly has some girl following him around while he does nothing to keep her around.

If only we could have seen Brock and Corphish's singing act... makes one wonder why it wasn't animated.

The moral of this episode?

Chicks dig guys who act like they don't care about them!

And Ludicolo is at once hilarious and frightening.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Geodude said:
Have the themes really been sung by Eric? My sister and I were wondering about that...
Well, I don't quite remember any official evidence of it. I just put two and two together, seeing as Eric's a singer, and the voice I keep hearing in the opening themes sounds just like him.

Andromache

Cat and Snake lover
Pokemon Fan said:
But Ash wasn't just "anyone." Lombre knew him and given the situation it had every reason to listen to him. Back in Kanto when Ash warned Misty his Pokemon wouldn't obey her unless he told them too they hadn't been together all that long and the Pokemon didn't spend as much time interacting with their master's friends as they did in subsequent seasons.
Pokemon Fan, you bring up a good point about the interaction with the Pokemon and the trainer's friends, and yeah, I guess the situation really was dire. Then, too, Ash and Brock both showed concern for each other's Pokemon, so I guess it's supposed to be one big team where everyone can command everyone else's Pokemon when there is need. I hadn't known about the bonding between Pokemon with their trainer's friends because I only just started watching Pokemon again and I remember Kanto only. It's been a long time. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. It's reassuring to know Lombre wouldn't have simply obeyed some random stranger.

And I agree with you that Mawile's voice was great and Torkoal crying was just hilarious.

Last edited:

Thriller

Its almost time
GRAAAHAHHAHAHAHHAH :X 'grrrrr *Flips table*

I don't know if its possible to supress the anger I have right now. I check my cable listings and what do I see as I go to KTLA after "Eye for an Eye?" Viewtiful Joe, that crap looking cartoon based on a just as crappy game (yes I called Viewtiful Joe a crappy game.) And being that Kids WB is being cut off on weekdays next month I don't know if its going to be possible for me to EVER catch this episode it reruns. God I am so po'd.

Edit: Ok, I now see why Joe is being played today. On Moday this episode is going to air at 3:00 PM, I'm feeling better now its just that I was expecting and looking forward to see this episode today.

Last edited:

Shadow246

FOR BRAWL!
Wow, this eppy was actually pretty good. Lombre's matrix moves were awesome and Torkoal crying, just lol.

I'll give it a 8.7/10.

;257;

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I finally got it.

I would have replaced "Ready, Go" with the tie in piece of the eastern routes from RBGY. It's has a similar pace and was played when the tide turned in favor of the good guys.