• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One good reason Ash can't age

Nekaku

I think I just kinda figured out the real reason. So many say if Ash aged kids would stop watching but I doubt that is the case. Think about it from Game Freak's angle. Let's pretend Game Freak decides to have a gen where an older character is let's say champion. So for the sake of the theory let's use Misty. Now let's say the devs age her by 10 yrs. only to have the next games back in the regular timeline or before the events of Gen 1. The writers can not just use time skips willy nilly. While Game Freak has not really done anything too drastic. (Misty got a new style in HG/SS but she was still a gym leader but if she was promoted to Champion for some reason unless the anime decided to use an anime only champion (Which would be odd)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think I just kinda figured out the real reason. So many say if Ash aged kids would stop watching but I doubt that is the case. Think about it from Game Freak's angle. Let's pretend Game Freak decides to have a gen where an older character is let's say champion. So for the sake of the theory let's use Misty. Now let's say the devs age her by 10 yrs. only to have the next games back in the regular timeline or before the events of Gen 1. The writers can not just use time skips willy nilly. While Game Freak has not really done anything too drastic. (Misty got a new style in HG/SS but she was still a gym leader but if she was promoted to Champion for some reason unless the anime decided to use an anime only champion (Which would be odd)

Misty's unlikely to ever show up again anyway, so I'm not sure why her aging would matter or affect Ash's age. The anime doesn't have to follow everything Gamefreak does regardless.

Navin

MALDREAD

They were honestly doing it fine before BW. They kept the pretense that time was passing and Ash was 'aging' because he grew to be a better trainer and became more mature and mellowed out. Heck, I felt the DP outfit gave him an older look too, even if he wasn't physically taller.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I think I just kinda figured out the real reason.

We already have a reason.

Let's pretend Game Freak decides to have a gen where an older character is let's say champion.

We've had several.

Now let's say the devs age her by 10 yrs. only to have the next games back in the regular timeline or before the events of Gen 1.

Nothing indicates Misty is ten in the games like she is in the anime. Her aging in the games would never affect her age in the show.

While Game Freak has not really done anything too drastic. (Misty got a new style in HG/SS but she was still a gym leader but if she was promoted to Champion for some reason unless the anime decided to use an anime only champion (Which would be odd)

Misty's HGSS design is an updated version of her GSC design. It's not new.

And I honestly don't see why they couldn't just change her hair.

And they don't have to show the Champion. Blue was the Champ in the games whereas Gary never won a League.

phanpycross

God-king
They were honestly doing it fine before BW. They kept the pretense that time was passing and Ash was 'aging' because he grew to be a better trainer and became more mature and mellowed out. Heck, I felt the DP outfit gave him an older look too, even if he wasn't physically taller.

DP ash didnt seem any older, it's just that you read "boring and stoic" as "mellowed out and mature".

Too many rosetinted glasses for DP.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
DP ash didnt seem any older, it's just that you read "boring and stoic" as "mellowed out and mature".

Lost his OS and early AG cockiness, was generally less brash and more mellow, acted more mature on many occasions, was at the peak of his prowess as a trainer (or at least built on it from BF), placed the highest he'd ever finished in the League at the end of it all (this coupled with following on BF win and Champions League mentions) to give the impression that he was progressing and slowly grinding his way up until the reset happened, etc...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Lost his OS and early AG cockiness, was generally less brash and more mellow, acted more mature on many occasions, was at the peak of his prowess as a trainer (or at least built on it from BF), placed the highest he'd ever finished in the League at the end of it all (this coupled with following on BF win and Champions League mentions) to give the impression that he was progressing and slowly grinding his way up until the reset happened, etc...

It merely created the illusion that he had aged, then came BW which confirmed that he was still 10, and his shenanigans there made a mockery of his "growth" as a trainer. Alas.~

phanpycross

God-king

Again, confusing stoic and mature. Disregarding that it's fairly subjective if DP was Ash at his best (BF was better in all honesty, and creating counter-shield for one battle doesnt mean anything to that end), how does mentioning the champions league mean anything for his character?

Ash wasnt as brash, but that doesnt mean he matured, it just means he was more quiet.

phanpycross

God-king
Adults are generally more boring than children.

Mellowing out generally is a sign of increased maturity.
Really? Cause Ive met both quiet and active kids, but neither were more mature than the other. Heck, Ive even met active kids who turned quiet, without them becoming more mature.

Honestly I might be in the minority here but I honestly find XY Ash to be the most mature Ash especially with the way he handles situations without getting worried and the way he helped Goodra grow out of its fears show his true maturity. Plus he shows more emotion and personality than DP Ash as shown in recent episodes.

Ilikepiex7

telling people ash's age at the start of bw was a huge mistake by the writers because all it did was upset the fans that believed Ash was slowly aging since before the anime didn't mention his age after OS.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Ash isnt the only one who doesnt age. No character that has ever stayed or come back has ever aged at all. TRio, deliah, Prof and gary oak, brock, etc. If time was passing through DP, we would see all of these characters looks somewhat more different over time.

Ilikepiex7

Ash isnt the only one who doesnt age. No character that has ever stayed or come back has ever aged at all. TRio, deliah, Prof and gary oak, brock, etc. If time was passing through DP, we would see all of these characters looks somewhat more different over time.

Ash's mom got taller at least or Ash got shorter how sure which

An00bis

Wicked Witch
... I don't even understand what you're trying to say.

Misty was aged up slightly in Generation II since that game happens chronically a few years after Generation I. In the anime it didn't really matter because the events in Generation II happened immediately after Generation I. Same thing for Unova where we also had a timeskip in the games. That didn't matter in the case of Iris because the anime took some liberties to make the Plasma Plot work.

Basically, it doesn't matter how much time passes in the games or even that we have a Multiverse going on right now because the anime moves at its own ill-defined pace.

Ash's mom got taller at least or Ash got shorter how sure which

They used to use unrealistic proportions for the adults and draw them very tall compared to the children.

As time matched on and the animators got better they've tightened up quite a bit. We've had about 3-4 animation bumps over the series.