• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One Last Battle with Ash! Serena's Choice!! (941)

Xuxuba

I'd prefer if she traveled with Cilan, Iris, or Dawn if there is a spin off series for whatever reason

I like how Iris is traveling with only her pokemon though. IMO, her wild personality is displayed better when there is only pokemon near her. She seems kinda out of place when she is near humans, similar to how tarzan felt once he was brought to the city.

If we were to get a Hoenn mini spin-off, i would love if the main characters were Serena, Sawyer and May or maybe Serena, Sawyer and Cilan, but unfortunately that's never going to happen.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!

Squirtle_007

So, Serena will take a shot in Pokémon Contests ... ha!, show her the battle May and Drew had in Kanto Grand Festival and she will curl up on the floor XD

This thread has brought Serena's development on the table, the only doubt that I have is ... is there any Serena fan that ISN'T an Amourshipper?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So, Serena will take a shot in Pokémon Contests ... ha!, show her the battle May and Drew had in Kanto Grand Festival and she will curl up on the floor XD

This thread has brought Serena's development on the table, the only doubt that I have is ... is there any Serena fan that ISN'T an Amourshipper?

That would be me lol

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
The best part of Serena's development was very subtle. In Serena's first performance, Fennekin fell and Serena went right down with her. Even Eeeve falls in her Showcase debut (It was her debut?), Serena rallies her to finish. The old Serena would have crumbled and Eeeve would have suffered an enormous setback.

As for battles? Whatever. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me. No matter her track record before the TF arc, Serena wasn't battling Lysandre. That was my problem with the Coordinators about how they were often portrayed on par with hardcore battlers. It didn't make sense. There is only so much time for practice. Of course, Contests were inherently flawed with the knockout clause. Heck, Ash would kick butt as a Coordinator. Five minutes to get a KO? No problem.

As an Amourshipper, I can't deny that the ship was mishandled. The writers treated it like click-bait too much. Ash and Serena missed out on more development because of it. Serena was hurt by its convoluted progress.

As for the 40 episodes without a goal. I was not really bothered by it. Serena still did things (unlike a red head and a breeder in Johto) in other episodes based around other characters. Besides, it felt realistic to have a main character without a goal. Misty had her water trainer thing, Dawn wanted to be a Coordinator, Iris wanted to be a Dragon Master and even May had a starting goal of traveling the world. The problem in hindsight is that XY and XY&Z is one of the shortest sagas, if it was AG or DP length, the gap wouldn't be so glaring. Plus, Korrina's quest stole episodes.

Overall, while I am more like Clemont in his geek ways, I feel empathy with Serena as I often give up, am defeatist and can be lazy. She is inspiring to me.

Was she or her arcs always written perfectly? No, but that is on the writers.

MattySadler

For me Serena has been a really disappointing character. Boring, unmemorable and just there to appease fans of "shipping".

Her goal of being a Performer was incredibly crap and uninteresting and many, myself included, said she might as well have just been a Coordinator. Well, it looks like they have decided to go down that route in the end anyway.

Janovy

Banned
Ash was actually really sweet in this episode. He noticed Serena wasn't being her usual self so he challenged her to a battle.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The best part of Serena's development was very subtle. In Serena's first performance, Fennekin fell and Serena went right down with her. Even Eeeve falls in her Showcase debut (It was her debut?), Serena rallies her to finish. The old Serena would have crumbled and Eeeve would have suffered an enormous setback.

As for battles? Whatever. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me. No matter her track record before the TF arc, Serena wasn't battling Lysandre. That was my problem with the Coordinators about how they were often portrayed on par with hardcore battlers. It didn't make sense. There is only so much time for practice. Of course, Contests were inherently flawed with the knockout clause. Heck, Ash would kick butt as a Coordinator. Five minutes to get a KO? No problem.

As an Amourshipper, I can't deny that the ship was mishandled. The writers treated it like click-bait too much. Ash and Serena missed out on more development because of it. Serena was hurt by its convoluted progress.

As for the 40 episodes without a goal. I was not really bothered by it. Serena still did things (unlike a red head and a breeder in Johto) in other episodes based around other characters. Besides, it felt realistic to have a main character without a goal. Misty had her water trainer thing, Dawn wanted to be a Coordinator, Iris wanted to be a Dragon Master and even May had a starting goal of traveling the world. The problem in hindsight is that XY and XY&Z is one of the shortest sagas, if it was AG or DP length, the gap wouldn't be so glaring. Plus, Korrina's quest stole episodes.

Overall, while I am more like Clemont in his geek ways, I feel empathy with Serena as I often give up, am defeatist and can be lazy. She is inspiring to me.

Was she or her arcs always written perfectly? No, but that is on the writers.

Excellent writing, thankyou

Gotta say, that background music is just plain AWESOME!. The regular games only music, but with a lower volume and more clear and slower, it just made me soooo happy :D. I'm gonna keep that episode saved as my treasure lol. I really liked the episode, it was quite a good episode, and I can't stop saying about the awesome background music.
Final Score: 10/10
Comment: Damn you Pokemon, you just made me happy.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Gotta say, that background music is just plain AWESOME!. The regular games only music, but with a lower volume and more clear and slower, it just made me soooo happy :D. I'm gonna keep that episode saved as my treasure lol. I really liked the episode, it was quite a good episode, and I can't stop saying about the awesome background music.
Final Score: 10/10
Comment: Damn you Pokemon, you just made me happy.

I concur. Omg I love XY's music so much!!!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I loved the performance and the development Serena received here. I also liked the way that her decision was handled. It makes sense for her to continue her skills by trying out contests in Hoenn and also to make people smile throughout the other regions before she comes back to train under Palermo.
10/10

Link73

I like this episode a lot:
- Serena's idea of the Special Showcase was great, Jessie(lin)'s included (was kind of good see TRio away of their one-thousand-episode-old-steal-Pikachu plot at least once)
- Grace appearance should be longer, but (for me) it was pivotal to make Serena think broadly on her future and the importance of not thinking on what she would lose by doing this or that.
- Good farewell scene to Shauna's Gang and Sawyer; I hope they would be part of a Pokémon Chronicles 2.0... a man can dream.
- Shauna pulling Tierno's ear not only paid homage of Misty's/Max ones, but also was some kind of DON'T GO THERE ALREADY TOLDYA NOT TO GO THERE.
- Ash's role on helping her having better times was more than OK, it was a great hint on their relation consolidation.
- I like seeing Palermo's attitude less harsh in general; maybe because she now respects Serena.

Maybe most of us shippers expected some kind of confession to Ash on this episode, but I think the ship will be ok till the end.

DatsRight

I do really like how this episode answered to some of the chief complaints about XYZ:

* Team Rocket deciding against interrupting things for another half baked Pikachu scheme and contribute to the plot in their own unique way.

* A non one-sided AshSerena moment where Ash takes notice of Serena's feelings without anything even being said and tries to help console her, again in his own unique way.

* An entertaining Serena battle (if still an unresolved one), with Serena abolishing her glass cannon status by demonstrating a 'stick-fu' battle style for Braixen, allowing her to take a lot of damage and still get the upper hand, instead of the usual 'Dodge and signature attack' spamming.

As cathartic as it is, it's also a bit frustrating. While it's better late than never, did they really have to wait till THE THIRD TO LAST OF 141 EPISODES to show this initiative? Couldn't this have been developed on during the monotonous first half of XYZ?

One can only hope the last two episodes (and whatever return appearances Serena gets afterwards) will continue developing on this, though I get the dreadful feeling this might have been a one off.

I concur. Omg I love XY's music so much!!!

Now watch as the dub makes all of it DISAPPEAR! :p

Last edited: