• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One Piece Disscussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragonfangirl

I know man, its just starting to get to the good stuff on DVDs. I hope season four does well and gets to the parts I love, speaking of which I really loved this weekends episode, had some really good parts in it. Really loved Luffy and Sanji's high five, his reaction to the Mermaid Princess and Luffy V.S Jinbe wasn't that bad in the anime though I'm honestly one of the people who didn't mind in the manga, its just nice to see it well yah know. I also loved Luffy's reaction to his new bounty, that man is my favorite main character ever!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Those are considered the currently-most popular anime/manga in Japan. A LOT of people think these series are perfect and flawless and the greatest and... And A LOT of people absolutely hate them and everyone who enjoys them.

Personally, I enjoy One Piece. I've been watching the Funi dub online lately, but my local Public Library has recently gotten the first ten volumes, so I'll be checking those out as well soon enough.

Not Japan my friend, but in America... Japan has a more liberal mind towards manga, sure they respect mangaka and worship them to an extent, but still they are not as ranking orientated as the US is. The Big 3 is a western idea to put it simple. And like Crimsonlink said, Bleach has fallen out of grace in Japan a long while ago, while it seemingly still gets a lot of fansupport from the US for some reason. If you're unfamiliar with the kind of depth off how unpopular Bleach is in Japan: It's animé was cancelled, and the writer was urged to end his series as soon as possible.

Imagine that happening to pokemon, not within the next 6 years at least. That's how big the difference is.

Its actually more One Piece, Naruto and Toriko now as the BIG 3. Bleach fell out into top 5 but is rising back up again. It baffles me to this day how Naruto is so popular right now in Japan

The OP anime sucks compared to the manga IMO. Whitebeard War arc anime edition anyone?

Anyways don't expect anime threads about the Big 3 to last long. The longest lasting one was the Bleach anime thread which is pretty much dead now that the anime is on hold.

On hold? Wasn't it cancelled completely? Yikes.. Do I feel a sense of hope? :p Eitherway... The Whitebeard War-arc.. I couldn't imagine that people would ever like seeing 19 minutes of stillframes moving across the screens. There was literally no action aside from perhaps two shots. The rest were all colored in frames from the manga made to tremble with after effects pro or something that any idiot could do. Never have I been so disappointed before, and I sat through the entire trainwreck that was Naruto Shippuden - Naruto vs. Pain!

Chopper's Japanese voice actor is annoying.

Correction: Actress...

*additional line from The Dark Knight*

I'm a short bit into the manga of One Piece but I kinda stopped at chapter 128. Dunno why, but it's been really tough to pick back up.

It's probable that the 559 chapters you still need to go through are that rockhard heavy :p No honestly, I can't understand why you would stop at 128. Actually I can, considering that's the part with the giants if I'm not mistaken.. That's not the best arc there is. The next one is good, and the one thereafter is probably one of my favorite arcs.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
It's probable that the 559 chapters you still need to go through are that rockhard heavy :p No honestly, I can't understand why you would stop at 128. Actually I can, considering that's the part with the giants if I'm not mistaken.. That's not the best arc there is. The next one is good, and the one thereafter is probably one of my favorite arcs.

Yeah, it's that arc. I kind of got distracted by other things like video games and school and the longer I wait the harder it is to get back to. Even if I read a chapter a day it'd take almost TWO years to catch up. That's kind of daunting.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Yeah, it's that arc. I kind of got distracted by other things like video games and school and the longer I wait the harder it is to get back to. Even if I read a chapter a day it'd take almost TWO years to catch up. That's kind of daunting.

If you're going to read a manga, logic dictates you read Yotsuba&!

Oh, Yotsuba, I long for the day you're in anime form... But that's massively off topic, I'm just going to leave the thread now.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
If you're going to read a manga, logic dictates you read Yotsuba&!

Oh, Yotsuba, I long for the day you're in anime form... But that's massively off topic, I'm just going to leave the thread now.

My friend gave me the first volume of Yotsuba&! and I fuggin' LOVED it.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Not Japan my friend, but in America... Japan has a more liberal mind towards manga, sure they respect mangaka and worship them to an extent, but still they are not as ranking orientated as the US is. The Big 3 is a western idea to put it simple. And like Crimsonlink said, Bleach has fallen out of grace in Japan a long while ago, while it seemingly still gets a lot of fansupport from the US for some reason. If you're unfamiliar with the kind of depth off how unpopular Bleach is in Japan: It's animé was cancelled, and the writer was urged to end his series as soon as possible.

On hold? Wasn't it cancelled completely? Yikes.. Do I feel a sense of hope? :p Eitherway... The Whitebeard War-arc.. I couldn't imagine that people would ever like seeing 19 minutes of stillframes moving across the screens. There was literally no action aside from perhaps two shots. The rest were all colored in frames from the manga made to tremble with after effects pro or something that any idiot could do. Never have I been so disappointed before, and I sat through the entire trainwreck that was Naruto Shippuden - Naruto vs. Pain!

It'd be nice if you didn't spread false information like that.

The Japanese are very conservative in their manga. They have not accepted Digital Mangas on tablets or electronic devices nor have their shonen mangas evolved in any meaningful ways. Look at their current Jump lineup, most of them are knockoffs/following of earlier mangas like DBZ and YYH. There are some new ones but they are rare and tend not to last long. The power of friendship is evident in nearly every single manga. One of the reasons One Piece is even popular is because its the next DBZ for most people.

Not to bash Oda's skill as his manga is great but I bet you a lot of money that DBZ fans missed DBZ and found comfort in reading One Piece which followed just 2 years after DBZ.

The amount of manga titles available in the US is very small no thanks to free manga online and no support from most individuals. Companies such as Shueisha and Kondasha (The Big 3 and Fairy Tail respectively) don't give their mangas chances here because people barely buy them. We don't get new series like Medaka Box and Kurogane over here. Which is why Shonen Jump Alpha was made and it barely has any manga. Only 5 series as of now and only 4 worth reading imo.

As for Bleach in Japan, that is not true about what you said. The entire details are not known but for a show to be canceled it needs to end before it reaches anywhere near the end of the current manga chapters. For example Saint Seiya was ended before reaching the Hades chapters but was eventually brought back in OVA format. Same with Inuyasha which ended at episode 167 and then continued on in the Final Act. (After skipping a lot actually lol) Bleach ended right at the end of the Fullbringer Arc, which is right before the beginning of the Final Arc. If it needed to be canceled then Bleach would have ended right after the Aizen Arc or in the middle of the Fullbringer Arc.

As for Tite Kubo being urged to end his manga. Do you realize how stupid that statement sounds? Bleach was in the top 10 in last years chart of mangas sold in Japan. Shueisha wants One Piece, Naruto and Bleach to continue on for longer, especially One Piece which made nearly 40 million units sold last year. Thats one of the reasons Naruto is even ongoing IMO as it should have been wrapping up by now but nearly 7 million sold is very tempting to Shueisha's pockets.

While Bleach has been fluctuating in the manga rankings, it has gotten Rank 1 recently.

It would be stupid of any anime studio to pass up on animating Bleach's last arc and raking in the money from the sales. So no Bleach's anime wasn't canceled completely. How would a anime getting canceled mean there can't be OVAs or reboots? What do you think happened to HunterXHunter?

BTW expect the One Piece Anime to be put on hold eventually. Filler can only stave off for so long especially since One Piece volumes come out every 3 months in February, May, August and November then repeat the months with different days.

There are 4 episodes in a month, aka 4 chapters per month for OP episodes. By 3 months 12 episode would have gone by meaning 12 OP chapters which equals 1 volume and 2 chapters.

The OP anime is on Volume 64 chapter 633/634. Volume 66 just came out this month. So by the time its August when volume 67 comes out, the anime will be done with the fighting in the Fisherman Arc and will be on volume 66. Meaning there has to be filler to cover for distance or goodbye One Piece anime. Since the anime will get to volume 68 at the same time as manga.

Well if you are confused, pissed or laughing from reading this then I did my job. :p

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
It would be stupid of any anime studio to pass up on animating Bleach's last arc and raking in the money from the sales. So no Bleach's anime wasn't canceled completely. How would a anime getting canceled mean there can't be OVAs or reboots? What do you think happened to HunterXHunter?

Gintama is a much better example, it ended to give the manga some time to get in front then came Gintama' which picked up where the previous series left off, though it has ended again to give some more time to the manga, but you can pretty much guarantee it will be back sooner or later.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Wonder what will happen when they find the treasure. JUST FIND IT ALREADY, DAMN IT!

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Chopper's Japanese voice actor is annoying.

I love Chopper's voice. Ive been watching the anime for a while, and recently picked up the manga. I considered starting from the beginning, but it would take too long so I just picked up where the anime left off. I'm around Chapter 660 now, so not long to go. I like One Piece, I wouldn't watch/read it otherwise. But I still think Fairy Tail is pretty much the same thing just better.

The Unknown Twinkie

Lilligant is so cute
I considered starting from the beginning, but it would take too long so I just picked up where the anime left off.

Haw I do that too because I just find it easier to do when you pretty know what happen through out the manga.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Are you kidding? Particularly as you're largely talking about Jump titles here, rankings are everything.

I probably misworded my post then. What I meant was that japan isn't clinging on to a concept of 'the big three'. Sure, rankings are everything, but they aren't as stiff and stuck as the ones that appear in the western world. With that I mean that if you go to Onemanga for instance, you still see that the 'top 3' are the 'Big 3'...

It'd be nice if you didn't spread false information like that.

The Japanese are very conservative in their manga. They have not accepted Digital Mangas on tablets or electronic devices nor have their shonen mangas evolved in any meaningful ways. Look at their current Jump lineup, most of them are knockoffs/following of earlier mangas like DBZ and YYH. There are some new ones but they are rare and tend not to last long. The power of friendship is evident in nearly every single manga. One of the reasons One Piece is even popular is because its the next DBZ for most people.

Not to bash Oda's skill as his manga is great but I bet you a lot of money that DBZ fans missed DBZ and found comfort in reading One Piece which followed just 2 years after DBZ.

The amount of manga titles available in the US is very small no thanks to free manga online and no support from most individuals. Companies such as Shueisha and Kondasha (The Big 3 and Fairy Tail respectively) don't give their mangas chances here because people barely buy them. We don't get new series like Medaka Box and Kurogane over here. Which is why Shonen Jump Alpha was made and it barely has any manga. Only 5 series as of now and only 4 worth reading imo.

As for Bleach in Japan, that is not true about what you said. The entire details are not known but for a show to be canceled it needs to end before it reaches anywhere near the end of the current manga chapters. For example Saint Seiya was ended before reaching the Hades chapters but was eventually brought back in OVA format. Same with Inuyasha which ended at episode 167 and then continued on in the Final Act. (After skipping a lot actually lol) Bleach ended right at the end of the Fullbringer Arc, which is right before the beginning of the Final Arc. If it needed to be canceled then Bleach would have ended right after the Aizen Arc or in the middle of the Fullbringer Arc.

As for Tite Kubo being urged to end his manga. Do you realize how stupid that statement sounds? Bleach was in the top 10 in last years chart of mangas sold in Japan. Shueisha wants One Piece, Naruto and Bleach to continue on for longer, especially One Piece which made nearly 40 million units sold last year. Thats one of the reasons Naruto is even ongoing IMO as it should have been wrapping up by now but nearly 7 million sold is very tempting to Shueisha's pockets.

While Bleach has been fluctuating in the manga rankings, it has gotten Rank 1 recently.

BTW expect the One Piece Anime to be put on hold eventually. Filler can only stave off for so long especially since One Piece volumes come out every 3 months in February, May, August and November then repeat the months with different days.

There are 4 episodes in a month, aka 4 chapters per month for OP episodes. By 3 months 12 episode would have gone by meaning 12 OP chapters which equals 1 volume and 2 chapters.

The OP anime is on Volume 64 chapter 633/634. Volume 66 just came out this month. So by the time its August when volume 67 comes out, the anime will be done with the fighting in the Fisherman Arc and will be on volume 66. Meaning there has to be filler to cover for distance or goodbye One Piece anime. Since the anime will get to volume 68 at the same time as manga.

Well if you are confused, pissed or laughing from reading this then I did my job. :p

Okay, valid points across the board, some more, some less.

- With liberal, I meant that the rankings of the manga aren't always going to be dominated by what the western civilication sees as 'the big three'. And that if the Japanese don't like a string of chapters, that a manga, (like Bleach) will go down in the rankings. In that sense, they are more liberal with their manga, while the western ranking is a bit more conservative (examplified by you bringing up that only five mangas will get issued in the Jump format for the US). I wasn't talking about manga output in that sense, but in that sense you are correct.

- As for Bleach, then cancelled might not be the right wording either. Then I'll pick 'discontinued', as it lets open the possibility for the series to be picked up again. As for Kubo being urged to end the series, I thought I heard that somewhere an interview surfaced in which he stated that he wanted to give Sado a bigger role in the Fullbringer arc but couldn't because he was urged to end the series. And then I took the rapid development in the recent arc as a side effect of that.

- As for keeping the 'big three' going and making money. Bleach has entered its final arc, and Naruto is wrapping up as well. The war arc is as far as I can tell, pretty much over with the exception of Madara and Tobi being left. So that leaves the amount of opponents to three including Sasuke. I can't imagine the manga running any longer then those three battles, one of which is already underway: Tobi vs. Naruto, although it may be cut short or left unended.

- As for the One Piece animé, while I do agree that a filler arc might happen, I just don't see it happening. As you will probably know well enough, One Piece has a 'One Chapter per episode'-ratio. So I don't see why they wouldn't be able to continue to do so. Also the animé gets their source material before it comes out in Shonen Jump, basing off the fact that the seperation arcs we saw Usopp's full episode, which had parts which only appeared in the manga at a later point after the episode aired.

- You confused me at some points and at other points I did see counterarguments, so yeah, you did your job :p

Gentleman Skeleton

And in other news, FUNimation has picked up Season 5, up to episode 336. They also picked up One Piece Film: Strong World.

They've been separating seasons according to their main arcs -- season 1 is East Blue, season 2 is Alabasta, season 3 is Skypiea, season 4 is Davy Back and Water 7, and season 5 will be Enies Lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.