• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tombello

Oh goodness... I just got my first *real* dose of the show yesterday, when I happened to be hopping throughout channels to see if anything besides "MOVING UP" was on (which there wasn't after I caught One Piece)--and I must say, dispite 4kids *******ization of the show, I enjoyed it a lot.

The dubbing (being a fan of dubbing myself) sucked a lot, but the shows animation and art and everything else--even the batched-up story, due to 4kids editing--was spectacular. There's something extremely captivating about the style of this show that I just want to see more of.

Though, it kinda bugs me that they started from the "middle" of the series, instead of starting from the first episode LIKE THEY SHOULD'VE.. But whatever. It was still good nonetheless.

Anybody else catch the show?

Or better yet--anybody watch the show off the tele and like it?

D

drTomoe123

I like One Piece.

I happen to enjoy the actual dub itself (with exceptions *coughsanjicough*), but I really don't like the edits.

The main reason I love the series is the theme, "Never give up on your dreams". Just that shounen spirit boiling through its veins. I just love it.

Bibi Nefertari

*glomps James*
To enjoy OP to the full, either read the manga or the original version of the anime, believe me...
It's just awesome.

L

Lord Lonic

^Really? My friend read the manga only for a little bit, and hated it. But then again, he likes Jar Jar Binks, so, yeah....

Anyway, One Piece is awesome. The dub is pretty god awful though (enspecially Sanji and Ussop's voices. Blech), but I still watch it just to see what 4Kids edited out. Sometimes it's so bad it's funny. XD

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Tombello said:
Though, it kinda bugs me that they started from the "middle" of the series, instead of starting from the first episode LIKE THEY SHOULD'VE.. But whatever. It was still good nonetheless.

4Kids started with episode one. You're acting like they pulled a Cardcaptors on us, which they didn't.

Here are the two comparisons for yesterday's hackjob of an episode, courtesty of One Piece Uncensored.

Everyone involved in the dub can go f*ck themselves.

Chris

Old Coot
Despite being a big One Piece fan, I'm finding alot of 4Kids' edits to be hilariously awful.

Bellemere's gun is repainted into a shovel.
You'd figure that they'd realize that kids can handle a show with guns. Seriously, kids know the concept that pirates handle guns and swords. What damn pirate uses a SHOVEL? o_O Next thing you know, 4Kids'll end up borrowing a concept from an Australian kids show, The Wiggles, and end up removing someone's weapon in favor of big, pink feather.

"SALE" on a sign is painted away, because kids can't read.
It's funny, isn't it? It seems like everytime 4Kids sees a simple sign, they feel the need to erase it completely clean or add in things to show what it is. With Pokémon, they had added text under the sign in Muro City so that it wasn't just a plain image of two Pokémon. Yet with Yu-Gi-Oh!, they wiped off "AQUARIUM" in favor of a picture of fish. Brilliant, huh? Not only are they inconsistant, but they feel kids are too stupid to be able to read.

Anywho, I have yet to see one episode of One Piece (my damn schedule refuses to allow it >_o), but I can tell that just by reading the comparisons that the dub is just plain awful. Cardcaptors Sakura and DiC Sailor Moon awful.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Edward Elric said:
What damn pirate uses a SHOVEL? o_O

Bellemere isn't a pirate.

I didn't have a problem with the shovel edit. What I hated yesterday's episode for was sucking out all the drama of the flashback and eliminating the death of a main character's mother.

What's even more maddening is that they showed Nami at Bellemere's grave a few episodes back (inconsistently edited, I might add). So if her mother wasn't killed, then WHO'S grave did Nami go visit!?

Chris

Old Coot
I shoulda specified that I was refering to the show itself being filled with pirates and that editing their weapons into the most ridiculous things is a little...stupid. You'd figure that they'd know the show would be filled with pirates considering that's the first thing we find out that Luffy wants to be.

If death's being eliminated from One Piece, then I sure hope 4Kids doesn't get a Saban/FUNimation idea and introduce a concept similar to "HFIL." >_>;

P-fan

Storm Trainer
Dogasu said:
Bellemere isn't a pirate.

I didn't have a problem with the shovel edit. What I hated yesterday's episode for was sucking out all the drama of the flashback and eliminating the death of a main character's mother.

What's even more maddening is that they showed Nami at Bellemere's grave a few episodes back (inconsistently edited, I might add). So if her mother wasn't killed, then WHO'S grave did Nami go visit!?

I think they'll kill off Bellemere, might had her died in arlong's dungeon.
she was naval/marine soldier.

Last edited:
T

Tombello

Hmm...

Well, after checking out that website, I'm considering deleting a lot of **** off my computer, and downloading some of the original, japanese episodes of ONe PIece.

That show don't deserve to be raped by 4kids. :tpg:

Bibi Nefertari

*glomps James*
Oh man, it just sounds it's getting from bad to worse over there...
I mean, there were edits in the Italian dub (which is the language in which I watch anime...) but all they did was freeze a couple of scenes where a lot of blood was involved or just change it into a black and white scene... it's not THAT bad...
And the dialogues keep up with the original... thank goodness...
As for the manga, I have the first 23 vols (Italian version again) and I just love it. None of it was edited at all... so, at least, I'm happy with the situation :)
And tomorrow the new eps are gonna start over here... yay :)

T

Tombello

This week was the premier week for it on Toonami (atleast, I think it was).

Don't worry, you didn't miss what episodes everybody who saw the dub missed (which is about 32 episodes worth, as they started out in the middle somewhere); they started off introducing one of the later characters, "Usogg", or whatever.

Nothing big. Just some VITAL INFORMATION WAS COMPLETELY LEFT OUT and WTFFFFFfFFFF the dub SUCcKKKKSfsdfaljfdafjalfa

*dies*

Chris

Old Coot
If you mean US Toonami, then it's not the premiere. One Piece has been on Toonami for quite a few weeks now, airing an hour each Saturday night.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
Tombello said:
This week was the premier week for it on Toonami (atleast, I think it was).

Don't worry, you didn't miss what episodes everybody who saw the dub missed (which is about 32 episodes worth, as they started out in the middle somewhere); they started off introducing one of the later characters, "Usogg", or whatever.

Nothing big. Just some VITAL INFORMATION WAS COMPLETELY LEFT OUT and WTFFFFFfFFFF the dub SUCcKKKKSfsdfaljfdafjalfa

*dies*
-_- It's been on Toonami for weeks now...

D

DoctorMoo

One Piece is a fantastic anime, but 4kids ruined it... espically Sanji... OMG, Sanji sounds like Dr.Girlfriend from the venture bros. holding her nose X_X

But yeah, it's great series... Sanji is my favorite character though, he kicks major arse

AdvanceX

Glacier Trainer
One Piece is freaken awesome, haven't missed a t.v ep since it came on and I'm up-to-date with the dubbed manga. I really do despise the edits the 4Kids do for it..but on the other side, I don't care too much. But something tells me (I dunno) that they'll stop the dubbing of the show because sooner or later it'll be TOO much for them to edit out.. as popular (now) as it is. For the full on action of the series, turn to the manga or the original animation from Japan. I'mm try to get a boxset off of Ebay if my price range is decent.

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
I love One Piece so much that I actually enjoy the dub XD!
I don't get to watch it subbed & uncut since the dvds aren't released yet, so I very much appreciate them airing it on tv. I personally think the voice actors in the dub are great though. They all match the characters perfectly. Couldn't ask for better voices myself. And its not just that they match the characters, they actually act!
The voice dubbing of One Piece is HORRIBLY underrated in my opinion. Yeah all the edits do suck, but when you're talking about the actual voice acting you should think about it more thoroughly before really bashing it like that.

Anyways, has anyone heard of a release date for the dvds yet? Recording all the episodes on VHS just doesn't satisfy me = /. I crave uncut one piece dvd quality!

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
BluekiKatana said:
I personally think the voice actors in the dub are great though.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I really like Zolo's voice, and Luffy's voice is fine on occasion, but the rest absolutely fail. Nami sounds way too young and hasn't delivered a convincing line since the Arlong arc started, Usopp sounds like a drunken Jerry Seinfeld, and Sanji sounds like Dr. Girlfriend, which just doesn't work at all.

They all match the characters perfectly. Couldn't ask for better voices myself. And its not just that they match the characters, they actually act!

If by "act" you mean "shout all their lines," then yes, they are great at acting.

The character who fails the most at acting, in my opinion, is Nami. The voice actor is great at pulling off the "~hee hee I just stole all your treasure~" voice, but everything else she does sounds terrible.

The voice dubbing of One Piece is HORRIBLY uderrated in my opinion. Yeah all the edits do suck,

I don't give a flying f*ck about the editing. It's the voice acting, music, and botched characterizations that bother me.

Anyways, has anyone heard of a release date for the dvds yet? Recording all the episodes on VHS just doesn't satisfy me = /. I crave uncut one piece dvd quality!

No word on those yet, but I would assume we'd see the first DVD sometime this fall. However, if 4Kids plans to release edited-only dub DVD's as well, then they'll release those first, and then wait about a year before they release the uncut DVD's (because they don't want the two types of DVD's to be competing against each other or some crap like that).

RomanMack

Johto Champion
About the Bellemere dungeon thing, I'm guessing she just died eventually in there. By Arlong or hunger or something. I'm actually more annoyed that they merged the two episodes into one. At least Bellemere's still dead though. Can't wait till next weeks episode. The beggining of the fight with Arlong! Luffy pirates V.S Arlong pirates!

Status
Not open for further replies.