1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

One Piece

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé (Hidden)' started by Tombello, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcmenX

MarcmenX Jynx's husband

Farewell Okama way ;.;

2. Dogasu

Dogasu Frustrated Elf

4Kids has the rights to all of One Piece, last I heard.

Or, if they don't, then they at least have the rights up to the end of the Alabasta Arc, if the Toonami UK site is any indication.

3. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

And the movies?

4. Dogasu

Dogasu Frustrated Elf

I doubt they'll dub any of the movies that don't have Chopper in them.

5. MarcmenX

MarcmenX Jynx's husband

or they might cut them down into episodes >.>

6. RomanMack

RomanMack Johto Champion

Well they already skipped the first two movies (timewise anyways) so they could dub movie 3, but the movie isn't really that long so I don't think 4Kids will bother. I'd say they will start dubbing the movies when the storyline gets up to sync with the forth movie since that is the first movie to actually be full length (90 or so minutes..) But you know how 4Kids handles their movies. They always release them when the storyline of the tv show isn't even up to the movies time. But yeah, I think movie 4 is most likely going to be called "One Piece: The First Movie" or something...

7. Dogasu

Dogasu Frustrated Elf

Or they could package the movies along with, say, the Apis arc, into a show called One Piece Chronicles...

8. Ralts Master

Ralts Master Knight of White Eye

And then show it in every English-speaking country but America?

9. deoxysmaster8000

deoxysmaster8000 no-one can beat me!!

wow, this many ppl like one piece.......whoa..........i started a club for this on pokemon paradice and only like.......uh......2 ppl liked it, me and miniminun.......whoa............can u guys goin there? i need more ppl to keep that club going*sigh* anywho back on topic, what did i miss? is this a club or sommat, or just a place to talk about the show? HOW IN THE H*** DID I MISS THIS PLACE!!!!!!!! this is my fav show*sighs again* man.....i need to start exploring this place.......

10. Kecleon Freak

Kecleon Freak Legendary Pirate

KF is down. Which sucks.

Random list of predictable 4Kids edits:

They'll definitely cut Chopper's past, and all its blood/violence. Or maybe the'll splice 3 eps into 1 and say that Hiruruk was taken to a dungeon.

Episode 128 is out. Which sucks, because it's hilarious, and Jango and Fullbody appear in it.

They'll turn Croc's hook into a rubber hook(so noone gets hurt)

They'll say that Pell went to the hospital(or got sent to the Shadow Realm)

Bon Clay will either become a woman or be cut entirely.

The Zoro vs. Mr. 1 fight will cut or serverly edited.

They'll cut Miss Doublefinger's Doping ability, because we can't have kids doing steroids!

They'll cut out Wapol eating people and say he absorbed them.

Luffy vs. Croc will be over by episode 100.

I'm hoping Robin doesn't get a southern accent.

They'll cut the Coby/Helmeppo arc.

They'll give Ace a shirt, because we can't have kids walking around topless!

I have more, but I'll stop now.

11. deoxysmaster8000

ok, i only know 2 of those ppl, luffy adn zolo, so who are the others?

12. RomanMack

RomanMack Johto Champion

He's talking about future episodes of the dub. They haven't debuted in the dub yet...

13. zeroX20

zeroX20 Indigo Champion

what is with the one piece dub and the puns.

are they trying to be funny. beacause it ain't working.

14. RomanMack

RomanMack Johto Champion

4Kids uses puns in nearly ALL their shows, not just One Piece. (Though it's true todays episode was like a pun overload.)

Anyways, my thoughts....

Besides the puns, today's episode was pretty good. They kept the Ms. and Mr.'s of the Baroque agents names and all of them had good voices (Well except for Ms. Monday who sounds like a man) Ms.Valentine sounds kinda annoying. (but she was annoying in the original version too so whatever) I loved Mr.5's voice. Goes with him alot and his Bomb Boogy = Hilarious! Also they mentioned the Alabasta Kingdom and metioned the "boss" of Baroque Works. For all of you who haven't see the original, you will figure out who this "boss" is soon.....

15. Kecleon Freak

... I'm a girl. But, it's an easy mistake to make, I guess...

Anyway, I'm suprised they kept Mr. 5's exploding boogers. Which reminds me, we should be seeing Robin(as Miss All Sunday) in the dub pretty soon. I wonder what her voice will sound like?

16. zeroX20

zeroX20 Indigo Champion

anyone want to make a bet that robin chawn will have a cow girl accent.

17. Kecleon Freak

I hope they don't make Robin a southern cowgirl. Yeesh.

In other news...

I just saw "Fantastic Voyage"....

W. T. F.

I had heard about how horrible it was, but using scenes from the Apis arc(with Apis cut out)!? Laboon is now an iceberg!? Crocus is cut!? Usopp had the log pose!? MISTY Peak!? The crew getting drunk on JUICE!? The nuns are changed(big surprise)!? Scenes from a bunch of different episodes messily edited together!?

When I finished watching, my first words were "WHAT THE HELL ARE 4BAKAS SMOKING!?"

They have taken a bunch of good episodes, slashed them with a chainsaw, beat with a 5-ton hammer, and urinated on them, and that is how this episode was made. It's not just edits, it's complete and total *******ization of Oda's masterpiece! This is the straw that has broken my back. I'm going to do something about this. Does anyone know where 4Kids Headquarters is?

18. Dogasu

Dogasu Frustrated Elf

Here's the episode comparison I did for "Fantastic Voyage" for One Piece Uncensored. It was supposed to be posted a few days ago, but for one reason or another it hasn't been yet.

---------------------------------------------

Japanese Episode 54: “Foreboding of a New Adventure The Puzzling Girl, Apis”
    English Episode 46: "Fantastic Voyage "

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    You know what? The Bellemere flashback really wasn’t handled that badly.

At least compared to this episode, anyway. For starters, 4Kids went in and completely cut out the entire Apis Arc, which lasted six and a half episodes. The Apis Arc is the first true filler arc in the series, and many fans consider it to have one of the weakest plots in all of One Piece. It’s the equivalent of the Garlic Jr. arc of Dragon Ball Z, and there aren’t many people who find it to be entertaining. It’s basically about a little girl and a Battleship Island and a dragon and this guy with long fingernails who’s eaten a Devil Fruit and all this other stuff that I really don’t care enough about to summarize.

Cut
    The entire episode is cut (20 minutes, 51 seconds).

Japanese Episode 55: “ The Holy Beast Apis' Secret and the Legendary Island”
    English Episode 46: "Fantastic Voyage"

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    4Kids continues not airing any of the Apis arc.

Cut

Japanese Episode 56: “Erik's Raid Great Escape from Gunkan Island ”

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    Random fact: Did you know that there actually is a real Gunkan Island? The battleship-island that Luffy and the gang encounter is actually based on an island that, if I have my facts straight, was used as a prison of sorts from where nobody ever returned.

Anyway, we don’t see any of this episode in the dub. Next

Cut

Japanese Episode 57: “Lone Island in a Distant Sea The Legendary Lost Island”

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    Wow, 4Kids is really trying to hurry up and get to Chopper, aren’t they?

Cut

Japanese Episode 58: “Duel in the Ruins Strained Zoro vs Erik”

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    Another 20 minutes left on the cutting room floor...

Cut

Japanese Episode 59: “Luffy, Completely Surrounded Admiral Nelson's Secret Plan”

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    This really is a boring arc. One really can’t blame 4Kids for skipping it.

Cut

Japanese Episode 60: “Those Who Soar in the Open Skies Revival of the 1000 Year Legend”

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    We’re almost there.

Cut

Japanese Episode 61: Angry Finale Cross the Red Line

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    Well, here we are The REAL start of English Episode 46. 4Kids takes scenes from four different episodes (six if you count Usopp’s and Sanji’s flashbacks) and uses them to create one episode.

This episode is notable for the major plot change that 4Kids makes. In the Japanese version, Luffy and the gang don’t even find out about the Log Pose, much less obtain one of their own, until after they enter the Grand Line. In the dub, Usopp’s just *happened* to have one, and Nami knew what it was right away. It took 4Kids a lot of editing to create this illusion, and it’s all done so that they can skip an episode and a half about the gang getting sucked into a whale and meeting the funny old man who lives inside it.

Cut
    The first half of the episode, which wraps up the Apis arc, is cut. English Episode 46 doesn’t start until the second half (11 minutes, 5 seconds).

Addition
    The shot of the ship that the English episode starts on is lengthened by four seconds to allow 4Kids to use it as the episode's title screen (4 seconds).

Stupid Dialogue Alert
    When Usopp's singing in the dub ( Captain Usopp, he's our man, if he can't do it~ ), he's really humming in the original. I would think that the animation of his lips would be a dead giveaway to 4Kids, but I guess not.

Scene Shift
    The whole scene with Nami explaining about getting into the Grand Line is all jumbled up in the dub, and contains just about every edit one can imagine.

At the beginning of the original version of the scene, we see the lantern dangling on the wall before we see Nami slam her map of the Grand Line down on the table. In the dub, however, a shot of the ship sailing as it begins to rain (while dub Sanji goes on about ice tea) is inserted before the shot of Nami putting the map on the table. This shot of the Going Merry wasn't shown until AFTER the Nami scene in the original version, and it lasted 8 seconds longer in that version. The dub then shows the shot of Nami slamming the map down on the table.

Then, the dub cuts out 52 seconds of Nami explaining how they may have to climb the mountain, and Zoro asking how they could possibly do such a thing. Zoro then says that since the map came from Buggy the Clown, they probably shouldn’t trust it. We then see Usopp ask for help, and Nami tells Sanji to run over and help him with the helm. Usopp then says that the current is too fast, prompting Nami to check her map again. All this footage is eventually shown in the dub, but for now I’ll list it as a cut.

The dub resumes, with dub Nami talking about the currents at the mountain and how the ship will crash if they don’t turn the ship at the right moment. The diagram of the ship entering the mountains (that has “Grand Line” and “calm belt” written on it) is shortened by 4 seconds in the dub. Everything continues well enough until dub Nami says “Well, let me break it to you then,” which was 8 seconds longer in the original.

After this, the dub goes back to the 52 seconds that were cut earlier and inserts the first 40 seconds here. Don’t worry about those last 12 seconds; 4Kids will get to them soon enough.

By this point in the Japanese version, the scene inside the ship is pretty much over, but the dub keeps going for an additional minute and 40 seconds in order to change a major plot point. 4Kids extends the scene by using a number of editing tricks to give the illusion that Luffy and the gang receive the Log Pose before they reach the entrance to the Grand Line, allowing them to skip the entire Laboon storyline to get to Whiskey Peak that much faster.
    So the added footage starts when dub Usopp says “Pull harder ” That shot is taken from much later in the episode, where Sanji and Usopp are pulling the helm in order to fight the currents leading into the Grand Line. The shot of the helm breaking is also taken from the same sequence later on in the episode.

Next up in the dub is a shot of the Log Pose (which dub Nami calls “The Grand Compass”) falling beside Luffy’s feet. A lot of people have assumed that everything from here on out is all new footage that 4Kids paid Toei to create for them, but in actuality it’s just clever editing. The shot of the Log Pose was actually taken from the episode after next, Japanese Episode 63. In that episode Luffy is standing on the deck of his ship, and the Log Pose that fell out belonged to Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday, not Usopp.

The next three-second shot of Nami (“Hey What’s that ?”) was taken from that big 52 second cut that occurred earlier in the scene.

Next is a shot of Luffy looking at the Compass followed by a close-up of the object. Like the first shot of the Log Pose, these two shots were taken from Episode 63. However, in that episode, the scenes took place outside, so 4Kids had to use some digital paint to give the illusion that the gang is looking at the Log Pose inside the ship instead of outside during a sunny day.

Next in the dub is a scene with Usopp, who then has a flashback about his father (without the word
    “Yasopp” on his bandana) giving his mother the Grand Compass to give to him. Both shots were probably taken from the Kuro arc (with 4Kids’ digital paint used to change the background behind Usopp), but I’m not going to hunt through the old episodes to find out which one.
    Then there are other shots of the characters which seem to be taken from older episodes and placed against 4Kids’ interior background. I can’t really identify the episodes these shots came from.

Then there’s a flashback to Zeff, which is basically just footage from Japanese Episode 30 that’s been rewritten to have Zeff explaining the magnetic currents of the Grand Line.

Next in the dub is a 33-second scene where we see diagrams of the Grand Line as Zeff describes the magnetic currents. These scenes actually came from Episode 63, and in that episode, Crocus is the one describing all this to Nami and the crew. Crocus, for those of you who don’t know, is the guy who lives in the whale in the episode that 4Kids skips over.

Next up in the dub is some more recycled footage of Sanji and Usopp taken from older episodes and placed against their interior background.

After this, there’s a shot of Nami looking at the Log Pose on her wrist. Like all the other Log Pose scenes, this shot was taken from Episode 63 and superimposed against the ship’s background.

Next is a shot of Zoro recycled from his line about not being able to trust the map because it came from Buggy the Clown.

And finally, we get a shot of Nami looking at her Log Pose that 4Kids placed against the ship’s background. What’s interesting about this shot is that 4Kids flips the shot of Nami so that the Log Pose is now on her right hand, just like it is in every other shot in the scene.

So, all in all, 4Kids adds a minute and 40 seconds to the cabin scene by taking clips from various episodes, combining them together, and rewriting the scene to make everything make sense.

Cut
    - The shot of the Going Merry that concludes the big cabin scene is shortened by four seconds in the dub.

- After that, a three-second scene of Luffy pulling up the ship's mast is cut.

- Two seconds are trimmed away from the shot of the entrance to the Grand Line.

Scene Shift
    A shot of Nami saying:

Nami: Would you keep your pants on? This ship is already moving with the current, so all we need to do is stay on course and climbing Reverse Mountain will be the easy part.​

...was taken from the scene inside the ship's cabin and shifted to this part of the episode (8 seconds).

Cut
    - A six-second scene of Luffy gazing at the entrance to the Grand Line is cut.

- A sixteen second scene of Luffy announcing the gang's arrival while everyone runs out to see for themselves is cut. This scene will eventually be shown later in the dub episode.

- Four seconds are cut from the shot of the Going Merry floating in front of the Grand Line.

- Two seconds are trimmed from the shot of the whirlpools right before 4Kids TV’s first commercial break.

- A second is cut from the shot of the ship that starts off the second part of the dub episode.

Scene Shift
    The 16-second scene of Luffy announcing the gang's arrival is moved to right after the dub's first commercial break. This footage is the 16 seconds that were cut earlier in the episode.

Cut
    - A four second shot of some mountain tops with black mist around them is cut.

- The first second of the scene showing Luffy falling from the mast he's standing on is cut.

- Also, the side view of the ship that has this dialogue:

Sanji: "Got it, Luffy"
    Usopp: "Leave it to us."​

...is shortened by six seconds.

- A four second shot of the gates that line the Red Line(in the dub, this would be right before Nami says We've got to make a clean entrance through that gate or else we're history ) is cut from the dub.

- The shot of Sanji and Usopp grabbing onto the helm to steer the Going Merry toward safety is cut. In the dub, this scene was used in the cabin scene earlier in the episode (2 seconds).

- Two seconds are trimmed from a side view of the ship.

- The shot of the helm breaking and Sanji and Usopp being sent crashing through a table is cut. The dub used this scene earlier in the episode to segue into the dub-only scene telling us how the gang got the Log Pose (3 seconds).

- A stylish snapshot-like sequence is cut right before Luffy turns into a balloon (1 second).

- A second is trimmed from the shot of the blue-faced Balloon Luffy spinning around under the weight of the Going Merry.

Scene Shift
    A six-second shot of the map from Nami's explanation of Reverse Mountain's currents is added from earlier in the episode.

Cut
    - A second is cut from the shot of the Going Merry's bow plowing through the river's currents.

- After Luffy wrestles his head free from the ship's deck, there's a three-second shot of Luffy running by as Erik (the villain of the Apis arc). This is cut from the dub.

- A second is cut from the shot of Luffy running up beside Zoro before exclaiming how cool the journey is.

- An entire sequence featuring Erik facing off against Luffy and the gang is cut. In this scene, Erik appears on the ship (as a stowaway, of course), ready to get his revenge. Everyone is worried because this is neither the time nor place to battle, and Erik seems to think that he’ll have an easy victory. Suddenly, Nami steps up and simply kicks Erik, knocking him off the ship and into the ocean. The gang laughs, knowing that he won't be able to swim because he's eaten the Devil's Fruit (1 minute, 15 seconds).

- Four seconds are trimmed from the shot of the Going Merry headed toward the camera.

- Two seconds are trimmed from the shot of the Going Merry climbing to the top of the Red Line.

- Three seconds are cut from the shot of the Red Line's glowing peak.

- A second is cut from the shot of the ship actually reaching the peak.

- A second is cut from the shot of the ship jumping out of the water.

- Two seconds are cut from the shot of the ship (and everyone on it) falling from the top of the mountain.

- Two seconds are trimmed from the shot of the ship speeding down the other side of the mountain.

- A second is cut from the shots of each crew member as they think about their reasons for entering the Grand Line (4 seconds altogether).

- Four seconds are cut from the shot of Luffy looking over the Grand Line.

- The final nine seconds of the episode - which shows the ship sailing toward the group's next destination - is cut from the dub.

English Episode 46 continues...

Japanese Episode 62: The First Obstacle? Giant Whale Laboon Appears

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    4Kids hates big whales, it seems, since Laboon’s story is completely removed from the dub. It’s a shame, really, since it is a touching story and all, but I guess 4Kids didn’t like it.

Cut
    - The last episode recap and title screen are cut from Episode 62 (1 minute, 24 seconds).

- A second is cut from the shot of Luffy bracing against the wind.

Paint Edit
    The whale, Laboon, is changed into an iceberg in the first shot we see of the creature (which all the characters had assumed was a mountain).
    This right here begins a number of edits to remove the giant whale, Laboon, from the dub. Originally, the “iceberg” the gang comes across is a whale named Laboon, and they eventually get swallowed by the creature. There’s this big adventure inside the whale, where they meet a man named Crocus who gives the gang their Log Pose (as opposed to the dub, where they all receive the Log Pose before they even reach the Grand Line). We also meet Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday inside the whale, who are given a ride to Whiskey Peak by Luffy and the gang.

All of this will eventually be cut from the dub, unfortunately. The people who defend this dub because “the basic storyline is the same” really don’t have a leg to stand on anymore, since we have a clear case here of 4Kids changing major plot points and altering character introductions for no clear reason.

Cut
    - A second shot of the whale in the background amongst the clouds is cut from the dub (5 seconds).

- An entire scene featuring everyone realizing that the mountain they've been seeing is really a whale is cut from the dub (25 seconds).

Scene Shift
    - A shot of the ship's rudder from earlier in the episode is placed here (2 seconds).

- After this, a six second shot of the ship bouncing around in the waves is placed here.

Cut
    - Fifteen seconds worth of footage is cut, which features everyone panicking, pulling on the broken helm, and Luffy running downstairs toward the cannon room. Because of this cut, Luffy just sort of *appears* in the cannon room in the English version.

- More scenes of the group struggling to gain control of the ship are cut (19 seconds).

Scene Shift
    The scene of the group screaming (after Zolo's But take a look at that iceberg If you don't turn now, we'll hit it ) and the fog coming in was taken from Episode 64 and placed here (16 seconds).

Paint Edit
    When Luffy fires the cannon at Laboon, the dub version changes Laboon into an iceberg so that Luffy is shooting an iceberg in the English version.

Cut
    - A second is cut from the shot of the ship bumping into Laboon when the ship comes to a stop. Also, Laboon is painted out of the scene so that there isn’t some random whale sitting there in the dub.

- After that, 14 seconds of the goat head thingee on the front of the ship being knocked off, flying over an exhausted Nami, and eventually being noticed by Luffy is cut.

- And after that, the rest of Episode 62 is cut. Basically, Luffy is ****** that his favorite seat has been broken, so he starts to attack the giant whale. In retaliation, the whale swallows the Going Merry, taking its crew with it. Luffy, whose safely outside, finds a hatch and enters the whale while Zoro and the others sail around the whale’s insides. They eventually come across an island, sitting there inside the whale The island is inhabited by a man named Crocus, who tells our heroes about the whale, whose named Laboon, and its troubles (16 seconds, 25 seconds).

Japanese Episode 63: A Man’s Promise Luffy and the Whale Vow to Meet Again

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    4Kids’ hatred of whales continues with this episode. The problem with cutting this out is that without introducing us to Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday, the crew in the dub version has absolutely no reason to go to Whiskey Peak (which is renamed “Misty Peak” in the dub). They have a reason in the Japanese version (to accompany Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday there), but in the English version, it just seems like they’re going there for no reason at all.

Cut
    The entire episode is cut, except for the scenes of the Log Pose that 4Kids used during the cabin scene earlier in the dub. It really is a great story, and it’s a shame that 4Kids cut it out (20 minutes, 51 seconds).

Japanese Episode 64: A Pirate-Loving Town? Arrival at Whiskey Peak

Dogasu’s Two Cents
    Well, here’s where some interesting things happen. First of all, we get to hear the voices for a bunch of the Baroque Works members. Miss Wendesday, Mr. 9, and Mr. 8 all sound tolerable enough, but Miss Monday is another story. She sounds like a stereotypical drag queen, plain and simple. Miss Monday (who’s simply known as “Monday” in the dub; in fact, all of the Baroque Works members have the “Mr.” or “Miss” taken away from their names in the dub) has one of the most offensively stereotypical voices I’ve heard in the anime, and I hope 4Kids gets some angry letters about it.

Of course, the party scene has tons of edits, but that’s the only part in any of the episodes that make up English Episode 46 that I would think the censors would have a problem with.

Cut
    - The first part of the episode, which features everyone sailing away from the whale and through a massive snowstorm, is cut. (5 minutes, 0 seconds).

- A 30-second shot of Zoro waking up from his nap and noticing everyone exhausted is cut.

-A scene of Zoro looking at Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday and telling them that their names seem familiar to him is cut (44 seconds).

Paint Edit
    The word MODE is painted off Nami's shirt, once again.

Paint Edit
    Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday are painted off the ship when dub Nami delivers her Before we get there...the shore of Misty Peak

Cut
    A second is trimmed from the shot of the ship headed toward Whisky Peak.

Paint Edit
    Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday are painted away, once again, during Luffy's We're here line.

Cut
    - The scene of Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday leaving the Going Merry is cut (30 seconds).

- An eight-second shot of Usopp worrying about having to stay on the island to let the Log Pose set is cut.

- A six-second shot of Usopp popping up nad saying that he's contracted the can't-get-off-the-island-disease is cut.

- Four seconds are trimmed from the pan shot of the Going Merry sailing toward the island (during Zolo's lame Appendi-frightus line).

- Two seconds are cut from the shot of the ship where dub Sanji talks about chicken noodle soup.

- A second is cut from the first shot of the villagers of Whisky Peak.

- Two seconds are trimmed from the close-up of the flag right before the commercial break.

- A three-second shot of Zoro clutching onto his swords (after dub Usopp's Show yourself, you monster or whatever ) is cut.

- Two seconds are trimmed from the Whiskey Peak's residents' first apperance.

- Two seconds are cut from the pan shot of the cheering crowd (in the dub, it's the pan where we hear a townsperson say We're the Misty Peak Welcoming Commitee ).

- Two seconds are cut from the first shot of the back of the cheering crowd (where we see the guy waving around the flag that says WELCOME.

Paint Edit
    In the shot right after that, the word Welcome is painted off one of the townspeople's flags. Which is odd, because they left the same word on a separate villager’s flag just one shot before.

Cut
    A second is cut from the crowd that features the man with the party confetti...thing.

Paint Edit
    After that, WELCOME is painted off another flag. In addition, one of the townspeople in the crowd, a nun, is repainted to look like a brown-haired woman wearing a black cloak.

Cut
    - A five second shot of Usopp blowing kisses to the people of Whiskey Peak is cut.

- Three seconds are cut from the shot right before Igarappoi's introduction.

The first shot of Igaram we see was a pan shot in the original version, but in the dub the actual camera pan is cut (4 seconds).

- One of Igaram's little character quirks is that, when he's talking, he'll sometimes cough, clear his throat, and sing a bar or two to get his voice back on track. He does this all the time in the Japanese version, but he doesn't do it at all in the dub.

Anyway, the first time Igaram does this, which occurs right before dub Igaram's Please, be our guests, is cut (5 seconds).

- A two-second shot of Nami raising her wrist up to show Igaram her Log Pose to Igaram is cut.

- The first half minute or so of the gang's welcoming party is removed from the dub. What dub viewers miss is a shot of the band, various shots of people drinking / celebrating, and Usopp impressing a group of girls (including a nun) with a tale of his heroism (32 seconds).

- 4Kids uses some clever cutting to remove a shot of Nami trying out Igaram's alcohol.

Igaram: "...to try our special punch surprise, which is made from the grapes on our Misty Peak trellis. You'll find that it's delicious So, everyone, bottoms up To the health of our new friends."​

First of all, the very first part of this dialogue, which shows Igaram coughing and singing, is cut. That's five seconds right there.

Igaram continues to talk, but he only talks for a short while in the Japanese version. If you're going by the dub lines, this only covers up to "...to try our special punch surprise, which is made from the grapes on our Misty Peak trellis."

Then, 4Kids cuts a nine-second scene of Igaram explaining how delicious the town's homemade wine is before Nami tries some for herself. She remarks on how delicious it is.

Then, we see the rest of Igaram talking ("You'll find that it's delicious So, everyone, bottoms up To the health of our new friends"). So really, what 4Kids did was cut out the Nami scene and sort of sewed the two shots of Igaram together, to turn two short shots of dialogue into one long piece. You'll notice how, after Igaram says "Misty Peak trellis," his hand goes down rather abruptly in the dub and remains that way for the rest of his dialogue (13 seconds)

- A three-second shot of the band that was cut from earlier in the episode is added to the end of the party in the dub.

Dialogue Edit
    This goes without saying, but the Meat Pie Eating Contest in the dub was originally a drinking contest.

Cut
    A shot of Nami saying that she'll join the drinking contest after Igaram announces the prize money and of her coercing Zoro to join is cut (7 seconds).

Various shots of the drinking contest, which shows lots of people falling over drunk, is cut. We also see Luffy stuffing himself, which the dub will use later (23 seconds).

- Another shot of Igaram coughing and singing is cut. Then, we see Igaram looking around at the party before smirking with a shadow over his face, showing us that he may not be as righteous as he appeared (20 seconds).

Scene Shift
    The scene with Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday is moved to later in the episode, after we first see Miss Monday. Originally, it took place in the middle of the party.

In addition, the scene is pretty much rewritten, from Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday updating their superiors on their progress with trying to follow Luffy and the gang to Mr. 9 going on about Zolo and his expensive swords.

Cut
    - A seven-second shot of Zoro being elminated from the drinking contest is cut.

- The shot where dub Nami says Hey Sanji, why don't you grow up already? is shortened by three seconds.

Also, this shot has a ton of paint edits going on. Aside from the word MODE still being painted off Nami's shirt, there's also flush that's removed from her face, and all the wine that had been spilled on the table / running from their cups is wiped away. Also, Miss Monday's nun disguise is altered, with her cross being removed and her nun robes changed into non-religious black robes.

- Four seconds are cut from the shot of Nami laughing.

Scene Shift
    A four second shot of Balloon Luffy asking for more food is added to the end of the party in the dub version. Originally, this shot took place earlier.

Then, the shot of Igram laughing was taken from earlier in the episode as well (5 seconds altogether).

Cut
    - Two seconds are cut from the scene of Luffy falling over because he's eaten too much.

- A shot of Miss Monday falling over, drunk, followed by Nami, is cut (11 seconds).

- Two seconds are cut from the shot of Usopp saying Wow, I really love this town

Also, the flush on Usopp's face in this scene is wiped away for the dub.

- A four-second shot of Sanji sleeping in a bunch of girls' laps is cut.

- The shot of the town after the party ends is shortened by a second.

- Shots of Zoro, Usopp, and Nami sleeping are cut. The shot of Luffy is shown in the dub, but it's a second shorter than it was in the Japanese version. The shot of Sanji has the flush on his face painted away (8 seconds altogether).

- A pan shot of Igaram, outside, is taken out. Wow, 4Kids must not want us to see all of Igaram, huh?

Immediately after this, there's a shot of Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday standing on top of a building, calling Igaram out by his codename of Mr. 8. They then jump down to the ground beside him. These two cuts equal 13 seconds.

- A four-second scene of Miss Wednesday asking what happened to the crew, and Igaram telling her that they've fallen, is cut.

- A one-second shot of Miss Wednesday is removed.

- After Miss Monday appears (whose nun disguise is still changed for the dub), there's a five-second scene of Miss Monday telling Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday how useless they are that's cut.

Paint Edit
    As usual, Luffy's Wanted poster is edited to get rid of the DEAD OR ALIVE text, the illegible text on the lower left-hand corner, and the MARINE logo on the lower right-hand corner.

Cut
    A scene showing Igaram telling the other agents to seize the Straw Hat Crew's valuables and to capture the crew alive is cut (23 seconds).

Scene Shift
    The shots of Miss Monday and Miss Wednesday at the end of the episode are switched around.

Japanese Episode 64 continues...

19. Yuugis Black Magician

Yuugis Black Magician Well-Known Member

4K'rap is stationed in NYC I believe.

You see, this is why 4K'rap should not be allwed to release cut TV versions of fighting Animé, it always leaves the episodes blarred with too much music and action so fast and quick it's annoying.

My God, I am surprised they didn't wait longer to release the second (TV Version) season of OP considering all the cuttign and editing they did. Seriously they need to be shot once or twice. I hope to God they don't pick up anymore action Animé. Sheesh what kind of people will voice for an Animé so unfaithful to the original?

20. deoxysmaster8000

i agree, i did see the american version of the one where zolo fights that swords guy, he got a big red X on his chest, he lost after his swords were broken, is that a real episode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.