• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One Trick Phoney! (250)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
One Trick Phoney

Ash & Co. head to the Battle Park where they find 3 trainers...with Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise willing to battle. Ash is up for the challenge and challenges them. Will he become triumphant?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

wobbanut

Team Awesome
The absolute best part of this episode has to be Ash getting beaten by James in a long, fair battle. It's about time Team Rocket actually beat the twerps in a battle that lasted a long time without using any tricks.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
wobbanut said:
The absolute best part of this episode has to be Ash getting beaten by James in a long, fair battle. It's about time Team Rocket actually beat the twerps in a battle that lasted a long time without using any tricks.

And the fact that he did it with Venusaur (my fav out of the Kanto starters)

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
Lupin said:
And the fact that he did it with Venusaur (my fav out of the Kanto starters)

Agreed. Koujiro did incredable in that match. Not only was he able to beat Satoshi in a battle for the first time, it was also against a Pokemon that had the type advantage and is one of Satoshi's strongest members. Musashi totally bombed though. XD

Alfonso

Derpgull
Hmmmm... see, this is why I didn't like Ash's Old Way of Thinking. Or at least, the scriptwriters. Ash managed to beat a frikking CHARIZARD with a Totodile. Blastoise, I can understand, losing to Pikachu, but...

...Totodile beating a 'Zard? Not thanks. >_>

James with Venusaur was AWESOME though. And it was nice to see James acting so lovingly with it. ;o;

Alfonso

Derpgull
Cybercubed said:
This was one of my favorite episodes of Master Quest.

Yep. That's all I have to say.

Pffft. Jumping on the bandwagon just 'cause I replied, eh, Cyber? :p

I loved everything about this episode. James, the battles, the Pokemon...

...but ROFL at Ash using his Pokedex on Charizard. I mean, I know it was for the kids, but you'd think he'd know everything about them. >_> And nice how NOBODY else made ANY REACTION TO CHARIZARD WHATSOEVER. Not even frikking Ash! (It was the same in the You-Know-What League. :p)

And... :0

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
This was a great episode, one of the best Johto epis I'd say. Wish I could see it again, I only saw it once...

This episode was a great one for James, shows that he is a grass preferable guy(Victreebel, Cacnea...and he really liked the Venusaur in this ep). I really like James, so much more of a nice side to him then Jesse or Meowth. This episode also proves that he is, in fact, a much better trainer than Jesse. I like episodes where we get to see James put up good fights(The Bicker the Better, That's Just Swellow, etc.)

Funnily enough, I never saw The Fortune Hunters though...heard it was a nice eppy for James.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite Master quest episodes, James is a much better battler than Jessie, she was so dumb there

bhrettzerda053

I have returned.....
This episode is one of my favorites also in Master Quest, minus that Jesse looks dumb on choosing the moves for Charizard. And Ash's Pikachu beat Blastoise? Oh yes, it happened.

firework

this was my all time fave ep
by far the best ep ive ever seen

totodile beating charizard was perfectly fine. If Ash's weak Pika won against Blastoise, then Zard can lose to toto, its very logical.

cg_25

Trainer Trainer
Good episode.

I thought Misty's comment about ash battling all three starters (Pokemon he has owned) was funny.

It's ironic how ash uses his pokedex yet he should know all about them. Oh well, everything for the sake of the viewer

katfairy

Well, he might have wanted to refresh his memory, as he hadn't faced them in battle to often. That's a good enough reason to use the 'dex.

As for Pikachu beating a Blastoise and Totodile beating a Charizard, I don't have a problem believing it. For one, Pikachu is unusually strong; even Hunter J has commented on it. Put that with a type advantage and Ash could have won even with his first season tactics. Totodile also had a type advantage, even though it wasn't as inherently powerful; I've beaten fully-evolved forms with first-evolution forms in the games, and the anime seems to make some things easier, so it would stand to reason that it could happen that way.

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I thought the battles in this episode were great. I was really surprised the James managed to beat Ash's Cyndaquil with Venusaur. However, grass Pokemon are the greatest ;) I think if James would have battled all three times he might have been able to sweep Ash. I wasn't all that impressed with the Totodile versus Charizard battle. I am glad Totodile won though. The Blastoise versus Pikachu battle was pretty good. I wish Ash would have used Bayleef though, then it could have been the three Kanto starters versus the three Johto starters. I liked Misty's comment about Ash battling about the evolved stages of three Pokemon he had (or technically still has, maybe excluding Squirtle). It surprised me that Ash brought out his Pokedex for them though.

STICKTOPIA

I thought the battles in this episode were great. I was really surprised the James managed to beat Ash's Cyndaquil with Venusaur. However, grass Pokemon are the greatest ;) I think if James would have battled all three times he might have been able to sweep Ash. I wasn't all that impressed with the Totodile versus Charizard battle. I am glad Totodile won though. The Blastoise versus Pikachu battle was pretty good. I wish Ash would have used Bayleef though, then it could have been the three Kanto starters versus the three Johto starters. I liked Misty's comment about Ash battling about the evolved stages of three Pokemon he had (or technically still has, maybe excluding Squirtle). It surprised me that Ash brought out his Pokedex for them though.
It's been a a very long time since i watched this episode. Don't tell me he used his pokedex for charizard!