• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One year later... WHAT was the point of the FURFROU trainer?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It's June 16 where I live (I know it's June 17 already in many places) and last year on June 16, XY&Z31 aired, and with it came the preview of XY&Z32 which was our first look at the FURFROU trainer. Before that, we knew from the summary that "suddenly a trainer challenges Ash" or something, but we didn't know who until one year ago today.

So, looking back, what was the point? During the league saga, I thought the point was that Ash told Everett (and the whole audience) that he would win! I thought the point was (just like to his mom in the last BW ep) that he promised he would win, and they were doing that because Ash would finally win.

However, given that he lost, WHAT was the point of the Furfrou trainer?!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
To give the viewers false hope with their clickbait shurikens..

And padding.

Spyro39

To give people false hope that Ash would win. He sure fulfilled his purpose, because people were baited even further that Ash would win the Kalos League. Not to mention that we never heard from him again, not even to tell Ash off for losing. He was nothing more than a throwaway character.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
To give the viewers false hope with their clickbait shurikens..

And padding.

I don't think padding makes sense because they could have shown more of Ash's actual league battle or of the Zard Mega showdown. Padding only makes sense if they have nothing else going on and they don't know what to show. I think the writers must have had a specific reason for this Furfrou battle; I just have no idea what

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I thought we settled on the explanation of he was there to build hype.

SinnohEevee

Marketing, by giving false hopes to the fans. That's what the Kalos League was about.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
By giving the Kalos League some hype. Trevor vs Alain was such a slap in the face that something else that hyped up Ash's potential victory was needed. The only problem was it cut out valuable screentime for Ash's first 3 rounds, but I guess people didn't care about those.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't buy into that hype since Ash makes promises all the time and he doesn't always keep them, which I don't mind since he's not a miracle worker and can't be perfect 24/7 any ways. I'm kind of surprised that some viewers didn't realize that yet even 20 years into the franchise. :[

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
To tug at our heartstrings by almost making Ash be disqualified from his last match. Seriously, eff that guy.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
To pull in viewers and give fake hope to fans...

Epicocity

To show the difference between Ash and Alain. Ash, who promises to win the League for all those who couldn't do it and interacts with someone to show his compassion against people that aren't even competitors, versus Alain, who only cared about himself (or just Mairin, but certainly not anyone else), not even acknowledging Trevor for a good battle and brushing off Sycamore. The whole episode was built around the Ash and Alain comparison as foils in that respect.

Obviously, he didn't win, but it served to illustrate the point of someone who is willing to take on everyone's burdens versus someone who doesn't care to, which is the exact reason Alain felt he could never truly beat Ash outside a show of strength. Like it or not, it's kind of obvious that's what it is...

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
To show the difference between Ash and Alain. Ash, who promises to win the League for all those who couldn't do it and interacts with someone to show his compassion against people that aren't even competitors, versus Alain, who only cared about himself (or just Mairin, but certainly not anyone else), not even acknowledging Trevor for a good battle and brushing off Sycamore. The whole episode was built around the Ash and Alain comparison as foils in that respect.

Obviously, he didn't win, but it served to illustrate the point of someone who is willing to take on everyone's burdens versus someone who doesn't care to, which is the exact reason Alain felt he could never truly beat Ash outside a show of strength. Like it or not, it's kind of obvious that's what it is...

I agree--the point of the Furfrou Trainer was to show the difference between Ash and Alain. Ash promised to win the League for all those who didn't manage to qualify and even keeps his promise to another Trainer to battle, even though it causes him to nearly miss his own match, whereas Alain was almost myopically focused on his own goals and brushed off or pushed away anyone who tried to interact with him.

For older fans who remember OS, the Furfrou Trainer also had the additional benefit of giving us another instance where Ash was almost disqualified because he was late to his League match. :p

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Wasn't the point to show that winning all 8 badges in time is something that shouldn't be taken for granted? Just because Ash and the main characters can do that doesn't mean everyone can.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Wasn't the point to show that winning all 8 badges in time is something that shouldn't be taken for granted? Just because Ash and the main characters can do that doesn't mean everyone can.

There was that, too. But I also think it was to show the difference between Ash and Alain, since the writers didn't need to have Ash battle the Furfrou Trainer in order to show that not everyone who aims for the League is actually able to earn the eight badges necessary.

It also showed just how good a Trainer Ash is, that he has been able to earn eight badges and qualify for the League in not just one region, but six.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
There was no point. I mean, we can sit here and claim we got trolled or whatever, but the same fans who thought Ash would win the KL assumed he'd do so for several other factors as well, not just based on the Furfrou dude.

Janovy

Banned
False hype.

The entire scene culminated in Ash coming into the arena and proclaiming he was going to win. Bunch of fans wet their pants and literally though Ash was going to win.

And we all know the batshit insane chaos that ensued when he didn't.

Vipsoccermaster

Everett was just there, as some posters above say, to give false hype. Had Ash been disqualified from taking too long to get to his match, I don't think the Kalos League would have much point, and Alain would probably end up really furious that he didn't have the chance to battle him again.

Everett was just small-time to get viewers into false hype, but it all turn out well in the end as Ash won and made it to his match in time.

Epicocity

Love how many people ignore actual story reasons from myself and Santomine Night...You guys do realize a character can be created for an actual logical story reason, right? Beyond hype, yeah?

Janovy

Banned
Love how many people ignore actual story reasons from myself and Santomine Night...You guys do realize a character can be created for an actual logical story reason, right? Beyond hype, yeah?
A pointless story reason that had no impact on the plot whatsoever.

It would have been better had the writers cut Everett out of the story and instead fleshed out Ash's battle against Titus.