• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

One year later... WHAT was the point of the FURFROU trainer?

Epicocity

A pointless story reason that had no impact on the plot whatsoever.

It would have been better had the writers cut Everett out of the story and instead fleshed out Ash's battle against Titus.

If you think it had no impact on the plot, then you didn't pay attention to Alain's own character throughout the rest of the series, because it explained pretty much everything for a lot of his decisions in the end.

Janovy

Banned
If you think it had no impact on the plot, then you didn't pay attention to Alain's own character throughout the rest of the series, because it explained pretty much everything for a lot of his decisions in the end.
Everett's subplot had no impact on Alain's storyline. Not sure what you're talking about.

They could have cut out Everett's story and nothing would have changed.

Navin

MALDREAD
If you want to find a deep meaning behind that sequence, then sure, you probably can find one.

Cutting out that scene would have made no difference in characterizations though. Ash and Alain were already fleshed out by that point.

Spyro39

What role did he play for Alain's character? All Everett did was whine about how he couldn't get 8 badges to compete in the Kalos League, then made Ash promise to win. However, we all knew that promise led to nothing, since the inevitable chaotic saltstorm that ensued. I don't see what that had to do with anything regarding Alain. Everett was never heard from again after the Kalos League, not even to tell off Ash for losing or to wallow in his loss like 99% of the fanbase. IMO, He was nothing more than another COTD that Ash makes a promise to but never appears again.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Love how many people ignore actual story reasons from myself and Santomine Night...You guys do realize a character can be created for an actual logical story reason, right? Beyond hype, yeah?
I said nothing in my post that indicated false hype. I just don't plain like that guy for making Ash almost late to his final battle. Like I said, eff that guy. :mad:

SinnohEevee

I wasn't following the anime back then, but I remember hearing that the result for Ash will come soon, and I wasn't surprised at how losing.
But him being in the finals was unusual, itust have been to give fans false hopes.

The directors are more likely to regress Ash again than make him win anytime soon. If he gets too strong in SM, the executives will most likely push the Reset button next generation.
Most people who wanted the first regression would be outside the target audience by then anyways.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
nothing that happened in that scene really affected anything that happened later on, so beats me why they had that instead of the actual league battle lmao.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
There was no point. I mean, we can sit here and claim we got trolled or whatever, but the same fans who thought Ash would win the KL assumed he'd do so for several other factors as well, not just based on the Furfrou dude.

I kind of get why Ash's dialogue with Everett might have hyped some people up, but as you said many fans were under the impression that Ash had a high chance of winning based on other things as well. So Ash's whole encounter with Everett seems like it was blown out of proportion. ^^;

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
He was utterly worthless. Ash just looked like a jerk. Promising he'd win for him and all those other trainers.... then lost to the Stu yet again. There was literally no point, they should have taken the time to show one of Ash's ACTUAL League battles.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Nothing, it was pointless, worthless filler scene. Furfrou trainer should've been one who would fight Ash instead of Tomo( Altaria trainer)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
He was utterly worthless. Ash just looked like a jerk. Promising he'd win for him and all those other trainers.... then lost to the Stu yet again.

I didn't think Ash looked like a jerk since his loss wasn't his fault and even tho he made a promise that he couldn't keep, it was supposed to be more like a morale boost for Everett from my perspective. I dunno if deep down Ash was even arrogant enough to think that he'd truly win the Kalos League.

Shayuin

Banned
I was more upset that Ash lost the League overall than I was about what he told the Furfrou kid. Oh, and I wish they had had a full match, not just one short bout.

Spyro39

I didn't think Ash looked like a jerk since his loss wasn't his fault and even tho he made a promise that he couldn't keep, it was supposed to be more like a morale boost for Everett from my perspective. I dunno if deep down Ash was even arrogant enough to think that he'd truly win the Kalos League.

And down the drain Everett's morale goes if he ever finds out Ash lost, and Ash is the one to blame for making a broken promise to him.

Before he started his battle with Titus, Ash made a declaration to the whole audience that he would win the Kalos League. Whether you view it as confidence or arrogance, it showed that he thought he was truly going to win (not that it meant anything whatsoever).

Litleonid

He was merely there to give us even more false hope that Ash would win a league than some of us had going into the league. Other than that, he was completely unnecessary and we could have seen at least one of Ash's early rounds if it wasn't for him.

MasterTobias

Its a trope in a lot of anime,it was more like the winners inherit the loser's hope and win not only for themselves but for the people who gave it their all despite not making it as far as the MC.
If you have seen a lot of anime you propably have seen this situation before.
In most other anime other than Pokemon the MC wins the tournament if he makes a promise like that.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I think that it was there to try and hype up the League as being something that was not exactly easy to get to in order to try to make Ash look better, as well as to hype up the League and his chances of winning it. I personally think they failed on all three counts and instead did something else they may not have intended: show that Ash will probably never win a League ever, at all. Let's hope that turns out not to be the case.

SinnohEevee

I think that it was there to try and hype up the League as being something that was not exactly easy to get to in order to try to make Ash look better, as well as to hype up the League and his chances of winning it. I personally think they failed on all three counts and instead did something else they may not have intended: show that Ash will probably never win a League ever, at all. Let's hope that turns out not to be the case.

That should have been clear since the Sinnoh League and I don't think they care about that. The first director said they don't care about the story going in circles because the target audience keeps renewing itself.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I was more upset that Ash lost the League overall than I was about what he told the Furfrou kid. Oh, and I wish they had had a full match, not just one short bout.

The Kalos League simply didn't have enough time to show Ash vs Everett having a six on six battle although then again, since nothing major came out of their short battle to begin with, we didn't really need to see them battle at all truthfully. ^^;