• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Online Features and Connectivity Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So with the confirmation of the old Gen I games transferring to Sun and Moon, there is still the matter of why they couldn't transfer beyond Crystal. The mathematical overhaul was at least one of those reasons.

There are many new numbers that came out.

IVs replace the smaller DVs.
EVs replace stat experience.
A personality value was created to determine gender.
Said personality value gets meshed with the Trainer and Hidden ID to determine shininess.
Natures exist now, and since Gen V, they are NOT determined by PV mentioned above.
There are also abilities, but that shouldn't be too hard to determine.

What ideas do you have?

My biggest idea is DV x 2 = IV. Stat experience will erase to allow EVs. Personality value and abilities gets random assignment. Natures will be neutral.

Ideas? Thoughts? Hypotheses?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I think this might be important, so people will realize why/how they are doing this:

"In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past."

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think this might be important, so people will realize why/how they are doing this:

"In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past."
I guess the question is to what degree? After all, there is that no-nature Pokemon that you just caught in R/G/B/Y versus the perfect bred Pokemon that you worked hard for in X/Y/OR/AS.

SlimeStack

I originally posted this in another topic:
With regards to the virtual console thing, I wonder if they're going to change up the mechanics in SM in a way that would mean no problems regardless of whether a Pokémon is coming from gen 1 or gen 6. If it was just a case of randomly generating whatever gen 1 lacks, then couldn't they have just made them compatible with gen 6 too? Why specifically the new games only?

It could be that IVs, PIDs, abilities and whatnot are going to be overhauled which would mean importing a gen 1 Pokémon is no more difficult or weird than importing a gen 6 one.

Personally I would be all for an overhaul. I know there are people that like what the current mechanics and think they add a lot to the Pokémon and would hate to see them go, but really GameFreak have been dealing with the same system for 13 years now, trying to add things each gen without messing up what's already there. Take hidden abilities for instance; they only exist so that Pokémon that need three abilities can have them without messing up the fact that they can actually only have two. Even if the end result comes out somewhat similar, I think it would be a very good idea to rethink the idea from scratch and do a more modern take on it all.

Last edited:

Gridiron

My guess is that the VC games will have nature's, abilities, etc established when you catch a Pokemon in the VC game. You won't be able to use or see any of it until transferred to Bank/Sun/Moon. The VC game files already have been edited to include wireless trading and Pokemon Bank information. The VC games could be edited to generate nature's and abilities as well. Similar to how a Pokemon in RBY didn't have a gender or shiny status until traded to GSC

Deadred23

Veteran Trainer
My guess is that they will remove IV's and EV's all together. The competitive aspect of the Pokemon games is to convoluted. That's my opinion anyways. Don't get me wrong the complexity is nice as I'm much older now than when R/B/Y was originally released. By the time I breed my team to have the IV's they need and then EV train them I have usually decided I want "that" Pokemon on my team instead and so I need to change "this" Pokemon to cover a weakness and so forth. Most streamers hack their team because it takes to much time to enjoy the best part of the meta game.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
About the natures: I always thought they were cool, but then you had Pokemon of the same species being different in viability. Not only that, but the natures themselves had different viability.

How many times do you see Adamant/Modest in tournament play vs. Lax/Gentle?

Deadred23

Veteran Trainer
About the natures: I always thought they were cool, but then you had Pokemon of the same species being different in viability. Not only that, but the natures themselves had different viability.

How many times do you see Adamant/Modest in tournament play vs. Lax/Gentle?

I always felt natures were a last minute feature added to give your Pokemon a sense of "individuality". Honestly you're just going to breed for the nature that you need.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
Also, Gen 1 Pokemon that didn't have access to Gen 1 TMs certainly do so now and can be transferred with said moves. The prospect alone that any Eeveelution can learn Skull Bash is pretty cool.

1quacka1

Lazy Collector
I found it interesting that they won't be able to go to Gen 6, that tells me that there isn't a way to "convert" the Pokémon to the new system. Perhaps there's going to be a "gen 1 only mode" within SM - perhaps a minigame or a battle mode that uses Gen1 mechanics, and the RBY pokemon won't be able to be used outside of that. It would get all the problems arising form the incompatibility between the two file structures, and also other problems like No Guard Machamp with Fissure being legal.

All we need now is GSC 3DS and an adapter for the GB/GBC that allows the original games to trade with the 3DS version, then all gens will be compatible with SM.

.Aerodactyl.

Gosh, I don't know how I feel about IV's and EV's being overhauled too drastically. I've spent much time breeding, and enjoy that aspect of it. I guess it's bound to change eventually though, but I'd be a little disappointed honestly.

Skyknight

I don't expect to see EVs dispelled, especially not with Super Training now existing. IVs, on the other hand...that was the pre-breeding way of establishing uniqueness between two pokemon of the same type. That is, a way to promote catching, say, multiple Bellsprout (you only had a 1-in-1,048,576 chance of getting something with perfect IVs). But with natures in existence, I don't think they're really necessary anymore. They're arguably just a time sink and needless competition barrier for the time-constrained by now. GF probably only kept IVs in G6 to maintain Hidden Power types across generations.

Which does conjure a new question--how would they maintain Hidden Power type this time, especially with G1 critters to consider? I don't think they're planning on jettisoning Pokemon Bank! But there needs to be a way to preserve THEIR Hidden Power. I'm thinking that once a critter steps foot into G7, it'll get assigned a new personality value that retains nature, ability, and Hidden Power type, but precludes re-importation to G6 (and certainly G1), while still allowing Bank usage. G7-native personality values, meanwhile, will allow for Fairy Hidden Power.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I don't expect to see EVs dispelled, especially not with Super Training now existing. IVs, on the other hand...that was the pre-breeding way of establishing uniqueness between two pokemon of the same type. That is, a way to promote catching, say, multiple Bellsprout (you only had a 1-in-1,048,576 chance of getting something with perfect IVs). But with natures in existence, I don't think they're really necessary anymore. They're arguably just a time sink and needless competition barrier for the time-constrained by now. GF probably only kept IVs in G6 to maintain Hidden Power types across generations.

Which does conjure a new question--how would they maintain Hidden Power type this time, especially with G1 critters to consider? I don't think they're planning on jettisoning Pokemon Bank! But there needs to be a way to preserve THEIR Hidden Power. I'm thinking that once a critter steps foot into G7, it'll get assigned a new personality value that retains nature, ability, and Hidden Power type, but precludes re-importation to G6 (and certainly G1), while still allowing Bank usage. G7-native personality values, meanwhile, will allow for Fairy Hidden Power.

In the transition from Generation IV to V, Nature value was assigned to its own value, rather than a part of personality value. So a similar thing might happen with Hidden Power, just like you are speculating.

Edit: Nice, I got Maylene now.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I always felt natures were a last minute feature added to give your Pokemon a sense of "individuality". Honestly you're just going to breed for the nature that you need.
I sometimes will try to land the best nature (mostly because of Sychronize), but I'm actually okay with "good enough". When I captured Regice in my recent Emerald playthrough, it was Gentle. It lowers the wrong stat, but I was okay with it.

Also, I am going to raise that Naughty Togepi I have in LG. Naughty nature is bad for Togekiss, but I guess Adamant would be worse. It still has a good Sp. Att IV.

Skyknight

Admittedly, the natures, when first implemented, also affected what kinds of pokeblocks your critters could get the most benefit from. In other words, a nature bad for battling could be good for contests, depending on which contest you were aiming at. Even so, I've seen in the weekly pokemon build columns multiple natures suggested for the same pokemon, depending on the moveset. So I wouldn't say that natures are superfluous, necessarily.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Admittedly, the natures, when first implemented, also affected what kinds of pokeblocks your critters could get the most benefit from. In other words, a nature bad for battling could be good for contests, depending on which contest you were aiming at. Even so, I've seen in the weekly pokemon build columns multiple natures suggested for the same pokemon, depending on the moveset. So I wouldn't say that natures are superfluous, necessarily.
There's that and the level of perfection people want.

I am not a perfectionist, but I don't want a Pokemon/nature combo that is terrible. I will except good secondary natures (or neutral nature), and I want good IVs, but not perfect ones.

Other people want perfect nature/perfect IVs.

I think it is sort of a spectrum, if you will.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This thread has been renamed to "Online Capabilities and Connectivity Discussion & Speculation Thread".

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This thread has been renamed to "Online Capabilities and Connectivity Discussion & Speculation Thread".
That will work. I guess I suck at making thread titles. Ha!

Another topic that is related to Gen I, but not about the different mechanics, are the cheats.

Even if Missingno. can be filtered out from Pokemon Bank, there is still the matter of the Mew cheat, and legitimate Pokemon that can be found doing the old man trick.

Does anybody have some insight or speculation about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.