• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Only A Dream

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
My latest project. I wrote this first chapter with very little of an idea and just let the words flow freely and, in my opinion, it's really good, I love it.

A few words of warning first:
  • -my keyboard is weird, sometimes the shift key doesn't work and stuff, so if you see any mistakes like that let me know please.
    -I have emailed this chapter to a few close friends before deciding to post and they said it was pretty dark so be warned if you don't like that sorta thing.

That's all I can think to say beyond enjoy!

Chapter 001 ~ 2:23

Under a tree, I find myself... I'm walking slowly through dense golden foliage... it is Autumn, but it is not for that reason that the trees are golden... it is the fires... the fires of war... it has taken everything... my friends... my family... myself..."You do not belong"... an angry masculine voice speaks... this beautiful world is falling apart before my very eyes and I am powerless to stop it... "you are the cause"... that deep masculine voice echoes in my head... it causes the earth to shudder, the earth begins to crumble beneath my feet and a new being is born... Arceus...

I gasp for breath as I sit up sharply, clutching my chest, wanting to rip out the pain I feel inside. I feel weak and sick, like I have a fever although I know I suffer from no such affliction.

"It was only a dream, it was only a dream," I tell myself, rocking back and forth.

However, I know it was so much more than "only a dream"... this nightmare has plagued my existence every night for almost three weeks now. I know that if I turn around to face the blinking green numbers of the clock by my bed, I know that it will say 2:32 because it always does. Regardless, I turn around anyway, hoping against all hope that it doesn't... but it does... it always does.

I look around my room: always seeing a shadow on the light blue walls out the corner of my eye, thinking I see a shape crawling across my rose-patterned bed-sheets, a nose tapping at the double-glazed window opposite the bed, someone rustling behind the green curtains... but I know it is just my imagination, it's all in my head and yet I can't shake the images and go back to sleep.

One can't help but cry in this situation and so I breakdown as I have done every time this has happened. I smother my face with my hands so that my mother and daughters won't hear me and come through and worry. They know not of this dream, but only because it is "only a dream"...

Suddenly it is morning, the pure light of the sun has transformed every inch of my room, turning it from the hellish nightmare world of 2:32 to my oceanic sanctuary. I feel safe again, even though I am lying propped up against the headboard, my neck and back are aching. But, this is nothing, this has become a part of my daily routine.

I sit up and stretch out my limbs, kicking off the covers and setting my feet down on the fluffy pale green carpet. It feels so soft as my toes snuggle into it.. it is so soft, so warm, inviting... my eyes close and I fall to the floor, the thud of my body against the hard floorboards underneath the carpet fully waking me up.

There is a knock on the door.

I am startled as I hazily get to my feet. I am unsure of how to react and what to do as I do not remember anything of my life for a second and it all comes flooding back, overwhelming me and locking me in this moment... but it is only for a moment...

"Yes?" I respond to the knock groggily.

An aging voice of my mother calls through, "are you alright in there dear?"

"Yes mom," I speak to her through the door as I am afraid to face her.

I listen carefully as my mother wanders down the stairs, breathing out a heavy sigh of relief.

I feel the strong urge to leave, to take myself out of my life, out of everyone's life... I feel I should not exist. I look at the faded blue door - it is the only thing that keeps everything in, it keeps me locked away in my own world. But, even so, I scan back across the rest of my room, recalling the shadows that terrorised me during the night. I feel this place no longer is mine, my life is not my own any more.

The faces of my twin daughters suddenly pops into my head - Twila, who is older by about five minutes, and Skya, who is arguably more mature. I close my eyes and study their faces and remember their lives - going to the newly built Trainer's School by run by Lucas, having to drop out upon reaching the age of ten, not being able to start their journey due my mother's health problems... the past few years have been so hard on them, so difficult. They have showed so much strength and courage.

"No," I say to myself as I tightly grip the door handle.

I have to stay here, I have to stay strong... for my girls. I take in a huge gulp of air, hold it and slowly exhale and then repeat this deep breathing motion a few more times, clearing my head, pulling myself together.

"It was only a dream," I tell myself as I do every morning before heading downstairs.

Opening my bedroom door has never been, nor will it ever be, the hardest part of my day, nor will going down the cream-coloured hall and the stairs, turning left at the bottom and heading into my bright yellow kitchen slash dining-room. No, all of this, while each step hurts, it is easy. The hard part comes next...

I enter the kitchen slash dining-room and let the warm glow of the yellow walls and the heat of my mother cooking breakfast welcome me into my life again. I stare for a few moments at my daughters, sitting on either end of the dining table eating toast.

"Good morning," I say to the room.

"Good morning mom," Twila smiles, noticing me, and gets out of her seat to hug me.

I wrap my arms around her and stare blankly at the have-eaten toast sitting on the table... she abandoned it for me, she abandoned food, life... for me... am I really that important? I pull away from her and shake my head, running my fingers through my short prussian blue hair, which I inherited from my mother and passed on to my daughters.

"Are you alright?" Twila stares at me, her face filled with concern.

Skya and my mother also approach, their faces filled with an equal worry.

"Yes," I smile and laugh, looking round at all of them. "Yes, yes, I'm fine, no need to worry."

They all smirk, my mother and daughters, and say together, "that's when we worry the most!"

I embrace my daughters and kiss them both on their heads.

"You'd better eat up fast," mother points to the tea-cup-shaped clock hanging next to the back window, just behind the dining table, "or else you'll be late for work."

My daughters hurriedly finish their breakfast and their coffees and run off through the backdoor, situated behind where Twila was sitting. I feel the need to make a mental note of their appearance: Twila is dressed in a regular old jeans and shirt, with a skirt like cloth wrapped around her waist, while Skya is wearing a lovely dark dress-suit, her hair all neatly tied up on her head and her glasses glimmering in the light.

I kiss them both goodbye and watch as one runs off to the Trainer's School while the other walks.

"Something is bothering you," my mother speaks from behind me.

I spin around and gaze at her as she washes up some of the dishes. She is standing in plain clothes, hunched over the silver sink, the warm water flowing over her hands, washing everything away, like it never existed...

"No, it's..." I pause.

My mother turns around, giving me her full attention. Her face tells me that she doesn't buy it, I can see in her eyes that she knows I have lied, the way she purses her lips tells me that she wants to speak but dares not to for fear of upsetting me.

"It's nothing, I just need to make some calls," I stare blankly at the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. "Will you be alright by yourself for a little while?"

She comes closer, placing an aged hand on my shoulder, her tired eyes tell me her real feelings while her lips spew lies, "I'm fine, don't let me be a burden, go on."

I smile and nod and walk back through the kitchen, snapping up the last slice of toast on one of the counters. A trail of crumbs follow me as I wander on through the hall, past the front door and into my wine-coloured living room. Immediately to my left is a black leather sofa, sitting just under a window that looks out on the front lawn. The dark colours call to me, their lifeless essence seemingly pulling me in closer...

"Shake it off, shake it off," I tell myself and look towards the video-phone at the back end of the room.

I go towards, pick up the green receiver, dial a number and stare intently at the green-rimmed screen, willing it to switch on and display my friend's comforting face.

"Hello?" the soft voice of my fellow Co-ordinator is heard before her picture appears.

She has not changed in ten years, her brown hair remains parted at either side under a green bandanna, her shirt a contrasting rosy red.

"Hello May," tears fill my eyes.

"Dawn?" she asks. "Wow, it's been a while, how are you?"

"I'm fine," I smile at her warm face, her blue eyes filled with compassion as well as passion. "And you?" I return the gesture out of politeness.

"Yeah, I'm doing good," she laughs nervously. "My son just got back from Kanto so things are pretty busy around here."

"Is he still stuck between Contests, Gym Battles and general research?" I make a point of taking an interest in her life before unloading my problems.

"Well, he's struck out research, says he doesn't wanna be like his father..." she pauses.

"What?" I grow concerned. "What is it?"

"I think... I think he's leaning more to Gym Battles, probably my fault for telling him all those stories about Ash when he was growing up, you know?" my friend responds, her voice a little saddened at the thought of her son not following in her footsteps.

The image of Ash, our dear friend, crosses my mind, "have you heard anything?"

"No... not since..." she chokes up, she begins to sob. "God, I'm sorry..."

"It's alright..." I gaze upon her distraught face and decide not to burden her with my issues at this time. "I'm sorry to have upset you, I'd better go just now..."

"Okay..." May wipes her tears on her white-gloved hand. "Thanks for calling," she forces a smile, but her voice is still trembling.

"Bye," I say awkwardly, unsure of how to appropriately end the conversation.

"Bye," May repeats with my same tone.

The phone then clicks off as she hangs up. We become disconnected from each other. I hang up my receiver to reset it and then pick it back up, dial a new number and wait anxiously for the voice and the face of another friend.

"Hello? Hello?" the gruff, manly voice of Brock sounds through and his face soon appeared on my screen.

"Hello old friend," the smile on my face this time is not forced, I feel happy to see someone I was so close too.

His hair is longer than when I last saw him, coming down around his neck. His eyes and face remain so strong looking, so confident. I know this man and he knows me...

"Dawn," he says my name in that voice and my head is flooded with memories.

I cry as it all hits me - everything that has happened since I met this man, all the pain, all the problems, all of my life... and that day, the day he disappeared and left her all alone... the day all our lives ended and we became the people we are today.

"Hey, hey, hey," he says softly. "Come on, sweetie, tell me what's wrong."

"Brock," I choke out, "I don' t know what to do... I fear that something bad is going to happening, that something bad is happening!"

"Hey," he leans closer to the screen. "Do you want me to come over?"

"No," the feeling in my heart lightens. "Don't be ridiculous, you live so far away."

"Just say the word and I'll be there, I'll find a way..." his voice is shaken.

"No," I repeat, "I'm okay... just had myself a moment there is all... stress and stuff..."

I didn't want him to come, it would be too hard... I couldn't... not after all this time.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you," I bow my head and hang up.

Taking in deep breaths, in and out, in and out, I regroup and stand up. I turn around and find myself sitting on the black leathery couch. I hear a bang.

"What?" I sit up sharply.

"You okay mom?" the voice belongs to my daughter, Twila, but why is she home so early?

"Ah, good, you're home," my own mother speaks.

I cannot see them, everything is black and fuzzy.

"I found her about an hour ago," my mother was speaking to my eldest daughter.

"Tell me exactly what happened," Twila demands, her voice strong yet shaky.

"Well, shortly after you and your sister went off to work, your mother said she was going to make a few phone calls," my mother explains, I can tell she is looking at me by the volume of her voice. "I gave her some privacy, finished the dishes, did some of the back garden and, before I knew it, it was lunch-time and she was just sitting there, staring into space."

I feel my daughter kneel down in front of me, the creak of the floorboards, the scrunching sound of her jeans, her presence just before me.

"Mom?" she asks.

"Yes?" I turn to face the direction of her voice.

"What happened?" I can hear the worry in her voice.

"I don't..." I put a hand to my head, I can't tell which one though. "I don't remember."

"Okay," my daughter gets to her feet, her clothes rustling as she does. "Grandma, would you mind calling the doctor?"

"Right away," I hear my mother run through into the kitchen, her slippered feet pounding rather heavily on the laminate floor.

My daughter leans down before me again, wrapping her arms around me and whispering, "no need to worry mom."

I know something is deeply wrong now, nothing can hide that fact from me.

"That's when I worry the most..." I begin to cry and shake.

"Doctor's on his way," my mother speaks as she re-enters the room. "Should be here any minute."

My daughter pulls away and I am left not knowing if I am alone or not. I feel they would not leave me, but unless they make noise or something I cannot tell if they are here or not. There is a flash and I see the stars fall for a brief second and then I am back in the fuzzy appearance of my home.

"Good," Twila sighs, relieved that this may all be sorted soon.

My breathing grows heavier, each breath is harder to take than the last. I feel as though I am being ripped from this place - images of another world keep flashing across my eyes, replacing the blurry vision of the living-room to a twisted world of falling stars and purple mutated trees. My head is spinning.

"Good," Twila sighs, the exact same way as before.

I look around frantically even though I cannot see.

"What?" I gasped.

"It's alright, Dawn," a man's voice speaks, more-than-likely the doctor who was called. "Just relax," he says as he injects me with a needle.

The then piece of metal punctures my skin... it is painful, but I do not mind.

"No need to... to wor... ry..." I moan as I am plunged into darkness...

Under a tree, I find myself... I'm walking slowly through dense golden foliage... it is Autumn, but it is not for that reason that the trees are golden... it is the fires... the fires of war... it has taken everything... my friends... my family... myself..."You do not belong"... an angry masculine voice speaks... this beautiful world is falling apart before my very eyes and I am powerless to stop it... "you are the cause"... that deep masculine voice echoes in my head... it causes the earth to shudder, the earth begins to crumble beneath my feet and a new being is born... Arceus...

My body suddenly snaps into an upright position, I claw at my chest because something inside is not right, something inside me is wrong. I feel like I cannot breathe and my body is drenched with sweat, like I have a fever, but I know that is not the case for I have been here before.

"It was only a dream, it was only a dream," I tell myself, rocking back and forth.

However, I know it was so much more than "only a dream"... this nightmare has plagued not changed since the last time I experienced it. I know that if I turn around to face the blinking green numbers of the clock by my bed, I know that it will say 2:23 because it always does. Regardless, I turn around anyway, hoping against all hope that it doesn't... but it does... it always does...

I look around my room: always seeing a shadow on the light blue walls out the corner of my eye, thinking I see a shape crawling across my rose-patterned bed-sheets, a nose tapping at the double-glazed window opposite the bed, someone rustling behind the green curtains... but I know it is just my imagine, it's all in my head and yet I can't shake the images and go back to sleep.

Nothing has changed... I carry on within my own personal nightmare...

END OF CHAPTER ONE

Not using weird ~'s or *'s or whatever with this one, just gonna end all chapters like that, tis very bold and clear that that is the end, you know?

Anyways, so, what did people think?

;440;

Last edited:

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
- The Dream could have been expanded upon, seriously. For being such a horrific nightmare, there was hardly any description of the nightmare itself.

- Why is this written in the present tense? Writing is generally in the past tense. There are exceptions of course, like a one-shot or a prologue, but an entire story written in the present tense is a bit shaky to me, and it's driving me insane. x_x

-
An elderly woman's voice calls through, "are you alright in there dear?"

"Yes mom," I speak to her through the door as I am afraid to face her.

Why would anyone call their mother an elderly woman when describing them? This is from your character's point of view, therefore everything she/he describes is from just that: their point of view.

That section would have worked had you been using third person, but it doesn't because you're using first. ... I wish I could explain it better. >>;

- Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe "Two:thirty-two", should be written as 2:32. I don't think it'd kill you to put it in number form. Or if you really want to be grammatically correct I suppose, write two thirty-two, without the colon. I really don't think it's going to matter in fanfiction, lol. But as it stands now, your original looks pretty funny.

- Whyyyy, why must you change the font on me? What did the default ever do to you? ;.;

It was interesting, to say the least. ^^ I like the change of Dawn being the mother and the strange dreams. I might end up following this for a while. ^-~

- Icy G.

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
- The Dream could have been expanded upon, seriously. For being such a horrific nightmare, there was hardly any description of the nightmare itself.

Fair point, but I can't say too much about the dream just yet ;)

EDIT ~ Although I did add in an extra sentence, just to show more of what was happening, but it doesn't give off any new info really (so, no spoilers hohoho... Santa's plan XD).

- Why is this written in the present tense? Writing is generally in the past tense. There are exceptions of course, like a one-shot or a prologue, but an entire story written in the present tense is a bit shaky to me, and it's driving me insane. x_x

Don't panic, it's only this chapter, the next one and the last chapter that are done in present tense (and, on top of that, the switch between the tenses will actually make sense at some point so I'm a clever dittle bi bi)

Why would anyone call their mother an elderly woman when describing them? This is from your character's point of view, therefore everything she/he describes is from just that: their point of view.

Hehe *blushes* I'll edit that bit silly mistake *bangshead*

Whyyyy, why must you change the font on me? What did the default ever do to you? ;.;

That was just to seperate fully the chapter from what I was saying as the author, you know? I could change that if people would prefer...?

Also, I'll alter that number (I originally had as 2:32, but the first time I ever posted a fic here, which was a lifetime ago it seems, I was heavily criticised for using numbers like that, even for time... doesn't really bother me which I use tbh).

It was interesting, to say the least. ^^ I like the change of Dawn being the mother and the strange dreams. I might end up following this for a while. ^-~

It was interesting to write it too cos I've seen, so far, every episode of the DP series (with the exception of the one that aired tonight - the Pika evo rehash thing - cos I'm UK and so I won't be able to see it until tomorrow - ie, when it's on the 'tube XD).

Anyways, I'm glad you liked it so, makes me wanna keep writing and such and so I shall. I'll try to do chapter two for next weekend, but I make no promises cos college starts again on Monday (for those interested, I'm doing an NQ in Illustration and Digital Design).

Hope to see you all (esp you Icy G, my first reviewer you *pinches cheeks*) for the next installment ^^

;440;

Last edited:

ArtekOublier

A balance...
re: story

1st of all I just wanna say how much I love this story. 2nd I wanna say well done on doin it in 1st person, not many can pull that off properly. 1st and 2nd person always give off that person feel to stories and this one definetly has it when you read through it.

Just spotted a little mistake:
but I know it is just my imagine, it's all in my head and yet I can't shake the images and go back to sleep.

I think it should say imagination there. Please always spell and grammar check stories before you post online ^^

I also have some questions... ^^ what were your reason behind making the voice of Arceus male?
What age is Dawn now and where did the idea for her daughters' names come from?
And does her mum still have that silly Glameow?

Also she may have tought it was an elderly woman's voice as she'll be disorientated from her dream and not know much most of all perhaps not recognising voices, tbh I think you should have kept it in.

Anyway I look forward to hearing more bibi ^^ clever bibis should stick together.
Anyway talk to you soon
xxx;munchlax; *munch munch* ^^ ^_^

Last edited:

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
I'll fix that right away ^^ thank you.

I also have some questions... ^^ what were your reason behind making the voice of Arceus male?
What age is Dawn now and where did the idea for her daughters' names come from?
And does her mum still have that silly Glameow?

The reason for Arcues appearing as a powerful masculine voice is, in my opinion, fairly simple - he wants to appear strong and domineering, something he believes to be achievable by appearing as a male. It is also symbolic of his age and view on the world - he is an old being and, traditionally, older beliefs have also seen "God" as being male and so he adopts that persona.

Dawn is now in her late 30s/early 40s ish (her duaghters are in the 20ish mark). Twila is a reference to twilight (the time between night and day) and Skya is in reference to the sky (where one sees night and day, dawn and dusk at their best really). I wanted names that were similar to their mothers and those were the best I could come up with XD

Silly Glameow? *thinks* oh, that thing... nah, it was hit by a bus years ago we don't talk about it anymore. Just kidding XD just wait and see if it crops up hohoho that santa's back again XD

ArtekOublier said:
Also she may have tought it was an elderly woman's voice as she'll be disorientated from her dream and not know much most of all perhaps not recognising voices, tbh I think you should have kept it in.

Reading the section just before depicts Dawn losing her memories for just a second and then being overwhelmed as they flood back into her. Her ability to instantly recognise her mother's voice shows the close relationship she has to her family (which, as many may have guessed, is a common theme throughout this chapter - a good example would be Dawn being given strength by thinking on how much she loves her daughters).

Hope this has helped in your understanding of this chapter ^^

The next chapter is almost done, I'll hopefully finish off writing it tonight. Tomorrow I'll take a moment to read over it and tweak a bit before postage.

Can't wait to see ya'll then!

;440;

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
02 Ladder Of Angels

Decided to just go ahead and post it tonight cos I absolutely loved writing this chapter and just wanted opionions on it ASAP ^^

Chapter 02 ~ Ladder Of Angels

I begin to cry again, it cannot be helped as it could never have been helped every night for all these weeks. I want to die, but I cannot think such things for the sake of my family for they need me. Without my family... I am nothing. I sit up, in my room, at 2:32 and I watch the shadows dance and the noise of the outside world, the winds and the branches and the howls of Pokémon, as they try to terrify...

"No longer," I whisper to myself, squeezing my eyes shut. "Never... again..."

I open my eyes and the clock continues to blink in its vile green numbers 2:32 and the shadows stretch up as if to attack and the noise of the winds and the branches become otherworldly moans and a rat-tat-tap as something tries to enter...

"No," I close my eyes as tight as I can and scream "No longer!"

Everything stops.

There is a knock at the door.

Silence.

Another knock and yet more silence.

Then a quivering voice, "mommy?"

I snap back to reality - my body straightens up, my eyes open wide and my senses return to their usual frame. I am brought back to myself, I am "me" again.

I gently lift up the covers, the rose pattern creasing and crinkling gentle as though they are blowing in a calming breeze; my feet land softly on the cushiony pale green fluffy carpet and I feel the cosy warmth creep up my toes, right up through my entire body, warming my heart once more. I stand up right and run my hands through my silky prussian blue hair before reaching out for enriching golden door handle and twist and pull and I see my daughter's cute, tired face staring into me.

Everything goes black...

Under a tree, I find myself... I'm walking slowly through dense golden foliage... it is Autumn, but it is not for that reason that the trees are golden... it is the fires... the fires of war... it has taken everything... my friends... my family... myself..."you do not belong"... an angry masculine voice speaks... this beautiful world is falling apart before my very eyes and I am powerless to stop it... "you are the cause"... that deep masculine voice echoes in my head... it causes the earth to shudder, the earth begins to crumble beneath my feet and a new being is born... Arceus...

I bolt upright in my bed, sweat trickling down my limbs, soaking the bed sheets. The room is clammy and I cannot breathe. I have a pain in my chest, in my heart... something is wrong within me and I must rip it out. I claw at my chest, my nails scratching my skin, my fingers slide off my body as the sweat pours from my pores... I feel sick, like I have been suffering from some sort of disease but I know, I know that I suffer not.

I turn to face the clock and I scream, pulling my hair as it blinks 2:32.

"Why?" I moan. "Why? Why? Why? Why? WHY?!"

I shriek into the night, howling as my world, my life collapses around me.

Silence.

I look around at the room. I stare into the faces of the crawling shadows that sprawl across my light blue walls, I kick at the strange shapes I see creeping over my rose-patterned covers, I scream at the noises I hear just outside me window. However, my cries sound hollow and I fear that my life is actually coming to its end here and now. These nights are so long and the nightmares far longer.

"Help me," I sob and I shake. "Please, God, help me..."

Darkness...

Under a tree, I find myself... I'm walking slowly through dense golden foliage... it is Autumn, but it is not for that reason that the trees are golden... it is the sun... that golden son of light... it has warms everything... my friends... my family... myself..."you will save the world"... a gentle feminine voice speaks... this beautiful world is coming together before my very eyes and I can't help but smile and cry... "you are the cause"... that soft feminine voice echoes in my head... it causes the earth to glow, the flowers begins to grow beneath my feet and a new being is prevented from rising...

My eyes open sharply. I am lying in my bed and my room is filled with the light of the sun. I gasp as I sit up, the rosy duvet crumpling around me. I spin around sharply, seeing a blur of blues and greens, to see my clock - 8:47.

"What?" I gawk at it groggily.

I feel... good...? It's strange, I know I slept really well with that lovely dream and all and everything seems to have gone back to normal, the way it was before all these weird nightmares began. I feel I should not trust this scenario, yet I cannot help but be astounded by the radiance and warmth I can see and feel around me.

The room is bright, the beautiful sunlight filling every inch of this, my sanctuary. I feel completely and truly at peace for the first time in a long while. I rotate in my bed and lift my feet out onto the soft fuzzy carpet. It nuzzles into my feet and I walk across it towards the door that separates me from the outside. I grip the door handle and something happens...

"Who am I?" I gasp and back away from the large hard shape before me.

I spin around this... place I find myself.

I stare with wide eyes at the pale walls and the harsh light that floods this place.

"What is this place?" my breathing grows more panicked. "How did I get here?"

Then it all comes flooding back - the crashing waves of memory, the flooding of emotions and I drown in the moment. So many images of me growing up without a father, starting my journey, meeting that boy, growing up, winning my way through the world, having my daughters, having them grow up with their father and I separated, having those nightmares, finally waking up in this place just moments ago. My eyes are wide, like they're popping out of my head and I cannot even begin to think of what I am going to do next.

"What is wrong with me?" I moan and press my forehead against the solid cold door. "Won't this ever stop?" I begin to sob.

No, I think, it won't stop... it will never, but that does not matter because in know in my heart of hearts my daughters, my mother, my family... they need me. They need me. I take in a huge gulp of air, hold it and slowly exhale and then repeat this deep breathing motion a few more times, clearing my head, pulling myself together, just as I've done every other day this has happened. Then I open the door and I gaze out upon the cream-coloured hallway. This is it. I accept once more that this is my life and I suck it up and get on with it for I have no other option.

I make my way downstairs, tightly gripping the banister as I slowly take each step one at time. One foot down, next foot down. On my way down I work out the day - when I spoke to my friends May and Brock it was Tuesday and judging by the number of dreams I've had since then... that would make today Friday. One foot down, next foot down, I steadily make my way down to the front door. The big solid door that protects me and my family. I am now faced with a choice - do I slip into the wine-coloured living-room with black furniture where, if my days are right, my mother will be watching her favourite chat show... or do I turn left and go into the yellow kitchen-slash-dining-room where my daughter Skya will be marking term papers and Twila will be out the back training, both of them working side-by-side with their Pokémon.

How do I choose who will be the best to face after God knows what. How do I decide who will be the easiest to handle. But then, I must consider that if I go into the living-room my daughters will come running and if I go into the kitchen-slash-dining-room then my mother will come running too. The choice then becomes simple.

"Mommy?" I moan quietly as I stagger into the living-room.

"Dawn," my mother shoots out of her seat and rushes towards me.

I hear the clatter of books and I am not surprised by who reaches me first - he stands tall by my side, his large oily fins cradling me, his gentle red eyes look at me over his head-crest and he speaks my name in the way he always does ever since I got him on the day of my tenth birthday.

"Empoleon," I whisper and hug him.

He lets me go sharply as my daughters enter the room. I turn round and embrace them both, tears streaming down our faces.

"Mommy," Twila sobs.

"It's good to see you up and about," Skya sniffs as she tries to hold her tears.

"It's alright my babies," I try to sound strong and confident but my voice comes out shaky and weepy.

After what feels like the most amazing lifetime, we detach ourselves from each other. We all move across the living-room, just by the phone to the second larger leather couch opposite the television. My mother sits first, then me and Twila on the arm, Skya and Empoleon stand across from us, their backs to the deep red walls.

"How long...?" I look around nervously.

"A few days," Twila puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

My mother wraps her arms around my waist and nestles into my shoulder, crying. I cradle her head in my arms and whisper to her "it's okay, it's okay."

"Doctor says it was like you were in a state of NREM Parasomnia," Skya says big words.

I stare at her blankly, the clueless expression on my face asking, "huh?"

There is a soft patting sound and my mother's very fat grey cat comes plodding into the living-room. It looks down the stubby little nose on its round chubby head at Empoleon and turns away in disgust, its long straggly whiskers whipping round its crescent-shaped head as it waddles its way back out of the living-room, its fat backside wiggling and jiggling as it goes.

"In which an individual is caught in the moment between being asleep and being awake," my daughter explains, "although, in your case, it was mixed in with random lapses of consciousness, which is typical in those suffering from Narcolepsy."

"Overall, though," my other daughter, Twila, interjects, "it's good that you're fully awake and here with us again... we were so worried."

"I know," I begin to speak.

I do not notice the immediate change in my surroundings.

"I promise it won't happen..." my brain clicks on to the change, "again."

I whirl around, my breathing growing frantic as I begin to panic. I have somehow found my way deep into a forest in God only knows where. The huge sturdy trees surround me and close in, limiting my choice of direction. Every free route is covered in thorny bramble branches or holly leaves and there is no hope. Various parts of my body sting. I inspect myself and find I am covered in many cuts and scrapes, undoubtedly from my journey here... wherever here is...

"What do you want from me?" I shriek through the trees. "Why have you done this to me?"

My knees weaken, I feel dizzy and I cannot breathe. I collapse to the ground and begin to cry. I can't think in my head of what could possibly be happening. It's too much information. I see fire. It burns! It licks away at my flesh, eating me alive. I begin to sob and roll onto the ground, screaming in pain and terror. I gaze incoherently at the canopy of Autumn leaves above me, but it is not Autumn - the trees are burning!

"You do not belong!"

"No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!" I squeal. "I do belong! I DO!"

The ground around me begins to crumble in a terrifying earthquake. The trees fall down, crashing all around me, drowning out my screams and yet I cannot stop myself. I pray that my daughters will hear me, that someone will hear me and come running to save me. A large tree collapses, snapping through some of the thorns that previously blocked my path - this is my chance!

I scrambled to my feet, every inch of my body in agony and I throw myself towards the newly created clearing.

"You are the cause!" that deep voice booms all around me and causes another tree to fall.

The large hunk of solid wood breaks through the earth and plummets into darkness. My eyes widen at the sight and I claw my way towards the clearing. I can feel the earth behind me falling through, it is try to swallow me!

I howl into the fiery storm above as I too fall into darkness.

"And a new being is born," those final words escape my mouth and echo in the infinite void I am in, "... Arceus..."

END OF CHAPTER TWO

I hope it satisfies my readers ^^ any questions, comments, suggestions will be taken on board 100%.

Thankies to all my readers and supporters *cookies*

;440;

Last edited:

ArtekOublier

A balance...
This chapter was amazing too, you really get the sense that Dawn is scared for her life, and what might happen to her family.
The worst part for me is when the dream becomes real, I was scared. The imagery of the ground crumbling beneath her and just all the dream sequences.
You've really researched this hence the scientific name you came up with,obviously real.
So, where has Dawn gone?
Will we actually get to see Arceus?
How did her daughter get jobs at the Trainer's school?
Have they already had a journey?

So many questions XD I know you can't reveal all, just can't wait for the next installment.

Also another little mistake mr clever bibi XD

I kick at the strange shapes I see creeping over my rose-patterned covers, a scream at the noises I hear just outside me window.

should be I scream there I think.

anyway all good ^^ can't wait for more ^.^

Last edited:

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
I'll fix that right away ^^ if there's any more mistakes people, please let me know (I'm a perfectionist and I want my work to be perfect, spelling and grammar wise anyways).

So, where has Dawn gone?
Will we actually get to see Arceus?
How did her daughter get jobs at the Trainer's school?
Have they already had a journey?

With regards to Dawn's location and whether or not we'll see Arceus... you'll just have to read on and see ho ho ho santa XD

All I'll say about the third question is that you'll get to find out more about Dawn's daughters - Twila and Skya - in the next chapter.

As stated in the first chapter - Twila and Skya went to the Trainer's School in Twinleaf Town until reaching the age of ten, but they could not go on a journey due to their grandmother's health problems (they had to stay home to help out their mother, Dawn). Beyond that you'll just need to wait and see what Chapter Three reveals.

For those interested, Chapter Three is going to be called A Living Nightmare. Speculation is more than welcome ^^

;440;

Manaphyman

Up all night
I've read the first two chapters...and I must say, you have rave reviews coming your way.

They were quite dark and mysterious, scary even. You did a very nice job at setting the tone and capturing the imagery of the dream, although it would have been nice to have it a little longer. Emotions and feelings were conveyed in an excellent matter throughout both chapters, and description was, as expected, flawless.

I thought the second chapter was a tad short..but meh, thats just me. The plot line is still a tad fuzzy and confusing, but thats only because we're 2 chapters into it, so I don't blame you in the least. I can't wait to read more about Twila and these horrific dreams plauging her.

I do like the fact that the anime characters are all here, but be careful with them. Make sure they arent overused or corny, they're personalities have to fit in right with the story. (Something you have done so far, so I'm not too woried about this. Just something worth mentioning.)

All in all, quality work from SP, quite an amusing and dark read, and even though I'm on my way out, I'll stick around this fic and review it.

~MM

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Rave reviews? WOOHOO!!! *givesoutcookies*

Thank you... your first paragraph there made my eyes water a little bit *sniffles* I thought about extending the dream sequence further but decided to leave it as a short sequence for two reasons:

1. I didn't want it to be too long as it was repeated several times throughout these chapters and I didn't want it taking up too much of the space and over-powering the chapter, you know?

2. As seen at the end of Chapter Two Ladder Of Angels, the dream sequence eventually came true and so I didn't want it being too long for the sake of that final scene at the end of that chapter - to do it any longer would've meant making that final scene longer, which would only drag-out what Dawn was experiencing and I didn't want to do that unnecessarily.

Hope my reasons make sense ^^

All I'll say is that the main plot will begin in the next chapter. I think the best way to look at is that these first two chapters just set up the main story (kind-of like an enlongated Prologue). Also, Twila isn't having the dreams - Dawn is having these dream, Twila and Skya are Dawn's twin daughters (just thought I'd clarify that).

Thankies for choosing to stick around for me and my latest piece. I hope it lives up to the reviews it's been getting ^^

;440;

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
This is really intresting. I like how you gie only some information, just enough for the reader to not be completely lost, but little enough to keep the reader intrested and eager. You've got a good style. Is the soft, claming vioce in the new dream Mew? That's the mental image I got. Mew or Cresselia.
;151;

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
This is really intresting. I like how you gie only some information, just enough for the reader to not be completely lost, but little enough to keep the reader intrested and eager. You've got a good style. Is the soft, claming vioce in the new dream Mew? That's the mental image I got. Mew or Cresselia.
;151;

Yay! Another reader! *morecookies*

I'm glad that's how you've viewed this fic. It was my intention to only give away so much before cutting you off in the hopes that people will come back to get that little bit more information. However, in saying that, (hope this doesn't spoil anything for anyone), as I'm sure there is with every fic, there will be some chapters that aren't really relevant to the main story (such as a chapter focusing solely on character development or just like a random filler that, while it does have its use, the main story would function without it). Anyways, I am happy that I was able to put that across quite well. thank you for pointing it out ^^

All I'll say is that you'll just have to keep reading to find out who that calming voice belongs to... although, if you'd like, ya'll could speculate ^^ I really enjoy seeing people's ideas on what is going to happen.

Thankies for your comments Mewmie (love the name btw), they are greatly appreciated ^^

Before I go, I wanna point out two things:

1. The banner that now makes my sig - the girl on the left is Twila, the girl on the right is Skya. Just thought I'd point them out so that you've all got an idea of what they look like.

2. The next chapter, which should please some folks, will be written in third person.

;440;

Last edited:

Manaphyman

Up all night
Ah yes, sorry about that. I re-read this not long ago and noticed there are some...'family connections' I mistook. Sorry about that.

I gotcha on the length, happens to me all the time.

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
Oh, and also, is this PearlShipping? Meaning is Ash the father of the twins? Is that why Dawn crys so much about it? I don't know if you'll tell this or not, I just thought I'd give it a shot. And thanks! It's a long story, but basically, I'm a shiny Mew named Mewmie (duh! a retarded kit would know that). I don't mind 3rd person, or fillers. The PoV doesn't matter to me, and you can fill away! Can't wait for more! :D
;151;

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Oh, and also, is this PearlShipping? Meaning is Ash the father of the twins? Is that why Dawn crys so much about it? I don't know if you'll tell this or not, I just thought I'd give it a shot. And thanks! It's a long story, but basically, I'm a shiny Mew named Mewmie (duh! a retarded kit would know that). I don't mind 3rd person, or fillers. The PoV doesn't matter to me, and you can fill away! Can't wait for more! :D
;151;

Consider that in the first chapter May also get really upset at the mention of Ash, so, logically, the answer to that would be no, Ash is not their father. Although I could just be misleading you XD

As I said in a previous post, the next chapter will deal a lot with Twila and Skya, you'll get to really get your claws into them in Chapter Three A Living Nightmare. As for the thing with Ash... we'll just have to wait and see :p

That's good. I'm glad the PoV doesn't matter to you. I do respect that PoV is an important aspect of any piece of writing but, at the same time, it must be acknowledged that it's not really that important, particularly in a fic like this - it's the story that matters more than anything. Yes, the way that story is told will change it slightly, but the story will get told one way or another and that's really the whole point.

Also, to comment on a point of Manaphyman's that I missed earlier - the length of the second chapter. I felt it was coming up short a tad as well, but, at the same time, I'd acheived what I wanted to achieve within that short space and that was all that really mattered in the end and so I did not see any point in striving to find ways to lengthy it that would be, overall, relatively non-relevant to the chapter.

Thank you again, both to you Manaphyman and Mewmie, for your comments ^^

;440;

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Chapter 03 ~ A Living Nightmare

Oakies, I'm back - sorry it's a little late, just had a lot of college and life-stuff to deal with, but it's all gooooooooood ^.^

A quick note, well two quick notes - there is some minor swearing in this chapter and, just a detail on when it takes place, this chapter primarily follows on from the final events of the last chapter, detailing what happened during the time when Dawn shifted from her home to the forest.

Also, this is the first and hopefully the only chapter to feature a break (as in "~~~~~~~").

I won't say any more than that ^.^

Chapter 03 ~ A Living Nightmare

A rather tall young woman was sitting quite happily in a bright yellow kitchen. She was not terribly aware of her surroundings because that's just the type of person this girl was. She was marking papers - essays specifically, her senior class at the Trainer's School (a class that she invented), they had to write a short essay on the ethics of Pokémon, which includes basic habitat information, food, proper care, etc...

"It's really basic stuff," she moaned. "how could he get that one wrong? It's not like I'm asking a lot of these people, just the basics..." she begins to second-guess herself, "or am I?"

There was a noise just outside the door and she suddenly looked up, her very long prussian blue hair flying up as she sharply raised her head.

"Mommy?" a quiet moaning voice spoke.

The girl immediately rose to her feet, but before she could really move, a large blue blur whizzed past her, quickly followed by the equally fuzzy image of her sister. As the pair passed, the books and the papers the girl was working with clatter to the floor. The girl moved through to the living-room last, passing the solid burnt sienna door as she did.

Upon entering the living-room she is greeted by the sight of her mother - a woman shorter than herself, with shoulder length hair, of the same colour as her own, curling around the back of her head... just like her grandmother's used to be...

Dawn turned around sharply to face her daughters, stepping away slightly from the large dark blue penguin she had been nuzzling in to.

"Mommy," the girl's sister sobs.

"It's good to see you up and about," the girl fought back tears as she spoke.

"It's alright my babies," Dawn turned to her daughters and embraced them, her body shaking as much as her voice.

A long time passed, but no-one cared - they just wanted to be there with their mother and be comforted in the fact that she was finally well enough to see them. After a little bit longer, dawn unhappily pulled herself away from her daughters and motioned towards the couch on the opposite end of the room. Dawn, the girl's sister and their grandmother all sat down on the black leather sofa, while the girl and the Empoleon stood across from them, their backs to the deep red walls.

"How long?" Dawn asked, looking around the room into the eyes of everyone.

"A few days," Twila, the girl's sister, responded.

Twila stretched out her thin but muscular arm and placed a firm reassuring hand on her mothers shoulder. The girls' grandmother - Johanna - wrapped her arms around her daughter (sitting on her left on the couch) and began to sob. dawn cradled her mother's head in her arms, gently stroking her cheek and whispering, "it's okay, it's okay."

"Doctor says it was like you were in a state of NREM Parasomnia," the girl finally spoke, she used big words due to her profession as a theory-based teacher.

Dawn gawked at her and uttered the sound of, "huh?"

Rather suddenly, a very fat grey cat plodded its way through into the living-room the girls were in, its padded feet making a patting sound on the floor. It scanned the room, looking down its nose at everyone before singling out the large dark penguin. The Purugly then turned its head in disgust, the long straggly whiskers on its nose whipped around its crescent-shaped head as it rotated and waddled away. As it traipsed away, its big fat backside jiggled and wiggled.

The girl turned back to face her mother, immediately trying to forget that incident.

"In which an individual is caught in the moment between being asleep and being awake," the girl elucidated, "although, in your case, it was mixed in with random lapses of consciousness, which is typical in those suffering from Narcolepsy."

"Overall though," the girls sister interjected, ""it's good that you're fully awake and here with us again... we were so worried."

"I know," Dawn began to speak but fell back in her chair.

"Mommy!" Twila shrieked and collapsed off her perch on the arm of the couch to hold her mother. "Mommy?" she moaned.

Johanna immediately rose, moving back to allow her granddaughters to make their examinations. She raised her hands to her mouth like she was praying, then lowered them to her chest, then they made their way through her thinning grey hair and then back to cover her mouth.

The girl bolted forward, dashing onto her knees and bending over her mother - listening to her heartbeat, checking her pulse, shaking her, trying to wake her.

"Mommy?" Twila began to sob.

"Call the doctor," the girl commanded her sister.

Twila did not respond, she continued to shake their mother and scream and sob, "Mommy? Mommy? MOMMY?!"

The girl snatched Twila's arm, gripping her tightly as she spoke through her teeth, "get on that phone and get the damn doctor here NOW!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girl held the green receiver of the phone in her right hand as she waited for her call to get through all the electrical traffic. Her face was cold with sick and sweat, her eyes were filled with determination as she willed the call to come through.

"Professor Lucas Lux here, how can I help?" a strong masculine voice that was not very deep was heard through the receiver.

His picture then appeared on-screen - he had short spiky Prussian blue hair and was wearing a black shirt hidden under a white lab-coat.

"Daddy?" the girl smiled as she saw his face.

"Skya, my angel, is everything all right? You look terrible!" Lucas gasped upon seeing his daughter's pasty face.

"Daddy?" Skya's voice quivered as she broke down in tears.

Her father stared in silence, his deep blue eyes reflecting the pain in his heart - he never knew how to react in these kinds of situations, he never was around much when the girls were growing up and was more used to dealing with them on a more mature and professional level.

"I'm sorry," Skya sniffed as she wiped her eyes and her nose on her hands. "I shouldn't have..."

"It's alright," Lucas cut her off and smiled. "What's up my angel?"

"It's mother, she's taken ill again," Skya explained. "She just collapsed and we don't know what to do, the doctor says there's nothing really he can do and," she broke off in tears again.

Lucas could not bear the sounds of her sobs. He felt like he was watching her die and there was nothing he could do to help her. But, then...

"Gardevoir," Lucas blurted out.

Skya snapped out of the thoughts of her mother's condition and looked up at her father, her eyes heavy and red.

"What about her?" Skya ask in a low voice, almost angry at the suggestion as she knew fine what he was thinking for she had already considered it on some level.

"Her hypnosis abilities, her unique attribute to read and share in the feelings of others..." he paused for a moment to allow the idea to sink in and then continued in a softer tone, "Gardevoir may be able to share it with her, split the pain and take some of the burden off your mother."

"No," Skya rose and moved away from the screen, talking over her father. "I don't want to hear it."

"Possibly even soothe her," Lucas's voice grew more desperate. "Please, angel, please just listen."

"NO!" Skya shouted as she slammed her hands down on the table the phone was perched on. "Gardevoir is... Gardevoir..." her voice shook violently as she held back tears of rage and sorrow. "While I love my mother more than anything, that Gardevoir is like my child - I raised her from an egg and we have been together for eight years. There is no way I am going to endanger her..." she sat back down on the leather chair in front of the desk and spoke sensitively. "Mom wouldn't want it, especially not after..." she trailed off.

Both Lucas and Skya knew exactly what she was speaking of - Skya and Twila both had to sacrifice their lives as trainers to help take care of their Grandmother Johanna and, while they did not mind it nor would they change that decision, they knew that it was something their mother always regretted on some level.

"I'm sorry," Lucas looked down at his feet. "I shouldn't have... we'll talk later, angel, I love you," he looked deep into her eyes, "you, your sister, Johanna and Dawn, my peppermint sweetie..." his eyes filled with tears. "We'll speak soon, I love you, goodbye."

"Bye dad," Skya sighed, feeling horrendously guilty.

The image of her father's clear and chiselled face was sucked into a white dot at the centre of the blank screen as the phones disconnected. Skya hung up her receiver, rose from the chair and gazed around the room. It was a wine red and while it always reminded her mother of good times out with "the girls", it always reminded Skya of blood. She reminisced on a discussion she had with her mother regarding the colour of the walls, which took place around six or seven years ago...

"Mommy," Skya, young and fresh-faced even after a hard day, asked her mother in the most serious voice you'd ever hear. "Why did you paint the walls red?"

"It's wine-red, actually," Dawn smiled. "It reminds me of all those good times when I was young, just a little older than you, nights out in Veilstone City, just the girls and... well, the rest you'll hear when you're a little older," she giggled and went back to the newspaper she was reading.

Skya stared at her mother, sitting on the black leather sofa, reading the newspaper.

"I hate it," she said venomously. "I think it's disgusting."

Dawn immediately dropped her paper, it crumpled on the floor, pages falling out all over. She moved very quickly over to her daughter and wrapped her arms around her.

"It's alright, it's alright," she spoke in a soft, soothing voice. "Talk to me, tell me why you hate it," Dawn smiled as she pulled away from her daughter.

"It looks like blood," Skya said bluntly. "It looks like you killed someone and then had that crazy purple monkey smear it all over the walls, rubbing it in to every bloody inch of our life!"

"Hey!" Dawn snapped. "Don't talk to me like that young lady, you know better."

Skya sighed heavily and crossed her arms over her chest, pouting and glaring at the wall across from her mother.

"I don't speak to you like that so you don't speak to me like that, alright?" Dawn spoke calmly, trying to clear the air.

Skya sighed again, her face clearly showing that her mood was lifting slightly as she knew she couldn't argue against that.

"Consider," Dawn spoke matter-of-factly, "if it's blood, it's the blood of our family that's in these walls... it's you, it's me, your sister, Grandma and even your father and all of our Pokémon... this house is us, the blood you see on these walls is us, it represents our unbreakable bond as a family and nothing will ever wash it away..."

"I promise," Skya whispered to herself, her voice low and yet filled with strength, "I will find out what is wrong with you and I will fix it."

Upon saying that, Skya walked out of the bloody living-room, passing by the solid red door and made her way up the stairs. Her mind was focused solely on making it up these stairs, then going into her mother's room and making sure she was alright. One foot up, next foot up. Skya thought of all the things the doctor had said about their mother's condition and all the possible ways of dealing with it, even the outrageous ones, she still considered them a viable option if nothing else could be done. One foot up, next foot up. If it wasn't enough, if mother never came out of this state, then Skya would become head of the family, a natural choice is she is the most mature and responsible. One foot up, next foot up. Father, of course, would have to move back in - he and Dawn separated due to his unwillingness to leave his lab, but Skya knew that she was there for him in various ways over the years - she knew that he'd come back to help out. One foot up, next foot up. Johanna would continue to receive round-the-clock care, even if it meant Skya giving up her job at the Trainer's School. In that instance, Twila would either pick up the slack or she would be finally be allowed to travel the world as she's always dreams of, wherein father would pick up the slack. One foot up, next foot up. Skya was now at the top of the stairs, looking up and down the cream corridor she gazed at her mother's room door, just a few short steps away.

Skya moved closer towards the green door, reaching out for its handle. Her head was empty, her heart was pounding. She gripped the silvery handle tightly and twisted it and pushed, causing the door to swing open into the room to reveal her mother... gone?

END OF CHAPTER THREE

*looks at you inquizatively*

Please, by all means ~ read, rate, reveiw and question ^.^

;440;

ArtekOublier

A balance...
Hey there bi a bi ^^ ;222; That chapter was a bit heart rendering to say the least. Finally we know who the father is of Skya and Twila. Or...are you just leading us on again XD.

Some other things though:

dawn cradled her mother's head in her arms

Dawn should have a capital letter.

Also the end of one paragraph ends with:

But, then...

I feel, there shouldn't really be a comma, or a break there. Also in all English classes I have attended you never start a sentence with but or and.

is she is the most mature

As she is the most mature, would make more sense I believe ^^

to travel the world as she's always dreams of

To travel the world as shed always dreamed of

Just minor grammar and spelling mistakes in the last paragraph there too. I love how you build up the suspense with the one foot then the other. Very good technique.

I think that May and Dawn have both had a run in with Ash and maybe heated on eithr of them and both of the women have had to try to make their amends etc. I wonder if May has kids too, does Lucas have any other children? Who else has kids?

I like the idea of the calming voice being Mew. Both Mews we have seen, the second one being considerably younger and the other one being obviously older have both tried to either right some wrong (like was the case with Mewtwo) and the younger one trying to help Lucario in his realisation of who he was. It might be Cresselia though bt we've not seen her yet, but she does try to quell bad dreams, like in the game.

What does everyone else think?

A great chapter, hope we get to find out more soon ^^
xxx

Last edited:

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Thank you for the comments ^^ *cookies*

I'll get right on editing those mistakes over the weekend ^^

ArtekOublier said:
I think that May and Dawn have both had a run in with Ash and maybe heated on eithr of them and both of the women have had to try to make their amends etc. I wonder if May has kids too, does Lucas have any other children? Who else has kids?

I'm not leading ya'll on this time, Lucas is their father ^^

Not quite sure what you meant there, but, as you know, both May and Dawn travelled with Ash for a time and, as we've seen Dawn and May and Dawn and Brock are still friends, so I guess it's safe to assume that they kept in touch with Ash after their respectie TV appearances too, you know?

As you are aware, May does have a son (he was spoke of in the phone call in the first chapter between Dawn and May). All I'll say is that, quite naturally, you'll get to find out more about him as the story progresses.

ArtekOublier said:
I like the idea of the calming voice being Mew. Both Mews we have seen, the second one being considerably younger and the other one being obviously older have both tried to either right some wrong (like was the case with Mewtwo) and the younger one trying to help Lucario in his realisation of who he was. It might be Cresselia though bt we've not seen her yet, but she does try to quell bad dreams, like in the game.

Could well be Mew or Cresselia (based on the evidence, Cresselia does seem to be the most likely candidate)... consider though that there are many other Pokémon out there with said abilities though (such as Gardevoir, who's abilities to aid Dawn were showcased in Chapter Three itself) so it may not even be a Legendary... I'm not gonna say anything on it beyond the simple knowledge that you will find out... eventually ^^

;440;

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Chapter 04 ~ Conflict And Change

Wow, was expecting more replies there... guess we'll just move on to Chapter 04, I hope it fares better than number 03 ^^

Chapter 04 ~ Conflict And Change

Skya moved closer towards the green door, reaching out for its handle. Her head was empty, her heart was pounding. She gripped the silvery handle tightly and twisted it and pushed, causing the door to swing open into the room to reveal her mother... gone?

"Mom?" Skya fully entered the room, taking in the scene.

Nothing was out of place, the room was the way it had always been - the light blue walls were being blue, the bed sheets were rosy as ever, carpet was perfectly clean and fluffy, but the window was... open?

Skya darted over to the open window and peered out over the ledge. She was looking down on the tree that always rattled against the glass on windy nights, with its roots nestled in a lovely mess of soft soil. Several of the smaller brown branches and thick strands of ivy that weaved its way up the tree had broken off and there were footprints in the mud. The only logical conclusion the dark-haired girl could come to was that her mother had gone out the window, climbed down the tree and done a runner.

On that thought, "Twila!" Skya screamed as she ran back out the door.

Skya tore through the doorway and back into creamy hallway. She raced down the stairs two at a time while her sister bolted up them three at a time. The pair met in the middle. Skya stood just a step up from her sister, looking down on her. Seeing them both standing, facing each other, it was like looking at yourself in a mirror, but it was a mirror version of you - Skya with her long Prussian blue hair, perfectly straight and sleek, but Twila with hers short, messy and tied back recklessly. Twila gazed up the steps deep into the seemingly identical brown eyes of her sister, seeing her reflection of messy hair and casual clothes just slapped on any old way. She looked her sister up and down, taking in the breath-taking sight of her black dress-suit with pearl buttons and her diamond bracelets.

"Mom's gone," Skya gasped. "She must've gone out the window."

"What? How?" Twila was shocked by the statement. "What?" she shook her head, not really aware of how to respond.

"I went upstairs to check on her and, as I entered the room, I saw the open window, the broken branches of the tree and the footprints on the dirt below," Skya explained more calmly. "From that, all I can really conclude is that she climbed out the window and down the tree and ran off to God knows where!"

"Alright," Twila turned away and started to head back down the stairs, with her sister close behind. "I'll head out and begin to search for her while you..." she was speaking very quickly, but cut off her sentence even quicker.

As they neared the foot of the stairs, standing right by the solid red front door, was their grandmother. The twins hushed up immediately, looking at each other nervously, praying that Johanna hadn't heard them. The old woman stood, a scowl on her face, a shawl on her shoulders and her hands on her hips.

"What's going on?" grandmother's voice was firm as she questioned the girls.

"Nothing," Skya smiled and pushed past Twila, wrapping her arms around Johanna and turned her round to face the direction of the living-room. "Nothing's wrong Grandma, nothing at all."

As Skya led Johanna through into the living-room, she turned her head sharply and grunted towards the front door, signalling to Twila that she was to proceed with her plan. Having grown up with each other all their lives and being so close, the twin girls had learned to interpret each other's actions precisely and finish off each other's sentences as they knew each other well enough to know what they were going to say. It provided them with a means of communication beyond the power of words.

Skya and Johanna entered the wine coloured living-room tentatively, with Johanna looking around nervously after Twila not-so-quietly snuck out the door. After watching, and hearing, Twila "sneak" out of the house, Johanna could only surmise that something had happened to Dawn. Considering all that had happened to her daughter over the past few days - doing things in her sleep, loss of memory and control of her body - and also considering her daughters behaviour in this instance - yelling after rushing out of their mother's room, Twila sneaking out - Johanna could only surmise that Dawn was missing, otherwise there would've been no need for Twila to leave the house.

"Please, my dear," Johanna implored her grand-daughter as they sat down on the leather sofa at the end of the room, "please, tell me what is going on?" she only asked to have her suspicions either confirmed or quelled.

"It's nothing," Skya lied. "Why don't I make you some nice tea?"

"Okay..." Johanna sighed, accepting that she wasn't going to get anything out of the girl.

Skya rose from her seat on the black sofa, straightening out her long black skirt and equally long dark hair while she moved swiftly through the red room and into the kitchen. Once she was safely in the other room, Johanna decided to seize this opportunity - she got out of her seat and walked quickly, but quietly, towards the big red front door. Silently, she creaked open the big door and opened it to look out into the big world before her - it was so peaceful, the flowers were just bearing new seeds of life, golden leaves fell from the tears making a bed of gorgeous flames on the grown, and all the Pokémon... oh, the Pokémon...

Johanna wiped a tear from her eye as she took in the scene. It wasn't so much that she never got to go outside or anything, no, she always went on long walks with her daughter on nice nights and, when it was wild out, they would stay in and bake and play card games and watch television together or, even, just talk. This time was different for her though, this time she was leaving the house with a purpose.

"I will find you," Johanna said to herself.

With fond memories in hand, she wrapped her tan shawl tightly round her purple cardigan and headed down the garden path. Johanna, however, did not stop to fix the broken flowers in her garden, she did not stop to clean up the mess of mucky leaves that had gathered at the gate, she did not stop as a light wind blew and forced her to shiver, she did not stop when she thought of Skya all alone at home worried. Johanna walked down the dirt path road, the small yellow houses lining the streets of her hometown of over sixty years. She smiled at the memories she carried and re-lived as she walked her way out of the main town and through the more nature-filled places. Trees were the main line of the town, providing it with a border that separated it from Lake Verity. It made sense to head there as it was one of the first places Dawn journeyed to when she first started out on her adventure. Thinking on that day, Johanna also remembered that day her daughter came home after all those months of travelling.

"I will not stop until my daughter is home!" Johanna declared to the world.

Upon hearing her shaky cry, a large group of grey starling Pokémon flitted out of a nearby tree they had been resting in. Johanna was standing at the edge of the forest that separated Twinleaf Town from Lake Verity, her weary eyes gazing deep in the forest, hoping to see her daughter through the brush. Her heart was beating fast, thumping hard in her chest, filling her with adrenaline and purpose. She knew fine well that this was terribly bad for her health, but she cared not - Johanna was going to find her daughter, even if it was the last thing she'd ever do!

"I swear it," she said in a low whisper.

Johanna headed off, walking deep into the forest, gently lifting her fluffy grey skirt as she struggled to step over a tiny log. Her heart was beating so fast, she placed her left hand to her chest and took in a deep breath. The trees around her were gigantic, towering over her, a tiny, shrivelled old prune. Johanna rested her other hand against one of the sturdy trees as she tried to catch the air that kept escaping her. Her heart's frantic beats intensified, producing a sharp pain to shoot through her chest and then to her head. The old woman felt dizzy. Johanna tried to raise her left hand to her head, but it was dangling limp by her side. Failing that, she raised her right hand, losing the invaluable support the tree had been providing her. Johanna let out a weak cry and collapsed to the ground, her right temple hitting off one of the trees upturned roots as she crashed to the floor. Everything went red and then black and Johanna began to slip away. She could feel a force tugging at her mind as she lay unconscious on the forest floor. Then... she was gone...

"Mommy?" I spoke to my mother.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing or how I was doing it. Everything is different where I am... I remember waking up after that beautiful dream and then sitting in the living-room with my mother, my daughters and my friend, but then it was different. The world around me had changed, but I had not and my horrendous nightmares became real. After I plunged in the earth, everything was black. I don't mean my vision... I'm not sure, it was like I was floating in a dark void. There were other people there though. I... I saw... him...

Somehow, thankfully, I've learned to control it. From the moment I vanished, I've been able to watch my family. I remember clearly my last few moments on the earthly plane and, not a long while later, I could see all the events that followed after. The first thing I saw was my daughter, my bright Skya, walking up into my room and discovering, at least partially, what had happened to me. I watched as my mother snuck out of the house shortly after and headed into the forest to find me... and... and... and I watched her as she collapsed just a few metres from the spot where I was taken...

I'm not sure what to think right now. My head is spinning that someone got so close to finding me and couldn't make the final stretch. I only hope that someone finds my mother before her condition worsens beyond what it already is...

"Dawn?" my mother's aged voice breaks my thoughts.

"Mommy?" my voice is quiet and shaky from tears.

"Dawn, my angel, what's wrong?" my mother's voice is soothing and strong.

I am unsure of what to do, I consider that she doesn't even know what is happening to her and, I know this sounds selfish, but all I want is for her to help me...

"Mommy?" my voice quivers.

"Yes, angel, talk to me," my mother's gentle tone leads me to believe that she is smiling.

"I need your help," my voice steadies as I begin to explain my situation.

"Anything," my mother lets out a sigh, relieved that she can do something to help me.

"I'm trapped somewhere, I'm not sure where, with several other people, one of whom I know has gone missing like me," I elucidate. "I believe that the so-called God Pokémon, Arceus, is behind this."

"Arceus?" my mother asks. "Isn't that the deity that created the Legendary Pokémon you encountered on your journey with Ash?"

"Yes, it..." I say but correct myself, "he pulled me into this dark plane of existence through my nightmares."

"The Parasomnia and, what was the other one?" my mother references her frequent conversations with the doctor regarding my condition.

"Narcolepsy," I remind her.

"That's the one," mother sounds like she's smiling again. "I miss you so much my angel."

"I miss you too mom," tears fill my eyes. "I should probably finish what I have to tell you, before it's too late."

"Too late?" my mother's voice grows louder, more panicked. "What do you mean 'too late'? Dawn, what is going on?"

"Arceus pulled me into this world so he can use me to be reborn into our world," I said plainly. "I'm not sure why and I'm not sure when, but I know it's happening and I need my daughters to travel the Sinnoh region and learn about the deities of the region - Dialga, Palkia, Mesprit, all of them, any information they can find and figure out a way to safe everyone who's trapped here."

My mother remained silent. I could hear her faint groans as she tried to process all the information I had just given her.

"Please, mom, please," my voice was filled with anger and sorrow. "I need your help."

With that I lost the connection, my tie to her was cut...

Johanna awoken to find herself in a bright shiny white room, tiled to mid-way up the wall and the top half a lovely cream coloured paint. She was lying in a pristine bed, silky soft sheets wrapped tightly around her. Various wires and instruments were plugged into her. Her two grand-daughters and their father were standing over her.

"Grandma!" Twila gasped gleefully upon noticing Johanna's open eyes.

Skya and Lucas, who had been loitering at the bottom of the bed picking at a tray of fruit quickly moved over to be by her side.

"What happened?" Johanna moaned weakly.

Skya placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"You snuck out of the house to look for Dawn," the more responsible of the two girls explained. "It was just too much for you... you had a heart attack."

Twila broke down in tears, nuzzling into her grandmother's shoulder.

"It's alright my dear," Johanna said softly. "I'm here, it's okay."

Twila calmed down a bit and took in some deep breaths to control and restore her composure.

"Twila and dad were out searching for mom too," Skya continued.

"With the help of several of her friends here in town," Lucas's strong masculine pierced the conversation.

Johanna glared at him. Even though Dawn had chosen him to be the proverbial "one" and Johanna herself had liked him well enough in the past, that all changed when he decided his career as a Pokémon Researcher was more important than his family. Of course, at the start, he was around regularly for various reasons ranging from spending time with his children to fulfilling certain needs that he and Dawn shared.

"As I was saying," Skya resumed. "Twila and dad were out looking for mom, with the help of family friends, they elected to search near Lake Verity first because it was where mom first started out really and, on their way there, they found you lying unconscious and bleeding."

Johanna cringed as she remembered the incident.

"Lucas called the emergency services immediately and, before we knew it, we were all here together," Skya smiled, "with you plugged into monitors and all stitched up and better again."

Johanna stared into the faces of each of them, moving from the fair-face Twila to the hard-faced Skya. The two girls were so similar yet so opposing at the same time, Johanna could still remember the day when Skya vowed that she would take a different path in life and not be a "wild rebellious brat" like her sister. Then there was Lucas, the girls' father and the man who broke Dawn's heart. Johanna glared at him.

"I'll go get the doctor," Lucas said nervously, sensing that it would be best if he were to leave.

The well-built man walked slowly towards the white door with the window in the top-centre. He look back, his gelled spiky hair flopping as he turned his head to look on the faces of his daughters. Lucas let out a quiet sigh before opening the door and exiting, his long white lab-coat swishing behind him as he went.

Once he was gone, Johanna ushered her grand-daughters to come closer, "there is something very important I need to tell you."

~~~END OF CHAPTER FOUR~~~

Longest chapter since the first one ^^ WOOHOO!!!

Please read, rate and review ^^

;440;

Pokemanmaster

Whismaking Legend
Oh god oh god oh god i love your story it is brilliant all the stuff about Dawn being taken into a secret world by Arceus and finding Ash there and i gotta say you have a great way of keeping thr readers wanting more. I mean you've had a jampacked first four chapters but have managed to keep so much info from us the readers, like why was Ash taken and when and oh god I hust read these chapters in the past hour (I live in the u.k) it is now 10 past 10 and all i want to do is read more of your story