• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Operation GEAR: The Victory Star of Fate (PG-13, NaNoWriMo 2011)

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
I might as well discuss the characters:

You know what? You're absolutely right about Everton. That guy's a deranged madman. A raving lunatic. A demented psychopath. A...well, you know what I mean. I mean, I get trying to capture Cresselia to get to Victini. That's what any wannabe bad guy would do. I get casting Woods out; he obviously doesn't want to share the wealth - or victory. I even get wanting to steal all of Victini's powers; I mean, who wouldn't want them? (I'm not trying to excuse those actions because they're morally-wrong, but story-wise, it's nothing I haven't seen or done before). But threatening to blow away all of those small Pokemon with Hydreigon just to use them as leverage? That's cold. His actions pretty much said, "Well, it doesn't matter if they try to break this cage. Even if they had the time, they won't be able to actually do it. But I'm going to violently murder them if I don't get what I want."

The scary thing is that Liam actually has a method behind his madness. He's not just doing this because he wants to or because he feels like doing something this insane. He has motivation, a goal, and the means to get what he wants. That's a very frightening villain you've created.

I do wonder how Butler and Diane are going to play into this, but I have a theory:

Does Butler still have his Salamence? Maybe he uses it to help against Hydreigon. That ought to even the odds.

Giovanni is awesome. I love the fact that he's more worried about his stocks collapsing than he is about people potentially getting hurt by the fighting. Some people just don't change, eh? And I had to laugh when it was mentioned that he hired his Rocket members as butlers.

I can see Matt's frustration reaching the boiling point. The fact that he wanted to make the contract shows how desperate he is to get rid of his inner demons and his doubts. Normally, he wouldn't do that, but I can literally feel his anxiety and frustration leap off of the screen. You've done an amazing job with him so far.

Bunny, Nekou, Olivia, Katorena, and Rowena are very solid supporting characters to Matt. Each of them has their own part to play, even if we don't know what they are yet. I feel that Bunny's motivations and role at the moment is much smaller than I would normally expect; along with Nekou and Olivia, she forms a main part of the trio that goes with Matt. I can't see Rowena or Katorena hanging around with them for too long, so it's a bit surprising that Bunny has seemingly been put to the side for the vast majority of the series. I get that she's supposed to be the straight-woman of the group, but...well, just ignore me. I'm getting way off-topic, and I might be completely wrong.

Woods is a very interesting and complex character. In my opinion, he's not evil at all. He wanted everyone to get an opportunity to have success. Still, there's a quote that goes something like this: our fatal flaws are mostly good intentions taken to an extreme. That's what Woods' downfall was. His intentions were good, but he went overboard with them.

And that's pretty much it for the characters. Otherwise, I'm going to let the chips fall as they will and comment from there. Other reviewers discussed the other aspects of your story exactly how I would - except for the fact that they conveyed them better.

Overall, I loved this chapter, and I'll be patiently waiting for the next one to arrive.

Sincerely,

Mem.

Last edited:

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Well, this is certainly turning out to be quite interesting.

We have Everton, who's probably your nastiest villain yet. We have Katorena, who is a somewhat stuck-up snob. And we still have the epicness of Nekou (I don't watch a ton of anime, so I didn't get the Charlotte reference until I looked at other reviews...). And somehow, I'm not surprised at the return of Butler and Diane. Nice touch with Conkeldurr, it fits with Butler's theme pretty well.

Olivia...she's, what, 14 now? And she still doesn't know about Rich being dead? Hmm...wonder how much longer Matt can keep that secret?

So, Everton now has Victini. Boy, is this going to be bad. And Giovanni is just sitting back and watching the show unfold. This is going to be one twisted time.

Going to be interesting to see how this turns out. Can't wait!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
This was an excellent chapter.

First of all, let me just say that the characterization you've shown in this chapter is fantastic. Especially Everton.

Everton is really one of the most terrifying villains I've ever seen written. He's not afraid to do even the unthinkable to get what he wants, and his only motivation seems to be his ambition, and nothing else. Everything he's been doing, he's doing out of his greed and he doesn't care who or what gets harmed in the process, and he's not above lying to the citizens of the city to get there. The way he threatens the cute Pokemon was especially effective, I think- even though he himself admitted their efforts to take out the generator were useless, he still threatened them and used them to get Victini to follow his instructions. The way he simply cast Woods aside showed a lot of how evil he was as well, taking his long time partner and leaving him out of his master plan.

They have a history together, but I wouldn't say "longtime partner" per se. Maybe I should make an author's note writing up some detail about it - would anyone want me to do that?

But yes, you have Everton's character correct. You could say that he has an ends-justifies-the-means philosophy, but that would imply he cares about the means. He doesn't. There's simply what he wants to obtain and how he gets it.

I really like the development you gave Matt in this chapter as well. You really showed that he takes his role as Olivia's father figure seriously and that he has a great deal of conflict about his life and future. Showing his constant bewilderment at Nekou and Olivia's antics was a good, lighthearted touch as well.

This is something to get used to. He's outmatched at every turn against these two, who play off of each other far more perfectly.

Olivia really outdoes herself every chapter, I think. Just when I think she can't get any cuter, she does. I really enjoyed seeing her grown-up attitude emerge in this chapter and I think she enjoys having a sister like Nekou to learn from.

You'll be seeing this emerge more and more in the rest of the story. Olivia may try to act like she's more competent than she actually is, but for a 14-year-old girl, she IS a lot more than you'd expect.

I think that it is worth noting, though, that a lot of her brashness and outward aggressiveness comes from her feelings of abandonment with her father. This is also why she's taken to Nekou so easily - Nekou exhibits a lot of the same behavior she does and gives her the kind of free reign and attention that she got from her father.

Nekou was awesome this chapter and totally badass. Seeing a female character who's not afraid to stand up for those she cares for and I love that a lot. She's well-rounded in every way and you're handling her personality awesomely.

Thanks! I knew you'd like her.

Katorena is an interesting character, and I really like her speech style a lot. Her snootiness is really endearing to me and I loved how she slowly opened herself up to the others and started letting go of herself.

She's actually got a lot more to her than you really know right now, but I can't say more just yet.

Also, I really love the little scenes with Giovanni and Stacia. They really do a good job of shifting the action and showing two characters who are affected by the events of the story outside of the setting. I like that you managed to show the more flawed side of Giovanni in this chapter too and that even he can lose his cool at times.

I'm really liking how the Giovanni/Stacia scenes are turning out myself. They're exceeding my expectations that I had. Showing Giovanni in a more business-oriented setting is enabling me to give him a unique role in the proceedings, which is what gives me the chance to use him in more unexplored ways. He's not coordinating a mission or fighting out there himself, he's a third party observer with a marginal but present link to the events that are playing out, which is a role he's never really been shown in.

The description in this chapter was excellent, especially the settings. The way you described the old rotting church in particular was very evocative and fantastic and I love how vivid your imagery is.

Finally, I truly loved the pacing in this chapter and the way you made everything flow really smoothly, especially the battles. The battles were suitably epic and kept my attention well, and you did well showing the action.

Great work on this chapter as always!

Settings were absolutely vital to this story, so I put in extra effort on them. I'm glad things worked out.

I think you'll be impressed with the flow from here on out. Everything's hitting its full stride, and events should flow (or should I say, speed) toward the conclusion relentlessly.

EDIT:

Bay said:
I have to say, totally digging Giovanni having the Rockets disguised themselves as butlers. I can see that actually when he’s under house arrest, haha. The interactions between Giovanni and Stacia are nicely done too.

It was an idea that just came to me. Honestly, in fact, it was something I thought of to give context to the idea of them being terrified of Stacia, and then I ran with it.

I’m going to have to agree with Matt here. I don’t think Rich would like that very much if he were alive. :/

Rich wouldn't like her language but would like the idea behind it, I think.

LOL over Matt, Olivia, Bunny, and Rowena’s reaction to first seeing Victini and Nekou wanting her candy bar back from the Pokemon. I also chuckled when Olivia called Woods old man. She’s sure picking stuff fast from Nekou. :p

Like I said above: their personalities just click perfectly.

Jolteon_Jordan said:
This was a pretty good chapter. I can say that it was filled with a lot of great humor, especially Nekou's refrigerator prank and fourth wall break. Usually it's one thing when someone just mentions the readers, but when it actually becomes an argument between characters whether there's someone watching them or not, that's going beyond the usual and can be quite successful, and was definitely the case here.

The pranks during the speech are good approximations of what kind of person Nekou is. She's not doing it maliciously, she's just doing it to cause trouble.

As for the fourth wall break, she was doing it facetiously; there just happens to actually be people reading after all.

The characters are still being well written, as usual. I was a bit surprised with the inclusion of Butler and Diane, though I really shouldn't be when the answer is in your username.

They have a role to play, you'll just have to wait a bit to see it.

Nekou's drunken state is hilarious, especially with the fact that she can still play a game of cards in such a state and win. Epic win. Though it worries me about what Nekou may be hiding, if there's something really that disturbing in her mind (according to the fortune teller anyway).

She doesn't just play cards drunk, she does it better drunk. That's just how she is.

You're right to be concerned though...

It seems like the chapters just continue to get better. This one got a lot more things moving and more accomplished. There's a lot of different plots you got going in this, and they're all good, and there's not too many of them, and they're not incredibly confusing; the reader can comprehend what's going on and not get lost.

That's good. I wanted it to come out that way, with lots of things going on at once but never becoming too confusing.

Everton was established much better in this. He's been going for a more complex motive, and his plan is actually quite shocking and makes him an intimidating villian; a character I can really get a sense of fear from. He's not as simple as most people would speculate, and I like that.

Good read on him. What I was shooting for in the character was just that - someone with complex plans who comes off as legitimately frightening.

Might I offer one suggestion, though? Consider again why he's terrifying. I think you might find a surprising thread running through it.

Woods also surprised me as well, and yet for some reason I can't help but feel he still has some more to hide.

Good guess.

Olivia's ongoing development is another good factor of this so far. She's debating about what to do and how to etablish herself, but it's not going in the way Matt was intending and gives me this sense of being on the edge. I'm in a state of constant wonder, and hoping nothing goes terribly wrong.

I wanted to have Olivia come off as a young girl who's growing up and unsure of where she fits in the world, with the stress from her family problems compounding everything. It sounds from your feedback that I did it right.

Nekou's future sounds like a chaotic mess. I feel that she's still hiding something, and whatever it may be is the factor that will change her fate, whether she remains through countless trials with her friends or is forced to live on in a cold, depressing mindset.

There's a lot hidden underneath her loud and snarky demeanor, you're right about that.

SilentMemento said:
You know what? You're absolutely right about Everton. That guy's a deranged madman. A raving lunatic. A demented psychopath. A...well, you know what I mean. I mean, I get trying to capture Cresselia to get to Victini. That's what any wannabe bad guy would do. I get casting Woods out; he obviously doesn't want to share the wealth - or victory. I even get wanting to steal all of Victini's powers; I mean, who wouldn't want them? (I'm not trying to excuse those actions because they're morally-wrong, but story-wise, it's nothing I haven't seen or done before). But threatening to blow away all of those small Pokemon with Hydreigon just to use them as leverage? That's cold. His actions pretty much said, "Well, it doesn't matter if they try to break this cage. Even if they had the time, they won't be able to actually do it. But I'm going to violently murder them if I don't get what I want."

The scary thing is that Liam actually has a method behind his madness. He's not just doing this because he wants to or because he feels like doing something this insane. He has motivation, a goal, and the means to get what he wants. That's a very frightening villain you've created.

You have a good feel for how he operates. He didn't even need to threaten the Pokemon to get Victini to release its power for him, because he could have sat there for as long as he needed for the energy beams to torture the power out of Victini, but he realized that using the Pokemon as leverage would speed up the process, making them a practical convenience.

He's good at that, adapting to new factors entering the picture to work them to his advantage. That said, he doesn't often need to, since he plans things so carefully and in advance.

I do wonder how Butler and Diane are going to play into this, but I have a theory:

Not a bad guess, might have some truth to it.

Giovanni is awesome. I love the fact that he's more worried about his stocks collapsing than he is about people potentially getting hurt by the fighting. Some people just don't change, eh?

You know, to be brutally honest, I actually hadn't intentionally done that! I completely see it now that you point it out, but when I factored him into the story, it was because I wanted to continue his loose ends from The Firestorm Rebellion and provide a third-party view on the events of this story. Hilariously enough, though, as you've pointed out I unwittingly made him more himself than ever before.

I can see Matt's frustration reaching the boiling point. The fact that he wanted to make the contract shows how desperate he is to get rid of his inner demons and his doubts. Normally, he wouldn't do that, but I can literally feel his anxiety and frustration leap off of the screen. You've done an amazing job with him so far.

Exactly, that is the whole point of that scene. Thank you for liking it.

I can't see Rowena or Katorena hanging around with them for too long, so it's a bit surprising that Bunny has seemingly been put to the side for the vast majority of the series. I get that she's supposed to be the straight-woman of the group, but...well, just ignore me. I'm getting way off-topic, and I might be completely wrong.

I agree, and I've begun taking steps to try and bring Bunny's role out more. Thank you for the advice, it should help.

Woods is a very interesting and complex character. In my opinion, he's not evil at all. He wanted everyone to get an opportunity to have success. Still, there's a quote that goes something like this: our fatal flaws are mostly good intentions taken to an extreme. That's what Woods' downfall was. His intentions were good, but he went overboard with them.

Exactly. He really believed that Everton had good intentions, and perhaps blinded himself to the true facts of what was going on. The way I imagine it, he hadn't directly seen Everton in a long time prior to just before this, and Everton went to him for help with Victini, playing him like a fool.

Morpher01 said:
Olivia...she's, what, 14 now? And she still doesn't know about Rich being dead? Hmm...wonder how much longer Matt can keep that secret?

For as long as he can.

Last edited:

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Here I am with my late review. :D

“That was awesome, seriously!” beamed Olivia, who had rushed over and begun pulling on Nekou’s leg. “I want to be like you!”

“Okay, that’s enough,” Matt interrupted. “Having one each of the two of you around is hard enough. I don’t need you becoming like each other.”

XD Awesome.

I noticed an error with part of the first chapter. The part that begins:
“I will see that it is done. Thank you for the responsibility, sir.”

Stacia turned to leave, but she stopped when Giovanni spoke further.

“Stay here. I want another pair of eyes on this news conference. Something seems suspicious about it.”

Though she wouldn’t argue with him anyway due to his being her boss, Stacia was internally grateful for the opportunity. Every time she got to do something for him, she felt like she was actually needed.
It was double posted. Just a minor formatting error.

“I’m sure the readers will figure it out quickly enough. They’re not stupid.”

“The readers?” Judging by his facial expression, Matt was becoming even more lost, and he was beginning to think that Nekou was deliberately trying to confuse him. “Seriously, Nekou, have you totally lost it?”

The readers...:D Lol!

What really amazes me about your writing is how well everything flows together. I can tell you’ve put a lot of work into character development and it’s coming together very nicely. Same with plot - there’s the external conflict with Everton and the battle between Darkrai and Cresselia. And then you have the more personal issues that Matt, Nekou, and some of the others are dealing with. It’s very exciting to read! ^^ I really need to learn to write like this. Amazing. :)

Excellent description of setting as well. It was one of those times while reading where I could see it play out perfectly in my mind like a movie. Great job!

And I love your characters. The fortune telling scene was especially intriguing. I wonder what Nekou is hiding...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Before I get into my reply, I want to mention up front: the next chapter is going to be quite long. I considered breaking it into two parts, but with how I have the plot structured and the way I want things to fall, I can't really make that work.

Just wanted to be forthcoming about it in advance.

XD Awesome.

You know he's not going to avoid them becoming like each other, right?

I noticed an error with part of the first chapter. The part that begins:

It was double posted. Just a minor formatting error.

I must have slipped and hit the button to put it in twice.

What really amazes me about your writing is how well everything flows together. I can tell you’ve put a lot of work into character development and it’s coming together very nicely.

Thank you. I did exactly that - I wouldn't be too far off to estimate that a year of planning or more went into this story from conception. Most of that planning was on plot (which I'll get to in a minute) but both this fic and the wider story being told rely on the strength of the characters and their ability to stand out. Character development and interaction are critical to the entire point of it all.

Same with plot - there’s the external conflict with Everton and the battle between Darkrai and Cresselia. And then you have the more personal issues that Matt, Nekou, and some of the others are dealing with. It’s very exciting to read! ^^

Like I mentioned above, all the planning that went into this helped ensure that all the pieces fit together. It's even more important here, as every one of the events that are occurring are related to a larger picture. Likewise, the personal issues the characters must deal with enhance the surrounding plot as well, as they flesh out the characters as people. In turn, that allows said characters to be placed into the plot and have their selves interact with what happens to drive the story.

I really need to learn to write like this. Amazing. :)

Really? Thank you very much! I'm very flattered you like it that much.

Excellent description of setting as well. It was one of those times while reading where I could see it play out perfectly in my mind like a movie. Great job!

Now that's another thing that I really shot for. That's the exact visualization trick I use while writing, because it allows me to both imagine and actually see the events as they flow. Knowing that you could see it too tells me I did it right.

And I love your characters. The fortune telling scene was especially intriguing. I wonder what Nekou is hiding...

I assure you, these characters have quite a lot left in store for you.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin f
Dawwwww, Olivia and Nekou are making a perfect pair. I knew I'd like Nekou the moment I saw her! Well, read about her. Whatever. She kinda reminds me of me. ;3 And Persian with the milk? ADORABLE! ;D I think it's nice that Giovanni has an assistant, especially one like Stacia. She seems like the quiet, insecure, but loyal type.

All in all, I love it so far! I can't wait for the next chapter even though it's supposed to be long! :)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Thanks for the review, Felly. I think you'll find more of what you like coming up.

Anyway, I've decided to break what was originally Chapter 3 into two chapters, so here's the first part now.

-:-

CHAPTER 3: The Price of Victory

A window headed by the text “Secure Video Stream” prominently displayed on Giovanni’s computer. Inside the square was a shoulders-up shot of an elderly man whose white hair, lab coat and blue undershirt were all unkempt.

“Gabriel,” Giovanni whispered, filled with a mix of anger and confusion that Stacia could detect while standing next to him, “explain to me what just happened.”

“It appears from observing the readings that a thermal plume has been released throughout Whitegold City,” the old scientist stated with great care. While he spoke, his mouth barely became visible beneath his thick white moustache. “The measured water temperature and air humidity have already spiked drastically and are not showing signs of imminent reduction. Should this trend continue, the possibility of a severe storm developing is highly likely.”

Giovanni clasped his hands together and rested his head against them. He stared at the computer screen, carefully considering every bit of information he’d received. Gabriel, meanwhile, just stared back at his boss through the video link in uncomfortable silence.

Something wasn’t adding up to Giovanni. He kept trying to reconcile the appearance of Darkrai with the sudden thermal plume, and no scenario he considered made much sense. That is, there was no sensible scenario until something clicked and prompted him to reopen the stock market window.

When he saw the roughly thousand-point plunges on just about every non-commodity stock, and the similarly-sized increases on those few precious investments, Giovanni slammed his hands down onto his desk in anger. Both Stacia and Gabriel visibly jumped from the crash.

“It’s an act of economic terrorism,” he growled. “With just an investment in the Icirrus Mineral Collection, which right now has gone from 322 points to 1248 points, you could take a ten thousand dollar initial investment and turn it into two million, eight hundred and seventy six thousand dollars. Someone who knew that the disaster in Whitegold City would happen could have predicted this chaotic shift on the world’s markets and prepared for it.”

“Sir,” Stacia cautiously ventured, “Are you actually suggesting…?”

“Of course, what else would I be suggesting? The circumstances are too perfect. Liam Everton may have engineered the events in Whitegold City so he could make untold millions of dollars cheating the stock market. Well, I for one will not stand for it. Gabriel, continue monitoring the weather conditions in and around Whitegold City for any developments.”

“Of course, yes, sir!” Having received his instructions, Gabriel disappeared from the screen.

As Giovanni reclined in his chair and wiped a bead of sweat from his brow, Stacia shakily asked him, “Is… there anything I should do, sir?”

“Did you contact the governor’s office yet?”

“I couldn’t get through, sir…”

“Then why haven’t you kept on trying?!” he thundered. The last thing Giovanni wanted to deal with at the time was foolishness from his followers, even if it was from Stacia, his most competent. “Go call them again! This is a red-phone level emergency! Someone in a position of power has to try to get the trading day suspended before Liam Everton completely wrecks the global financial system!”

“Right away, sir!” Stacia flinched. She then turned and quickly made her way out of Giovanni’s office, walking swiftly on the red rug.

A sense of defeat hung over the passengers of the hovercraft as it cut through the murky waters of Whitegold City’s swamp.

Lying in Olivia’s lap, Victini breathed heavily. It was badly injured from Everton’s vicious attack and could barely move. Olivia and Katorena were trying desperately to tend to it.

“Please hang on, Victini,” plead Olivia, “I beg you! Don’t die because that mean old man had to do what he did!”

“It needs medicine,” Katorena added, turning to the others. “Please, do any of you happen to possess some medicine?”

“I’ve brought some supplies, so hopefully I’ve got something that’ll work…” As he rooted around in his bag, however, Matt quickly found that he did not, in fact, have anything that fit being called medicine. It was all bottles of water and various snacks, so out of need to choose something, he held up a round, red-and-orange cookie. “I’ve got this…”

“A Lava Cookie!” Nekou exclaimed. “Ordinarily, if I knew you had a Lava Cookie, I’d already have eaten it, but this time Victini needs it more… so do what has to be done.”

“Would you like this, Victini?” Matt asked of the Pokémon while holding the cookie near it.

“Kuticu…” answered Victini with a very weak voice. Taking up the cookie, Victini took tiny, slow bites out of it.

“When we get to my home, I have a Full Restore I can give Victini.” Woods did not turn around at all as he spoke, instead opting to stare straight ahead.

Rowena, however, would have none of this. She forced the issue by grabbing Woods by the collar and getting right in his face. “Why should we believe you now when it’s your fault Everton has gotten this far?!”

Her anger at Woods went deeper than the simplest sense of being sold out to the enemy. That was bad enough. But to Rowena, the relationship between reporter and source was one of the most important things possible, so Woods’s actions – leading her on with the bait of a big story, then betraying her for the person she was trying to thwart – infuriated her and made her feel profoundly violated.

“I didn’t know that Liam was going to go this far, I swear. I really, truly believed that he had good intentions behind what he was doing. I believed in him and I was naive.”

“Why should I trust you?!” Rowena screamed, right in Woods’s face.

Just as Woods opened his mouth to answer, however, he was cut off. Something impacted the bottom of the hovercraft from beneath the water’s surface, throwing it and its passengers onto the bank of the marsh.

“What was that?!” Matt frantically looked around, quickly spotting Olivia, Nekou, Bunny, Victini and the others scattered about the small area near the crashed hovercraft. “You guys! Are you all alright?”

“I’m fine!” Olivia called back. “I think we’re all fine! But what the hell was that? What hit us?”

A low, guttural croaking sound materialized in the air, as if answering Olivia’s question. The voice belonged to the Seismitoad that had been attacked by Darkrai earlier; he was now standing on the marsh bank, staring at Matt rigidly in an almost zombie-like state.

“That Pokémon, what is it?” Matt wondered aloud.

“It’s a Seismitoad,” Nekou answered. “A Water-and-Ground-type originally from Unova.”

“Do you have any Grass-types right now?” Bunny asked of Matt. “Those would be best, because this fight looks unavoidable.”

“No, but that tip did help anyway. Ayingott, make your mark!” To battle Seismitoad, Matt sent Ayingott out again. She spread her wings and chirped to announce her presence. “Hurry, use Energy Ball!”

A faint aura appeared around the trees and brush in the area, and Ayingott drew this natural power toward herself and focused it into a single green sphere. Seismitoad’s response was slow, so when he spit up a stream of boiling-hot water to try and push it back, it was all but too late. The Energy Ball and Scald attacks pushed against each other for a moment before Energy Ball won out and crashed into Seismitoad.

Strangely, though, despite his visible injuries, Seismitoad did not react much at all. He still stood there and stared.

“Something is not right with that Seismitoad,” Katorena pointed out, perhaps stating the obvious. “Why did it not react? And why is it that I cannot sense much of anything from that Pokémon? Usually, I can sense the mood of a Pokémon unless they’re sleeping…”

“Wait…” Matt breathed, his eyes widening as the true realization of the situation hit him. “Pink smoke that induces a trance-like state in its victims… a seemingly zombified Pokémon whose mood cannot be sensed, as if it was asleep… this is the Dreamyarn Inceptor!”

“What are you saying?”

“He’s saying that Everton is controlling Pokémon like this Seismitoad remotely through their dreams,” Bunny explained to Nekou. “He must only have to put them to sleep within range of the machine, and then he can enter their dreams and control their actions!”

“That’s right…” Rowena confirmed with noticeable nervousness. “It was always claimed that the Dreamyarn Inceptor was an energy source and I always thought they were lying… but I never expected it to be used for this… Everton could create an entire army of Pokémon to do his bidding without question…”

“This Seismitoad is just a victim, then… I have to save it. Woods, get the hovercraft back in the water while I do this!”

“Good idea, I’ll do that…” Woods gestured to Nekou, Bunny and Rowena for help in fulfilling Matt’s suggestion.

“Ayingott, use Ice Beam on Seismitoad!”

Flying right above Seismitoad’s head, Ayingott focused a concentrated ray of ice onto him; he did not look up or flinch at all. He simply stood eerily still as the freezing energy coursed through his body.

Seismitoad’s behavior disturbed not only Matt but also Olivia, who was watching from nearby with Victini in her arms. She called out, “Matt, you can’t just stand here and keep hitting it, it’s not working!”

“I’d say you’re right about that,” Matt responded, furrowing his eyebrow. “Maybe I’ll just need to put an end to this now. Ayingott, Psychic!”

The blue light that glowed from Ayingott’s eyes surrounded Seismitoad, constricting his movements. Matt was satisfied that the Water-and-Ground-type was subdued, so he reached into his back and took out a special Poké Ball printed with a blue wave pattern.

“When everything comes together, the answer becomes clear… Dive Ball, target Seismitoad! Go!”

Right to the end, Seismitoad still didn’t flinch, even when the Dive Ball hit him in the forehead. The ball opened and converted Seismitoad into red light, which it then absorbed before closing and falling to the ground.

Several factors were in Matt’s favor. The Dive Ball was a special Poké Ball that was designed to capture Pokémon which lived in the water, and because Seismitoad was still sleeping despite being controlled, it was even more susceptible to being captured. Before long, the ball stopped shaking on the ground and gave off a pinging noise to indicate success.

“Well done, Matt!” Woods called out from his hovercraft, which was back in the water and refilled with its passengers. “Hurry, we must get going!”

“I guess I’ll have to name you later, then,” Matt said to the Dive Ball after picking it up.

A small rumble of thunder sounded in the sky as Matt rushed back to the hovercraft, and just as it pulled away from the bank, rain began to fall.

“I see…”

Everton was floating on his hoverboard outside the church, with Hydreigon floating nearby. Foster, Baker, Throh and Sawk were all already back inside their truck. On the dashboard-mounted screen, Everton had the Dreamyarn Inceptor control screen open; a window marked with Seismitoad’s silhouette was filled with static.

“Captain Everton, what has happened?” Baker’s voice came through a speaker on the hoverboard’s dashboard.

“Seismitoad responded to the controls of the Dreamyarn Inceptor,” Everton replied, with his voice being transmitted back into the truck, “but Matt captured it, and the reception was cut. It appears to be a design flaw in the system.”

“We can get to reprogramming that right away,” Foster spoke up in suggestion.

“No, it’s more important to pursue Victini.” The rain, while not heavy, was falling hard enough for Everton to notice. “We’re on the clock now. I suspect I know where they will go, but to be sure…” Widening his left eye, Everton called out, “Victory Star!”

The glowing star in the man’s eye transformed; it went from a simple pattern to a shimmering, tunnel-like projection in the same shape. When this happened, the sight being transmitted to Everton’s mind changed. He now saw a run-down house on the swamp’s edge, one that was nearly falling apart but still somehow inhabitable.

Having seen the path to his desired victory, Everton blinked and leaned over onto the control panel of his hoverboard to support himself as he caught his breath.

“Captain Everton, what happened?”

“Baker… the Victory Star has shown me the way to my goal. Come, follow me!”

Everton pulled on the handles that controlled the hoverboard, turning in the direction of the deepest part of the marshland before gliding off. Baker and Foster followed him as closely as possible with their truck.

The house that Everton saw with the Victory Star was Woods’s home. It was as dilapidated as it seemed, but the insides were neat enough, albeit quite dark. Inside was filled with simple living implements, including a bare-bones kitchen, an aged bed on a rusting frame, an old television set that still used rabbit-ear antennae, and various wooden furniture.

Rain fell steadily on the windows as the group took shelter inside the dwelling. While Rowena stared out at the weather, Matt, Olivia, Nekou, Bunny and Katorena all worked to tend to Victini, a task that got much easier when Woods returned to the room with a boxy spray bottle filled with green liquid.

“Here,” he said while leaning down to level with the others, “a Full Restore, as promised.”

Victini cried lightly when Woods sprayed the substance onto it, as despite it being medicine, it stung Victini’s body. However, the pain didn’t last long, and Victini quickly began feeling better, even jumping up and beginning to fly around again. Its energy level wasn’t back to one hundred percent instantly, but it was an excellent start.

“Tini! Tini!” it squealed in front of Matt.

“What, Victini? What is it?”

“I think that Victini desires one of those confections you gave it earlier,” Katorena suggested.

“The Lava Cookie? Of course, that makes sense.”

Matt handed over one of the cookies, and Victini flew off to a corner to eat in peace. This prompted Woods to smile halfheartedly, an expression that did not last for long.

“Rowena… please come over here. I’m going to tell everything.”

“What do you mean?” Though she was still angry, Rowena was intrigued by Woods’s promise, so she followed his request and joined the others with him.

“I’ll tell you everything. The true story of why Victini came to the city, the truth about Darkrai and Cresselia, everything.”

“How will knowing any of this help us now, though?” Bunny peevishly questioned. As much as she liked history – and indeed, she did want to hear the story – she didn’t think it held any relevance to the danger they were currently in.

“Please, I know I haven’t done much to earn your trust so far…” Woods nodded to Nekou and then Rowena as he said this, vaguely referencing his recent poor actions, “…but you have to listen to me this time. Everything is connected.

So, as you know, Cresselia and Darkrai battled in Whitegold City fifty years ago, and when Cresselia won, she and Victini took up residence in the city with Cresselia becoming Victini’s protector. What you don’t know is just how connected I am to it all. Back then, as a boy, I was a young assistant navigator on the ship helmed by Liam’s grandfather, the great Captain Becket Everton.”

“You were with that arrogant, foul man’s grandfather?” Nekou repeated, physically showing less interest than she actually had.

Bunny added to it, saying, “What was he like?”

“Completely different than Liam, that’s for sure. Captain Becket Everton was a generous and kind man, a fearless and true leader. Like Everton family members before and after him, he helped bring success to Whitegold City through his continuing development of the city as a shipping hub for the entire world.

He conducted his voyages under the light of Victini, who he encountered in a far-off land long before we met. While he did not possess the power of the Victory Star, Victini still travelled on his ship to explore the world. The two of them… they truly loved the thrill of adventure, and sailing to new and exotic places was the joy that made their lives worth living.”

“Victini exploring the world with Everton’s grandfather…” Matt said in wonder. “It sounds like they were very good friends.”

“Indeed they were. Becket Everton and Victini bonded over their love for adventuring and exploring the world. But, the story isn’t that simple. One day, while resting between voyages here in Whitegold City, Everton found that Victini had befriended a young girl who lived here. The two were playing together enthusiastically, without a care in the world.” After pausing a moment to make sure his audience was still with him, Woods continued, “Well, Becket just couldn’t break them up, so he invited the girl to sail on his ship and be with Victini.

Things went well for many years, even as that girl grew into a young woman. However, not long after I joined Becket’s crew as an assistant navigator – my first job in the maritime field – something happened that changed everything…”

~:~

On that night fifty years earlier, a raging storm battered the ocean. A ship shaped out of silver iron was being tossed on the churning waves, with sheets of rain falling on its decks like relentless bullets from the roiling black sky.

Up on the ship’s bridge, an aged man very similar in appearance to Liam Everton stood looking out at the chaos his vessel was embroiled in. He had his gaunt arms crossed behind his back, and his navy-blue suit hung loosely on his thin frame. From his face, one could judge that he wasn’t someone who got enough sleep, judging from the dark shadows under his eyes.

“I’ve never seen a storm like this, not in my many years sailing the seas,” the man said to his companions on the bridge.

Besides Woods, who at the time appeared like a much younger version of his future self without an eyepatch, there was the young woman in the story, who had shoulder-length black hair, pale skin and a typically masculine sailor’s suit. With her was Victini, acting nervously due to the crisis at hand.

“Captain Everton, sir,” Woods gasped, looking over charts and radar readings, “our speed has decreased to near zero, and the waves are showing no mercy on us. She’s a fine ship, but I’m not sure we’ll last out here like this.”

Without turning, Becket Everton removed his silver captain’s hat and ran his hand through his gray hair, ending with him brushing through his thick beard. “We’ll get through it just fine, Woods. The guiding light of Victini has blessed…”

A bolt of lightning suddenly descended from the sky and struck the roof of the ship’s cabins, briefly shorting out the power and causing the entire vessel to rock violently. Everton had to steady himself against the railing he was standing at, while Woods, the girl and Victini were thrown to the floor.

“Vikutiii!” cried the Pokémon. It scrambled over to its friend in an attempt to find security.

“What should we do, Mister Everton?” the girl begged. “Can we get home?”

Before he could answer, Everton was distracted by the ringing of a bright red telephone mounted on the wall nearby. He walked over to it, picked it up and said, “Captain Everton, what is it? Are you seriously saying…”

The air outside became unsettlingly still and quiet for a moment, a tranquility that was broken with rumbling that indicated the dropping of an even bigger lightning bolt. It struck the main deck of the ship near the side, which when combined with the continued impact of the violent waves caused a hole to tear open in the ship’s hull.

Everton hit his head when he was thrown against the wall, and a slow trickle of blood leaked from the wound onto the floor. Woods struggled to his feet and stumbled over to his captain.

“Captain Everton!” he exclaimed. “Sir, are you hurt?”

“We’ve got worse things to worry about than me getting a little bloodied.” Just as Everton said this, an alarm started going off throughout the ship, indicating the hull breach. Managing to pull the receiver for the ship’s intercom off its holder, he sent out a message, “Attention all crew members, this is your captain speaking. The hull has been breached and we are going down. I repeat, we are going down. An evacuation order is now in place. Make your way to the life boats at once. This is an order!”

“We’re not going to make it!” the young woman shrieked, embracing Victini tightly in fear. “We’re too far out to sea!”

“No, we can survive, but we have to evacuate the ship now!” Woods attempted to help the young woman stand, but another violent rocking of the ship threw him back again. “What about you, sir?”

“The captain must always be the last man off the ship. I have a duty to see this through.”

“But, sir, you will not survive!”

“This is not up for discussion, Woods. Save yourself and…”

Everton’s statement was silenced when a bright light began to shine around Victini’s body, filling the entire bridge with its glow.

“Do you wish to survive?”

“W-who said that?!” Woods exclaimed, frantically glancing around in the blinding light. “Who’s there?”

Feeling as if she was the one being addressed by the voice, the young woman answered, “Yes, I don’t want to die! Help me!”

“I will grant you a power that will give you that victory. But in return you will make a contract with me and you will be in my debt. Do you accept the contract of the Victory Star?”

“The… Victory Star?” Becket Everton knew what this was, and that knowledge helped him realize who was speaking as well.

“I accept the contract! Please, save me and my friends!”

The moment that the pact was accepted, the light got even brighter, completely blinding and overwhelming the senses of Everton and Woods.

Some time later, the storm had cleared up, but the ship was gone. All that remained were pieces of wreckage scattered about the surface. The bright crescent moon in the sky reflected in the water with strange, stunning beauty.

Within the wreckage field, Woods awoke, finding himself clinging to a large, broken plank. He hastily looked around, and upon spotting Becket Everton slung over another piece of flotsam, swam to his captain.

“Captain Everton, sir!” exclaimed the young navigator, shaking his superior officer’s body with one hand while clinging to the wreckage with the other. “Please, wake up!”

“Ugh…” Drowsing awake, Everton coughed violently, hacking up a spray of water that he’d swallowed during the disaster. “Woods… you’re alright? Where is everyone…?”

“Sir…” The news Woods had to deliver was incredibly painful, and he didn’t want to have to be the one to tell it to Everton. However, given the facts contained within it, he had no other choice. “It doesn’t look like anyone else made it… I can’t see any other crew members… I think we may be the only survivors from when she went down.”

“Impossible!” Everton spat, refusing to accept this. “My ship was a true jewel of the seas. She was a fine vessel staffed by finer men, and you’re going to tell me not even Christina made it? Young, innocent Christina who only sailed with us because she loved the journey?!”

“Kuruu!”

Another bright light appeared behind Everton and Woods. They could see enough of it being cast over their shoulders, so they maneuvered to turn while still holding on to the wreckage buoying them on the surface.

Slowly descending from the sky, seemingly from the crescent moon itself, was a glowing, angelic figure. She soon took the form of Cresselia to the two survivors of the sinking, and Victini was sitting upon her back.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
“…and with the guidance of Victini and Cresselia, Becket and I made our way back home to Whitegold City. From there, as you know, Cresselia and Darkrai battled, and when Cresselia drove away Darkrai, Victini took up permanent residence here under her custody.”

Matt and the others were all clearly enthralled by Woods’s story, staring with wide eyes and open mouths. There was more to the tale, though, and it was Bunny that realized it.

“If I’m interpreting the story correctly,” she stated with a tone of matter-of-fact wonder, “did that girl, Christina, become Cresselia?”

The others all gasped. They hadn’t realized the possibility of Christina having become Cresselia, but they all collectively realized how much of a logical guess it was once they heard it. The final confirmation of their suspicions came when Woods nodded.

“Indeed, that is the case. Christina contracted with Victini for the power of the Victory Star, her desired victory to be survival during the disaster. That manifested itself by transforming her into Cresselia, and her obligation on the contract was to use her newly-granted power to protect Victini forevermore.”

“To think Victini has so much power…” whispered a stunned Matt. Slowly lifting his head, he uttered, “But what does this have to do with why Liam is taking all of these actions? If Cresselia is really a person, that means all the things he’s done to her… forcing her to fight Darkrai, electrocuting her in that trap…”

“Don’t go down that line of thought,” Woods interrupted. “It is impossible to distinguish in this day and age how much of Christina’s humanity still remains inside of Cresselia, or if she is just driven by the contract to protect Victini.”

“That’s no excuse for what Everton’s done!” Matt argued in response, raising his voice angrily.

“I didn’t say it was! But to get to answering your other question, let me tell you more of my story. Like I said, it was fifty years ago that Becket Everton’s ship sank, setting in motion the chain of events that resulted in Victini and Cresselia taking up residence in Whitegold City. Ten years after that, or forty years ago, that was when I first met Liam Everton. He recruited me into the position of first mate aboard his own ship based on my own experience working for his grandfather. Even back then, Liam was different than his grandfather in every possible way… he was consumed by greed and ambition.”

“Why did you trust him back there, then?” asked Bunny, alluding to Woods attempting to align himself with Everton at the church.

“I should have known better. I thought he had changed in the years since I last dealt with him.”

“Well then, you’re just a bad judge of character, aren’t you?” Nekou sniped. “But there is one thing… what do you mean by ‘years?’ What was the last time before that?”

“And that was the part of the story I was dreading coming to. After I joined Liam Everton’s crew in the year 1972, we spent the next five years researching all possible leads regarding the whereabouts of Victini. We couldn’t locate the Victini that was living in Whitegold City, but the leads we found brought us to another one…”

Roughly thirty-five years earlier, on July 7, 1977, the younger Liam Everton and Woods walked into an urban garden that somewhat resembled Balise Park. On the path they were walking, a sign offered the information of their location; it read “Welcome to Castelia City Northern District!” in finely-painted letters.

Everton, who back then had thick hair, an even more substantial beard than in the present and a prominent moustache, looked around carefully. His immediate surroundings were verdant, but tall buildings towered all around the park’s outskirts.

With them were three Pokémon. Everton’s shiny Cryogonal was one, and the other two were the previous, less-evolved forms of his other Pokémon. Klang was nearly identical in appearance to Klinklang, except for the absence of the red core gear and spiked frame, while Zwelious was a quadruped creature in similar colors to Hydreigon, but land-bound and with only two heads instead of three.

“Victini!” he called out after what seemed like forever. “I know you are here, Victini! Show yourself!”

“What exactly will you do, Liam?” Woods asked nervously.

“I will make Victini appear and then I will complete that contract, what else?” Everton’s answer oozed confidence. He acted as if he knew exactly how everything would happen. “Now, Victini, appear! I wish for the contract of the Victory Star!”

After a few minutes of no response, a shimmer appeared in the air six feet from Everton and Woods’s position, which materialized into a Victini. This Victini was a different one from the Victini in Whitegold City, so its behavior was somewhat different – it was more serious and composed, simply floating before the man who had called out to it.

“Tinicu?”

“I’ve searched long and hard for you, Victini!” boasted Everton, spreading his arms wide. “Long have I desired to enter into your contract for the power of the Victory Star!”

Despite Everton doing his best to sound sincere, Victini sensed something was amiss and did not approach him any further. Seeing this made Everton smile broadly.

“What’s the matter, Victini? You don’t trust me?” Abruptly lowering his head and smiling even more, Everton viciously finished, “Good choice. Cryogonal, Acrobatics!”

“Cryooo~”

Cryogonal cut through the air with such speed that it briefly became invisible, reappearing right before it struck Victini with its sharply angled body. When the legendary Psychic-and-Fire-type hit the ground, it left a charred outline of itself.

“Victinii!” the Pokémon angrily screeched. A ball of flame enveloped its body in the beginnings of the attack called Searing Shot, which it intended to use to strike vengeance against Cryogonal.

Out of nowhere, however, an electric blast descended upon Victini, causing the unfinished Searing Shot to explode and injure Victini even further. It was a Thunderbolt attack from Klang that had caught Victini so terribly off guard.

“You do not have a choice!” bellowed Everton, who was lording over the clash with his right hand in his pocket. “I will bring the power of the Victory Star home to Whitegold City! Cryogonal, use Frost Breath!”

An intense blast of icy wind gusted out from the opening in Cryogonal’s face where its ice chains hung. Victini wasn’t hurt much, however, and in response hit Cryogonal with the flaming tackle known as Flame Charge.

Woods had to jump out of the way of Cryogonal, as the Ice-type was violently thrown in his direction. The situation was getting nerve-wracking for him, and he decided to vocalize his concerns. “Liam, there must be a better way. This is too much…”

“Men like us who will change the world do not give up when victory is at hand! Klang, Thunderbolt, now! Use it relentlessly!”

Taking on an even altitude to Victini, Klang started rotating at a rapid speed and saying its name repeatedly. An even bigger electrical shock was generated, and it sustained itself for quite a long time in order to damage Victini.

“Now, Zweilous, it’s time to put Victini in checkmate.” Pulling his right hand out of his pocket and thrusting it forward, Everton commanded, “Crunch!”

Zweilous started running toward Victini on his stubby legs as Klang finished up its attack. Once Klang’s Thunderbolt finally ceased, Victini – its body battered and fur visibly burnt – fell weakly to the ground. Almost instantly Zweilous was there, biting Victini savagely with the fangs of his left head.

In the past, however, Everton hadn’t done as much research into Victini as he had done in the present, so he didn’t expect what happened next. Once it was hurt enough, Victini used a discharge of fire to blast itself out of Zweilous’s grip. It stumbled through the air and happened to land in Woods’s arms as he stood by watching.

Woods suddenly couldn’t perceive Everton, Klang, Cryogonal, Zweilous or anyone or anything else around him. The only presence his mind could sense was Victini; he couldn’t even tell if he was in the park anymore.

“This is not your fault, human. I will give you power. One day may you use it for good.”

“Power?!” Woods gasped, clearly frightened by his not knowing what was about to happen. “Just make all of this stop!”

Blinding light completely consumed Woods and Victini, spreading through the entire park. Its brightness forced Everton to use his arm to shield his eyes.

Soon thereafter, a fiery explosion swept over the entire area.

“…the northern part of Castelia City completely burned to the ground, and that Victini disappeared.”

“I don’t care about that!” Olivia shouted, having gotten on her hands and knees so she could get right in Woods’s face. “I paid attention to your story, and I caught your dirty little secret! You have a Victory Star, don’t you?!”

“He did imply that he got one…” Matt concurred.

“So what is it?” Rowena demanded with her arms crossed. “What other secrets have you been keeping?”

Woods sighed. “You got me,” he said sadly, removing his eyepatch as he did so.

Indeed, underneath, his left eye was filled by the eight-pointed star symbol, just like the one Liam Everton now possessed. It wasn’t until they actually saw it that the group experienced a collective shock over this surprise, with a disjointed series of gasps, mumbles and simple staring greeting Woods’s revelation. Rowena was the one showing the most interest, as with this development, her story suddenly became a lot more interesting.

“But why did you hide it?” the reporter finally managed to ask.

“I couldn’t figure out how to use it. The contract I was forced into wasn’t clear to me. All I can understand of this power is that I cannot leave Whitegold City, as every time I try to, I black out and invariably end up back inside.”

“I would hypothesize,” Matt stated while staring at the floor, “that your contract has some connection to either Liam or Victini. If you can’t leave this city, you’re obviously bound to something inside of it.”

“What were you thinking of when Castelia City’s Victini forced the contract onto you?” Bunny asked, evidently having come up with a possible solution.

Woods shut his eyes and reflected back upon that night thirty-five years earlier. “What was I thinking of?” Despite being three-and-a-half decades old, the scene was still crystal clear in Woods’s mind, making it easy for the old man to recollect his mindset at the time. “Just before Victini forced the power onto me, I said that I wanted Liam’s vicious attack to stop…”

Without warning, the entire house was rocked by a violent explosion, and the building’s roof was torn off by a blast of purple energy, allowing the increasingly-heavy rain to pour in. Everton’s Hydreigon flew into view overhead shortly thereafter.

“****, he found us!” Nekou shrilled the second she saw the dragon.

Jumping to his feet, Matt shouted out, “Everyone, get out of here! This house is a death trap!”

The group scattered in their haste to escape the imminent danger Hydreigon posed. Woods, Rowena, Bunny and Katorena immediately fled for the exit, while Matt, Nekou and Olivia went in the opposite direction, hoping to pull Victini safely from where it was eating first.

Focusing on the latter group, Hydreigon turned and took a deep breath, then exhaled a jet of crimson fire. At first, Matt, Nekou and Olivia seemed like sitting ducks for this Flamethrower, but they found help from an unexpected source when Victini floated into the space between them and Hydreigon’s attack.

“Victini?” Olivia had no idea what Victini was doing, and therefore her knee-jerk reaction was that Victini intended to sacrifice itself to protect them.

Luckily, that was not the case. The tiny Legendary Pokémon’s eyes flashed and emitted arcs of silver light that pushed back against the flames. However, even Victini’s Psyshock was not strong enough to completely neutralize Hydreigon’s Flamethrower.

“Maractus, Energy Ball, let’s go!”

Having suddenly reappeared in the doorway with his Maractus, Woods ordered her forth to save the three. She pointed her right arm directly at the point where Psyshock and Flamethower were combining and launched a crackling green Energy Ball into the mix, causing an explosion that used up the power of all three.

“Why’d you come back, old man? We didn’t ask for…”

“Nekou, stuff it!” Matt scolded, grabbing her arm in his left hand and Olivia’s in his right. “We have to get out of here, now!”

With his two female companions firmly in his grasp and Victini floating in front of him, Matt hurried across the room to where Woods and Maractus were standing. Behind him, in the hallway leading directly to the exit, were Rowena, Bunny and Katorena.

The reformed group hastily headed for the door once their full numbers were collected, but before they could escape, Hydreigon snapped out of the daze that the explosion had placed him in. Enraged by his targets’ attempt to escape, he inhaled using all three of his heads and expelled a triple-strength Flamethrower into the house. The resulting fiery blast was so forceful that it threw all seven, screaming and flailing, outside into the driving rain. All that remained of Woods’s house, meanwhile, was a wooden wreck completely engulfed in flames.

“It’s good to see you again, Matt Chiaki,” Everton said with his best forced politeness, having disembarked his hoverboard a few feet away. “I believe we have some outstanding business to attend to. Give me Victini.”

“And why would I do that?” Matt countered, bringing himself back to his feet while the others did the same behind him. “Besides, you’ve gotten what you wanted already…” Matt’s stomach turned as he admitted this, but he had no other choice. “…so why do you still want Victini itself?”

“Isn’t it obvious?”

Just then, Baker and Foster finally caught up with Everton, pulling their truck into the clearing. Its tires squished in the mud as it stopped to allow its two occupants, as well as their Pokémon, to jump out.

“Captain Everton!” Baker called. “We’ve arrived!”

“Stand down,” was Everton’s order to them. Turning back to Matt, he spilled his plans. “Victini is necessary because it can produce unlimited energy within its body. It’s the ultimate future energy source… completely clean and limitless. But before I initiate the system to provide the world’s energy with Victini, I will first use my Victory Star to find all untapped oil fields on the planet. With control over all of the world’s oil, the vast wealth I will obtain will bring me power, and when all the oil is gone, I’ll simply put Victini’s energy into use. At that point, I will have massive wealth and control over the entire world’s energy!”

“It… can’t be…” stuttered a wide-eyed Rowena. “You wanted… all of this?”

“Yes, my dear Rowena! I will have money, the ability to see my way to any victory I wish for, and complete control over the world’s energy market! I have no need to exert any political control, no need to launch any war, no need to do anything beyond what I do now as president of Everton International! By controlling the one thing all people of all countries, colors and creeds need and just that thing alone, I will have the ability to control the entire world!”

As Everton let out an insane laugh, Matt and his allies could only look on and attempt to comprehend just what he aimed to do. Between them, they had to confess that his plan actually was solid – he was completely right that if one person controlled the world’s energy, they would have all nations at their beck and call with that influence. It quickly felt that the odds were stacking themselves in Everton’s favor beyond hope.

“You’ve got one problem, Liam,” Woods spoke up, a smug grin appearing on his face. “Everyone in this city will know that you have done something here today. Before you can take control of the planet’s energy sources, the people of Whitegold City will bring you down. Beware of underestimating them.”

Everton was unfazed by this threat; in fact, it almost seemed to make him more cocky. “I’ve already covered that angle!” he exclaimed, his eyes widening while their pupils and irises shrank. “Do you see around you right now? This storm that you see developing right now is my ultimate weapon, which I will destroy Whitegold City with!”

The meaning of Everton’s declaration hit the group instantly, making them all step back in horror. That one sentence – the warning that he would control the weather to destroy Whitegold City – completely changed their impressions of Everton. No longer was he the cruel-natured executive who would do anything for business success, he was now a psychopathic megalomaniac with no qualms about committing mass murder for his goals. Even Woods, who had known him for forty years and had held some faith in him until just earlier that day, could no longer see him as anything but a monster.

“The entire…” Bunny whispered, her shock rendering her barely able to breathe. “All of the people…”

“You’re a madman, Liam Everton!” blared Katorena, now trying to mask the overwhelming fear she felt. It was something she’d never dealt with before – prior to this, she’d never had to face such danger in life. Despite her fear, however, she knew that breaking free from her sheltered past would involve risks and she resolved to fight to the end. “What gives you the delusion you can exercise control over the weather and manipulate it to wage war on your own city?”

“It’s very simple! When I obtained the Victory Star, a thermal plume was released into the city, which increased the temperature of all the water in the city as well as the humidity in the air. The result? The storm that’s already developing right here as we speak. It won’t be long before the rain intensifies enough to breach the seawall protecting the city, and at that point, Whitegold City will flood completely! Everything and everyone will be destroyed, while my select few survive aboard my ark to head into a brand new world!”

“Have you no compassion in your heart at all?” Olivia had heard enough. Everton’s horrifying ramblings had pushed her too far, and with all of this piling on the significant stress she already felt, she snapped. “Maybe you have a chip on your shoulder at someone in this city, Mister Woods maybe? It doesn’t matter though, because if you have a problem with someone, you deal with it with that person! There are innocent men, women, children and Pokémon in this city that you have just threatened to kill! None of them have done anything to you, why, most of them probably don’t even know much about you! They’re all different, but one thing that they have in common is that they want to live! They want to live, and there’s no excuse for you trying to make yourself the judge of who gets that right! Every one of them…”

“I’ve humored you long enough,” Everton coldly interrupted. “Shut up. Whitegold City’s residents disgust me and they always have. Gambling, drinking, partying… the moral failings of this filthy city have gone on long enough. I am the one who will purge deviancy from this planet once and for all. My world will be controlled and the behavior that goes on in this city will never be tolerated anywhere again.”

“You? Purge deviancy from the world?” Matt had to bitterly laugh, but not fully because of how brazenly hypocritical Everton’s claim was. The laugh was born instead from the complete crushing pressure laid upon all his other emotions at the time.

“How did you avoid making a specific contract?” Woods managed to choke out. It was a good question, but he was the first of the group to think of it; Rowena, specifically, mentally noted that she wished she had come up with it before anyone else.

“I suppose I owe you trash an answer on that, at least.” Reaching up to his ear, Everton freed a thin headset and held it out for the group to see. It was so thin that it was nearly invisible when on his head, and it remained difficult to see in his hand due to the heavy rain. “This device connected me to the Dreamyarn Inceptor at my building.”

“It had a second function?” gasped Rowena.

“So you did know about it… I thought you would. Well, the Dreamyarn Inceptor is a machine powered by the Pokémon Musharna. Musharna ate my thoughts before I entered the energy field with Victini and continued to do so until I fully acquired the Victory Star, therefore keeping my mind blank. With nothing in my mind, Victini could latch onto nothing to force a contract onto me! Now, one more time, I’ll say it… give me Victini.”

“Olivia…” Matt whispered without turning around. “Take Victini and go with the others. Get out of here while you still can.”

“You’re going to fight them alone?!” Olivia was hesitant to accept this plan. She was smart enough to know that Matt stood no chance against Everton, Baker and Foster alone by himself, and that was a situation she couldn’t leave him in.

“No, the ruffian is not alone, for I am going to fight alongside him.”

Boldly stepping up to face the challenge of Everton’s team, Katorena surprised Matt, Olivia and all of the others. She wore a look of sheer, fearless determination that reflected her refusal to fold before the threat posed by Everton and his allies.

“Katorena, what are you…”

“Silence, you scruffy vagabond. You’re not refusing my help right now, when you need it more than ever.”

Matt gulped, resigning himself to the fact that Katorena was going to risk herself to try and help him. He wouldn’t accept the others placing themselves in harm’s way, though, so he turned to them and yelled, “Take Victini and go! Get out of here now! Go somewhere safe!”

The situation was so serious that even Nekou listened to Matt immediately. She, along with Rowena, Woods, Olivia and Bunny fled with Victini in tow. They hurried to Woods’s hovercraft and sped off further into the marsh.

“Hah!” Everton chuckled evilly. “Let them flee. Do any of you really think that it will make a difference?”

“We will stop you, vile man,” Katorena warned, doing her best to sound threatening.

“Will you, now? Your futile resistance is amusing to me. Baker, Foster, go forth and battle them!”

“Yes, Captain Everton!” the two security officials chanted in unison, pointing forward to send Sawk and Throh into battle.

Saying nothing and remaining blank-faced, Matt reached into his bag for the Poké Ball he needed to sent out Ayingott, while Katorena flung out the ball containing Beheeyem. The two female Psychic Pokémon growled, eager to go at their Fighting-type opponents.

“Ayingott, Air Slash!”

“Sawk, use Strength on Beheeyem!”

Baker’s Sawk pulled back his right arm and lowered his body, then sprinted through the rain toward Beheeyem, leaving clear footprints behind in the muddy ground. He was cut off when a blade of air Ayingott formed with her wings crashed down on him, knocking him back and making him flinch.

“That Sigilyph is open, Throh,” Foster pointed out to his Pokémon. “Stone Edge!”

Dozens of sharp-edged pebbles appeared around Throh in a ring shape. He looked directly at Ayingott before pulling his arms back; when he thrust them forward, the stones flew through the air at their target.

“How boring. Psychic!”

Beheeyem held up both of her arms, allowing the red, green and yellow lights on her hands to flash. The psychic power she generated took hold on some of the stones and halted them from hitting Ayingott, effectively halving the injury the Sigilyph suffered; as for the stones that Beheeyem took control of, she used them to craft what functioned as psychic bombs she rained back down onto Throh. This left the stout red Fighting-type with cuts all over his body, including holes sliced into his robes.

“Now you’re in my line of fire!” taunted Baker as he made the shape of a gun with his thumb, pointer and middle fingers on his right hand to gesture at Katorena. “Try Strength again!”

Because Ayingott was still shaking off her minor injuries from Throh’s Stone Edge, she was unable to stop Sawk from running right up to Beheeyem. He punched her in the face, sending her crashing into the trunk of a nearby tree with a loud thud. The bark of the thin tree even cracked slightly from the impact.

“Give it up!” Everton shouted from just behind Baker and Foster as Beheeyem pulled herself up off the ground. “I can see the path to my victory, so it is impossible for you to stop m…”

“Gluhgug!”

Barely two seconds after the deep voice cut into the clearing, an unknown object struck the ground near Everton’s group with such force that the three were thrown in differing directions. Matt didn’t have to wonder for long what the source of the ambush was, as it came into view almost immediately.

“Hethna, you’re back!” he sighed in relief upon seeing his Golurk flying overhead. The immense Ground-and-Ghost-type had used its Shadow Punch to stun Everton’s group and buy its trainer time. Taking advantage of this opening, Matt pointed to Everton’s abandoned hoverboard on the other side of the clearing and said, “Ayingott, use Psychic and bring that over here. Hurry!”

“Glyph!” Ayingott chirped in compliance, illuminating her eyes with her power.

The hoverboard had been knocked over onto its side when Hethna struck the ground with Shadow Punch. It rose up and floated toward Matt and Katorena just as Everton, Baker and Foster regained their composure, but by the time they were able to do something to stop its theft, it was out of reach.

“Katorena, let’s go! We can’t dawdle here anymore!”

“I’ll trust your judgment this time, lout. Don’t disappoint me.”

Matt stepped onto the hoverboard’s platform, and Katorena quickly jumped on as well, wrapping her arms around his midsection to brace herself. He wasted no time in lifting the hoverboard off the ground, and then piloted it off into the marsh in the same direction the others had gone earlier. Ayingott, Hethna and Beheeyem all followed.

Left behind with his bodyguards, Everton took several steps forward and simply stared out at the marshland.

“What should we do now, sir?” Foster shakily asked.

“You’re lucky there is a now for you two at the moment,” Everton growled. “I gave you a simple task, to take out those two punks, and you couldn’t even manage that. They got away from you and stole something that belongs to me!”

“I’m sorry…”

“Shut up, Baker, I’m not interested in hearing your whine. Hmph… they think they’ve gotten away from me? I’ll show them how wrong they really are. Foster, go get the helicopter and return to our base. I want you to collect Fennel, all her data and Musharna, then head to the ark and prepare for launch. Round up the sleeping Pokémon as well, because they will be valuable resources in the new world.”

“Yes, my captain.”

“What are my orders, sir?”

“I’m tempted to tell you to drive off a cliff, Baker, but I’ll give you a chance to prove that you’re still a worthwhile investment. Follow me in the truck and remain on standby for further orders.”

While Baker watched in silence, Foster turned and jogged out of the clearing, and Everton climbed onto the back of his Hydreigon.

“Now, Victini, you will not escape me!”

Giovanni and Stacia stood side-by-side in front of a videophone screen in his office. The Gym Leader and secretive crime boss was connected on a call to another man, and appeared agitated from how he clenched his teeth.

“You’re a difficult man to get ahold of, Tobias,” Giovanni said, his voice lowering into a growl.

“I’m very busy,” Tobias replied. When he moved his head, his long, flowing blue-gray hair shuddered subtly, with a thick lock of it settling over his left eye. “Obviously, you can understand, being in a similar position to me yourself. I’m taking time out of a very important meeting with Angel Corporation chairwoman Gabriella for this.”

A middle-aged woman completely cloaked in vivid golden hair burst into the picture from the side of the screen. “Hi, Giovanni! Keeping busy?”

It was evident that Gabriella was avoiding Giovanni’s recent legal troubles, so he did not bring them up himself. “Of course, Gabriella. Things are always busy here at Viridian Gym. Now, if you don’t mind, I really need to talk to Tobias.”

“Sorry!” Nodding profusely, Gabriella disappeared as quickly as she had entered.

“So what is this urgent emergency that you called me about?” Tobias inquired matter-of-factly. “I am expecting to hear something actually important.”

“I’ll cut right to the chase,” responded the rigid-faced Giovanni. “I am sure that you have been following the events unfolding in Whitegold City today, Tobias.”

“I’m aware of them, yes. What about it, though?”

“Have you checked the stock market today, then?” When Tobias didn’t reply, Giovanni continued, “I’ve been watching the numbers for several hours now. Everything is going down dramatically except for shares in precious goods. Now tell me, is it not suspicious that all these things are happening on the very same day in conjunction with each other?”

“I agree that today is a peculiar day,” Tobias concurred while shutting his one visible eye, “but I can’t take action based on sheer speculation. What is it you expect me to do?”

“I think you should get in touch with officials over in Unova and at the Black City Exchange.” Giovanni’s tone changed slightly, reflective of the rising tension and anger he felt. The change was too subtle for Tobias to pick up on, but Stacia perceived it and cringed. “Have them check for any accounts in Liam Everton’s name and what investments are on them. I strongly suspect he is causing the events in Whitegold City in order to manipulate the stock market and make a fortune in profit.”

“I’ll have to see what I can do.”

The video cut out on Giovanni’s end as Tobias abruptly terminated the call. Realizing just how pointless it likely was to appeal to the governor, who was someone he hated, Giovanni was overcome with a sudden fit of rage that drove him to pound his fist into the wall. Persian jumped up in shock from the sound that reverberated through the office and meowed loudly, but Stacia remained nearly completely still.

“Mister Giovanni,” she said in a voice laced with eerie calm. Her face darkened and her glasses filled with light as she lowered her head slightly. “Would you like me to go to Whitegold City and deal with Everton?”

“That won’t be necessary, Stacia. This incident has already gone long past the time for your skills. All we can do now is sit back and watch while we hope that Tobias figures out a way to do something.”

Meanwhile, in his own office – very similar in appearance to Giovanni’s, but noticeably higher-tech – Tobias stood staring at the blank videophone screen for several moments before turning around. The red half-cape that hung on his shoulders ruffled subtly over his tight gray suit as he moved.

“You know more about what’s going on in Whitegold City than you told him, don’t you?” questioned Gabriella, who was sitting in an ornate chair in front of Tobias’s desk.

“I’ve been had. Everton told me he was going to research a new energy source, but he never specified what it was. I was stupid to trust him… Giovanni’s suggestion is sound. I must do something to reverse the mistake I’ve made.”

With Matt and Katorena now aboard, Everton’s hoverboard glided over the marsh water at a high speed. Hethna and Ayingott flew alongside it, just able to keep up. Beheeyem, meanwhile, had to hang onto Hethna’s back because of her lack of actual flight skills.

Ordinarily it would have been easy for anyone, especially a newcomer, to get lost in the labyrinth of the marsh’s offshoots, but with the hoverboard at his disposal, Matt had access to one of Everton’s most convenient tools. The map of Whitegold City installed into the dashboard provided a convenient resource on the routes they needed to follow, and the sensor of Victini’s heat signature made it possible to follow where the others had gone.

“Do you know where they’re going yet?” Katorena had to strain to raise her voice over the wind and rain buffeting her and Matt, while still maintaining her grip around his torso.

Matt looked down at the map and pondered briefly where it appeared that Nekou, Bunny, Olivia, Woods, Rowena and Victini were going. Almost immediately the answer came to him. “We’re heading for the home of Aurelie the fortuneteller. I’m beginning to think that may be the one safe place left in this city.”

“Nowhere is safe for you!”

Matt and Katorena nearly fell off the hoverboard in terrified shock when Everton roared up alongside them on his Hydreigon, shoving Hethna and Ayingott out of his way as he did so. The increasingly harsh weather didn’t faze him at all; in fact, he almost seemed invigorated by every drop of water that made contact with him. Sanity was visibly fading fast from his eyes, his irises and pupils narrowing while the eyelids around them twitched.

“Damn it!” Matt choked out. He didn’t have time for an emotional reaction to the continuing struggle, however – he quickly realized that Everton was guiding Hydreigon to ram the hoverboard with the clear intent of downing it. “Katorena, hold on!”

By pulling back on the hoverboard’s control handles, Matt was able to abruptly pull the craft upward, enabling a last-second escape from Hydreigon’s attack. Katorena screamed, despite realizing that the alternative of the maneuver was much worse.

Together, they mutually realized that Everton was indeed right about one thing – nowhere was safe. Escape was impossible. Accepting and resigning himself to this reality, Matt made mental preparations for an aerial fight.

“Ayingott, put him down quickly!” he yelled out to his Pokémon in the storm as he stabilized the hoverboard. Delegating the responsibility of defeating Everton and Hydreigon to his Sigilyph, Matt gave the order, “Ice Beam!”

“Do you really think that feeble attack will be enough to stop me?” Everton taunted, pulling his own Pokémon back slightly. “Hydreigon, use Tri Attack!”

Ayingott’s one shot of ice energy was met by a triple counterattack made up of three rays; Hydreigon’s left and right heads launched electricity and ice respectively, while his central head added fire to the mix. The three blasts easily overpowered the single one opposing them and plowed into Ayingott.

“Sigilll…” she squalled weakly as her burned body fell from the sky.

Gritting his teeth, Matt decided that he would not let Everton harm his Pokémon further, and pulled out a Poké Ball. “Ayingott, come back now! Have a rest!”

“That was a smart move, boy!” Everton menacingly bellowed as the Sigilyph was pulled back to the relative safety of her ball. “You two no longer have Victini with you, so I don’t need to concern myself with preserving you any further. All you two are is a pair of speed bumps to me. Hydreigon, finish them off!”

Opening the mouth of his central head wide, Hydreigon began gathering the energy for a Focus Blast attack. He was not particularly fast about it, which afforded Matt and Katorena the chance to reposition themselves outside of his targeting range.

However, just before the pulsing red orb was loosed by the dragon, Everton called out, “Victory Star!”

The Focus Blast was fired, and it missed Matt and Katorena by a wide margin. Instead of careening out of control into the ground like one would have expected, however, it curved around and began going back up toward its target from behind.

“Aww hell…”

“What is this right debacle?!” Katorena shrilled, still holding onto Matt for dear life as he attempted to fly away from the Focus Blast. Neither of them could believe what they were seeing.

The pair were only saved when Hethna rocketed into the way and intercepted the attack, which did not affect it at all. Still, though, Everton laughed at the courage exhibited by the Ground-and-Ghost-type.

“My Victory Star not only allows me to see my road to victory, it makes sure my Pokémon will be victorious as well. Your Golurk’s feeble resistance has done nothing but ensure its fate before even your own!”

Removing his focus from Matt and Katorena, Hydreigon turned his attention to Hethna. The energy of Dragon Pulse took shape near his center head’s mouth and swiftly grew in intensity, burning away every drop of rain that hit it in a tiny burst of steam.

“Brick Break, now!” Matt desperately cried out. He could see that the only chance he had was to stop Everton’s attacks before they could be executed. Even if it was only a narrow opening, he had to take it.

Hethna deactivated the rocket in its right arm and returned its hand to its place. It then cut through the downpour on its remaining two rockets with a powerful punch readied. Though the situation was overwhelmingly dangerous and the attack incredibly risky, Hethna followed through with undying loyalty. Likewise, Hydreigon showed his master that same stiff allegiance, and hovered still in the path of Hethna’s swing, not backing down from his Dragon Pulse.

With neither Pokémon backing down, Hethna used its Brick Break to strike Hydreigon’s Dragon Pulse. Because it was unfinished, Hydreigon’s energy blast was still highly unstable, and it exploded upon being hit.

Leaves from the nearby trees flew everywhere as Hethna and Hydreigon were pushed back. Everton gripped the back of his dragon’s neck to hold on, while Hethna fell down near the ground before managing to launch back up again. A circle was blasted out of the underbrush where Hethna powered up its rockets, but the small fires that ignited were quickly snuffed out by the rain.

Hethna refused to fail in the struggle, and thus blitzed Hydreigon again, this time without orders to do so. This time it tried to restrain the Dark-and-Dragon-type by grabbing hold of his two undeveloped side heads. It worked as a surprise tactic to a degree; Hydreigon began thrashing, unsure at first how to handle the restraint placed on its extremities. The two Pokémon spun in an intense midair dance, moving violently enough to throw Katorena’s Beheeyem off of Hethna’s back. Luckily, Matt was able to fly the hoverboard into a position where Katorena could catch her Pokémon with her arm before she fell.

“Beheeyem, are you injured?” Katorena tenderly whispered, showing concern for her Pokémon that belied the stuffy attitude she usually directed at others. She smiled faintly when Beheeyem nodded in affirmation of her safety.

“I’ve had enough of you, Matt Chiaki!” Everton yelled, breaking up the odd calmness of the scene. “Hydreigon, dispose of this pest Golurk!”

Pulling his center head up and away from Hethna, Hydreigon expelled a stream of fire from his mouth, completely engulfing the Golurk at point-blank range. It was pulled off of its opponent by this Flamethrower attack and significantly weakened, being sent plummeting downward with burns all over its gray body.

“Hethna!” Matt cried out, his hand immediately going to the Poké Ball his Golurk belonged in. Before Hethna could hit the ground, its trainer made sure it was pulled back into the confines of the ball, which would ensure its safety.

However, that insurance came with a price. By making sure that Hethna would remain safe, Matt had removed from the equation the last defense he and Katorena had standing between themselves and Everton’s Hydreigon. It was a price he was willing to pay for the security of something important to him, but even with that, Matt still shivered when Hydreigon assumed an even level with the hoverboard in the air.

“Are you finished yet, boy?” taunted Everton, who was overwhelmingly ready to claim his final victory over Matt’s efforts. “I’d say you are. Now, it’s time you stopped standing in the way of the future of energy and this planet! Have you got any last words?”

“I do,” Katorena suddenly interrupted, tossing Beheeyem upward. “Beheeyem, Hypnosis!”

Stabilizing in the air about a foot above the heads of Matt and Katorena, Beheeyem locked her gaze with Hydreigon’s. Then, while the lights on her fingers flashed, waves of purple energy floated out of her eyes. Hydreigon instantly became drowsy and fell asleep, causing him to fall from the sky; this sudden turn of events left an angered Everton to deftly jump off of his Pokémon’s back before he crashed on the swamp bank.

“Good thinking, Katorena!” Matt hastily complimented to express his gratitude for her actions.

“Don’t waste time groveling at my feet,” she scolded in response while calling Beheeyem back to her Poké Ball. “We must reunite with the others in our group at once! Make haste!”

From his vantage point on the muddy bank of the marsh, Everton watched in seething silence as Matt and Katorena disappeared from view on their stolen hoverboard, heading off deeper into the swamps to join up with Rowena, Woods and the others. That was where Victini was too, and Everton knew he had to get there somehow. He simply clenched his fist tightly, only stopping when he heard the sound of a truck engine followed by hurried footsteps.

“Captain Everton, are you alright?!” Baker choked as he burst from the foliage, soaked from the rain. “What’s happened?”

Suddenly relaxing, Everton chuckled. He recalled the still-sleeping Hydreigon to his Ultra Ball, then answered Baker’s question. “That ***** with the royal attitude pulled a fast one on me and managed to put Hydreigon to sleep. It doesn’t matter, though. If they think they’ve won, I pity them.”

END of CHAPTER 3

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Over the first part, I’m actually wondering as to why such a system to stop the market from going further down hasn’t been implemented yet (like the New York Stock Exchange’s system where after the markets go down on a certain number of points the trading is suspended for the day, which I’m sure you know already). Then again, I guess the stock market in Pokemon hasn’t considered a situation like that to occur? XD Sorry, just a bit amused over that.

Reading further, I quite like both backstories of Becket and Liam Everton from Woods’s point of view. I already guess Christina is Cresselia before Bunny mentioned it, but it’s still quite fascinating over what the end result of Christina’s wish was. Woods’s end result of his own contract is very interesting too.

The Matt and Katroena vs. Liam battle is very nicely done. Yay for Hethena the Golurk helping out and Katroena pulling a trick last second at Liam’s Hydreigon. Too bad Liam’s not going to give up that easy, bleh.

A couple other quick things I want to mention that stood out for me this chapter. I really love how Olivia is bold enough to stand up to Liam despite him brushing her off. She has come a long way from XD^3, that’s for sure. There’s also of course Liam wanting to control the world and going to kill all of the people in Whitegold City. I expected that to happen, but he still sickens me a lot. Hate him hate him hate him! D<

I think quite a few things happened in this chapter even if most of it is just backstory and I still enjoy reading this a lot. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Last edited:

Matori

THE QUEEN IS BACK
I really enjoyed this chapter and I feel like it's one of your best so far. Your characterization in this chapter was fantastic and while I loved it all I especially loved how you write Katorena as a complete little diva. Her speech style is so adorable and irresistable. I also really enjoyed how you portrayed Zager- as an eccentric but good hearted mad doctor. I also get the feeling Foster is a nicer henchman than we thought, given his interactions with Rowena. You nailed Nekou's personality again, as usual, in this chapter, and she was extremely entertaining to read and adorable as well, as was Olivia. You also continue to do great work making Everton a convincing and terrifying villain. Just when you think he can't get nastier he tops himself.

The action in this chapter was also really well paced. You did a fantastic job with the swamp chase scene, especially maintaining the tension in it, and I also liked the work you did with the scenes in Giovanni and Zager's offices- taking what would normally be really dull and making it just as suspenseful as the rest of the story. It's not easy to make something like the stock market interesting but you pulled it off anyway.

I also think you did a great job showing the backstory in this chapter. Everything you brought up came out smoothly and felt like it had a place in the story, and didn't interrupt the action but rather fit in perfectly. It felt perfectly natural to me.

Great work on this. I'm looking forward to your next chapter!

Last edited:

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
I’m here from The Review Game so I’ll be starting at the beginning and reviewing the prologue. Hopefully I’ll be able to continue onward after this as well. Do keep in mind that I haven't read "Operation GEAR: The Firestorm Rebellion" so the events of that will be completely lost on me.

The first thing that struck me about your style is how cinematic it is. I was kind of thrown for a loop at first at the mix of traditional prose, intro narration, and stage directions, but it makes a great deal of sense given that a Pokemon movie seems to be the genre you're going for (though I sense that it will be skewed toward an older audience just from the opening chapter). In some ways this really works to give that familiar sensation you get when you watch a movie like this--it gives more ease to dishing out exposition and cutting between different scenes and the first half of the prologue in particular is filled with that sense of epic promise that readers expect from something of this genre.

However, it hard to ignore that there are weaknesses to using the same style for two different mediums. Let me explain using one of your pieces from the opening:

[In a thick forest, Petilil, Lilligant, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Blitzle and Zebstrika lounge in and around a huge tree. Several Samurott, Lumineon, Gastrodon, Luvdisc, Huntail and Gorebyss swim in the deep ocean. A desert plays host to Dwebble, Crustle, Sandile, Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon and a single Volcarona. Finally, Seel, Dewgong, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Mamoswine and Abomasnow live on an icy tundra near the water.]

If this was literally a movie opening and we could see all this being animated, it would probably be a cool scene. Here it's less a description and more of a stage direction--and at a certain point it becomes a tedious list. It would be a great scene to describe if you took advantage of the strengths of your medium of choice: describe not only the sight of the movement, but the sounds, scents, tactile feeling, and even taste (perhaps of the salt water). I really do like that you're going for a cinematic feel, because it works for this kind of thing... but it's better not to get too hamstrung by that because there are things that work in a visual medium that will not work as well in text. And to be honest, I had the urge to skip over these stage directions.

You do a very good job of building suspense in the first half. There is not only tension as to what will happen next, but tension between Fennel and Everton. Makes me want to stick around and see what's going to happen next.

One thing I noticed cropping up a lot in this chapter that you might want to watch out for is an over-reliance on static verbs like 'was.' Now, don't worry, this is something that all writers everywhere struggle with. 'Was' is such a helpful little word and oftentimes extremely necessary. But your sentences will almost always sound better with dynamic verbs. I suggest that when you proofread you look for sentences in which 'was' (or another static verb like 'is' or any form of 'to be') is the verb, and see if you can rewrite it with a more concrete verb in its place.

Example:

A powerful energy pulse was suddenly forced through her body, making her writhe violently.

Dynamic Verb Rewrite:

A powerful energy pulsed through her body, making her writhe violently.

The reason you want to stay away from static verbs is that they sap the text of any sense of movement, whereas dynamic verbs are more energetic. Like I said, static verbs have their place and are unavoidable sometimes, but it's a good proofreading exercise to try to replace them with something stronger.

You did a good job introducing our main characters, particularly Matt and Nekou. You were able to set up their characterization through dialogue and mannerisms instead of using exposition which is always the more subtle option. I liked the light sexual tension you established between Matt and Nekou in the way she expresses concern through insults, his responses to her, and his physical attraction to her in noting her clothing (or lack thereof). The flow of these conversations worked very well.

I'm interested in why Nekou dislikes having her picture taken. I could be wrong and it might just be a cute character trait, but my foreshadowing senses are tingling. Or maybe this just has something to do with a past story. I have no idea XD

Minor word-choice nitpick:

“You sure do like attention, don’t you…” Matt sarcastically uttered under his breath,

Is 'sarcastically' the right word in this instance? That would imply that he doesn't think she likes attention, which doesn't really make sense to me. I think the line would have to be changed to "You sure don't like attention, do you?" to make it actually sarcastic. With the line as it is, perhaps sardonically or teasingly or mockingly would work better.

Taking up his messenger bag, which had six silver buttons and a crest pattern based on a legendary Pokémon on it, Matt turned to his three female teammates. “Well, it’s finally just about time. Let’s have a good time in Whitegold City, alright?”

While you set up some really strong reasons for the reader to continue on during the first part of your prologue, to me this doesn't feel like the strongest note to end a chapter on. I realize you can only fit so much in a chapter, and that there is some legitimate unease the reader could feel about the need for identification, but the suspense is really not so heightened that it makes your reader say "I've got to read that next chapter right now!" Again, that level of suspense is not something you can always get at the end of a chapter, but it's desireable.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I’m here from The Review Game so I’ll be starting at the beginning and reviewing the prologue. Hopefully I’ll be able to continue onward after this as well. Do keep in mind that I haven't read "Operation GEAR: The Firestorm Rebellion" so the events of that will be completely lost on me.

Thanks for doing this, and I hope you'll be able to, too. Let's get down to it.

Reading the other story isn't 100% necessary, but if you feel so inclined to read it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to.

The first thing that struck me about your style is how cinematic it is. I was kind of thrown for a loop at first at the mix of traditional prose, intro narration, and stage directions, but it makes a great deal of sense given that a Pokemon movie seems to be the genre you're going for (though I sense that it will be skewed toward an older audience just from the opening chapter). In some ways this really works to give that familiar sensation you get when you watch a movie like this--it gives more ease to dishing out exposition and cutting between different scenes and the first half of the prologue in particular is filled with that sense of epic promise that readers expect from something of this genre.

I think you've pretty much summed up what I use the introductions for. Good work pointing out that the story is geared toward an older audience, which is something that the use of the introduction and Pokemon movie motif helps with - it creates a contrast between the two and establishes that this is a very different story told within a familiar structure.

Glad you liked it.

However, it hard to ignore that there are weaknesses to using the same style for two different mediums. Let me explain using one of your pieces from the opening:

If this was literally a movie opening and we could see all this being animated, it would probably be a cool scene. Here it's less a description and more of a stage direction--and at a certain point it becomes a tedious list. It would be a great scene to describe if you took advantage of the strengths of your medium of choice: describe not only the sight of the movement, but the sounds, scents, tactile feeling, and even taste (perhaps of the salt water). I really do like that you're going for a cinematic feel, because it works for this kind of thing... but it's better not to get too hamstrung by that because there are things that work in a visual medium that will not work as well in text. And to be honest, I had the urge to skip over these stage directions.

I'll be honest, I hadn't actually thought of it this way before, but now that you've pointed it out to me, I completely see your point. I will have to re-evaluate the technique if I decide to use it again in the future.

You do a very good job of building suspense in the first half. There is not only tension as to what will happen next, but tension between Fennel and Everton. Makes me want to stick around and see what's going to happen next.

Yes, I'm glad you thought that. While I will admit that Fennel is a bit more of a background character than others, I can still honestly say that I love creating characters with outsize personalities (like Everton) who create that exact dynamic between themselves and others.

Alternatively, you could just say that Everton is good at creating tension around himself... ;)

One thing I noticed cropping up a lot in this chapter that you might want to watch out for is an over-reliance on static verbs like 'was.' Now, don't worry, this is something that all writers everywhere struggle with. 'Was' is such a helpful little word and oftentimes extremely necessary. But your sentences will almost always sound better with dynamic verbs. I suggest that when you proofread you look for sentences in which 'was' (or another static verb like 'is' or any form of 'to be') is the verb, and see if you can rewrite it with a more concrete verb in its place.

Example:

Dynamic Verb Rewrite:

A powerful energy pulsed through her body, making her writhe violently.

The reason you want to stay away from static verbs is that they sap the text of any sense of movement, whereas dynamic verbs are more energetic. Like I said, static verbs have their place and are unavoidable sometimes, but it's a good proofreading exercise to try to replace them with something stronger.

I struggle with wording sometimes, so I appreciate this advice. It's quite helpful.

You did a good job introducing our main characters, particularly Matt and Nekou. You were able to set up their characterization through dialogue and mannerisms instead of using exposition which is always the more subtle option. I liked the light sexual tension you established between Matt and Nekou in the way she expresses concern through insults, his responses to her, and his physical attraction to her in noting her clothing (or lack thereof). The flow of these conversations worked very well.

Interesting interpretation of that scene. Perhaps it is here most where reading the previous story may have helped (Matt is so caught up in problems from the past that he likely would not have that kind of attraction to her here) but again, it's really either/or.

I'm glad this part worked out. Characters are really what I want to emphasize the most, and it sounds like I managed it pretty well.

I'm interested in why Nekou dislikes having her picture taken. I could be wrong and it might just be a cute character trait, but my foreshadowing senses are tingling. Or maybe this just has something to do with a past story. I have no idea XD

Cute character trait. For now.

Minor word-choice nitpick:

Is 'sarcastically' the right word in this instance? That would imply that he doesn't think she likes attention, which doesn't really make sense to me. I think the line would have to be changed to "You sure don't like attention, do you?" to make it actually sarcastic. With the line as it is, perhaps sardonically or teasingly or mockingly would work better.

I didn't see it at first, but I read the line again, and I think I do agree with your assessment here. Which of the two options would you personally go with, changing the line to fit 'sarcasm' or changing sarcasm to 'mockingly?'

While you set up some really strong reasons for the reader to continue on during the first part of your prologue, to me this doesn't feel like the strongest note to end a chapter on. I realize you can only fit so much in a chapter, and that there is some legitimate unease the reader could feel about the need for identification, but the suspense is really not so heightened that it makes your reader say "I've got to read that next chapter right now!" Again, that level of suspense is not something you can always get at the end of a chapter, but it's desireable.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think on this one we just have a difference of opinion. I thought the line did manage to end at a point where the reader would wonder what is going to happen next, but if you disagree, I respect that.

I'm very pleased with your review, so I hope you'll come back for more!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, I finally found the time to read it like you asked of me. However...

I'm sorry, Butler, I tried to read it all, but I just can't finish it. I just stopped in the middle of the second chapter, I couldn't go on. I'll try to explain why without sounding mean. Because I willingly read this story on your request, so it's not like I didn't care for the story, I was looking forward to reading it, but... I don't think it was my expectations that was the cause of my loss of interest. Heaven knows I enjoy reading long stories, I look forward to reading them... oh, I'll just get to the meat of the review.

Okay, for one thing, I have no-o-o-o-o-o clue about Unova whatsoever (because I can care less for Unova). The Pokémon I can kinda see since I've seen them around here, but otherwise, I don't get Unova. That's one of my reasons, the story got confusing very quickly because of where it was being set-up. I don't know if that's the main, main reason, but that helped the confusion.

Second, the characters are confusing to me. I can see who Everton is, (since he's your avatar and thus has the works and looks of a villain mastermind), and you have added a few others whose names and faces I do recognize, but that was it. You say this is a sequel? Well, I think I was supposed to read the sequel to understand what was going on. I mean... Matt's an android/cyborg? Wait, wha? Where did that come from? Did I miss something important in the first chapter prior to his speech? Something about him being... the worry about shorting him out... huh? Who's Polaris, why'd they only show up for that one part? Anyway, I'm rambling... Out of all his group of female companions, I like Nekou the most for being more open about herself, but even then, she can get rather annoying. Everyone else was just “meh”, even Matt (and *le gasp* Giovanni, my favorite Pokémon villain, and Butler and Diane) is “meh”. Again, it could be that I needed to read the sequel, but I couldn't connect to the characters. Not even the Pokémon. (Again, knowing little about what Pokémon are what might've attributed to it.) I'm sure their characters got more interesting as the story went on, but usually by the end of the first chapter, the reader knows whether-or-not he or she is going to like the characters. And I didn't like them. I'm sure you were trying to show how normal they can be, but even then, they couldn't keep the interest going strong for me.

Third, though this isn't that negative, the layout. Your writing style's fine, but it's the way you cut to-and-from different parts is what confused me and, in chapter two, annoyed me. I could care less about the details of Cresselia's and Darkrai's fight (even though I really like Cresselia and Darkrai). They were fighting, okay, move along with the story. I don't want to know what moves they were using, or where they were, what was destroyed, and so on. The anime might do that, but at least the scenes went by quickly enough to easily forget them, or they were awesome enough to like. You were being too descriptive about the battle. And the fact Victini was off doing something else, even though it's part of the story, and just being cute didn't help any.

Finally, the story.

...what's the story? Everton is using Darkrai to draw out Cresselia in some (original?) city because she's Victini's guardian so he could capture Victini and use the Victory Star for... something. Meanwhile, Matt and gang are at a conference about clean energy, and get caught up in this, and Giovanni has something to do with the plot even though he's under house arrest and is sitting at home in his robe secretly keeping track of it all. *shrug* I didn't get it.

Again, I'm sorry Butler. This just isn't my kind of story. Sure, I have read similar stories (in different fandoms), but this isn't the genre for me, unless it kept my interest and made me want more, but this story didn't do that for me. I tried to read it carefully to see what caught my interest, but for the few times it did, like Nekou and what she did on her own spare time, they weren't strong enough to keep me here. I feel bad for not liking it, seeing as everyone else enjoys it (and knows what's going on). I may come back and re-read it again since I'm positive I'm missing something important, but not as of now. Sorry...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Okay, for one thing, I have no-o-o-o-o-o clue about Unova whatsoever (because I can care less for Unova). The Pokémon I can kinda see since I've seen them around here, but otherwise, I don't get Unova. That's one of my reasons, the story got confusing very quickly because of where it was being set-up. I don't know if that's the main, main reason, but that helped the confusion.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're referring to the story being set in the Unova Region as being a source of confusion? Not to be rude, but Kanto is referenced as the regional setting early in the prologue. Granted, the main focus of the story is in an original city, but that's beside this point.

Second, the characters are confusing to me. I can see who Everton is, (since he's your avatar and thus has the works and looks of a villain mastermind), and you have added a few others whose names and faces I do recognize, but that was it.

That's not Everton. My avatar is Dr. Zager, a Team Rocket scientist; their only common characteristics are that they're old men with monocles.

The primary cast is made up of original characters, I don't think I made it seem otherwise.

You say this is a sequel? Well, I think I was supposed to read the sequel to understand what was going on. I mean... Matt's an android/cyborg? Wait, wha? Where did that come from?

I think you've got a point there. While I wrote it I thought I had touched on the fact he's the way he is due to having his original organic body damaged beyond repair in the past, but maybe I could have reworked some of the dialogue to make that a bit more clear.

Who's Polaris, why'd they only show up for that one part?

I can't sufficiently answer this without spoiling the ending for other readers.

Out of all his group of female companions, I like Nekou the most for being more open about herself, but even then, she can get rather annoying. Everyone else was just “meh”, even Matt

I'm not sure what I can tell you, unfortunately. :\ If the characters didn't click for you, they just didn't click for you. Overall, I'm getting good feedback on them, so I'm inclined to believe that this is just an unfortunate difference between us that exists.

Third, though this isn't that negative, the layout. Your writing style's fine, but it's the way you cut to-and-from different parts is what confused me and, in chapter two, annoyed me. I could care less about the details of Cresselia's and Darkrai's fight (even though I really like Cresselia and Darkrai). They were fighting, okay, move along with the story. I don't want to know what moves they were using, or where they were, what was destroyed, and so on. The anime might do that, but at least the scenes went by quickly enough to easily forget them, or they were awesome enough to like. You were being too descriptive about the battle

Again, I'm not quite sure what you'd like me to say. This is the first time I've ever heard "too descriptive" as a complaint when purple prose isn't in play itself. The battle scenes between Darkrai and Cresselia are there because this is a story involving a lot of action, which will only ramp up even further towards the end as the plot unfolds and the various threads come together.

As for the cutting to different scenes, there are quite a few things going on, so they need to be shown.

i ...what's the story? Everton is using Darkrai to draw out Cresselia in some (original?) city because she's Victini's guardian so he could capture Victini and use the Victory Star for... something. Meanwhile, Matt and gang are at a conference about clean energy, and get caught up in this, and Giovanni has something to do with the plot even though he's under house arrest and is sitting at home in his robe secretly keeping track of it all. *shrug* I didn't get it.

For how far in you went, you actually got it exactly how it was intended. Everton's true plans become clear relatively soon, and Giovanni's role in the story - which actually does have some effect on the plot even though he is far away from the action - becomes defined.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't like it. It sounds like the majority of your concerns, while well-founded, simply worked up to a difference of view between us and nothing more. We just have differing opinions on our preferences.

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Hi! Great job on this chapter. I really liked the battle scenes - especially the one between Matt and Katorena and Everton in the sky - as well as Woods' memory of the shipwreck. Christina transforming into Cresselia was also quite interesting. It further explains why she and Victini are bonded so well - because they had known each other for so long.

The pair were only saved when Hethna rocketed into the way and intercepted the attack, which did not affect it at all. Still, though, Everton laughed at the courage exhibited by the Ground-and-Ghost-type.

“My Victory Star not only allows me to see my road to victory, it makes sure my Pokémon will be victorious as well. Your Golurk’s feeble resistance has done nothing but ensure its fate before even your own!”

Interesting - so Everton essentially can't lose in battle? Wow. That makes him even more formidable of an opponent.

“What is this right debacle?!” Katorena shrilled, still holding onto Matt for dear life as he attempted to fly away from the Focus Blast. Neither of them could believe what they were seeing.
Katorena's overly formal method of speech is awesome. XD I didn't even know what "debacle" meant until I read this and looked it up. Yay, new vocabulary word for the day! :D

Also, Everton has cracked. He was already quite evil before, but now it's getting even worse...whoa ^^

Excited for the next chapter.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
Alright. I really ought to have reviewed your chapter much earlier than today, but hopefully this will be good enough to make up for it.

I'm stunned that Woods made a contract as well. You know, I have a strong feeling that he and his unfinished contract are going to become a major part of the plot. I just wonder if it's going to turn out to be anything like Christina's contract. It's also making me wonder what will happen to Liam Everton; his motives are much more selfish than Woods' or Christina's.

Speaking of Everton, I have to say that his plan is a lot more than merely "solid". This is a complicated plan that likely took years to think up and work out the kinks and even longer to put it into action. Still, the thing I noticed is how much Everton has changed since he tried to attack the other Victini. What used to be a rash young man who used force to answer all of his problems has evolved into a cold-blooded psychopath who is able to use anything and everything to gain an edge. The Everton of today has used diplomacy, blackmail, and deception to get where he is right now. He used force only when he had to, and even at this moment, only a select group of people know how evil he really is - and I really do think that only he knows what his ultimate goal is.

It's no wonder why Woods thought that Everton was a changed man. He did change. Unfortunately, it was for the worse, and Everton became adept at hiding his darker side. Honestly, he's one of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

The battle scene was very nice, and I particularly loved the unexpected Hypnosis attack at the end. It's not an attack one would normally think of when total annihilation is imminent, but it worked to perfection. Kudos to Katorena and her quick thinking.

Did I mention that Giovanni is awesome? He's ignoring the fact that the storm's going to wipe out an entire city, while lamenting the fact that Everton had the nerve to commit an economic act of terrorism by causing the storm and "predicting" it in the stock market. That's just sheer brilliance.

I'm confused about one thing, though: what happened to Becket Everton after he survived the sinking of his ship? Your story doesn't mention him after Christina/Cresselia appears to him and Woods. I mean, I have to assume that Becket's dead after all this time; otherwise, he'd be in control of the company. What I'm wondering is how he died...

Never mind. I hope that this review will suffice.

Sincerely,

Mem.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Hi! Great job on this chapter. I really liked the battle scenes - especially the one between Matt and Katorena and Everton in the sky

That was just a warmup.

- as well as Woods' memory of the shipwreck. Christina transforming into Cresselia was also quite interesting. It further explains why she and Victini are bonded so well - because they had known each other for so long.

That, and the nature of her contract - to survive to protect Victini.

Interesting - so Everton essentially can't lose in battle? Wow. That makes him even more formidable of an opponent.

Victory Star is actually Victini's Ability in the games. In Double and Triple Battles, when Victini is one of your active Pokemon, it along with all of its allies receives an accuracy boost. That was the basis for the development of what the Victory Star's power does in the story.

Katorena's overly formal method of speech is awesome. XD I didn't even know what "debacle" meant until I read this and looked it up. Yay, new vocabulary word for the day! :D

You'll find that happening a lot with her. XD^^

SilentMemento said:
Alright. I really ought to have reviewed your chapter much earlier than today, but hopefully this will be good enough to make up for it.

Don't worry about it. You more than made up for it.

I'm stunned that Woods made a contract as well. You know, I have a strong feeling that he and his unfinished contract are going to become a major part of the plot. I just wonder if it's going to turn out to be anything like Christina's contract. It's also making me wonder what will happen to Liam Everton; his motives are much more selfish than Woods' or Christina's.

These are all good and relevant points to raise, and good things to keep in mind going forward.

Speaking of Everton, I have to say that his plan is a lot more than merely "solid". This is a complicated plan that likely took years to think up and work out the kinks and even longer to put it into action.

Correct. He's been planning this for at least twenty years, possibly even closer to thirty, as long as he's been the president of the company.

Still, the thing I noticed is how much Everton has changed since he tried to attack the other Victini. What used to be a rash young man who used force to answer all of his problems has evolved into a cold-blooded psychopath who is able to use anything and everything to gain an edge. The Everton of today has used diplomacy, blackmail, and deception to get where he is right now. He used force only when he had to, and even at this moment, only a select group of people know how evil he really is - and I really do think that only he knows what his ultimate goal is.

Very good observations! This is all quite correct, and how I intended for the evolution of his character to read. He learned from his mistake with the Victini in Castelia City. What he learned, though, was that merely using force wasn't going to work, so he had to do a lot more.

Oh, and get ready for a brutal subversion of one of the core tropes of Pokemon next chapter.

It's no wonder why Woods thought that Everton was a changed man. He did change. Unfortunately, it was for the worse, and Everton became adept at hiding his darker side. Honestly, he's one of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

All true, though Woods is a bit naive, too. It's not explicitly stated, but it's implied that Everton put him up to this exact purpose as part of the plan. Maybe a little more exploration of what happened between 1977 and now with Everton and Woods would have been a good idea.

And thanks for the compliment. That's exactly how he's intended to be.

The battle scene was very nice, and I particularly loved the unexpected Hypnosis attack at the end. It's not an attack one would normally think of when total annihilation is imminent, but it worked to perfection. Kudos to Katorena and her quick thinking.

Katorena realized that it was impossible for them to win at the rate the fight was going, so she thought quickly enough to incapacitate Hydreigon and escape.

That scene's a lot more important than it looks, though, so remember it well...

Did I mention that Giovanni is awesome? He's ignoring the fact that the storm's going to wipe out an entire city, while lamenting the fact that Everton had the nerve to commit an economic act of terrorism by causing the storm and "predicting" it in the stock market. That's just sheer brilliance.

Again, I'm glad his character in the story came off as more interesting than I even managed to plan, and I'm even more glad you're enjoying him.

That said, his role is going to get a little more ... relevant next chapter.

I'm confused about one thing, though: what happened to Becket Everton after he survived the sinking of his ship? Your story doesn't mention him after Christina/Cresselia appears to him and Woods. I mean, I have to assume that Becket's dead after all this time; otherwise, he'd be in control of the company. What I'm wondering is how he died...

Will be answered next chapter.

Never mind. I hope that this review will suffice.

Oh don't worry, it more than did.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Okay, I've decided that I have to break up the chapter again. It really took on a huge life of its own as it progressed. Enjoy the chapter, though!

-

CHAPTER 4: Everton’s Dream

An old coffee cup, yellowed from years of use, sat on the desk in the dilapidated lab. The research facility’s location was unknown, but no matter where it was, it would have appeared in bad shape compared to other buildings. Wood paneling lined the walls, but was cracking and peeling off in places, and the red curtains covering the windows were riddled with tears and holes. Some of the ceiling tiles were even missing, allowing wires to hang down sloppily over the room. Just about the only thing not in disrepair was the scientific equipment itself – the computers, microscopes, test tubes and other implements were all spotless, clearly from having been kept lovingly well.

A nearby door creaked open, and the owner of the laboratory entered. It was Giovanni’s underling, Doctor Gabriel Zager, and he’d gone out for a short walk after speaking to his boss. As he discarded his bright yellow knit cap and thick brown coat onto a small table next to the door, a large yellow-and-blue spider Pokémon covered in hair skittered cheerfully up to him. All six of her eyes, even including the four simpler ones on her forehead, communicated the happiness she felt at Zager’s return.

“I’m glad to be back too, Galvantula,” Zager said in a polite manner. He patted Galvantula’s head and added, “Have you done a good job watching my lab while I was out?”

“Tula! Tula!” Galvantula happily responded. She gripped Zager’s arm with her mandibles when he tried to lift it in an attempt to keep him from stopping petting her.

“Now, now, Galvantula, you’ve got to let me get back to my work. Giovanni is counting on me to keep all the Whitegold City data in line.”

Apparently understanding, Galvantula relented and released Zager’s arm. He walked over to the computer console where the coffee cup was sitting, sat down and sipped the still-hot drink, then pressed a key on the wide keyboard before him to bring up his thermal imaging and weather radar maps of Whitegold City on the console’s large screen.

One item in particular caught Zager’s attention immediately – a simulation of the worsening storm over the city and the potential effects of its growth. What he saw alarmed him, and he had to put down the coffee cup before the tension he was overcome by made him drop it.

“I’ve… never seen anything like this before,” Zager said aloud, though only Galvantula was sharing the room with him. “Mister Giovanni is going to have to do something right away.”

With much on his mind, Zager set about his work, typing busily on the console’s keyboard.

“What’s going on?! Let go of me!”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that. Captain Everton’s orders.”

Foster had Fennel firmly in his grasp by her left wrist as he led her toward the elevator out of her basement laboratory. Nestled under her right arm was a laptop computer containing all the data on the Dreamyarn Inceptor, dumped from the building’s mainframe servers.

“Fine, don’t let go of me, then!” Looking back, Fennel desperately pleaded with Foster, “But please, don’t hurt Musharna!”

Nearby, Foster’s Throh had Musharna ensnared within a ball-shaped capsule he was carrying. Throh wasn’t actually trying actively to cause Musharna any pain, but the Psychic-type Pokémon writhed inside her prison anyway. Seeing this caused Fennel to become overwhelmed with worry for the safety of her beloved friend.

“I told you,” Foster stated flatly, “I have no reason to want to hurt you. I’m just doing my job. Captain Everton’s given me the order to clear you and your data out and get you to a safe location, so that’s what I have to do.”

“A… safe location? Just what is Everton planning? Why am I important to it? Hasn’t he held me hostage here long enough?!”

The barrage of questions Fennel unloaded on Foster would have annoyed Baker or Everton enough to prompt a violent response, but luckily for her, Foster had enough patience to field the queries.

Unfortunately, however, he could only sigh and answer, “You’re valuable to Everton’s plan. He doesn’t want to let you go yet.”

“He promised he’d let me go when the Dreamyarn Inceptor was finished!” Fennel shrilled, desperate tears of terror welling up in her eyes. “I already sent the sleeping Pokémon where you told me, too!”

“Look, Dr. Fennel… I can’t give you any more information because I don’t have any more. Please, just calm down and cooperate.”

Fennel was able to see that she would not be escaping from the situation no matter how much she pleaded with Foster, even if he was sympathetic to her. She simply went silent, with her face and eyes turning red, and dejectedly followed Foster and his Throh to the elevator.

The storm was continuing its gradual intensification as Matt and Katorena arrived at Aurelie’s home, however, it was not the harsh rain that was weighing the most on Matt’s mind. As he guided the hoverboard to land on the muddy ground, he knew that Everton would not be far behind, meaning they could not stay in one place for long.

“What a foul mess!” Katorena exclaimed. Her feet were sinking slightly into the mud, causing her shoes to get dirty. Even though Matt’s dress shoes were actually nicer than her casual footwear, she was the one to be bothered.

“Now is not the time!” Matt scolded her. “We have bigger things to worry about than keeping our shoes clean!”

The door on Aurelie’s house swung open with a loud crash, and the old fortuneteller came charging out. She skidded to a stop on her porch and caught her breath with long, labored gasps.

“You kids shouldn’t be out in this storm!” she harshly groaned, struggling to keep up her energy. “Hurry, get inside!”

Without a word, Matt seized Katorena’s arm and pulled her up into Aurelie’s home. Katorena didn’t speak either, but she did pull against Matt’s grip and try to get free.

Nevertheless, they ended up inside the dark interior of Aurelie’s house once more. Nothing had changed, and the environment was as oddly unsettling as ever. A sudden flash of lightning outside cast a light throughout the dwelling that didn’t help matters any.

As Matt and Katorena followed Aurelie into her main room, they discovered Nekou, Bunny, Olivia, Rowena, Woods and Victini there already. All looked rather somber, though they had had a short time to dry out a bit.

“I guess they didn’t die out there in the storm after all,” Nekou mumbled sarcastically, apparently addressing Olivia.

“And I thought my dad was a fish,” Olivia added before giggling nervously.

“How about you two calm down and catch me up on what’s going on?” As he spoke, Matt sat down on a nearby chair and stretched his limbs in an attempt to relax a little.

“Matt, Katorena, you’re both alright!”

Two pairs of wide, surprised eyes greeted Diane and Butler as they entered the room from an adjoining room together. They too carried themselves with a palpable, serious focus, standing rigidly in front of the doorway they’d just passed through.

“Diane, you and Butler got out of the stadium?” Matt said, his voice reflecting how little he expected their appearance. “How, though?”

“We actually followed you,” Butler explained. “My Mightyena followed your scent to the maintenance hall you exited through.”

“What’s going on outside?” Diane added, her voice quivering. “Someone needs to just explain what is happening in Whitegold City today…”

“Liam Everton was after Victini, and…”

“We already told them that part,” Bunny interrupted Matt to say. “What happened after we left?”

“Well, my Golurk, Hethna, came back from New Bark Town just in time to help fight Everton, but even with its help, we couldn’t overpower his Hydreigon.”

“My dear Beheeyem managed to put that foul dragon to sleep,” Katorena chimed in, the pride in her voice not being masked very well.

“So we battled him even as we tried to flee here after stealing his hoverboard. What we’ve learned is that he is so single-mindedly after Victini that he no longer wanted to keep us alive once we didn’t have it.”

“I knew something terrible was going to happen in this city,” voiced Aurelie, attracting the others’ attention. She walked back into the room with her Gothitelle following behind, carrying a crystal ball on a pillow in her tiny purple hands. The two came to stand behind a table with a blue, star-lined sheet draped on it, at which point Aurelie took the crystal ball from Gothitelle and set it down on the desk. “Whitegold City is a place steeped in tradition and folklore, and behind every tale is a piece of this city’s soul. Gothitelle and I are connected to that soul, enabling us to read it like the soul of a living thing.”

“Fascinating…” While listening to and absorbing Aurelie’s explanation of her powers, Olivia simply stared at her, enthralled by her words and their meaning.

“Your powers aren’t too different from the ability of Transcendence used by some Tenganist priestesses,” Bunny realized aloud. “From your description of what you can do, it resembles the powers I’ve read about.”

Though she remained silent, Nekou was also quite clearly drawn into the conversation. Unusually for her, she was sitting calmly and attentively, treating the words of those around her just like they were a book.

Matt, on the other hand, had something to add. “Don’t forget Sheena. I used to be close friends with a modern-day Tenganist priestess, so I think I know exactly what you mean.”

“That is because the Tenganists and the People of the Vale of modern times share common ancestry,” the fortuneteller revealed to her audience. “Both groups are of heavily spiritual descent. That spirituality simply manifested itself differently between the two. Now, let me have a look at what the city will tell me about the events of today that are yet to happen.”

Aurelie spread her hands over the crystal ball and focused her mind, drawing out a power that manifested itself as a glowing black light from the orb. Within the sphere, a cloudy image gradually cleared itself up to reveal itself to the observers in the room.

Inside Aurelie’s crystal ball, Everton could be seen standing alongside his Klinklang and Cryogonal as well as Baker’s Sawk. He had his hand tucked into his pocket and was talking to someone, though whoever it was was outside of view.

“It looks like we fight him again,” Bunny astutely observed. “We should have expected as much.”

Suddenly noticing something worrying in the image, Matt leaned forward, closer to the sphere. “Look at where this seems to be happening. That’s…”

When Matt abruptly interrupted himself to turn and run for the door, it alarmed the others. Olivia was the first to rise and follow him, calling his name in a hopeless attempt to pull him back. She didn’t understand what was going on, but Nekou and Rowena did see the same thing he saw in the crystal ball, and immediately left in pursuit. Bunny, Katorena, Woods, Aurelie, Butler and Diane all followed, out of reflex.

They found Matt standing on the front porch of Aurelie’s home, staring out at the clearing in front of her house while frozen in fear, and quickly gathered around him.

The cause of his uncertainty became clear to each and every one of them. Standing there in the clearing, his hand in his pocket just like in the crystal ball’s prediction, was Everton. From the way he held himself, it did not seem as if the vicious rainstorm bothered him in the least. His hair blew in the wind, and Klinklang and Cryogonal floated on either side of him while Sawk stood nearby. Behind him, meanwhile, Baker stood near their truck.

“You’re a hard man to find, Matt Chiaki,” he said mockingly. He then pointed at Olivia, or more specifically, Victini in her arms. “I think your little troublemaker has something that belongs to me. Give it up.”

“Why shou…”

“Excuse me, HIS little troublemaker?” Not only did Matt visibly jump when he was interrupted, Olivia’s brash episode of lashing out noticeably shocked even Liam Everton, who stepped back in surprise. “Let me tell you two things, you jerk. One, I’m not anyone’s troublemaker, and two, if I was, the one whose troublemaker I was abandoned me!”

“Olivia…” Knowing that Olivia’s outburst was over her father made it hurt Matt twice as much. It was bad enough that she was directly putting him down, but he could feel her pain over the absence of her beloved father as well.

Nekou, on the other hand, simply pushed up her glowing glasses on her face. She masked her pride in Olivia with a simple remark, “I see someone learned just how much of a weapon her mouth is.”

“You’re quite the little firebrand, aren’t you?” It took a moment for Everton to regain his composure, but when he did, his overconfidence returned. “I don’t have time to deal with any of you any further. Klinklang, Cryogonal, Sawk, go forth!”

As the trio of Pokémon in Everton’s employ moved in on Matt’s group, Matt himself froze once more. He realized a dangerous truth – of his six Pokémon, only Tanya was still in a battle-ready state. Hethna and Ayingott had been injured just earlier in the fight with Everton’s Hydreigon, while Subzero was newly evolved and not ready for a fight like this. Matt also had a Reuniclus with him, but it had been badly injured in the battle of Argyros Town mere days earlier, and Matt was trying to let them rest. Agnetha, meanwhile, was worn from battling with Katorena the previous day. Even though two of Everton’s three Pokémon would be weak to her, Matt knew that with just Tanya alone, he stood no chance against them as a team.

Taking a nervous step back, Matt said quietly to Bunny, “I’m going to need you to take care of this…”

“I’ll have to do my best. Sky, Balin, Kayla, come out!”

The three Poké Balls thrown by Bunny released three very different Pokémon. Sky and Balin, her male Drifblim and Ninetales, contrasted strongly with each other; whereas the former had a bulbous and rubbery body colored in mostly hues of purple and blue, the latter cut a dashing figure with his foxlike body and nine flowing tails, all covered in luxurious golden fur. Kayla, her Mienshao, also was rather unique in her appearance. Her lithe weasel-like body, colored mostly light pink, granted her outgrowths of fur on her arms that were similar to whips, along with a thin, purple-tipped tail and whiskers ending similarly in yellow.

“Klinklang, Flash Cannon!” Everton commanded, waving his hand in a dramatic sweeping motion. “Cryogonal, use Frost Breath! Sawk, Low Sweep!”

Cryogonal moved swiftly into an attacking position, forcing Bunny to realize that she had to think quickly. Pressure on her came not only from the evil man facing her down and his Pokémon, but also from her perception of her friends standing behind her, who were counting on her to win.

“Balin, hit Cryogonal with Flame Burst!”

Bunny’s attack order came too late to stop the chilled air Cryogonal exhaled from sweeping over Sky in a super-effective hit which made him groan and start shivering. Despite that, when Balin expelled a dense fireball from his mouth, it struck Cryogonal with enough explosive force to throw the snowflake-shaped Pokémon back by almost eight feet. Cryogonal’s significant defensive power against special attacks and the intense rainstorm were the only reasons it didn’t suffer critical damage.

“Now, Kayla, it’s your turn! Use Hi Jump Kick against Klinklang!”

In order to charge up the energy needed for its Flash Cannon, Klinklang had begun rotating the gears comprising its body at a more rapid rate, and now it had the power it needed. A blast of silvery light shot out of the gray circle in the center of the smaller gear at the Steel-type’s middle. Before it could hit, however, Kayla jumped out of the way, causing Klinklang’s Flash Cannon to impact the ground to no further effect than singeing the grass. She landed right in front of Klinklang and then sprang up a second time, striking the spiked rim around its body with her knee.

With Klinklang being repelled back, Sawk sprang out from the sidelines and immediately took Balin in his sights. He made a beeline straight for the Fire-type, his gaze locked onto her spindly legs. Balin’s legs were quite the inviting target, especially for a Pokémon that liked to fight dirty as much as Sawk had learned to, so he altered his charge into a sliding kick meant to undercut Balin’s stance.

“Shadow Ball!”

One disadvantage of Sawk’s bold attack strategy was that he was wide open to being interrupted, and that was exactly what happened. Having sufficiently recovered from the bone-chilling effects of Cryogonal’s Frost Breath, Sky flew right in between Sawk and Balin and formed a sphere of dark energy in front of himself.

Sawk saw the Shadow Ball blocking his way but couldn’t get out of the attempted Low Sweep, and he ended up crashing right into it. The resulting explosion didn’t hurt Sky in the least, but Sawk went backflipping through the air to right back where he started.

“Well done, Bunny, you’re fighting well,” Matt complimented, much to his friend’s appreciation. Turning toward the relentless antagonist they faced, his tone became a lot less composed as he said, “Everton, you must stop this! What would even possess someone to do such things?!”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Everton answered with a hint of sarcasm, spreading his arms as he spoke. “Just like anyone who wants to do anything, this is my dream!”

“You’re kidding, right?” Olivia angrily countered, not finished with her earlier rant. “A dream is something someone has that is dear to them, something that is the most important thing in their life! Like, for example, my dream is to find my dad and tell him just what I think about his abandoning me. That’s a dream. What are you doing, exactly? Committing mass murder against an entire city? You call that a dream?!”

Matt had his own feelings about Olivia’s anger, but his sadness for her and disappointment in himself had to wait. Everton, who was the direct target of the outburst, reacted in a way that was quite surprising to all opposing him – he actually tensed and moved back slightly, while gritting his teeth in rage.

“I’ll tell you, you little brat…” he seethed, his glare becoming unfocused as he got caught up in his own emotion. “That’s what I was raised to know… believe in your goals and anything becomes possible… that’s what my grandfather told me…”

“You’re on that still?!” gasped Woods, immediately realizing he knew what Everton was talking about. “Now I understand it… all those times you spoke of accomplishing the dream Becket gave you, it was this you meant, wasn’t it?”

“Now you understand. At the end, you finally understand… since that night when I was just a mere pup of eleven, when my grandfather told me of Victini…”

One year after the naval disaster that only Becket Everton and Woods survived with the help of Victini and the newly-transformed Cresselia, the beginnings of the dreadful fate in the future were beginning to take shape.

The elder Everton sat at the bedside of his then-young grandson Liam, holding his weathered captain’s log while the boy stared at him with wide, bright eyes. The room was filled with naval equipment, books and charts, all reflective of Liam Everton’s interest in them even at the age of eleven. A calendar on his desk revealed the date – July 19, 1963.

“Victini is the most inspiring Pokémon I have ever found, and that is why I am honored to have it as my partner aboard my ship. The warmth radiating from Victini… it is Victini’s power, the Victory Star. The power to find any single victory so desired by the power’s user. Oh Victory Star, shine the light on the path I must take to my dreams. Victini, turn my road into one of fortune…”

“Your stories are always so exciting, grandpa!” exclaimed the young Liam Everton.

“The story is true,” Becket wistfully replied. “Victini and I had many glorious adventures on the seas of the world for years, even if those days are over now. But, don’t be discouraged, Liam. Perhaps if you believe in yourself when you inherit the family business, you too can come to be blessed by the light of Victini’s power. All you have to do is dream and believe it to be possible, and you can accomplish anything you set out to do.”

“…after that night, I often dreamt of obtaining Victini and the Victory Star, both during the day and at night. It became my life’s goal, and just like I was told, I believe I’ll win, which means I will!”

“You know that’s not what your grandfather meant!” Matt shouted back. Sick from hearing Everton’s excuses to justify it all, he finally was running out of patience and snapping. “He’s probably spinning in his grave right now!”

“Silence, you ignorant fool! Klinklang, shut him up!”

Taking Matt in its sights, Everton’s Klinklang began charging up energy for another Flash Cannon attack. Before it could fire, however, Matt was surprised by Aurelie’s Gothitelle floating over his head, nearly knocking him over in the process.

“Gothitelle, Charge Beam!”

Showing surprising boldness and courage in jumping into battle, Aurelie’s Gothitelle brought her hands together, allowing a bolt of electricity to shoot out of them and into Klinklang. The energy overwhelmed Klinklang’s body, cutting short its Flash Cannon.

“You won’t get away with this…” snarled Everton. “Cryogonal, punish that thing! Acrobatics!”

In the blink of an eye, Cryogonal tore through the air with a shrill cry, tackling Gothitelle back into a supporting column of the house before it could even be seen. The wood cracked from the impact, even though Gothitelle wasn’t extremely heavy, and she fell to the ground with a loud thump.

“Gothitelle!” Aurelie howled, rushing as quickly as she could to the side of her fallen friend. “I’m sorry I made you fight,” she said sorrowfully while helping Gothitelle stand back up.

There was no time for the group to lick their collective wounds, as literally seconds later, Sawk was back in the fight. With his right hand upturned, glowing purple and cocked back for a stabbing motion, he had Olivia and Victini in his sights.

“Olivia, watch out!”

Though Nekou threw herself in the direction of Sawk’s Poison Jab’s trajectory, her movement had been too sluggish. There was no way she could have reached a point in between Olivia and Sawk in time. Around them, Matt, Bunny, Rowena, Woods, Aurelie, Butler and Diane could all only watch in helpless horror as the Fighting-type Pokémon closed in on his target.

Things would not end that simply, however.

Before Sawk had drawn within arm’s length of Olivia and Victini, the small-statured Psychic-and-Fire-type floated up out of her grasp. After pitching a shrill scream into the sky, it unleashed a Psyshock attack. Bolts of glittering silver light flowed from Victini’s eyes and into Sawk’s body, stunning him in midair; he convulsed for several seconds before physical damage became apparent on his being, from gashes and bruises on his blue body to cuts in his robes.

Sawk was eventually thrown back by Victini’s Psyshock. As he skidded through the mud, Klinklang floated ahead to take his place, and without an order, the Steel-type aimed its Flash Cannon at Victini.

Victini escaped the Flash Cannon by flying out of the way, and barely got away from the main force of it. The light cut Victini’s foot, but it made it through with just a wince.

“Tiiiiniiiii!!” it cried after turning around to face Klinklang. With its stunned audience looking on, Victini became shrouded in a cloud of steam generated from the rain water hitting its heated body. Despite that rain, a giant fireball entrapped within two opposite orbital rings formed over Victini’s head.

By waving its finger, Victini brought down this unusual and catastrophically powerful move down upon Klinklang, sending the Steel-type Pokémon flying through the air, right past its dumbfounded trainer, until it hit a nearby tree.

Everton only looked back at his stunned Klinklang for a brief moment. His reaction to Victini’s sudden and violent counterattack was completely devoid of anything resembling pity or concern for his own Pokémon, instead being fueled by surprise and jealousy over Victini’s strength.

“Don’t think you can escape me! My victory is at hand! Cryogonal, cut it down, now!”

Cryogonal made use of the sharp edges around its body to enhance its power when it used Acrobatics. In addition, before directly attacking, it grabbed hold of another tree using one of its ice chains and swung around in a circle on it, building up momentum for when it tackled Victini at incredibly high speed.

Being struck sent Victini spinning higher into the air above the clearing. However, it caught itself and managed to stop its out-of-control course, then growled forcefully as its vicious lashing out continued. A pair of intercrossing rings composed of blue electricity formed around Victini’s body, which soon began exuding a vast excess of this same power. Using all of this electrical energy, Victini fought back against Cryogonal by returning the tackle, smashing the shiny-bodied Ice-type into the tree right next to Klinklang.

“Victini, you’re amazing!” Olivia beamed excitedly to the Pokémon, who had returned to floating near her. “I never guessed you had such powers!”

“I never knew either…” Woods mumbled, “…those attacks looked like Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt, the signature moves of Reshiram and Zekrom… did Becket help you learn those?”

“We don’t have time now!” interrupted Butler. He knew that despite the fact that Sawk, Klinklang and Cryogonal had presently been neutralized, Everton was still a threat, and the looming danger posed by the storm needed to be resolved as well. “Gardevoir, come out and Teleport us to a safe place!”

Events were beginning to progress too quickly for anyone to keep up with. While Matt barely managed to register that Butler was sending out Gardevoir to Teleport the group to safety, Olivia was completely overwhelmed and no longer had any idea what was going on. Butler’s Gardevoir produced a bright flash of light immediately upon being released, enveloping the entire clearing in its blinding glow.

Once it faded, only Everton, Baker, their Pokémon and the truck remained. Butler’s Gardevoir had used her power to transport herself and her trainer along with Matt, Nekou, Olivia, Bunny, Victini, Diane, Katorena, Rowena, Woods, Aurelie, Gothitelle, Sky, Balin and Kayla away to safety. The hoverboard Matt had stolen from Everton also was taken away by the Teleport.

Everton was visibly confused by this turn of events and stepped forward as he looked around, his foot squishing down into the soft, muddy ground.

“I don’t understand,” he said to Baker, without turning around to face the henchman. “Where did they go?”

“Couldn’t you use the Victory Star to find them?” suggested Sawk’s trainer while he recalled his weakened Fighting-type to his Poké Ball.

“Capital idea! I’ll find out right where they’ve gone… Victory Star!”

The shining depths reflective of the Victory Star’s power returned to Everton’s left eye when he activated the ability once again. He doubled over in order to fight off the headaches using the Victory Star brought him, but those were a price he’d long decided to pay in exchange for such an awesome power.

Inside his vision, however, he did not see a clear location as he expected. Instead, Everton saw himself riding in the truck with Baker, operating his ultra-thin laptop computer. The thermal radar of Whitegold City could be seen on its screen.

At that point, the vision ended, and Everton slowly straightened up while gasping for breath. “The path… to victory… the path is a little less direct. We must simply monitor for Victini’s heat signature right now. Wherever they’ve gone, it’s some place where we would have too hard a time following. They have to come out of hiding eventually.”

“Let’s get back into the truck, then! This rain is getting to be too much!”

“Agreed, Baker.”

Before he headed for Baker’s vehicle, Everton stopped briefly to return Klinklang and Cryogonal to their Ultra Balls. Once he had done that, he walked across the clearing with wide steps, reaching the truck in no time. He pulled the right-hand passenger-side door open and entered, only closing the door once he had sat down on one of the seats, which were made of a heavy rubber-like material.

“So what do we do now?” Baker questioned in earnest. “Where do we go?”

Everton did not answer at first. He instead stared out the windshield at the storm, which was pelting the glass with a steady, relentless downpour so powerful that windshield wipers would have trouble clearing it. The sound of the raindrops striking the transparent surface, coupled with the ripples a steady rainfall created as the water flowed downward, relaxed him. Even though his plans were going perfectly, he knew himself that he was becoming too intensely engrossed in them, and so the mental breather was appreciated.

“We’ll just wait for Victini’s heat signature to return,” Everton finally said, his anger subdued into a menacing calm. He took out his laptop and began booting it up while continuing, “They went somewhere where Victini’s heat signature isn’t detectable, if I’m interpreting the path to my victory correctly.”

“We don’t have tons of time left,” Baker reminded his boss. “The plan must be complete before the storm causes the gates to reach the critical point.”

“They’re on the same clock I am. If they want to survive, they have to come out of hiding eventually, before time runs out.” Suddenly remembering something, Everton reached for a transmitter attached by a cord to the dashboard of the truck, held it up to his mouth, and pushed in the button on the silvery-colored device’s side. “Mr. Foster, come in. This is Captain Liam Everton.”

“Foster here!” replied a crackling, static-distorted voice from the other side of the radio. “Captain Everton, what is it?”

“What is the status of the order you were given?”

“Dr. Fennel and Musharna have been moved to the ark, while all of her data has been dumped onto the ark’s servers. Of course, that includes the sleeping Pokémon.”

“Well done, Foster. What is your current location?”

“Whitegold Harbor, sir.”

“Very good. Wait there. Baker and I are heading your way to pick you up.” Hanging up the transmitter, Everton said to Baker, “You heard me, we’re heading to the harbor to get Foster. Get going.”

Baker had no words to give back to his superior, so he simply pressed several buttons in the dashboard’s control panel, turning on the truck’s lights and windshield wipers to their highest settings. With their lights cutting through the stormy murk like two beacons and the windshield being kept desperately and barely clear by the furiously-moving wipers, the Humvee from Everton International set off on its mission.

Giovanni sat at his desk, staring into the screen of his computer. A live video stream displaying Dr. Zager in his lab was visible on it, but Giovanni seemed to almost be looking past him.

“Go over it again, Gabriel.” Giovanni’s command wasn’t as forceful as his orders usually were. His voice cracked while he spoke, indicative of the growing nervousness in the pit of his stomach. “I want to make sure I’ve got the whole thing understood.”

“Well, Giovanni, sir…” The burden of explaining the emergency to his boss overwhelmed Zager, forcing him to cough and clear his throat before continuing. “The intensifying storm over Whitegold City is on track to begin disrupting the weather on a global scale. There is not an exact reason that is clear to me for why this is, but Whitegold City’s position right on a critical point in the jet stream causes it to make some logical sense. Unfortunately, however, it appears that the contextual amount of time we’re looking at for this scenario is hours, and not a lot of them at that. I can’t understand why this storm is growing so violent so quickly… no existing data shows any precedent for a weather pattern like this.”

Giovanni ran his hand down his face to release his dismay. Under his guidance, Team Rocket had undertaken experiments with potentially world-changing consequences before, but one thing he always tried to remember was to not do anything that could lead to the destruction of the world. That wasn’t the goal of his organization or Giovanni himself. What they aimed for was merely profit through the manipulation and control of the world’s functions, and for that to succeed, they had to make sure society’s way of life remained preserved.

“What are we potentially looking at if the worst-case scenario unfolds?” he finally inquired.

Zager’s face darkened, the shadows calling attention to the grave alarm the unfolding disaster instilled in him. “Catastrophic shifts in the global weather pattern. We will soon see hurricanes happening completely out of season, tornadoes all over the world, illogical snow, rain, drought… it will be complete chaos, a change in the planet that mankind has never seen before.”

“I was afraid of that,” Giovanni admitted, leaning forward in such a way that his clasped hands covered his mouth from sight. “For now, Gabriel, monitor what the public notices about this incident. If the government cannot do anything to soothe public worry, we may have to take action.”

“Understood, sir.”

Once Zager disappeared from Giovanni’s computer, the office was eerily silent. With his hands tied by the actions of the government and the International Police, Giovanni did not have access to the kind of manpower he needed to do something about the problem. That was something he wasn’t used to – ordinarily, as a crime boss, Gym Leader and wealthy businessman, he usually got what he wanted done with little controversy within groups of his followers. Now he was completely helpless, and it was a feeling he hated.

His tightly-enclosed bubble of anger and frustration was broken by the feeling of Persian nudging his hand. When he looked down, Giovanni found his trusted friend staring up at him with worry in his eyes, accompanied by a nervous meow. Persian definitely could sense that something was wrong, though this didn’t surprise Giovanni, considering all the years they’d been together.

“Don’t worry, my friend. I’ll make sure everything is okay.”

The sound of his doors creaking open suddenly hit Giovanni’s ears, causing him to jump in his chair. It was Stacia nervously edging herself into the office, her glasses glowing to obscure her eyes and a cordless telephone in her hand.

“What, Stacia? What happened now?”

“You are needed on the videophone, sir,” Stacia flatly informed him. “You have been summoned by the governor for a conference call regarding the Whitegold City disaster.”

In his run-down lab, Zager leaned back in his chair, feeling many of the same nerve-wracking thoughts that Giovanni did on the matter; however, unlike his boss, he didn’t have a partner to console him. Galvantula was too busy sucking electricity out of an open socket in the wall to pay attention.

“Well, it’s about time to get started on the job, then.”

Leaning forward again, Zager tapped a key on his keyboard several times, switching the window displayed in the front of his screen until the one he desired was prominent. Its border designated it with the name “RChannel,” and it appeared to be a message board website. A chain of new posts greeted Zager’s eyes, and he scanned them until he spotted one relevant to his concerns, posted by someone using the name ‘Slowpoke Tail.’

“Hey, have any of you heard about what’s happening in Whitegold City?” the post read. “A freak storm showed up there, and they’re saying that Darkrai and Cresselia are fighting in the city on the news!”

Directly after that post was a reply that came within minutes, from a user called ‘RAGECANDYBAR.’ “Yeah, I heard about it. I’m really worried, some of my friends just went there and are trapped! Isn’t there anything anyone can do?”

“Pansage,” the next message simply read.

“You know about Pansaging important topics, you fool!” Slowpoke Tail reprimanded the third poster. “Are you trying to get that scary admin in here?”

An anonymous post followed that. “Whitegold City? Isn’t that where that Chiaki guy was making that speech that Polaris interrupted? Think they’re connected?”

It was that post that made Dr. Zager completely freeze. “Polaris…” He knew the name of the group, and that knowledge struck fear deep into his heart. Hastily, he typed in his username – Galvantula Man – and entered the message, “What’s this about Polaris? What are you talking about?”

Almost immediately after Zager posted his question, a reply popped up. “Pansage for not watching the news.”

“I told you you’re going to get that scary admin in here! Shut up! Galvantula Man, if you didn’t see the coverage, a group of Polaris members disrupted Matt Chiaki’s speech and attempted to kill him. There was a camera dropped by one of the reporters covering it that broadcast the entire thing. They tried to short out his body using a bunch of Magneton, but this woman saved him by beating the **** out of the three of them. They were ranting about a pure world and someone named Father, or something.”

Zager’s eyes were trembling in fear by the time he finished reading the message. He raised his fingers to type a response, but could not think well enough to do so. Instead, he turned his chair away from the computer and stared blankly at the wall.

“They’ve begun… Arceus help us all…”

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Butler’s Gardevoir’s Teleport had ended up moving the group to a tunnel beneath Whitegold City. Unlike the environment topside, where the vicious weather made it difficult to be outside for more than a few minutes at most, the underground area was quiet and dry aside from the stream running down the center of the passage.

Taking advantage of this reprieve from the harsh realities of the danger aboveground, Matt and the others tended to their injured Pokémon while they had the time. In addition to Sky, Balin, Kayla, Butler’s Gardevoir and Aurelie’s Gothitelle, Hethna and Ayingott were present as well, all being healed by their trainers using various medicinal goods.

“I’m sorry these Revival Herbs are so bitter,” Matt said apologetically, looking over his Pokémon as he returned the gnarled, green herbs in his hand back to his bag. “They’re remarkably good medicine, so please try to look past how they taste.”

Hethna and Ayingott grunted their agreement with his request, so Matt nodded, smiled and returned them to the safety of their Poké Balls. When he turned around, however, he was greeted by a sight he didn’t expect or hope to see – Olivia sitting against the wall, crying. All the others were looking at her, but none of them knew what to say to make her feel better.

“It’s impossible!” she fumed, tears rolling down her face until they dripped onto the cold stones of the floor. “Nothing we do works against him! I don’t think we’re going to get out of this!”

“Don’t talk like that!” Though he didn’t like the harsh tone his words took and had some trouble scaling it back, Matt felt that to some degree it was necessary to do. “We will expose the truth and save this city!”

“Shut up!” the girl shot back, her face red and eyes cloudy with water. She was afraid, but had no outlet to direct her fear into nor a figure she truly felt comfortable turning to for comfort. “What gives you the right to talk to me that way? You aren’t any more able to stop this than I am!”

Matt froze, not out of any offense he might have taken to Olivia’s latest explosion, but out of how true it really was. He knew she was right, that he didn’t have any power to stop Everton or save the city, so therefore, he recognized her point about not having any right to speak with authority in the situation.

“Maybe Matt isn’t able to stop Everton or the destruction of Whitegold City,” Rowena entered with a surprising amount of focused calm, “but all of us as a group should have just the abilities we need to do the job.”

Nekou set her hand on Matt’s shoulder. “I can tell what you’re thinking. You don’t have to be able to solve everything by yourself all the time.”

“You’re right,” Matt answered, his face brightening slightly. “Olivia, don’t cry anymore. It’s all of us against Everton, I’d say that even with his Victory Star we’ve got the numbers advantage. Okay, the first thing we need to do is come up with a plan, and the first step to that is figuring out where we are now.”

“We’re in the underground tunnel network,” Rowena helpfully informed.

“Everton had these tunnels built over a decade beginning in the early eighties,” added Woods, making good use of his inside knowledge of Everton’s operation. “Ostensibly it’s a sewer system, but it also links several warehouse properties he owns throughout the city.”

“Okay, so we’re underneath the city. We should be safe for a while here, which will buy us time to develop a plan for fighting back. So what do we know right now?”

“That horrid man plans to flood the city and destroy every living thing within it to cover his wicked tracks,” Katorena correctly pointed out.

“And we’re the only ones currently outside of the death trap he’s turned the Whitegold Dome into,” Matt continued. “We must consider the possibility that if that seawall fails during the storm, we may be the only ones who can survive.”

After loudly clearing her throat, Bunny interrupted, “Or we can consider another option. Save the townspeople and tourists.”

“Is that even possible?” Turning to Aurelie, Diane repeated her stress-fueled question. “Is that possible?”

“The city is angry,” explained the venerable mystic. “Liam’s actions have enraged the city, and she is unleashing a righteous punishment upon the wicked.”

Aurelie stopped speaking for a moment, allowing all of the others to absorb what she was saying. Aside from Woods, who knew what her words meant, Aurelie’s allies all looked at her with stunned expressions. Normally the idea of a city being a living thing would be something all of them would dismiss, but after everything they’d already seen that day, it didn’t sound as crazy anymore.

Having given her audience plenty of time to catch onto her story, she finally continued, “When the earth became enraged and its power turned against the people, the great vessel carried them to a point of salvation, and the land became calm once more.”

“Tell me what you’re actually talking about!” Olivia demanded. She had stopped crying, but her emotions were still raw, and trying to exert even a little thought at the time put far too much stress on her, overriding her usual etiquette.

“The People of the Vale, right?” Bunny gasped, her voice rising in excitement over being the one to understand Aurelie’s cryptic words. “When the People of the Vale were threatened by the destruction of their land following a terrible war, they all gathered into a sword-shaped flying castle that carried them to safety and ultimately restrained the land’s anger. This city was founded by their descendants, so if history can teach us a lesson about how to deal with the crisis we have now… vessel, vessel… the ships in the harbor!”

“That’s actually a pretty brilliant idea. Maybe I underestimated you.” As usual, Nekou’s compliment to Bunny, while sincere, was delivered with complete sarcasm.

“We’ve got like fifty thousand people in that stadium, though,” Matt pointed out. “How do we efficiently move them without putting them in danger?”

“The same way we got here,” Bunny said. “Gardevoir’s Teleport.”

“With that many people involved, could we pull that off?”

“It would be challenging, but I think she could do it,” Butler replied to Matt.

“Butler, please, lend me Gardevoir,” proposed Woods. An apologetic look filled his eyes, and he was undeniably sincere. For his role in getting Everton’s plan to this advanced point, he was clearly remorseful, and had every intention of fixing it. “What happens to the people of this city is my responsibility. I’ll get them out.”

“Don’t go getting yourself into worse trouble,” Aurelie scolded. “I’m coming along. I’ve lived in this city even longer than you have… I cannot abide by someone like Liam threatening the good people who live here.”

“Now, let’s not be getting ahead of ourselves. Matt, give me your computer.”

Bunny’s sudden demand caught Matt off guard, as while he was indeed listening to the entire conversation, he didn’t expect to be made part of it. She was in an uncharacteristic hurry and simply reached into his bag to take out his tablet computer, all behavior that he, despite their short time as a group so far, would have expected out of Nekou instead. Stunned by the way she forcefully seized control of the chaos, Matt stood back as Bunny tapped her finger lightly against the device’s screen.

“The people won’t believe our evacuation order unless we can prove that Everton is behind everything,” Bunny explained to an enraptured audience. “We need to find proof of his guilt.”

Turning to Rowena, Woods gulped loudly. Having to face the woman he’d stabbed in the back wasn’t an easy matter, and he knew quite well that she was being extremely generous in giving him another chance. “Do you have a map of these underground tunnels?” he inquired. “I have a hunch about some of Liam’s actions.”

“Yeah, I do. Hang on.” Much to Woods’s relief, Rowena wasn’t as concerned about the problem from earlier as he was. She remained straight-to-business, producing her cutting-edge portable phone and sorting through the files on it by sliding her thumb across its screen. “Ah, here we go.”

With the press of one more button, Rowena triggered a projection of the image currently displayed on her phone’s screen. It was a map of Whitegold City, but a blue line cut through it, twisting and turning and breaking off into many side paths; that line was also accentuated with periodic red, green and black dots.

“This is a map of the underground tunnel network,” elaborated the reporter, making sure that her allies were able to keep up. After all, if they got lost, there would be no point for Rowena to speak. “The blue line is the track of the tunnels. Each color dot denotes something different along the system; the red dots are Everton’s warehouses, the green dots are openings to above ground to get into the tunnel network, and the black dots point out where the drain gates that can empty the water from the tunnels are.”

“I want to know more about that one.” Woods locked onto a red dot that was far from all the others, in the upper-left corner of the projection, and pointed at it to show the others. “That’s the poor area of the city, so I don’t know why he has a warehouse there. Suspicious activity has been reported in that area lately, too.”

“That could be a great opportunity for us.” Though her fear had mostly passed, Olivia still remained weakened, a state that was reflected in her shaky voice. “Butler, please, take us there.”

“Will do, Olivia. Gardevoir, use Teleport!”

All of the assembled humans and Pokémon were engulfed in the shining light Gardevoir produced, along with the stolen hoverboard, which had been lying on the ground nearby. A mere second later, they were all gone, having departed for deeper into the tunnel system in pursuit of an answer to the answers they sought.

Whitegold City’s harbor was a bit further up the river from the seaport where Matt and his friends had entered the city the previous day. Countless shipping containers lined the docks, hued in many different rusted colors and bearing the insignias of numerous cargo companies. The rain created a relentless cacophony of shrill tapping noises with each drop that struck the containers’ iron surfaces.

Many ships, big and small, sat moored at the piers, but it was one particular vessel that stood out. This one was at least twice the size of the typical cargo ship in the harbor, nearly approaching the size of a cruise ship. The upper half of its hull was painted red while the bottom half was left in the silver tone of the metal, creating an image like a Poké Ball. Daubed in yellow paint near the ship’s bow was an oversized representation of Everton’s anchor logo, making the craft’s ownership impossible to miss.

It was in the shadow of this towering ship that Foster and his Throh awaited their pickup. While waiting, they took cover underneath a tarp attached to some of the containers on the wharf to hide from the rain. They’d been there for some time, so when they heard the characteristic roar of Everton’s Humvee’s engine, their moods brightened considerably. The glow of the truck’s headlights appeared shortly thereafter, beckoning them.

Though Foster and Throh only had to run a short distance to the truck, it was more than enough time in the storm to leave them soaked to the bone. For that reason, the dryness and relative warmth of the vehicle’s interior was much appreciated by the pair.

As if he could read Foster’s thoughts, the moment he got in the truck, Everton said to him, “You can’t be afraid of the water with where we’re going. This storm is nothing.”

“I’m… not afraid of the water, sir.”

“Is that so?” After letting out a hearty laugh that was loud enough to make Foster and Baker cringe, Everton opened his laptop again. “Let’s check in on how the rest of the world is taking this.”

A swift motion of Everton’s hand over the computer’s controls summoned the Black City Exchange data window to the forefront, revealing his current investment information.

Brick Piece Reserves, which he had originally invested $550,500 in, had gone up by one hundred and sixty percent. His $679,000 in Star Piece Trading had gone up one hundred and seven percent. Finally, his investment of $825,650 in Icirrus Mineral Collection saw an increase of one hundred and seventy-five percent.

Finally, the stunning number displayed next to ‘Current Total Balance’ in the window – two hundred and twenty-five million, nine hundred forty-nine thousand, seven hundred and fifty dollars.

For someone who had turned around a profit of over ten thousand percent on an initial investment of two million, fifty-five thousand, one hundred and fifty dollars, Everton’s response was relatively muted. After clenching the top of his head with both hands, he smiled so broadly that his face could stretch no further, and even his Victory Star-absent right eye filled with a glitter of sinister satisfaction.

“I’ve done it,” he growled, his voice getting stuck in his throat due to how eager he was to gloat. “I’m one step closer to complete victory! With the funding for my dream now secure… all that remains is Victini itself!”

“Has it appeared yet on the radar?” Despite speaking to Everton, Baker did not release his tight grip on the truck’s steering wheel, nor did he turn from his rigid gaze out into the pouring rain.

“No, unfortunately.” A look at the thermal scan of the city confirmed this, as the readout had not changed at all from the last time Everton checked it. “Wherever they went to hide, they haven’t come out yet. I think it would be wise here to create a bit of a diversion while we wait it out…”

A low, chilling chuckle escaped from Everton’s lips as he clicked his right hand over several keys on the computer.

Somewhere on the borderline between the wealthy and poor areas of the city, a flock of Pidgey and Pidove clustered under a wood awning to hide from the storm. Despite the differing origins of the two species, one thing they both shared was a strong dislike of getting their feathers wet.

Their peace was violently disturbed, however, when a sudden electrical flash lit up the entire darkness beneath the canopy, startling the bird Pokémon and causing them to scatter and flee.

“Raaa…”

Clutching the collar affixed around its neck, Darkrai roared out of the shadows, where it had been hiding to recover its strength. It had hoped that Everton’s need of it was finished, but it knew that the shock meant that wasn’t the case. Having long resigned itself to being broken as Everton’s slave, Darkrai flew off in search of Cresselia in order to restart their battle.

END of CHAPTER 4