• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinion on a Type Chart Change

Argentarus

So, since they introduced the Fairy-type back in Gen 6, I've been having a bit of a hard time with how my in-game and online teams need to be constructed.
There are Pokemon that I would personally have loved to use like the pseudo-legendaries for Alola and Kalos or Alolan Sandslash (maybe Golisipod, if it had another ability besides Emergency Exit), but the current type chart and movepools are a little heavy-handed to specific types.

Bug-types:
Currently, Bug pokemon are resisted against 7 types (including Fairy, for some reason), and is effective, weak against, and resists 3 types. Bug types also only have 1 move that has a base power over 100: Megahorn. More non-bug-types learn it than actual bug-types, only 3 bug-types can learn it.
And there only 4 moves with a base power of 90, and 3 out of 4 are signature moves.

Ice-types:

Ice only resists itself, it needs more resistances. Ice-types are easy targets, it makes sense for ice to be handicapped since they're effective against Dragon-types, but since Fairy-types are powerhouses with no repercussions, that doesn't really apply. Alolan Sandslash is 4x weak to fire, it needs a big resistance buff.

Fairy-types:
Firstly, an immunity to Dragon was NOT the way to go. It nullifies all previous legendary and "normal" Dragon-types, and punishes you for even wanting to use one (unless you're using Dialga on Naganadel).
Moves like Play Rough or Moonblast are near ubiquitous, both with base powers in the 90's, so it feels like a sin to even use a dragon-type. And then fairy gains a resistance to Bug for absolutely no reason.
The reason so many boxart legendaries were dragon-type was that Game Freak kinda used typing as a way of showing a lot of pokemon's attributes at glance, which they could use to make interesting typings.
Dragon has an identity, it usually used to mean that a Pokemon was powerful because it resisted the four main types, and was only weak to itself and ice (ignoring dual-typing).
I honestly can't think of what "Fairy" a fairy pokemon means. It says "fairy", but when a Pit Bull, mime, water mouse,
a pair of keys, and Land Spirits make the list, it's a little confusing. What are the qualifications? That a pokemon is "good-spirited"? But then what about Mr. Mime, Azumarill, and the Tapus?
(The fact that the Sinnoh "Lake Spirits", whose etymologies are based around fairies (and other related species), are still just pure Psychic-types is a crime against this franchise. The Tapus seem to have got in because they were "spirits", from their Pokedex category, or because they're "benevolent deities", Game Freak's got some explaining to do.)

Last edited:

byconcept

I kinda like the current balance of the chart and I think Fairy balances it out. Without Fairy, it was pretty easy to just bulldoze through teams online with a couple of strong Dragons but having the Fairy typing makes people think twice and encourages more strategy. Bear in mind I mind have a bit of bias though because one of my favorite Pokemon, Xerneas, is a fairy. I tend to see the Fairy Pokemon as the magic/supernatural Pokemon. Admittedly, Snubbul and Azumaril do seem a bit off, but Klefki makes sense because it's a magical pair of keys and the Tapus make sense because they're magical spirits.

I agree that bug is a weak type but I think its meant to be that way (like how bugs are pretty weak in real life).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Absolutely agree Ice types need a defensive buff