• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

opinion on legendary origins?

dpdude

teehee
well, me and my brother were talking the other day about what the legendaries represent in terms of elements and stuff, and here's what we came up with: the legendary birds work together with lugia and ho oh to make storms and the quiet after the storm, which is ho oh. the dogs suicune, raikou, and entei each represent wind, thunder, and volcanic eruptions, respectively. celebi doesnt really represent anything, its just a time travelling thing. mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, while mewtwo is the clone of mew, kinda. which, i guess makes mew jesus? idk. lati@s represent male and female, i guess, while the regis represent the elements that make up the earth's crust. kyogre represents the ocean, while groudon represents land and rayquaza represents the sky. jirachi and deoxys dont represent anything, really. the lakes pokemon represent willpower, knowledge, and something else. heatran and entei go hand in hand in representing volcanic eruptions and stuff. cresselia represents good dreams and darkrai represents nightmares (obviously). dialga, palkia, and giratina represent time, space, and the distortion world, whatever that is. arceus is god. duh. shaymin is just a waste of a pokedex slot. i dont know if i missed any, but leave your comments and/or opinions on what you think the legendaries represent.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
...Mew is Jesus? Excuse me, but I do believe you have to look through your scriptures again; Dialga died for our sins, thank you very much.

Also, way to restate what the games already told us. Also, that doesn't link the beasts to Ho-oh, when they share a definite bond. Also, the Regis aren't representative of the Earth's crust; they're manmade pokemon. Also, legendaries don't HAVE to represent something; they're only 'legendary' because they're both rare and incredibly powerful compared to most other pokemon, as is the case with Deoxys, Jirachi, and Heatran. Also, Giratina represents antimatter.

...That's a lot of alsos...

BCVM22

Most of what you came up with is common sense; a lot of it just makes no sense.

The Regis represent ages of human history: the Stone Age (Regirock), Ice Age (Regice) and Bronze Age (Registeel).

The lake trio represents knowledge, willpower and emotion: facets of the mind.

Jirachi is a Pokémonification of the classic "wishing star" concept. Deoxys represents viruses, as it adapts depending on the situation.

Celebi and Shaymin represent flora; the former protects the forest and for whatever reason and travel through time, the latter represents flowers and is not a waste of a Pokédex slot.

Mew is the genesis of all Pokémon; it represents fauna. It is not Jesus. Additionally, Arceus is not God or anything of the sort.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Additionally, Arceus is not God or anything of the sort.

Well in the movie it said that Arceus created all 4 universes.(Including ours) And various Pokedex entries say that it was born before the universe even existed. The only thing that stops Nintendo actually saying it out load is because all of the obsesed religious people would get mad. Arceus is God in this game and there isn't really any way to say that it isn't.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Groudon's origin is very mysterious. it is based on the legends of Behemoth, but I really don't know nothing about it.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The Legendary Birds represent the Phoenix apparantly. The Beasts represent Pure Water, Thunder, and Volcanoes I believe.

I'm lost on the others.

GreenNinja

Treasure Hunter
celebi is based off an onion and a forest spirit, it time travels becuase thats how it spirits people away.

i thought giratina represented the underworld since its found in sendoff spring which is look to me like an ancient tomb.
heatran i believe is lava, not an eruption.

i was hoping in 3rd gen we would have gotten some legendary turtle or tiger, since ho-oh is a pheonix and lugia is a dragon. i was thinking we were getting the compass gods for a while there.

Spenner

The birds represent fire, lightening and ice, don't they? With Lugia as their "master". Moltres - Phoenix, Zapdos - Thunderbird, and Articuno.. is based on something Arabic isn't it? Also, the last syllables of each are the spanish numbers 1, 2 and 3 (uno, dos, tres)
Mew is the origanal pokemon, and mewtwo is a clone.
The beasts represent Storms (Raikou), the Northern Winds (Suicune), and Volcanos? (Entei). Ho-oh is their trio master.
Celebii is the protector of the forests.
Groudon represents the continents, Kyogre the Oceans. Rayquaza is both their trio master, and part of it, representing the skies/heavens (not in the religious sense).
Jirachi - shooting star, and wishing on one. Deoxys is based on a virus.
Regi trio most likely represent the 2 ages, as was said earlier, Regigigas is their master, and im guessing possibly is a representation of Atlas?
Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina represent Space, Time and Antimatter.
The pixies are knowledge, emotion and willpower.
Cresselia and Darkrai represent dreams, and nightmares respectively, I think.
Heatran.. I guess it represents lava and magma, and the Earths core.
Shaymin is not a waste. It represents flowers. Who doesn't love flowers? :)
Arceus is not God. It's the Alpha pokemon. Though i suppose it is the creator, it only created land, and the dragon and lake trios not life itself.
i think i got it all in that.

Edit: forgot the Lat@s'. Yin/Yang most likely.

Last edited:

Cubones_Mother

Go Super Sandslash!
Darkrai - The Pokemon of Death. Although it is know as the Pokemon of Nightmares, it Is also commonly reffered to as the Pokemon of Death

Cresseila - Pokemon of Life. Without life, there is no Death, so if Cresseila or Darkrai would dissapear, the other would and the world would become unbalanced.

That's just what I heard.

BCVM22

Nothing, anywhere, ever calls Cresselia and Darkrai "Life and Death" nor is there anything to support such a thing nor will there ever be Pokémon with those distinctions, at least on the count of the latter.

What you "heard" was malarkey.

jellsprout

I don't know what the birds represent. I suppose Zapdos represents thunder, so that would probably mean Articuno represents hail and Moltres represents sunshine.
Suicune represents the nimbus cloud, and indirectly rain, Raikou the cumulonimbus cloud, and indirectly lightning, and Entei represents the cirrus cloud, and indirectly sunny weather.

Ho-oh represents the sun, the sky, the rainbow and calm weather in general. He also represents anything symbollically associated with this, such as life and rebirth.
Lugia represents the moon, the oceans and stormy weather. As the polar opposite of Ho-oh, you could also say he also symbollically represents death and destruction. Note that this type of death isn't evil. It is the destruction that creates the room and resources from which life can be created again.
To combine the Birds with Lugia and the Beasts with Ho-oh, I suppose you could say the Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres represent a hailstorm, thunderstorm and a dry storm (which would also explain why they have the Flying type), while Suicune, Raikou and Entei represent a calm downpour, lightning and a calm sunny day respectively.

Groudon represents extreme sunshine, drought and continents.
Kyogre represents extreme downpours and the oceans.
Rayquaza represents perfectly neutral weather and the sky.

The Birds, Beasts, Ho-oh, Lugia and the Titans represent weather. The first and second gen legends as normal Earthly weather, while Groudon and Kyogre are apocalyptic weather, with Rayquaza balancing these two again.

Mew is the ancenstor of all Pokémon.
Mewtwo is supposed to be the most powerful Pokémon, constantly experimented on to become twisted and bend on destruction.
Together you could see these two representing life and death. While Ho-oh and Lugia represent birth, death and rebirth as a cycle, these two represent life and death as the opposite states, sort of like good and evil.

Regice represents the Ice Age, Regirock the Stone Age, while Registeel reprisents the Iron Age.
Regigigas is the force that moved the continents to their current positions. This mostly happened in prehistoric times, so you could relate him the other Regis as the prehistoric period before man existed.
Another interesting thing to note is how rex (-is) is Latin for king or monarch. So they could be seen as the rulers of their respective eras.

Dialga represents the entire time dimension. Not the specific moments, but the entire timeline as a dimension.
Palkia represents the space dimensions.
Together these are obviously the space-time continuum.
Giratina represents anti-matter. You could also say he represents black holes and dark energy.
Arceus represents the Big Bang. The Big Bang is the moment our universe got created, the moment from which time started flowing, space started expanding and energy, matter and anti-matter got created.
Note that Arceus isn't God or the Creator. He is the parent that gave birth to time, space and energy.

Uxie represents knowledge, Mesprit represents emotion and Azelf represents willpower (obviously). They represent the conciousness of humans, although I have no idea how they are supposed to be related to the universe and the Big Bang.
Cresselia represents the full moon and pleasant dreams, while Darkrai represents the new moon and nightmares.
Together these five represent the human nature.

Manaphy represents the sea.
Shaymin represents the fields.
Heatran represents volcanoes.
Together these three represent nature, although I have no idea how Phione and Skymin fit into this.

Celebi represents the flow of time. While Dialga represent the entire timeline as a static dimension, Celebi represents the flow of it, the sequence of moments, both forward and backward.

Jirachi represents fate, possibly also meteorites and falling stars. So you could also say he represents outer space.

Deoxys doesn't represent anything. It isn't a legendary such as the others, merely a mutated virus. If anything, he represents extra-terrestial life, but this doesn't fit in at all with the others.

I have no idea what Latias and Latios are supposed to represent. Possibly feminanity and masculanity.

Also, these are the out of game representations. They are not "gods" or anything. This is just what the creators most likely had in mind when they created the legendaries, to make them seem more special than the normal Pokémon. In the Pokémon universe they are simply animals. More powerful than normal Pokémon, but nowhere near deities.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Wee... I get to dig up one of my old posts!

Mew: This one is the hardest. I would have to say it represents the unborn potential of, well, unborn creature. This is supported by the fact that it learns all attacks, and it resembles an Embryo.

Mewtwo: Cold, hard science.

Celebi: Again, hard to define. I would have to say Celebi is the closest legend we have to representing nature, as in mother nature.

Regis/Golems: Ice age, Stone age, Bronze age. Simple, no?

Lati@s: Well, I know the design comes from paradise birds... but, other than that, the best guess I have is that they represent virtue.

Kyogre: The oceans. Easy.

Groudon: The lands. Easy.

Rayquaza: The skys. Easy.

Jirachi: Wishes. Who hasn't wished at some point? And this guy represents all that hope. Amazing, really.

Deoxys: Well, since his name is derived from the long way to say DNA... I think you get my drift.

Sprites/Dual Tails/Pixies: Spirit. VERY important. Everything that makes you you, that isn't physically visible, is governed by these three.

Dialga: Time. Time is not only that watch you are holding; it is also the force that governs things happening. If there was no time... nothing could happen.

Palkia: Space. NOT outer space. Everything. You, me, the computer, the sun, the oxygen between me and the computer screen, everything.

Girantina: Antimatter. The Yin to the Yang of existence.

Cresselia: Dreams. A lot like wishes, but... different.

Pione/Manaphy: This one is kinda hard. I guess the life that teems throught the ocean...?

Heatran: This one is probably the most disagreed on. My personal opinion is he is based off those island volcano gods, that often are also hailed as creation gods.

Darkrai: This one is genius. Darkness itself. A pretty harmless force, however, it is feared and hated simply for being what it is. The nightmare aspect? Darkness is the no.1 cause of nightmares. Ever heard of a serious nightmare where there wasn't some mysterious shadow, or the like?

Shaymin: Game Freak was pretty straight forwards on this one. Gratitude. I'll put it into simple words: If it wasn't for this little cutesy, return wouldn't even exist.

Arcuas(sp?): Creation. Just creation. He made everything. This, however, does not mean he cares about everything, any more than an artist may care about a sculpture they have created. However, being an artist myself, I know that you can get quite ****** if the sculpture becomes damaged *coughgirantinacough*.

Darn, forgot one.

Regigigas: The raw, untamed power of... well, anything, really. More a explanation myth than a creation myth - This is why we have continents, instead of one, huge landmass.

BTW, Moltres is NOT a pheonix. That is Ho-oh. Ho-oh's name is very similar to the Jappenese name for pheonic, which is Oh-ho, if memory serves correct. This is supported by the fact Ho-oh brought something back to life. Rather than bringing itself back to life, like most Pheonixes, it brought the Beasts back to life, and imbued them with the powers of Firestorms, Thunderstorms, and Rainstorms, respectively.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Here`s mine:
Articuno:Snow Bird
Zapdos:The Thunder Bird
Moltres:Young Phoinex ?
Mewtwo:Work of Science
Mew:?
Lugia:Loke Ness Monster
Ho-oh:phoniex
Entei:Volcano`s
Raikou:Thunder
Suicune:Wind
Celebii:Time traveling Spirt
Grodoun:The Ground
Kyoger:Sea
Raquzza:Air
Regirock:Stone Age
Regice:Ice Age
Registeel:Steel Age
Jirachi:Wishing Star
Deoxys:Alien
Dialga:Time
Palkia:Space
Giratina: Dark Dimensons
Regigass:Golem Master
Heatern:Volcanos
Cressila:Cresent Moon
Darkrai:New Moon
Shaymin:Flowers
Arceus:god

mas

I believe there is no freaking explanation for none of there origin.

Skull-Kid

I guess they've just always been there.

It's like God. No one has any idea how the being who made everything was made they just assume he's always been there.

lansbury9

Arceus resembles a sheep, right? Arceus most likely means Jah. Shaymin: Gratitude
Ho-Oh: Phienix
Mew: Embryo
Celebi: Tardis lol
Mewtwo: "fateful" experiment
Heatran: Volcanic slab
Deoxys: DNA/Samus
Lugia: Tidal waves
Rayquaza: Stratosphere
Giratina: Anti-matter

We already know some of the others.

Lallul

Pokézombie
In the beginning, there was Arceus. He created the universe and its habitants. Arceus created Dialga and Palkia so that time and space could exist. Arceus created the earth, and Groudon and Kyogre to watch over it.
Arceus created Lugia and Ho-oh to be the guardians of the weather on the earth, embodied by Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, Suicune, Raikou and Entei.
Arceus created Mew, with its purpose to fill the world with life (pokémon)