• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions about the Team Flare arc?

Epicocity

It's objective because you can check it yourself. Or will you say that the few moments of Serena's journey in the first episodes were bigger than
Dawn's entire episodes, and May alongside Ash from the very first episode sharing screentime with him?

I literally said first episodes, and you even acknowledges it on this very post...

Everything is wrong on being biased in a debate. Debates are about facts, not opinions.

No, I just didn't think it was worthy, it would be walking in circles.
Here's a fact: Ash tells Serena "nothing we do is pointless".

The Showcases quite literally build off this fact.

To that point, the Showcases aren't about, truly, how good she is at these things, but rather about her other character flaws. It's why all her losses are associated with falling. It's why all her roadblocks aren't about whether she's good enough, but whether she has the tenacity to continue on in spite of things happening that could make her give up. Because that's what she used to do. Simple? Perhaps. But effective. (Also, on the Rhyhorn angle, reminder that Serena didn't win because she was good at getting Rhyhorn to flock, but because she sought out the lonely Rhyhorn who was hesitant and won it over).

In the end, though, XY used arcs to develop the characters. Or, as I've said before: DP used character development to further their professional careers, while XY used the professional careers to further the characters. It's a different approach that bleeds into the Flare arc that acts not just as the big villain plot but as a capstone for each of the characters to display what they've learned and developed from (Clemont's bravery in taking back his Gym, Ash having bounced back and regained what makes him him, Bonnie in the ultimate taking care of a Pokemon moment, and Serena with giving freely to help someone smile).

It's the whole reason the Flare arc is full of bookends up the wazoo, and it's effective for that very reason (or why else would we have a climax atop Prism Tower with the main conflict with a Ground/Dragon type while Lumiose Gym is under control of someone else and Clemont needs to retake it). Just compare that with this and you can see how the plot has come full circle and the characters have grown from what they were,

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Movie 11 more or less used the distortion world with Giratina, so I can see why they didn't do it again in the anime. And also Dialga/Palkia got a ton of focus in the DP movies too besides that.

Anyhoo if I were to rate all the villain arcs:

Flare > Galactic > Giovanni/Meoletta Operation Tempest > Aether/Lusamine > Team Rocket arcs in Johto > Team Plasma > Magma/Aqua

Can't really include Team Skull since they didn't really get a traditional villain arc, just Guzma in the league.
Mine would be
TG > TF > Team Plasma > Aether/Lusamine > Meloetta > Johto arc > Magma/Aqua.

Jeal

Here's a fact: Ash tells Serena "nothing we do is pointless".

The Showcases quite literally build off this fact.

To that point, the Showcases aren't about, truly, how good she is at these things, but rather about her other character flaws. It's why all her losses are associated with falling. It's why all her roadblocks aren't about whether she's good enough, but whether she has the tenacity to continue on in spite of things happening that could make her give up. Because that's what she used to do. Simple? Perhaps. But effective. (Also, on the Rhyhorn angle, reminder that Serena didn't win because she was good at getting Rhyhorn to flock, but because she sought out the lonely Rhyhorn who was hesitant and won it over).

In the end, though, XY used arcs to develop the characters. Or, as I've said before: DP used character development to further their professional careers, while XY used the professional careers to further the characters. It's a different approach that bleeds into the Flare arc that acts not just as the big villain plot but as a capstone for each of the characters to display what they've learned and developed from (Clemont's bravery in taking back his Gym, Ash having bounced back and regained what makes him him, Bonnie in the ultimate taking care of a Pokemon moment, and Serena with giving freely to help someone smile).

It's the whole reason the Flare arc is full of bookends up the wazoo, and it's effective for that very reason (or why else would we have a climax atop Prism Tower with the main conflict with a Ground/Dragon type while Lumiose Gym is under control of someone else and Clemont needs to retake it). Just compare that with this and you can see how the plot has come full circle and the characters have grown from what they were,
Congratulations, you made me see things from a new perspective.

It is so easy not to be offended by criticism of a series and to offer a coherent answer like that.

Yeah, I think you are right. It doesn't change her lack of focus on the first year, though.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Serena's role in episodes completely unrelated to the Flare arc has nothing to do with your thoughts on the Flare arc. Please stick to the actual subject. Especially when you're the one that made the thread in the first place.

Jeal

Serena's role in episodes completely unrelated to the Flare arc has nothing to do with your thoughts on the Flare arc. Please stick to the actual subject. Especially when you're the one that made the thread in the first place.
I don't know. I think you can close the thread. I knew it wouldn't work. Epicocity's post is enough to me, and the rest is irrelevant.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I don't know. I think you can close the thread. I knew it wouldn't work. Epicocity's post is enough to me, and the rest is irrelevant.

I don't see any reason to close the thread. It was made for people to discuss their thoughts on the Flare arc, wasn't it? People were doing that just fine for several pages before it suddenly got off-topic. Just get back on topic and we should be good.

Jeal

I don't see any reason to close the thread. It was made for people to discuss their thoughts on the Flare arc, wasn't it? People were doing that just fine for several pages before it suddenly got off-topic. Just get back on topic and we should be good.
Fine. People can continue to give their opinions, I'm satisfied.

Remix2

I still think that the team flarc is the best arc in the anime.

It was so good that sm try (and completely fail) to recapture the magic with the guzzlord invasions episode.

RafaSceptile

I still think that the team flarc is the best arc in the anime.

It was so good that sm try (and completely fail) to recapture the magic with the guzzlord invasions episode.

SM never tried it. It was the Guzzlord lore from the SM games and during the League, it was just a "filler" between the finals and the Exhibition Match

NPT

Just a member
There are too many things I hate about with this arc (Alain, Ash getting captured) for me to even consider giving it a rewatch. It's one of most underwhelming XY arcs besides the disappointing Kalos League.

DatsRight

SM never tried it. It was the Guzzlord lore from the SM games and during the League, it was just a "filler" between the finals and the Exhibition Match

I feel it had a similar point in to 'vindicate' the cast that lost the league and give them one final hurrah. However since SM hadn't really built up nearly as much to the arc it wasn't nearly as big a focus (in fact it hadn't really AT ALL, the Guzzlord trio was just one random WTF moment), while XY likely knew after hyping up the league they needed to make a BIG redeemer straight afterwards.

As for the Flare arc, it was...okay for me. Like XY it felt a bit more like a flashy show than that developed for me. It felt like a lot of character agency was discarded really. Alain's ethical stance and 'friend or idol' decision was made for him when Ash broke free himself, Serena was once again stuck trying to NOT look battle incompetent and eventually got forced into the sidelines for it, too many battles were really going on to really showcase them well enough, and it was another case of as soon as the apathetic legendary could be bothered to step in, the fight was INSTANTLY over, I feel like the anime struggles to make a scenario where the villains weren't doomed to a curbstomp in the end. The only one that felt kinda fully realised was Clemont's role, which made up for sidelining him so much throughout the later half of XY.

Granted maybe it's because I favour the comedic Team Flare of the games. Buff up Lysandre as a threat sure, but to make grunts that dress up like THAT completely serious felt kinda dumb, especially if they're just gonna end up punching bags anyway.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
NPT said:
There are too many things I hate about with this arc (Alain, Ash getting captured) for me to even consider giving it a rewatch. It's one of most underwhelming XY arcs besides the disappointing Kalos League.

I was personally pleased to see Satoshi at Fuladari's mercy at the Prism Tower since it allowed the other characters to get more involved in the plot while Satoshi was busy being crucified.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I thought it was a beautiful scene. One of the best of the entire anime, in my opinion.

I wonder what was the point of Yashio. Aside from sending Serena to Hoenn, she did nothing. I think Serena could have decided that on her own.
The haircut scene was weird imo. I thought it would of had more substance if Serena cut her hair AFTER finding faults in her own performances and trying to better herself. She cut her hair because Fennekin fell. Compare to let’s say Sakura (who we all know has a mountain of issues) who cut her hair to show she’d take being a ninja more serious and stopped being deadweight. A haircut is suppose to represent change within yourself and starting a new path (at least in anime culture).

Last edited:

SerenaRulez

I liked the Clembot death episode because it was very emotional. I never thought I would be sad to see a machine die but I almost cried when that happened. :(

Ash and Alain teaming up against Lysandre and Malva helping was a great moment too. I was glad that Bonnie had a part to play in this arc too.

Epicocity

The haircut scene was weird imo. I thought it would had more substance if Serena cut her hair AFTER finding faults in her own performances and trying to better herself. She cut her hair because Fennekin fell. Compare to let’s say Sakura (who we all know has a mountain of issues) who cut her hair to show she’d take being a ninja more serious and stopped being deadweight. A haircut is suppose to represent change within yourself and starting a new path (at least in anime culture).
That was exactly what it was for her. Fennekin tripping was her own fault. She cut the ribbon too long and Fennekin tripped. Losing so badly had her realize this was something she really wanted to do, and it was the starting line of her dream. XY 1 Serena would've quit right there, but XY 60 Serena makes a choice to not and see through her dream, hence the reason she cuts her hair.

It's a mindset that carries through and is fulfilled through Flare to the end of the series.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I think part of the reason he doesn't attribute the specials is because he's a dub-only watcher, which did present the specials as a separate entity while in the Japanese airing they were aired in replacement of the episodes, making them more of just a special episode.

Though, of course, Ash was mentioned in the very first special and then the events in Hoenn were mentioned prior to the Olympia battle while Alain was directly referenced right after the Clemont battle. (He was also in the Japanese Opening that followed that).

Of course, I agree with you in terms of buildup. There's also the fact that Lysandre was very much a shadow guy. He purposely never sent his operatives of Flare into the field until he absolutely needed to when Squishy was broken out in the 4th special, and as soon as he obtained Z-2, you never saw anyone but Xerosic in the field again, and that was mostly for experimental purposes over operations.

I can't seem to find the original post you quoted here, but it was addressed at me, while you answered most of it, the part I'd like to answer since it was asked like a question is why did I think this was even worse than Plasma. I would say that, fair or unfair, I partially give Plasma a pass due to how it was messed up by the earthquake, and it's clear that without that happening, they were setting up for a series-long arc just like TMvTA or TG. Now, I get after reading this thread that I was "supposed" to get that the Mega Evolution Specials were building up to something in the main series, but it's just a fact that I did not get that the first time, which is kind of what matters when I'm gonna give my opinion on something and how I experienced it. And as far as Ash being referenced in one of them, I thought that was just an Easter egg. I did not see the Japanese opening in question. Team Plasma was kind of forced to work with what they got lol, and I thought it was a really good arc given the need to rework their original plan, and I actually liked the self-contained nature. We had had smaller self-contained arcs up to that point like Lugia 3-parter and Red Gyarados 2-parter, but with TMvTA and TG being series-long arcs, this 14-episode self-contained arc was a novel concept to Pokémon and I remember loving it. I also want to say that when I'm giving my opinion about something in this show, I usually recall how I originally felt, because I feel the writers' goal should be to impact the viewer the most on their initial viewing, not subsequent viewings. Hence my thoughts on why TP is better than TF. Now, I get that both happen after the league, but I think most here can agree, even people who love or hate the TF arc, that despite TP and TF happening after the league, TF was after the league in a different way. TF was meant to be the true finale, especially after Ash lost the league. TP on the other hand, was a separate thing. The BW league was the finale of BW, while TP (and later Da!) were random self-contained arcs. Hence they will easily have different expectations. And I think that for something that's the true finale of a whole region, it should have setup from the beginning:

OS finale: Ash vs. Gary - set up from episode 1
AG finale: beating Brandon - ok, this is not set up
(it could also be argued that from may's perspective, "the unbeatable lightness of seeing" is her finale, which was definitely set up all series long)
DP finale: Infernape vs. Electivire - set up from AG192 losing to Electivire and DP003 tying Elekid
BW finale: beating Trip's Serperior - not a good farewell episode for Trip, and it shouldn't have been 1on1, but it was still set up, from the very beginning BW01
SM finale: Pikachu vs. Tapu Koko - set up from SM001-2

something that's set up only in side episodes, and even if you call them main episodes, the first one wasn't as close to the beginning of the series, to me just isn't enough, and carries more weight and importance in the overall XY&Z show than TP arc carries in the BW show, hence it will have different expectations because it needs to play a different storytelling role in its respective series

Team Galactic's only failing is how anticlimactic its finale is. The heroes play little role, Cyrus steps in his portal, it closes and...that's kinda it? Buildup was aces, but it faltered at literal very last step of the arc, which is sadly how I remember it.

And here I hope is a good example of a quote by you that I can use to explain to you how I feel about TF: buildup incredible, but messed up at end. So I hope you can understand how I feel, if you just imagine how you feel about TG, take that feeling and you'll be able to put yourself in my brain with respect to TF

Simple? Perhaps. But effective

I disagree. Her needing to only beat herself is not interesting. It could be interesting as part of a multifaceted multilayered arc, where it was just one piece, but it's the main and only piece. Her rivals are pointless, and even if you say rivals alone don't make a good arc, it doesn't even have to be someone with rivals. They could be COTDs like all the ones May faced. But when May faced them, she had to understand who they were, their strategies, and beat them straight up, not just beat herself.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I get after reading this thread that I was "supposed" to get that the Mega Evolution Specials were building up to something in the main series, but it's just a fact that I did not get that the first time, which is kind of what matters when I'm gonna give my opinion on something and how I experienced it.

I did not see the Japanese opening in question.

I feel the writers' goal should be to impact the viewer the most on their initial viewing, not subsequent viewings.

...I don't think it's the writers fault you didn't watch something the writers meant for you to watch.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
...I don't think it's the writers fault you didn't watch something the writers meant for you to watch.
Maybe not, but it can't be denied it's poorly handled. If you watch the series on say, Pokémon TV and just follow the episodes you'll miss them, there's nothing indicating that these specials even exist. You have to hear about their existence from other fans. Part of that blame lies with TPC that doesn't include them in the Kalos series properly (or really cares about them at all, if they ever even got dubbed in my language I certainly never found them, and I think Disney XD also skips them on their televised runs here if Disney is even aware of their existence), and part of it lies with OLM for making them separate from the regular episodes in the first place.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
and part of it lies with OLM for making them separate from the regular episodes in the first place.

They don't. If you watch the episodes on a Japanese streaming service, or via Japanese home releases, or via reruns on Japanese TV, these episodes are included where they're supposed to be. Here's the series on Japanese Amazon Prime. The Mega specials are right there, where they're supposed to be. Anyone watching the series there is going to see them.

It's the TPCi dub, and only the TPCi dub, that treats these episodes as some kind of non-essential extras. It's not TPC or OLM or anyone else's fault dub viewers miss important episodes or important scenes that the dub cut.

Epicocity

I can't seem to find the original post you quoted here, but it was addressed at me, while you answered most of it, the part I'd like to answer since it was asked like a question is why did I think this was even worse than Plasma. I would say that, fair or unfair, I partially give Plasma a pass due to how it was messed up by the earthquake, and it's clear that without that happening, they were setting up for a series-long arc just like TMvTA or TG. Now, I get after reading this thread that I was "supposed" to get that the Mega Evolution Specials were building up to something in the main series, but it's just a fact that I did not get that the first time, which is kind of what matters when I'm gonna give my opinion on something and how I experienced it. And as far as Ash being referenced in one of them, I thought that was just an Easter egg. I did not see the Japanese opening in question. Team Plasma was kind of forced to work with what they got lol, and I thought it was a really good arc given the need to rework their original plan, and I actually liked the self-contained nature. We had had smaller self-contained arcs up to that point like Lugia 3-parter and Red Gyarados 2-parter, but with TMvTA and TG being series-long arcs, this 14-episode self-contained arc was a novel concept to Pokémon and I remember loving it. I also want to say that when I'm giving my opinion about something in this show, I usually recall how I originally felt, because I feel the writers' goal should be to impact the viewer the most on their initial viewing, not subsequent viewings. Hence my thoughts on why TP is better than TF. Now, I get that both happen after the league, but I think most here can agree, even people who love or hate the TF arc, that despite TP and TF happening after the league, TF was after the league in a different way. TF was meant to be the true finale, especially after Ash lost the league. TP on the other hand, was a separate thing. The BW league was the finale of BW, while TP (and later Da!) were random self-contained arcs. Hence they will easily have different expectations. And I think that for something that's the true finale of a whole region, it should have setup from the beginning:

OS finale: Ash vs. Gary - set up from episode 1
AG finale: beating Brandon - ok, this is not set up
(it could also be argued that from may's perspective, "the unbeatable lightness of seeing" is her finale, which was definitely set up all series long)
DP finale: Infernape vs. Electivire - set up from AG192 losing to Electivire and DP003 tying Elekid
BW finale: beating Trip's Serperior - not a good farewell episode for Trip, and it shouldn't have been 1on1, but it was still set up, from the very beginning BW01
SM finale: Pikachu vs. Tapu Koko - set up from SM001-2

something that's set up only in side episodes, and even if you call them main episodes, the first one wasn't as close to the beginning of the series, to me just isn't enough, and carries more weight and importance in the overall XY&Z show than TP arc carries in the BW show, hence it will have different expectations because it needs to play a different storytelling role in its respective series

And here I hope is a good example of a quote by you that I can use to explain to you how I feel about TF: buildup incredible, but messed up at end. So I hope you can understand how I feel, if you just imagine how you feel about TG, take that feeling and you'll be able to put yourself in my brain with respect to TF

I disagree. Her needing to only beat herself is not interesting. It could be interesting as part of a multifaceted multilayered arc, where it was just one piece, but it's the main and only piece. Her rivals are pointless, and even if you say rivals alone don't make a good arc, it doesn't even have to be someone with rivals. They could be COTDs like all the ones May faced. But when May faced them, she had to understand who they were, their strategies, and beat them straight up, not just beat herself.
To me, I can sum up my entire response as: a final conflict does not need to be set up from the beginning to be good. Conflict very often evolves. Even Ash and Paul never solidified what it was truly about until Ash caught Chimchar, which didn't happen until DP 48.

However, to make the argument that it was a very good finale as intended, the first is that in some ways it was set up early on between Sycamore's research, Meyer as Blaziken Mask and the already obvious Ash and Greninja plotline set up that Froakie was special.

That said, the final conflict builds heavily on the bookending. If the final conflict was established as soon as that episode, the bookending, I believe, wouldn't have been as powerful. Instead, we get an action packed opener to XY with, as I had said, a Dragon/Ground rampaging in Lumiose and the Lumiose Gym under the control of someone other than Clemont, with much of the events taking place on Prism Tower. When we loop back around to Flare, all of these small details are there, too, but the characters are in entirely different places.

Flare is definitely a big blockbuster finale, but what it also is that deviates from the norm of Pokemon, is a gigantic character piece, like most of XY. This seems to be Yajima's staple, really. The flash, glitz and glamor is just the icing to make it all look pretty while he really dives into the characters. It's not about their external accomplishments so much as internal growth. Neither way is inherently better, but you can't lambaste a series just because it doesn't match up with past series. (Because, by token, Tapu Koko doesn't work as that plotline isn't even explored for over 100 episodes, so it being the finale is meaningless to the plot)

This applies to the stuff about Serena as well, but I won't dive into that. And Dephender addressed the issue of watching dub-only and how it impacted your experience, which shouldn't be held against the writing of the series or the arc. Plus, I don't know how you missed Alain actually appearing in the main series in XY 68 from a Sycamore flashback. That's not an Easter Egg, as it's a deliberate hint of this character showing up, more than 30 episodes before the Mega Evolution specials truly bled into the Ash story.

tl;dr Conflict doesn't need to be set up at the beginning to be good, and the lack of Flare in episode 1 is okay because XY is a character piece, ultimately, whose arcs reach their end in the bombastic Flare arc, making that the conflict, not necessarily the battle with Lysandre.