• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions; Action Scenes w/Legendaries

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Yes, another topic by Serpent Syra. ^^

After completing the tenth chapter of Sky, and brewing ideas up for the eleventh and how I want to approach it, I stumbled upon a problem that I need different views for. Like the title, says, action scenes w/legendaries.

Legendaries are considered to be Pokemon that authors barely touch in fanfiction (trainer fanfictions, that is), though I have a fantasy/action hybrid fanfiction that involves the three legendary beasts, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune. They are disastrous monsters that are trying to kill the major character, who is human (and a warrior), though I wonder would be appropriate for a warrior to have a deadly battle against a legendary? I've read stories where when humans attempt to even approach them, they are somehow sentenced in the present or future. Now, I really wanted to stray away from the curses and other properties, having an exciting, mind-blowing battle between man and Pokemon.

So, I need opinions; what are your feelings upon people battling legendaries, people fighting legendaries (to protect themselves), legendaries getting hurt, and them actually fighting against humans without running away? The three elemental beasts are utterly deranged, wild, and insane, but nevertheless, they are legendaries and they set boundaries, in accordance to them with humans. I just wanted opinions on it with the scenes and such, whether it'd be appropriate to write a person actually fighting a legendary in attempt to defense himself/herself and possibly painfully hurt the beast in the process? Or should I simply remain legendaries fighting against other Pokemon?

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Legendaries are considered to be Pokemon that authors barely touch in fanfiction (trainer fanfictions, that is)
Actually, since so many darn n00bs poison their fics with Legendarys, all the good authors seem to hide from them. I love Legendaries, even in trainer fics. The way I see it, it's one of those make it or break it things.

Now, legendary battles are an inevitablity in Legendary-based fics, and from the way you've desribed the situation your fic has set, I don't see why it would be any problem. In my fic, most of the Legendaries remain apprehensive toward the humans' growing power, and regard the species with a wary and contempt view, even though eight of them are instructed to handpick a human to side with them. In a later chapter, the main character is summoned to a challenge with a Legendary that would ultimately determine their position in a war.

But enough of that. If the three of them are trying to kill the main character, I see no way that it could backfire, as there would be no reason for them to flee if they were pressing the attack. Avoiding the curse concept is a thumbs-up right now, I can tell you.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
I see no problem with pitting your main character against a legendary, but seriously, if they're out to kill him he's going to die unless he's got some ultra-spiffy weaponry on him.

I agree with Chibi Pika in that the avoidance of legendaries is mainly due to all of the cute little 'fics where the main character begins with a Mew. Legendaries are some of the most fun to write, imo, and as long as you treat them well they will do fine in a story.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Yeah, I'm desperately running away from the 'legendary-curse-if-you-try-to-fight-them' spell. I find it a useful source in legendary short stories, but not this time around.

Yes, the three elemental beasts want to exterimate him from the world, raging across Galabonia and scaring them to display their growing rage. However, I'm stuck with the fact that they would have the ability to do a 'hit-and-run' scene, basically meaning they attack, then use Roar to escape or something of that area. And plus, some people seem to stray away from battles where man is fighting against legendary, and man is actually winning. Sure, the beast will eventually escape once taking over the entire battle, though I'm just *iffy* about the whole thing.

EDIT: For Negrek's comment, the main character will not actually die, to be honest, since the legendaries will go through a process called "regrouping" where after they do so much damage, they leave and confront the trainer somewhere else, hoping he has grown weaker. They plan to kill him the slowest and deadliest way, which is the best in their eyes. >>; And yeah, legendaries are wonderful to write about, especially displaying what powers they have over average Pokemon and such. ^^

Last edited:

Faerie

MONS
I'm actually planning to use a Legendary in Love and Loyalty sometime. It's going to be portrayed as different than the kind of Legendary than they show in the anime, games; I'm avoiding the cliches in every way possible. I won't say any more about it as not to spoil anything, but I might post it in the "How do you see your fic ending?" thread if anyone wants to know. xD

Kiyohime

Sin's going to be chock-full of Legendaries, but not doing exactly what one might expect.

[SPOIL]For starters, I have Regirock threatening to stomp Zeffy flat over a small dispute between the two. Then there's Rayquaza, who gets infected with Sin (this was originally suggested to me by Serpent Syra, then he's using it in his fic now, so no accustations of plagarism) and begins to attack settlements until the SIN "burns" him out from the inside. It's intended to demostrate how the legendaries are so powerful, not even a small army could defeat it, only attempt to hold it off until it died from the SIN virus. What I'm trying to show is, legendaries can die (although don't EVEN try with ordinary human weapons) and return to the Void ruled over by Yin (Lugia), but they can be eventually resurrected if Yang (Ho-oh) wishes it.[/SPOIL]

I suppose it all relies on how skilled the author is to avoid making legendaries all two-dimesional and cliched. ^^;; I'm fairly confident you'll do well.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Exactly, Scrap. (I reply to these threads so quickly, don't I? ^^) And oh course, no plagarism, since my virus doesn't actually kill the legendaries, more like sending them insane until they die from natural causes or something. ^^ Though, the legendaries don't only fight the main character...they have other goals and dreams such as supremacy and dominance.

I asked this because I have never written about legendaries within any of my fanfictions, so I'm fairly new to writing about them (excluding my first stories where the trainers had a baby Suicune, Raikou, or Entei. 8D) So, I'm not sure about people's opinions concerning people fighting against legendaries, whether it is a turn-off or turn-on. x.x Plus, whether or not a legendary should be painfully bleeding or bruised from a battle with man, since it would be a new category from regularly battling against another Pokemon.

Kiyohime

Hmmm..if memory serves right, in the manga, the Three Beasts exuded energy fields so powerful, it was impossible for humans to get near them unless they had special equipment (oxygen respirators and all that stuff).

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
Scrap said:
Hmmm..if memory serves right, in the manga, the Three Beasts exuded energy fields so powerful, it was impossible for humans to get near them unless they had special equipment (oxygen respirators and all that stuff).

Unfortunately, yes. The legendaries, in the manga, are depicted as way too powerful IMO. I find that if legendaries are that powerful in fics, it is extremely difficult to get them to interact with characters.

My fics have depicted the legendaries as being dozens of times stronger than regular Pokémon, not millions of times stronger. The manga depiction of legendaries basically says "no matter how many ordinary Pokémon you put against a legendary, it can overcome them all...and that oversteps type barriers." I find that fics become more exciting when legendaries start losing to Pokémon you wouldn't think of as all that strong...in a realistic fashion of course. We can't have Raikou losing to a pack of Magikarp now can we lol...

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Scrap said:
o.o; Thank you for the valuable information, there, Scrap. Now, is there any possible way that I can simply avoid this matter and just write them as I would normal Pokemon, only with more...featured appearances and such? Regardless, I'm still not sure if a person would actually be able to land a hit upon a legendary, since they have so many powers and can simply put a Protect barrier around their body and blow the person back like a gale. --;

RaikouRider, I plan on doing the same; the legendaries will be oh course stronger than average Pokemon, but does that actually make them stronger than humans, let alone warriors or assassins? I mean, sure it would, but assassins are specialized-trained killers. I'm trying to find a way that a person (with a sword) would be able to work his/her way around a legendary's deceitful tricks and actually land excruciating blows on it. And, possibly find a way where the person isn't punished for it in a future chapter. o.o

Kiyohime

Well, try comparing the odds to a human defeating a lion or a grizzly. The animals are stronger, faster, and don't judge or make moral decisions, but defend themselves and flee when they feel it's neccessary. Humans have rational minds, and so do the Beasts, so the odds may be a bit doubled. However, if they're rendered insane by the Slinx Virus, then that may downgrade their rational thought a bit, so it's all down to who's got a bigger gun, I guess. XD

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Yes, the Slinx Virus does corrupt their intelligence, blowing their knowledge and thinking and critical boundaries of the mind around like crazy horses stamping cowboys on mountains. 8D

And thanks for the suggestion, Scrap, about the comparing segment of your post. ^^ I'll take that into great consideration and thought when I start writing up the eleventh chapter. The beasts' minds, however, have enhanced once the virus reaches its climaxing point before setting back down. Nonetheless, I'm still worried about whether it'd be fair or not to have the main character inflict damage upon them.

C

+Chaos Blade+

In Life of a Trainer, the original, Trevor had to save Legendaries. In "Rewritten", he'll do the same, but, probably the Pokémon he saved, injured as they are, will fight back. Sure, it can lead to more plots, like if a rescued Jirachi has its left arm broken and can't use Meteronome correctly, etc.

I'm planning a scene in BT in which a Gyarados [I don't know if it could be the main character's], who's a wussy, and has a crappy nature, fights a Regi. Not too sure, though.

+Chaos Blade+

xXSaberXx

xxxXsightless
D: *sighs*

Teh legendaries. xPPPPPPPPPP

Welps. Battles with Legendaires......I think, personally, would never really happen. To me, they like to stay as hidden as possible because of humans, basically, but if you're all doing another world, then that's another thing. ^^

So, I need opinions; what are your feelings upon people battling legendaries, people fighting legendaries (to protect themselves), legendaries getting hurt, and them actually fighting against humans without running away?

People vs. Legendary

Welps. They'd die. The people, I mean. Legendaries, in general, are named that for one reason; they are different from other pokemon. They have certain powers, and usually have a direct link to a powerful earthly attribute, like time, space, lightning, water, fire, ice, rebirth, the sea, etc etc. They are almost like gods, and the humans want them for this reason. For power, essentially. Unless using another legendary, it would take around maybe a million people to subdue or let alone TOUCH a legendary. Possibly. Even armed with guns. Bullets can be deflected with speed, water walls, pyschic powers, etc.

Fighting Legendary to Defend Self

Well, why would they attack you in the first place? In any case, if they did, I think they'd just outright kill you. Maybe if you were a trainer, you could stand a fighting chance, but not without pokemon. Definetly not.

Legendary Getting Hurt

Unless its with another legendary or a pokemon, then no. No way they could get hurt by just a bullet or taser round. XP Not even a plasma cannon.

Legendary Fighting but Winning Without Running Away

They would probably just either, A. Massacre everything, or B. Detain the people/pokemon/whatever with a water cage/sleep technique/etc.

xP

My opnions. *dance* o_O

Klaus

TOMATO BERRY!
Yes. All in all, the human would die. Cause I mean, Raiko can shock you to death. Entei could burn you to death and Suicune could freeze you to death. That's why they stay hidden as xXSaberXx said. They don't want to have to kill you. And they could bite your neck faster then you can run. The only way one can be injured is by another legendary.

As always, be kind the mime.

Heh, my Fic IS a Legendary Battle ;P

Well, when the First War began, humans weren't around. So I just had the Legendaries duking it out, beating the sense out of each other. Whether their allegiance was to Kyogre, Groudon, or if they acted independently, they were still fighting.

But now, since humans are around, and the Second War looms on the horizon for humans and Pokémon, I dunno exactly how to handle it. [SPOIL]I think I like my original idea, where the Regis build a sanctuary for the humans to shelter in as the War extends across Hoenn. Makes the most sense, as Regice's goal in its renewed life will be re-creating the Lost Utopia. So when there are people to protect and rooms to be filled, it'll be a great place for shelter.[/SPOIL]

IMO, though, generally speaking, there shouldn't be overkill on the Legendaries. It's alright for me, because my Fic is Legendary-based, but if you plan to bring in Legendaries, I'd advise against using too many, because it would be extremely dull and redundant having all of them killing everything.

Lol hypocrisy ._.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Dragonfree

Just me
*shrugs* You can interpret legendaries as you like, really. Heck, I'm inconsistent and my fics are all different in this aspect. In Mew and Legendary Revenge, they're gods but mortal and not THAT much stronger than a regular Pokémon, but will be avenged if killed. In The Quest for the Legends they're practically immortal and extremely powerful, but [spoil]actually not godly in nature although it may seem so at first[/spoil] (very slight spoiler unless combined with information that nobody knows but me, so highlight away if you want). Then in Chains and Shackles, Mew simply IS God (which is kinda funny because I'm agnostic-leaning-towards-atheism, but meh). So yeah... up to you, as long as it makes sense.

Last edited:

Dilasc

Boip!
Dust to Deceit has a legendary theme. Heck, the whole land has its own legendaries, the demonic mask onis. The way I see it, legendaries are supposed to be the defenders of their region. Of course, these Oni are defenders, but they are evil rats at heart.

[SPOIL]These five demons will clash against Lugia, aided by Moltres, and havoc will rip the land, the way it did five hundred eighteeen years ago. Humans too will clash, all over the Orbital Occult, and the portal maker legendary gas tank Vortexaco.[/SPOIL]

Now, personally, I used to despise legendaries myself. Then, recently, why just back a few months ago when I rebirthed my precious Dust to Deceit, I came to the realization that legendaries aren't so bad. They are not mindless, and are in fact, very different in personalities. Well, other than the 00ber legend, Vortexaco. Vortexaco has a more robotic wavelength to its mind, much like a Magnemite... even if it is Psychic. Uh, but both you and I will both find out, since I personally have to work out the details on that one.

Zerodius

Eternally hating D/P
Now, here is my opinion concerning fighting Legendary Pokemon in fanfics.

The Legendary Pokemon are insanely powerful, often portrayed as the Pokemon World's deities, nothing less! Even when they aren't deities, they're powerful enough to wreck entire continents by themselves and manipulate the very fabric of time and space.

As such, there are two solutions...

Either your character uses the power of another Legendary Pokemon to counter the beasts...

Either your character has a legendary weapon of some sort...

Or your character is backed up by thousands and thousands of characters that unleash the element against which the Legendary Pokemon are weak...

Finally, the Legendary Beasts are weakened to a point where your character can stand a chance against them.

As for your character facing them without a Legendary-class weapon or without them being weakened on his own and not being completely P0w3nd, well, this classify as an instant "Gary Stu/Mary Sue" since your character is stronger than three Legendary Beasts on his own... unless the Beasts are fakes which are not nearly at the level of the originals.

This could be another possibility, make the Beasts be copies that aren't nearly as strong as the originals.

Final possibility: Legendary Pokemon, in your fic, are portrayed as just regular Pokemon except a bit stronger than average. I hate this view usually since altought I admit that my stories stray very far from the canon, I like some characters to at least share some characteristics with the canon (such as the Legendary Pokemon being worthy of the legends surrounding them).

Well, that's all.

Last edited:

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Before I continue, might I add that the Slinx Virus is capable of weakening the legendary beast every time they are using an attack. For example, after every assault or attempted attack by Suicune, her attacks decreases in triple amounts. However, she'll nevertheless hold up for a very long time, since she's a legendary and they have 'magical powers' to heal. However, I don't want to make it seem as though SHE is the powerful one and cannot be beaten. With the right weapons (and just a sword, ladies and gents. No legendary weaponry-crap) and such an insanity virus as such, I think the legendaries won't have such an easy time battling against a sword-training human.