• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions on events

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

Does anyone else think that events are kind of annoying?
I mean, sure, there will be most likely over 800 Pokemon by the next generation, but what if someone actually wants to catch them all?
I know some people may see it impossible at this point, but people are doing it, and it really would be a lot easier without events.
Any normal Pokemon from previous generations aren't hard to get, and with patience, you can get all non-legendaries (and legendaries part of the storyline). Of course, there's always the events, which consist of legendaries, and if you don't get the event, or have something good to offer to someone trading events, then you can't get them. Really an annoyance for kids today who want to actually catch 'em all.
What do you guys think about this?

BCVM22

Filling a Pokédex top to bottom isn't supposed to be easy. You're supposed to have to jump through some hoops if you want every slot filled from 1 to 800+. Furthermore, as you can't really have a true limited edition or "one of a kind" element in this collectible set - or at least not like you could, say, a stamp or a coin or a comic book or a figurine of some sort - events allow them to manufacture some artificial scarcity, ensuring that no, not everyone will have all 800+ critters. Not that the scarcity is terribly difficult to overcome, but they can at least dress up the events as if they're something on which you'll regret missing out.

To people for whom it is an "annoyance", I suppose that's sad for them, but not much else. Between Wi-Fi and in-store events, more than enough people have access to one or the other if not both that far, far more people are able to obtain the event critters than are not. And if someone doesn't have access to either, again, that's unfortunate for them and not much else, and certainly not an indictment of the distribution method as a whole. The events aren't designed to be available to everyone, because that would be impossible, among other things. Instead, they're designed to be available to as many people as possible, which they are.

Bottom line? They're not going anywhere any time soon. Maybe some new distribution method comes about as the generations move along, but the bottom line is that no, not everyone is going to be able to obtain everything, every time, everywhere, and that's the simple reality of the matter. No doubt the subsequent posts in this thread will be peppered if not inundated with people complaining to that end - "I don't have a GameStop near me!" (sorry); "I don't have Wi-Fi!" (that's a shame); "It's unfair! They should make them all in-game!" (sure is, life's not fair, and no, they shouldn't) - and lord knows what else, but there's little to no chance of the current distribution method(s) changing.

Last edited:

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
The only thing that bugs me about certain events is when they're shiny. I'm a shiny hunter and seeing the GameStop events for shiny Dialgas, Palkias, and Giratinas sucks because I really would like to hunt for them, and as soon as the event has passed, they lose their value. Same with shiny Gyarados, but that's an in-game problem.

Nion

Passionate Trainer
I don't think it's too bad. I've caught them all legitimately, and the difficulty made it more fun. I'm looking forward to catching all the new Pokemon in Y version, and I look forward to their events.

My only complaint is that the events are too exclusive. I have Black version, and I can't get any of these Black/White 2 Events =/

BCVM22

My only complaint is that the events are too exclusive.

Not really. Their priority is always to push and support the most recent standard. That's what Black/White 2 still are for a little while yet, ergo that's where most of their event support will go until that's no longer the case.

I have Black version, and I can't get any of these Black/White 2 Events =/

Isn't the solution to that to buy Black/White 2 if you want them that badly...?

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I don't think it's too bad. I've caught them all legitimately, and the difficulty made it more fun. I'm looking forward to catching all the new Pokemon in Y version, and I look forward to their events.

My only complaint is that the events are too exclusive. I have Black version, and I can't get any of these Black/White 2 Events =/

Wasn't it only Genesect and the Deoxys that were BW2 only?

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
I know some people may see it impossible at this point, but people are doing it, and it really would be a lot easier without events.
Any normal Pokemon from previous generations aren't hard to get, and with patience, you can get all non-legendaries (and legendaries part of the storyline). Of course, there's always the events, which consist of legendaries, and if you don't get the event, or have something good to offer to someone trading events, then you can't get them. Really an annoyance for kids today who want to actually catch 'em all.

I think you are contradicting yourself a bit. You say people want to catch 'em all, but events make it too easy? And then you say that they are annoying because when they end there will be people who miss out? Not sure what to make of this. Isn't the whole point of events to provide people with a way to get unobtainable/ hard to get Pokemon e.g. non-seasonal Pokemon, without cheating, enabling people to catch 'em all?

Though I do agree with Frost Mage, with regards to the availability of the shiny Dragon Trio, I would certainly take part in the events if it were available in New Zealand but to be honest I don't see why they are offering them. For contrast, I thought the Shiny Beasts were a good idea to commemorate the movie.

Overall I'm definitely in favour of events, though I believe that they shouldn't be over the top and just have an event for the sake of it. It'd be more fitting if events were mostly introduced to coincide with something special, like an anniversary or a movie.

lara lynx

BCVM22 said:
To people for whom it is an "annoyance", I suppose that's sad for them, but not much else. Between Wi-Fi and in-store events, more than enough people have access to one or the other if not both that far, far more people are able to obtain the event critters than are not. And if someone doesn't have access to either, again, that's unfortunate for them and not much else, and certainly not an indictment of the distribution method as a whole. The events aren't designed to be available to everyone, because that would be impossible, among other things. Instead, they're designed to be available to as many people as possible, which they are.

You are probably from either America or Japan. For most other countries, its a lot more difficult - that's my experience anyway.

I get why they do it though: its supposed to be difficult to complete the pokedex, and only those who really, really want it will do it. And pokemon has always tried to encourage being social through the game, with going our to events definitely helps.

More than anything, I think there should be more events or something.

Chandelurefan1

I'm fine with events, because the event pokemon are worth it. I live in the UK, where Pokémon isn't as big as in America or Japan, however I live near a GAME store, so I can go to the events at will, in which I planning to go to the local store to get the Shiny Dialga, Shiny Palkia and Shiny Giratina when the time comes

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I have never actually been to an event.
Do you have to pay? I live in the UK.

Only for the gasoline required to get to the event location (assuming that you're not within walking/biking distance), unless it's a Wi-Fi event in which case you just download the Pokémon directly onto your game via your Internet connection.

Garbodor.

Only for the gasoline required to get to the event location (assuming that you're not within walking/biking distance), unless it's a Wi-Fi event in which case you just download the Pokémon directly onto your game via your Internet connection.

That sounds good tbh. I still have to get the bus to get the nearest game station.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I actually love events, even though I don't have access to a good 50% of them because I don't actually live in the States.

It's free stuff, gets you out of the house, and if you're lucky, you get to meet new people who share an interest with you. It can help encourage trades, it's great eye candy/completionist stuff. Honestly, most of the events are stuff you can get without actually NEEDING to go to an area to get them. Most of the important events are done over Wi-Fi. The special store ones are just for the Pokemon that are usually like, SHiny, or have a special move or go along with a movie or something. There's no need for them as you can obtain them (usually later on) via WiFi OR from previous games.

It's like, bonus stuff. It's a free service, like DLC that you don't have to pay for. I think they're great, even with the fact that I can't actually obtain them.

Aegon

I'm really not a fan of in-store events, as they deliberately exclude many players. Like me, for instance. :|

BCVM22

They include far, far more people than they exclude. Again: if you personally do not live near a GameStop, that's unfortunate, but in no way is it an indictment of the system as a whole. Far, far more people have access to such a location than do not. If the people who do not have access aren't in the minority outright, they're the smaller percentage by a fair margin to be sure.

Marco The Phoenix

Y Yes, I Watch Anime
The better events are always no where near me. I'm also not traveling hours just to go to one. Like the upcoming events. Palkia, dialga, & giratina. I don't care for either of them being shiny. Each is ugly.

Just, some of the rarer legendaries are hard to come by. Overall they annoy me.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
LOL that Munchlaxguy was right. BCVM is trying to establish his dominance as the all knowing wisest one. XD

It's free stuff, gets you out of the house, and if you're lucky, you get to meet new people who share an interest with you.
lolwut. Chances are your probably going to go out just to get the game and run as fast as possible back to your house.

Anyways I only see event pokemon as inconvenient to people who dont have wifi, because a lot of events are just wifi and you dont really have any hoops to jump over. even if you do waste your time and dignity (depending on how old you are) going into gamestop just to download some pokemon event it doesnt matter if you dont have internet to get the others. Not only that but there is always someone out there willing to give rare pokemon (probably cloned) to people that ask. I'd suggest going to the various shops on this forum for more info on that.

Last edited:

randomspot555

You are probably from either America or Japan. For most other countries, its a lot more difficult - that's my experience anyway.

Your experience is wrong. Every 4th and 5th gen major event, such as the movie ones, was distributed not only in the US and Japan, but throughout Europe and Australia as well (except for, oddly enough, the movie Manaphy, but Manaphy was still available via Ranger anyway, sooo).

There is a difference between events not being available and people ignoring them or missing out. In the vast majority of cases, people are not outside of an event country, but choose not to attend or download them for whatever reason.

More than anything, I think there should be more events or something.

There are more events now than ever before and it is easier to complete a dex now than it was in Gen I where you were limited to very long waits for in-person events and local trading.

Anyways I only see event pokemon as inconvenient to people who dont have wifi, because a lot of events are just wifi and you dont really have any hoops to jump over. even if you do waste your time and dignity (depending on how old you are) going into gamestop just to download some pokemon event

If you are worried about "your dignity" in terms of enjoying a game, then you've got much larger issues facing you than what event Pokemon are available to you. Or you can just not play the game that causes you so much shame.

Last edited: