• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions on events

TheEliteEmpoleon

I like events. They add that extra little challenge of obtaining certain pokémon to complete the goal that many people have: completing the pokédex. I don't want them to leave. In fact, I want more, meaning I want less Japanese exclusive events.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I don't have any problem with events as such, I just wish they made more of them global so that everyone would be able to have access to them.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
If you are worried about "your dignity" in terms of enjoying a game, then you've got much larger issues facing you than what event Pokemon are available to you. Or you can just not play the game that causes you so much shame.

Thats funny i dont remember ever saying I'm ashamed to play pokemon or that I dont enjoy the game so I'm not seeing why your calling me out on that I'm saying it just feels stupid to go to Gamestop to get events. Now whether you believe and/or tell me why that's false is your opinion but telling people they have issues and should stop playing is a poor solution to any argument.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Thats funny i dont remember ever saying I'm ashamed to play pokemon or that I dont enjoy the game so I'm not seeing why your calling me out on that I'm saying it just feels stupid to go to Gamestop to get events.

you said:
Anyways I only see event pokemon as inconvenient to people who dont have wifi, because a lot of events are just wifi and you dont really have any hoops to jump over. even if you do waste your time and dignity (depending on how old you are) going into gamestop just to download some pokemon event

Your post clearly communicates that your "dignity" is at stake because you have to *gasp* go to a video game store to get a video game based event. Now why you wrote that and still claim you aren't ashamed of playing Pokemon is beyond me, maybe you should write your posts more clearly so people don't get that impression.

Now whether you believe and/or tell me why that's false is your opinion but telling people they have issues and should stop playing is a poor solution to any argument.

It's actually a really good argument. People shouldn't do things that cause them to sacrifice their dignity. In your situation, that would clearly to be to stop playing Pokemon if your dignity is at stake by *gasp* going to a video game store for a video game related event.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
Your post clearly communicates that your "dignity" is at stake because you have to *gasp* go to a video game store to get a video game based event. Now why you wrote that and still claim you aren't ashamed of playing Pokemon is beyond me, maybe you should write your posts more clearly so people don't get that impression.

It's actually a really good argument. People shouldn't do things that cause them to sacrifice their dignity. In your situation, that would clearly to be to stop playing Pokemon if your dignity is at stake by *gasp* going to a video game store for a video game related event.

im stating that it looks really stupid to go all the way to gamestop JUST to get a game event. maybe it wasnt clear even so the game event is not the whole game.

not wanting to do gamestop events =/= not wanting to play the game. im not sacrificing anything from not doing gamestop crap because the game does not rely on events to be playable. quit trying to put the two together.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't really mind the trivial ones that distribute common Pokemon like Pikachu with special moves or whatever, but I really dislike the ones that distribute one-of-a-kind Legendary Pokemon at places like Gamestop. I shouldn't have to drive across town just to download a Pokemon into my game. I'm all for a challenge, but that's just plain inconvenient.

Aegon

Again: if you personally do not live near a GameStop, that's unfortunate, but in no way is it an indictment of the system as a whole.
In-store events aren't held in my country at all.

Far, far more people have access to such a location than do not. If the people who do not have access aren't in the minority outright, they're the smaller percentage by a fair margin to be sure.
I still don't think it's fair. I bought the game. Why should I have access to fewer events than others because of where I live?

Grumpy Drizzle

I hope that there will be more wi-fi events during 6th gen.
In-Life events may work for Japan, but everywhere else they are available only for minority of players and it's downright unfair.

MSK

I don't care about going into the store to do events. I went every day for the Keldeo event to GAME in the UK, managed to download a box full and RNG them all with various natures, HP's etc for my competitive teams. I just walked into the store every lunch time, took up a position by the till, downloaded the event, then walked out.
No shame whatsoever . . . and I'm 34 ;) and yes I'll be doing the exact same thing for the upcoming Palkia, Dialga, Girantina events!!

Does anyone know anything about the current Pokémon Tour going on around the UK? I only saw it on Facebook last night and there is an event as Westfield White City this weekend, I think I'll pop down but not sure what's going to be on or if any events will be handed out there??

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
I actually like events now that Nintendo does them at normal places, even if it does feel less special. I collect them though, so they're fun to trade and hunt for me

Scolipedeluv

Squad member Ricchan
My only real complaint with events is that about 90% of events are either Japan only or you can only get them if you're into competitive battling.

randomspot555

im stating that it looks really stupid to go all the way to gamestop JUST to get a game event. maybe it wasnt clear even so the game event is not the whole game.

not wanting to do gamestop events =/= not wanting to play the game. im not sacrificing anything from not doing gamestop crap because the game does not rely on events to be playable. quit trying to put the two together.

I don't really mind the trivial ones that distribute common Pokemon like Pikachu with special moves or whatever, but I really dislike the ones that distribute one-of-a-kind Legendary Pokemon at places like Gamestop. I shouldn't have to drive across town just to download a Pokemon into my game. I'm all for a challenge, but that's just plain inconvenient.

If your beef is with having to drive somewhere for an event, most Game Stops and Toys R Us are within these things called "strip malls" or "commercial districts", where several retail outlets and restaurants are all within a given area. If you're going grocery shopping, getting a bite to eat, or getting some clothes from Target, then you can ALSO swing by the Game Stop to get your Pokeymanz.

But if you can't figure something like this out, then that's unfortunate. But in no way is that a failure on the event's part. And I don't see why you're poor planning has anything to do with your "dignity".

In-store events aren't held in my country at all.

I still don't think it's fair. I bought the game. Why should I have access to fewer events than others because of where I live?

I hope that there will be more wi-fi events during 6th gen.
In-Life events may work for Japan, but everywhere else they are available only for minority of players and it's downright unfair.

Life isn't fair, and that's truly unfortunate. However, the Pokemon games are fully playable and can be enjoyed right out of the box. While doing stuff like trading, Wi-Fi battling, events, etc... is a nice bonus, the games are still fully playable on their own and can provide as much or as little entertainment as you desire.

The opposite, Wi-Fi events, also has some "unfairness" as well. Nintendo and co have opted for a combination of Wi-Fi and in-store events that allow for a wide variety of gamers to obtain events. While there are some areas of the world that aren't serviced by such, in the vast majority of cases, people miss events in their country for whatever reason and have only themselves to blame. There's no shortage of Australian posters, for example, that have talked about "no events" while Australia has gotten every single notable Gen 4 and 5 event so far.

My only real complaint with events is that about 90% of events are either Japan only or you can only get them if you're into competitive battling.

The "Japan only", or vast majority of them anyway, events are mostly because they are in honor of specific Japanese cultural celebrations or events. They aren't intended to be events for around the world, or even across the country of Japan. They're meant for that specific town or that specific day or that specific event (IE concert, movie, historical anniversary, etc...)

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You know you don't need event legendaries to complete the Dex anymore, right? So that shouldn't even be an issue.

I'm more concerned with the fact that they've had too many BW2 exclusive events. I can understand limiting it to the most recent generation of games, that makes sense because of communication limits. But the same events for BW2 work with BW1 (with the exception, of course, of new forms introduced in BW2), so there's no real reason to do this. Meanwhile, keeping to only the most recent games adds a sense of inflexibility to this system, forcing you to buy the games as soon as they're released to not miss out on them.

Now, I can understand the reasoning behind this to some degree. Of course they're going to have some sort of early event to encourage people to buy it sooner rather than later, but that may not be possible for some people, but in the event that you can't buy the games in time (for instance, if you're too young to work or unemployed), it's a bit unfair if that's your only opportunity to get a particular Pokemon. *coughGenesect*

The DW was even worse in this regard, because once BW2 came out, BW1 lost almost all support for DW promotions and many DW skins and dolls were only available within the game's launch window. Pretty much, if you didn't get BW2 the day it released, you missed out on a lot for no real reason.

In general, they do an okay job with the events, I think, but there's still a few problems that need to be sorted out.

randomspot555

The events serve primarily to promote the games, mostly the latest games. In a few cases, they distributed events for games BEFORE new games came out and would announce that trading the events to new, soon-to-be-released games would unlock content (see: Gen 4 Arceus event, Gen 4 Dog Trio event for Gen 5). Now they're just waiting and making them exclusive to the new games.

You also have to keep in mind that before future games are released, BW1 were the only ones getting events. There was no Liberty Island key item in BW2 and while BW2 owners could get a Victini, it'd be an event one and they couldn't capture it themseves and nickname it, or beat it up repeatedly for EVs.

BW1 still had that special Sinnoh starter thing for the DW if you purchased it from Target for a while.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
It was irritating when I had Emerald and FR, and could NOT complete my Dex. I needed 5 events to complete my Emerald Dex, and Zangoose. Irritating.

Now, that we have access to online events and online trades, it has been made much, much easier to complete your Dex. If you can say you completed the D/P Dexes and on, it's not NEARLY as impressive as every Pokemon on earlier games without hacks.

thecutecelefable

the fairy trainer
this probably not the place for this but I am going to the next Gen like every game there is going be Event only people i bet I as for the what i think of events some of them are great of course wifi events suck for people who don't have wifi in their homes and in-store stuff you have to have a ride to get to them

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
If your beef is with having to drive somewhere for an event, most Game Stops and Toys R Us are within these things called "strip malls" or "commercial districts", where several retail outlets and restaurants are all within a given area. If you're going grocery shopping, getting a bite to eat, or getting some clothes from Target, then you can ALSO swing by the Game Stop to get your Pokeymanz.

But if you can't figure something like this out, then that's unfortunate. But in no way is that a failure on the event's part. And I don't see why you're poor planning has anything to do with your "dignity".
Now see? Look at that. Finally gave out a valid example of getting Gamestop events. Pat yourself on the back. Still, it sound stupid to me, knowing I'm just going to waste money to seem like I'm doing something when primarily there for an event. Even so, I never said anything about the event being a failure because I dont like it. Of course not everyone is going to feel the same as me about it. My post was primarily talking about wifi users and you hopped on me about Gamestop events. -_-

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The "Japan only", or vast majority of them anyway, events are mostly because they are in honor of specific Japanese cultural celebrations or events. They aren't intended to be events for around the world, or even across the country of Japan. They're meant for that specific town or that specific day or that specific event (IE concert, movie, historical anniversary, etc...)

Forgot about this. Yeah, most of the Japanese events wouldn't have been worth doing internationally, but there's been a couple this gen that I feel should've made it. Off the top of my head, the shiny Rayquaza to tie in with Pokemon Conquest, the shiny Hydreigon/Golurk from the 14th movie, and the U.S. never saw the Lightningrod Pikachu event (luckily that one was breedable, but still).

The events serve primarily to promote the games, mostly the latest games. In a few cases, they distributed events for games BEFORE new games came out and would announce that trading the events to new, soon-to-be-released games would unlock content (see: Gen 4 Arceus event, Gen 4 Dog Trio event for Gen 5). Now they're just waiting and making them exclusive to the new games.

I can name several events that don't specifically promote games. The Meloetta event, for one, wasn't tied to a particular game's release.

You also have to keep in mind that before future games are released, BW1 were the only ones getting events. There was no Liberty Island key item in BW2 and while BW2 owners could get a Victini, it'd be an event one and they couldn't capture it themseves and nickname it, or beat it up repeatedly for EVs.

At least in BW1's case, there were later Victini events for people who didn't get the games at launch. Meanwhile, we haven't seen hide nor hair of another Genesect event for people who didn't get BW2 at launch.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
And I don't see why you're poor planning has anything to do with your "dignity".

"Poor planning"? So it's the fans' faults if they can't get a Pokemon in their games? That's ridiculous. You're completely overlooking the fact that kids can't just go wherever they want (i.e. they can't drive and some may have parents who don't want to drive to an event location). Fans shouldn't have to waste their time going to Game Stop or Toys R Us just to download data into their games. Imo, there should at least be a Wi-Fi alternative for all events to make things more convenient. It's absurd to blame fans for Nintendo's poor event organization.