• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions On My Soul Silver Team?

EvilTyranitar

Hey everybody, as some of you may know, I posted a thread a while ago with a bunch of pokemon on it and I was trying to put together a team. From the advice of other people and through research on various sites, I finally chose the team of 6 I will use. If you could take a look and give me some feedback I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 255 Hp / 255 Spd
Nature: Careful
-Confuse Ray
-Toxic
-Super Fang
-Fly

This is my crobat lead. This thing works wonders. I start with a confuse ray to limit my opponent's ability to attack. Then try to poison it with toxic. From there I either use super fang or fly to do damage. Fly is meant more for stalling purposes than it is to be a strong attack. Because this crobat doesn't need to rely on it's attack or special attack, I was able to use EVs and nature to give it some bulk. It holds black sludge as a way to heal and to discourage trick.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 255 Hp / 255 Def
Nature: Docile
-Toxic
-Minimize
-Psychic
-Softboiled

This blissey is my toxic staller/special wall. It runs a pretty simple set. First poison with toxic, use minimize to raise evasiveness, psychic to take care of fighting type threats, and softboiled to heal.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Naive
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-Rock Slide
-Grass Knot

This is a standard MixedNape. It has max speed and good coverage. Pretty basic stuff.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Punch

My physical sweeper is dragonite. It uses DD to boost attack and speed, then does a lot of damage using it's great coverage.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature: Brave
-Power Whip
-Synthesis
-Sleep Powder
-Earthquake

Tangrowth is my physical wall. It has great HP and defense. Sleep power puts opponents to sleep (obviously), synthesis is to heal, and power whip and EQ do a good amount of damage.

Metagross @ Choice Band/Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch
-Explosion

This is my metagross. It's meant to work mostly as a revenge kill using either massive attack or speed depending on the item (band for in-game, scarf for battling real people). I also have several pokemon on my team who have weaknesses to ice types, and metagross will serve as my main method of dealing with those ice types.

Well that's my team! Please let me know what you think and give me any pointers you think might help! Thanks and have a nice day!

Last edited:

koosbane

master breeder
Starmie modest or timid.

I don't like the crobat but that's just me.
Crobat
Adamant
~ Brave bird
~ Cross poison
~ Roost
~ Faint attack/aerial ace/U-turn

Aura Sensei™

User Title
^ Timid.

Seismic Tosss > Psychic , as I've explained before.

I'd say use something like Tangrowth > Garchomp , you already have D-Nite. You can run Sleep Powder / Earthquake / Power Whip / Swords Dance.

EvilTyranitar

Thanks for your opinions guys!
I'm gonna keep starmie as it is right now, and maybe find something else to put in its place later.

Koosbane, I appreciate your recommendation on crobat's moveset. But my intention with crobat was to be more of a wallbreaker, not so much a physical attacker.

And Sensai, I always appreciate your advice. I know how you feel about blissey knowing psychic instead of seismic toss. But it's already on my SS so I'm just gonna leave it with psychic for now. Maybe if I have some spare time when I'm done training metagross I'll look into raising another blissey with seismic toss. And I've been looking for a replacement for chomp, but I don't really like tangrowth. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again guys!

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Well maybe Leafeon? It could use Leaf Blade / Swords Dance / Aerial Ace / Return. If not then maybe a Psychic Type like Hypno could work for some Support. I know it's rare to see one but it could work. If you're looking for a supportive set then Thunder Wave / Calm Mind / Psychic / Wish is good.

EvilTyranitar

I have a question about my metagross. Would earthquake be a better choice than meteor mash? I realize that meteor mash has more power, but EQ has better accuracy and, in combination with bullet punch and t-punch, would give it great coverage. Thoughts?

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I'd say so , since you're not running an Agility set , which in that case , MM would be better.

EvilTyranitar

So you'd say metagross is good as I have it posted?

EvilTyranitar

Well my plan was to use the band for in-game stuff, since nothing will be able to outspeed it anyway, and it will be fun to just wreck everything with its massive attack. But in any situation when I'm playing against real people, I'm planning on using the scarf

EvilTyranitar

Hey guys! Just thought I'd let you know, I changed my team around, so if you could take a look at my new lineup I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Just a little nitpicking , so yeah.

Generally Earthquake will do better than Thunderpunch on Dragonite , with Dragon + Fire + Ground you get better coverage.

Swords Dance is the generic idea on Tangrowth since you're playing ingame and you have Potions.

EvilTyranitar

Thanks!
I actually wanted to do both of those, but I'm out of EQ TMs and I don't have access to swords dance :/
I figured that Tpunch and Synthesis would be my next best options, and if I manage to get either TM, I plan on changing my movesets accordingly

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Thanks!
I actually wanted to do both of those, but I'm out of EQ TMs and I don't have access to swords dance :/
I figured that Tpunch and Synthesis would be my next best options, and if I manage to get either TM, I plan on changing my movesets accordingly

If you have access to Pokemon Emerald , then you can clone a TM Earthquake. But still , the rest is fine. Maybe Aerial Ace > Thunderpunch though.

EvilTyranitar

If you have access to Pokemon Emerald , then you can clone a TM Earthquake. But still , the rest is fine. Maybe Aerial Ace > Thunderpunch though.
I don't have emerald :/ I have a bunch of meowths with pickup. So there's a chance I can get an EQ from that, but until then I'll go with aerial ace.

THEIRONDONUT

Strongest of pastrys
I do agree, unlike most others, that Psychic > Seismic Toss is a better choice, but hey, that's just me. I personally feel that maybe a Spiritomb would be a good sub for your team, i don't know how you would incorporate it into your team, but it has no weakness and it gives you good coverage with its moves. but i think your team is really coming along well, it's very strong. the only 2 things i would suggest would be: 1) maybe swap Minimize with psych up, because when an opponents sweeper uses swords dance, dragon dance, agility etc it is really annoying when a blissey takes its stat changes and mucks up its strategy for the next several turns or even possibly the game, and 2) swap super fang for Sludge Bomb/Roost/Brave Bird. other than that, i think you've got a really great team! :)

EvilTyranitar

Thanks!
I don't feel the need for spiritomb for 2 reasons. 1) I don't have easy access to one on SS 2) I already have great physical and special bulk on my team along with pretty much perfect attack coverage.
Copying swords dance, dragon dance, etc wouldn't really help blissey at all since its attack stat is horrible to begin with and it has no physical attacks anyway. And minimize is very beneficial to blissey.
And the reason I opted for super fang over other attacks is so I could invest EVs in bulk > attack and because crobat is meant to be a wall breaker. It can cut the opponent's health in half no matter how bulky it is.
But as always, I appreciate the advice. Any feedback I can get on my team is helpful :)