• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions on where some 2nd gen pokes should have have been located in GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTar-X

<-Don't wake him up!
I loved the GSC series, but I think the locations of the 2nd gen pokemon(excluding evos/pre-evos of 1st gen pokes) in Johto weren't given much thought IMO. Here is where I think some of the 2nd gen pokemon should have been located.
SPROUT TOWER:
Misdreavus instead of Gastly
HootHoot
UNION CAVE:
Teddiursa
Wooper(outside of water and inside of water)
ILEX FOREST:
Ledyba
Spinarak
Yanma
Murkrow
NATIONAL PARK(excluding the bug catching contest):
Girafarig
Stantler
Aipom
Phanphy
BURNED TOWER:
Slugma instead of Koffing
TIN TOWER:
HootHoot
Misdreavus
WHIRL ISLANDS:
Corsola
Octillery
LAKE OF RAGE:
Wooper/Quagsire(surfing)
Remoraid(fishing)
VICTORY ROAD:
Larvitar
Ursaring
Wobbuffet
MT. SILVER(inside the cave)
Wobbuffet
Dunsparce
MT. SILVER (outside in grass)
Stantler
Girafarig
*Fell free to comment on my thoughts or post some of your own; also, please donnot see this as a GS remake thread b/c it is not.

T

TheBlueDragon

I agree with some of them, but shouldn't this be in G/S/C instead of Gen.Discussion?

TyraniRay

Dragon Master
Until I beat Morty, I always thought he had one. Then it was "Oh my god, what the hell is that?" when Gengar came out. He should ave had one. I think Larvitar should be at Mt. Silver and no other place, there are many habitual reasons as well as the fact it evolves into what I like to call 'The Legendary Killer'. Advantage against all legendaries at the time except Suicune is a coincidence my ***. And very high stats to boot.

Yanma doesn't seem the type to be in a forest. I do agree with you they should have had some more thought, but personally I think the lcations they had are good as they are. Only a few changes would be good. I think they were doing more of a balancing act that generation.

Last edited:

Another Fan

Nothing Special
Yeah. I think it was fine. I didn't know any GSC pokemon when I played first and I expected nothing special. Lake of Rage is all magikarp. That is what made it special. I don't think large animals would be in a park. Misdreavus is way to awesome to be given to some random kid who went into the tower at night. Same with teddy. They wanted people to have to be far into the game for those pokemon. Lava wouldn't be in buildings.

Phoenix Knight Nova

Mineral Trainer
You also have to think about advantages that you'd get by getting stronger pokemon in earlier spots...

Misdrevus is much stronger then Ghastly, if you got one so early, it'd be much stronger then other guys you'd fight then.

I mean it'd make sense for Mareeps to live in the Grasslands before you get to Falkner but if you had one it'd rock him.

The difficulty also has to be considered.

TyraniRay said:
I think they were doing more of a balancing act that generation.
More like "Overglorifying the 1st Gen Pokémon instead of properly introducing the new Pokémon". :rolleyes:

Really. MANY 2nd Gen Pokémon were wimps, and it wouldn't make much difference, if any, to have them available in Johto. Plus, didn't it make sense? New Region, new Pokémon. It's geographically right to have a few 2nd Gen Pokémon in Kanto, seeing how those are close regions, but as far as Pokémon is concerned, it should be first priority to introduce the new characters magistrally, as RSE did.

GSC also had the OBLIGATION of introducing the Dark and Steel Type properly. Something it failed to do in addition of the sub-par introduction of the new Pokémon. Steel was seldomly featured and somewhat obtainable before Kanto, but the best ones were available only when going towards Kanto unless you had the patience of stealing Metal Coat off Magnemite. Plus, Skarmory was only found in Silver and Crystal...

Dark... NOBODY managed to know this Type before getting to Kanto. There's a SINGLE Dark Pokémon you can get before Kanto: Umbreon. And it's not much of an attacker to start with. In Crystal they had the flashing idea of having Sneasel before Blackthorn, but besides that, it all stood the same...

Another Fan said:
Yeah. I think it was fine. I didn't know any GSC pokemon when I played first and I expected nothing special. Lake of Rage is all magikarp. That is what made it special. I don't think large animals would be in a park. Misdreavus is way to awesome to be given to some random kid who went into the tower at night. Same with teddy. They wanted people to have to be far into the game for those pokemon. Lava wouldn't be in buildings.
You have points, but still. The biggest flaw of GSC was the utterly wrong focus on the 1st Gen Pokémon and the Kanto Region. Maybe they weren't anything special, and such, but they were NEW. They NEEDED spotlight. Some getting-to-know them. And no... they were MAJORLY shafted. It's utterly sad for me as a Pokémon fan to know that the first time 2nd Gen Pokémon were introduced to me properly was in the so-called failure of Pokémon Colosseum. What GSC SHOULD HAVE done, but didn't...

Phoenix Knight Nova said:
You also have to think about advantages that you'd get by getting stronger pokemon in earlier spots...

Misdrevus is much stronger then Ghastly, if you got one so early, it'd be much stronger then other guys you'd fight then.

I mean it'd make sense for Mareeps to live in the Grasslands before you get to Falkner but if you had one it'd rock him.

The difficulty also has to be considered.
The Misdreavus issue could be solved by having her until Tin Tower (Unaccessible before the last GYM in Gold, unaccessible before Pewter City in Silver, unaccessible until catching ALL Legendary Beasts in Crystal.). Plus, Gengar is much better as far as in-game purposes go... and even competitive purposes.

As for Mareep before Falkner... whoop dee doo! You'd have advantage against one single Leader instead of the SICK advantage Geodude gives you against the first 3 GYM Leaders (And even Morty if you train it a whole heck of a lot.) and Jasmine. The difficulty of Pokémon games is below par to start with. Having Geodude THAT early killed it completely...

Anyway... I agree with you completely, Tyranitar-Rex. This is my biggest gripe with GSC, and definitely their biggest flaw. I like all of your ideas...

As for Larvitar being available early on... I don't see you complaining about Dratini being available before the Elite Four. They're pretty much the same, but Dragonite was MUCH better because of tradeability with RBY (Yet another flaw...) which provided Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam. Tyranitar only had access to those Moves in Crystal and after beating Red. Plus, Tyranitar wouldn't have much of an edge, if at all, against the E4. It can defeat Will, Koga and Lance, but the rest will be quite hard. More like very hard. Dragonite, on the other hand, laughs at the entire Elite... :rolleyes:

Be sure to know what you're talking about...

Encyclopika

The Queen
^Yeah, but they could have at least put Dunceparce in a few other places besides making it ridiculously rare in one location. That sucked for me because I like that thing. :(

Another Fan

Nothing Special
Funny, when I first walked into Dark Cave (first time I saw it) on my first gold, I saw a dunsparce. That happened to my like three times before I got out of there so I figured I'd catch one later. I never found out that it was a swarm pokemon till I came here. Funny. Still, it has sparce in its name for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.