• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions regarding vegetarianism

I heard that meat cannot be digested properly too.

Anyway, this isn't a debate, everyone kinda agrees lol.

To anyone who's heard that before, It's rubbish.
Doesn't it simply take a bit longer to digest?

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
To anyone who's heard that before, It's rubbish.
Doesn't it simply take a bit longer to digest?

It depends on the type of meat you eat! If its something like bacon, that doesn't take long to digest. If you eat a how roast chicken of course its going to take longer than a flippin' bowl of vegetables

~*Lyra

Pokémaniac
I tried to be a vegetarian when I was younger and learned where my McNuggets came from, but I've matured a lot since then.

But I never learned to like red meat, only poultry and fish.

I'm just going to echo dozens have already said here: I don't mind vegetarians and vegans as long as they're not self-rightous about it.

Most aren't but there's a vocal minority out there that really is as fervent and dogmatic as fundamentalist Baptists.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
What is there really to debate? What could possibly be wrong about being a vegetarian?

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
It's not really a question of right/ wrong, more like the reasons to not eat meat, it's quite an interesting discussion since its an issue people can have a conversation about without getting offended. I'm a meat eater and it just baffles me that people exclude it from their diets, that's why I've enjoyed vegetarians explaining it me, gives me an insight into their thought process.

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
Humans are omnivorous.
We can survive by eating vegetables and/or meat.
Therefore it doesn't matter what our diet consists of, as long as we live long enough to produce the next generation.
But we are only producing the next generation so that they can produce the next generation so that they can produce the next generation - is there a better reason for us carrying on our race? (don't say god because I am atheist)
Until we work it out, I am going to say that it doesn't matter what we consume, even if it is nothing.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Humans are omnivorous.
We can survive by eating vegetables and/or meat.
Therefore it doesn't matter what our diet consists of, as long as we live long enough to produce the next generation.
But we are only producing the next generation so that they can produce the next generation so that they can produce the next generation - is there a better reason for us carrying on our race? (don't say god because I am atheist)
Until we work it out, I am going to say that it doesn't matter what we consume, even if it is nothing.

sorry, but is it right for a person to comsume nothing? Loads of people die every year because of anorexic so even nothing is bad.

and what if you cant have children. does your diet really matter then?

Rabidmunchlax

What's to debate here? Nothing ATM, but now, maybe.

I am a vegetarian. I don't like to randomly tell people how the chicken in their sandwitch was most probably left to bleed to death for over half an hour after being boiled alive to remove feathers and the only pain removal was a mild electric shock, but if in class we are doing speeches, I will talk about vegetarian diets.

I am sure that people are fed up with the moral arguments, so have some other takes.

Environmental. Cheap meat is generally made in countries like brazil due to cheap land that can be turned into farmland. Only problem is, this cheap land won't be plainland. It's rainforest. Acres of trees are cut down for fields to grow crop on and acres more to have the cows or other animals live on. Meat then needs transporting releasing more carbon dioxide and as there are less trees to absorb this, global warming intensifies.

Economic. The thing about eating meat is that when the energy comes from the sun to the plants to the human, not much energy is lost. When the energy goes from the sun to the plants to the animal to the human, almost 10 times as much energy is lost. This means ten times as much farmland is needed to feed the same amount of people. A country the size of great Britain could easily sustain a population of vegetarians without importing food.

Health. While we are omnivorous (although this is debateable) meat products contain about 20 times the amount of fat for the same amount of protein. Nuff said.

Sources: teenage vegetarians survival guide, AQA GCSE biology aditional

(brace for counter arguments

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Environmental. Cheap meat is generally made in countries like brazil due to cheap land that can be turned into farmland. Only problem is, this cheap land won't be plainland. It's rainforest. Acres of trees are cut down for fields to grow crop on and acres more to have the cows or other animals live on. Meat then needs transporting releasing more carbon dioxide and as there are less trees to absorb this, global warming intensifies.
This is rubbish. Cows eat grass, and growing grass is a carbon-negative practice. Although I admit, cattle do release large quantities of methane which is also a greenhouse gas - however it is possible to harvest this methane and use it with the right infrastructure. And vegetables also need transporting, negating that point. Oh, and growing vegetables still means you have to clear land.

The day vegetarians stop driving their cars is the day I accept the environmental argument as valid.

Economic. The thing about eating meat is that when the energy comes from the sun to the plants to the human, not much energy is lost. When the energy goes from the sun to the plants to the animal to the human, almost 10 times as much energy is lost. This means ten times as much farmland is needed to feed the same amount of people. A country the size of great Britain could easily sustain a population of vegetarians without importing food.
Huh? A population consuming entirely home-grown vegetables would actually not be sustainable, A: because such an intense amount of farming would require equally environmentally-hazardous fertilisers, B: because not all the available nutrients are available in the vegetables that will grow in a certain climate or on the available farmland, C: some nutrients are only available to us in meat, and D: not everyone can afford a homegrown vegetarian diet. And E: what happens if someone in Britain wants a banana? I didn't realise England was in the tropics...

Seriously though, importing is expensive, we all know that. It sometimes can't be avoided - but if you need a source of protein and it just doesn't grow in the soil where you live, somehow you have to transform the native grasses on the ground into a source of edible nutrients.

The answer? An animal.

Your arbitrary figures relating energy to farm acreage mean very little in a logical, nutritional sense.
Health. While we are omnivorous (although this is debateable) meat products contain about 20 times the amount of fat for the same amount of protein. Nuff said.
It's not debatable at all. Humans are omnivorous. If you don't eat meat or meat products, you will become just as malnourished as if you don't eat f&v. Both B-vitamins and omega-3,6,12 fatty acids are essential nutrients and cannot be obtained in a vegan diet.

Also, your misleading figures fail to mention that although there is indeed far more fat to protein in a piece of meat, you have to eat A LOT of veg to get anywhere near as much protein as a piece of meat. Some people just don't have bottomless stomachs for spinach and lentils - eating meat is an economical way to obtain protein and, believe it or not, fat isn't actually that bad for you. If you try it, I think you'll find it makes food quite agreeable to eat and it contains plenty of yummy energy for activity.

I'll tell you what isn't healthy - not exercising. If you don't exercise you can get fat even if you live on fruit.

Sources: teenage vegetarians survival guide, AQA GCSE biology aditional
A source with the word 'teenage' in its title?..

Ran-neechan

Dumb Office Lady
Some of you are going to hate me for this but, I will probably never go vegetarian because I'm asian. If there are any PURE asians on this forum, they will all agree with me. Asians are CRUEL to animals. In my culture, eating the fetus of a developing egg is a sign of manhood.

mibler

It's not debatable at all. Humans are omnivorous. If you don't eat meat or meat products, you will become just as malnourished as if you don't eat f&v. Both B-vitamins and omega-3,6,12 fatty acids are essential nutrients and cannot be obtained in a vegan diet.

Also, your misleading figures fail to mention that although there is indeed far more fat to protein in a piece of meat, you have to eat A LOT of veg to get anywhere near as much protein as a piece of meat. Some people just don't have bottomless stomachs for spinach and lentils - eating meat is an economical way to obtain protein and, believe it or not, fat isn't actually that bad for you. If you try it, I think you'll find it makes food quite agreeable to eat and it contains plenty of yummy energy for activity.

Various seeds contain Omega-3, and Omega-6 acids...and various fruit including bananas contain vitamin B...So yes they can be obtained in vegan diets....

Also, things like nuts, and beans contain large amounts of protein, a cup of soybeans has almost 30 Grams of protein in it, and 100 grams of peanuts has about 25 grams of proteins, and peanuts also contain Vitamin B...

I choose to not eat poultry or red meat, I do however occaisionally eat fish, and I don't really care if people think its stupid or not, I do it mainly because the taste/texture of meat is gross to me... disliking the meat market isn't really a reason for me... and I do agree with pretty much most everything else you said which is why I left it out

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Various seeds contain Omega-3, and Omega-6 acids...and various fruit including bananas contain vitamin B...So yes they can be obtained in vegan diets....
You still cannot naturally obtain B12 reliably beyond meat, dairy, and eggs.
The others, you have to do a very impressive balancing act in eating to remain healthy.

It's very easy to go wrong and harm yourself on a vegan diet if you don't plan every little bit of it just right. Many people really don't have the time and money to bother with a vegan diet and its possible health complications.

To me, it's a whole lot less stressful to just have a burger or something than having to endlessly pore over my health and plan for what nut I'm going to be eating and such. I'm alright with vegetarians and vegans, but I'm not alright with the people who press their diet on other people without telling them any of the risks, like the whole 'you could get anemia and permanent nerve damage' thing that arises from B12 deficiency.